2012 Itinerary Changed

Senior Citizen

Does anyone have 2012 cruises reserved where O has changed the itinerary rather significantly? We have one that was supposed to start in Istanbul but is now starting in Venice. All the ports except Istanbul were Greek ports. Now, they have replaced some of the Greek ports with Kotor and Dubrovnik. These ports are fine except once you've seen them, there's not much to see the second time around. And, we booked this cruise because it was supposed to be all about the Greek islands (or so I thought). I guess I am just surprised that one itinerary is advertised and then three of the ports are changed---not due to strife, volcanoes, etc. This is rather unusual, don't you think?

Changing to Dubrovnik and Kotor from Greek Isles does make sense if the cruise starts in Venice instead of Istanbul, just because of logistics. But Istanbul to Venice seems like a REALLY big change! Which cruise was this? Which ship? If it was one of the new ships first cruises then maybe its a timing issue??

Hi Senior Citizen

Istanbul changed to Venice is indeed significant. We very much like Venice but Istanbul is on my hot list. At least the cruise is far enough away that cancelling, other than the disappointment, would not cause too much damage.

I too am puzzled that they would need to make such a change at this date.

Hope it works out for you.

It is a big change.

Depending on how far out the cruise is, there may be consequences for some people for cancelling, such as airfare cancellation fees or fees for re-depositing of FF miles.

Presumably the cruise itself can still be canceled w/o penalty.

Oceania cancelled the Tunisian and Egyptian ports on the Barcelona to Istanbul cruise on the Riviera and sustituted two small Turkish ports, which is a game breaker for me. However before I cancel, I plan to wait to see if they are put back as Princess has put back Egypt to their cruises.

Oceania cancelled the Tunisian and Egyptian ports on the Barcelona to Istanbul cruise on the Riviera and sustituted two small Turkish ports, which is a game breaker for me. However before I cancel, I plan to wait to see if they are put back as Princess has put back Egypt to their cruises.

Oceania may have cancelled Port Said and Alexandria but not Luxor and Sharm El Sheikh. We just got back from there and spent 3 days in Egypt. They cancelled Port Said and Alexandria for our safety!! Arlene

Hi Senior Citizen

Istanbul changed to Venice is indeed significant. We very much like Venice but Istanbul is on my hot list. At least the cruise is far enough away that cancelling, other than the disappointment, would not cause too much damage.

I too am puzzled that they would need to make such a change at this date.

Hope it works out for you.

Hi YOHOHO.

We booked back-to-back cruises for August 8 and 18. One goes to the Black Sea and the other does (was going to do) the Greek islands. I was planning on flying to Istanbul for the first cruise and flying out of Istanbul after the second cruise.

We flew out of Venice last year after a cruise that included Dubrovnik and Kotor. We spent 4 nights in Venice and don't need to go back there so soon.

We are currently in Prague, spending a few weeks in Europe before jumping on the Marina (again!) so I am reacting to an email that Oceania just sent to my travel agent. It's quite early so we could cancel but then that means canceling two cruises! I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on such an itinerary change.

That would also mean a major change to those on the previous cruise too since it looks like this is the Regatta? That's not until next August so nobody could have booked airfare yet. The previous cruise to the 8/8 one is Rome to Venice, the 8/8 one is Venice to Athens the one after the Baltic Sea (Athens to Istanbul on 8/18) is Istanbul to Venice. So did they also change the late July cruise from Rome to Istanbul to be Rome to Venice? Or did you have a different ship booked for Istanbul to Athens for 8/8? Just trying to understand everything involved.

Our June, 2012 Riviera cruise also dropped overnight Barcelona in favor of overnight Monaco. Our TA was told it was because the port of Barcelona overbooked. I might have accepted that explaination if it happened once. However if this is happening on multiple cruises stopping in Barcelona and for other cruises as well, then I am beginning to have serious concerns about Oceania. At least we are far away from final payment however it is getting close to making some decisions on booking air.

Our June, 2012 Riviera cruise also dropped overnight Barcelona in favor of overnight Monaco. Our TA was told it was because the port of Barcelona overbooked. I might have accepted that explaination if it happened once. However if this is happening on multiple cruises stopping in Barcelona and for other cruises as well, then I am beginning to have serious concerns about Oceania. At least we are far away from final payment however it is getting close to making some decisions on booking air.

