Muster Drill w/a toddler

jlrn366419

Ok, so I know how much fun a muster drill is in the Florida humidity. I also know how much fun it is to be packed in like sardines while wearing a life vest. What exactly happens when you have a squirmy, irritable toddler with you? I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst here...if he acts like a wild animal do they let you out of the sardine can to meander about? I know we can't leave the drill, not asking to nor do I expect that. I've also read that Oasis has some of the drills inside depending on your deck? Whats the deal with that?

You do have to go to the drill (don't have to bring your life jacket), but if your toddler begins to feel out of sorts during the drill, you can ask if you can just walk inside and let them wander, or if your tot is really noisy, just leave - trust me, the crew and guests would rather have the toddler happy and not screaming =)

On carnival, i was totally prepared to stand out there with a life jacket and a screaming one year old. However, they pulled me aside as i was walking to the station, sent me on my way to a lounge and had me sit there with the baby during the drill. In the air condition and not crammed with strangers. :D

The muster drill is always on day one, and my kids are always exhausted. I take special candy with me or a snack that keeps them busy (like fruit snacks). On my last trip, my oldest was three and I just let her work the crowd and walk around and talk to people. The staff actually liked that and made us all have a great time.

I really am dreading this part of our cruise. In the past we have cruised on Princess where you are usually in a lounge or theater and it's not so bad. I'm not sure how standing out with a 11 month old is going to be.

I remember back when we first started cruising in the 80's and you had to wear your lifejacket and stand out on the deck in the steaming heat and sun and it seemed like it was FOREVER!

Now (and can only speak for NCL) it's inside, you don't bring your lifejackets and it's over in about 10-15 minutes. It's a breeze.

You could probably go to the Royal Carribean boards and ask someone specifically about the Oasis on how they run their drills, how long, and where they do them.

It just depends on your cabin. Most lines have changed the policy so you no longer need to bring or wear your life jacket to the drill, but the majority still have a good number of the drill meeting places outdoors.

If people would just be polite and report in a timely manner, the drill would be done quickly. It's the people who think they are above it all that hold up everyone and make the drill take a long time.

RCI cruise ships no longer require passengers to bring the life vests. :D So that means Oasis! That's good news #1. The 2nd thing is your "squirmy, freaking out child" will be DISMISSED from the drill if they do seriously freak out. Gee, I loved when my kids did that! :p

So, not to worry. If your child does become upset, you will be excused from the drill. God bless them! :D

Last year when we were on Majesty, they had all the kids stand in the front of the lines(with a parent behind them). It was nice that my 7 yr old was not squished in the back all hot and crowded. We looked out at the port and played "I Spy" while we waited. No life jackets to be brought either and it was fairly fast.

I won't lie to you; our muster drill was a worst-case-scenario in terms of child meltdowns. Our DS is 4 and very hyper. We were on Celebrity and couldn't rely on being able to hide in a big crowd of loud families with kids. We didn't have to bring our life jackets, but we did have to show up and view a video. Our son was exhausted and totally lost it. I had candy for him, but it didn't work. People were staring at us. My DH took our DS to the back of the room, and all I could hear was him yelling "I want to see Maaaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaaa!!!"

We were able to slip away in the crowd after the drill......... We were totally humiliated but decided not to let it get us down. We all got a good night's sleep and had a great cruise. So, even if the worst happens, do your best and don't worry about it!

Being a veteran of multiple infant to toddler cruises I can tell you that you really dont need to worry about this. The main thing is to go and get your name checked off in the beginning, after that typically you are good to go. The following are proven options.

1. Ask to stand out of the line, hopefully near the door for a quick get away once the drill is over.

2. Ask to leave once your name is checked off. (usually will work on most lines as long as someone such as your husband/wife stays to represent the family. RCCL in my experience is usually the most strict out of all lines.)

3. Send Spouse. You stay in cabin with child. Worst case, you will attend a make up drill (never heard of this happening)but most likely you get a letter explaining the drill and advising you of the importance of the drill. I do not advocate this method but do to a sleeping child this option has been used a couple of times when the little one was a weebal.

We just got off Oasis. No life jackets needed, and our "station" was at Cafe Promenade. They scan your SeaPass card so they know you are there, and then you watch a video on the TV screens. It was pretty informal, my son just kinda looked around at the fancy car on the promenade, as well as the cupcake store inventory :-)

Archived