Maybe Barcelona is charging very high docking fees due to its popularity (supply and demand)?

Just what has changed for the Riviera TA itinerary?

I see nothing has changed but your other thread implied it had

Before I check the itinerary I posted here

wires crossed:eek:

OK

are we done now?

All cruise lines tend to do some tweaking to their itineraries...and for a variety of reasons...

The urge is to get the itineraries out to the public as early as possible...The cruise lines want to start selling...and want to at least match the competition in getting their itineraries out on the market...and, the cruising public seems to demand it...

So, they put itineraries out there, then discover things that make them decide to change--like too many ships in the same port on a particular day...or some local issue that will cause things to be closed on the day planned...or announced construction that forces the closure of a dock...

We've had some minor tweaks on Oceania...In 2006, they switched our dates for Athens and Santorini based on the number of ships planned to be in Santorini the day we were scheduled...and didn't let us know until we were on the ship...For our upcoming Marina cruise, they replaced a second day in Bordeaux with a stop in Biarritz...and they moved a stop in L'Orient to Concarneau...I look at all of these as minor...a touch disruptive to planning, but livable...

And, like I said, other cruise lines do it as well...Our July 2012 Celebrity Eclipse cruise to Iceland/Norway has already had two ports in Norway changed...rather than the originally announced Alesund and Olden, we're headed to Molde and Flam...a "ships in port" thing...

Yes, Venice for Istanbul is a considerable change...but, they must have had a reason...It is early, so, sticking with it or not is up to you...

I see nothing has changed but your other thread implied it had

Before I check the itinerary I posted here

wires crossed:eek:

OK

are we done now?

Did not imply anything. You assumed something...and it was wrong. It seems that's the way your mind works differently than mine. Too bad that you can't admit that you were mistaken.

We cruised the Caribbean and Amazon earlier this year on Regatta, and had several port issues. One port was switched several months before departure. They didn't tell us about another switch until we boarded. They claimed that was related to fuel availability. We skipped another port, allegedly because waves prevented a safe tender operation. We were several hours late to a key port in the Amazon, which caused us to miss half our private tour. I complained aboard ship, and in writing and through my travel agent after returning home. Three months later, they haven't given me a reply. I'm looking at other lines for our next cruise. LittleRedJohn

Cruise companies will always change ports for a variety of reasons -- too many ships, rough seas, port charges too high. We all go with the expectation that we will go to exactly where they said we would go. Let me tell you what Oceania did that was really incredible. We were sailing in April from Dubai to Athens with many stops along the Red Sea -- Egypt, Jordan, Israel. Immediately after the Egypt Revolution started, they came out with an alternate itinerary saying in effect if we can't go there, we'll go here. We all knew that and we weren't going in harm's way. As it turned out we went to every port that was on the itinerary with the expection of Port Said, Egypt (too close to Cairo). Other cruise lines namely Royal Caribbean cancelled ALL OF THE PORTS on the Red Sea -- Their Azamara Quest was one of those ships. As it turned out the two ships (or more) went from Dubai or Oman directly to Santorini and Rome, respectivey. 9 DAYS AT SEA -- it was the cruise to nowhere. Isn't it better that Oceania will get us to where we should be or where they think it is safer, than to skip a port altogether.

We were in Med several years ago and the Port of Barcelona was closed:eek: because of storms. Can you imagine all the ships hanging around not being able to dock? So if itineraries are changed, we have the option (before we pay) to cancel and go elsewhere. There will always be some place for us to go and if not this time, then next time. Arlene;)

Looks like Egypt ports are back on the April 24th, Riveria cruise. According to the Oceania website they are. They had been replaced a few weeks back by a Turkish port + Santorini but have reappeared. Tried to get that confirmed today but as usual the Oceania office in Aust "knows nothing about it". But they don't know much about anything. I hope they have been returned as that is the deal breaker for us.

Rhonda,

Our TA sent us a revised itinerary several days ago which shows Cairo and Alexandria as being back in. There are two very minor changes other than this -- an hour more in Kusadasi and I forget what the other one was but it was similar in nature.

Mura

Archived