tips aboutEmeraled Princess cruise ship please!

Holey

Hi to all,

we are on the Emeraled the end of Oct Southern Carribbean.

Wondered if anyone had any tips or where we can find any on the forums.. Im finding it a little bit hard to find my way around.

We are sailing from Ft Lauderdale, When is the earliest you can board? adult swim pools, Prices of drinks, Cabins ect.

Oh this is our first cruise with Princess. Also is it easy to do your own thing the Carribbean. Could we make our way round places easy?

We are flying from London Heathrow Whats the transfers like with Princess. Hoping for some responses. A very exited middle aged lady.:confused:

Haven't been on the Emerald yet but will remedy that in August. As far as transfers in Ft Lauderdale it is a very short ride to the ship. In fact I have seen the ship as we landed several times depending on the approach. As you walk to pick up the luggage a Princess rep will meet you and direct you from there. Make sure your luggage is marked for the ship. We once checked in early at Newark and they put our luggage on an earlier flight for some reason. When we arrived our luggage wasnt in Ft Lauderdale. I was very concerned because I had planned to put lPrincess tags on when we collected luggage. Anyway turns out the Princess rep saw the unclaimed luggage, checked her list and matched our names to luggage and sent bags to the ship. We bravely went on and boarded not knowing if we had clothes or not until we returned from dinner and saw them by our cabin. What a relief! Anyway Princess makes it very easy to get to ship. As far as getting around on the islands depends on what you are looking for. Some places tours are safer. The economy is not good and the residents can be very aggressive in the attempt to sell things. Enjoy your trip

Hi

We were on Emerald 11/28/1-. We got on board at about 11:30 AM . You will love the ship. Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise? On the Roll Call you will find others that are sailing with you.

When you get off the ship in the Islands, there will be lots of taxis that will want to give you a tour. Or you can get a ship's tour.

I was on the Emerald in Nov. 2009. She is a gorgeous ship! Be sure to visit the International Cafe on the Plaza Deck (Dec 5). The chicken salad and gelatos are wonderful!

The earliest you can board is generally around 11:00 - 11:30 am - depends on how fast the prior cruise passengers have disembarked and how fast the ship is cleaned.

If you like real coffee (not syrupy swill), I would suggest you purchase a coffee card for lattes, cappuccinos, etc. and *real* brewed coffee. Princess also offers a soda card for unlimited sodas.

What confuses people most about the Emerald (and the Ruby and the Crown) are how to get to the Botticelli (Traditional) Dining Room and how to get to the Putt Putt course/jogging track. The issue is that not every elevator goes to every deck, and not every deck can be traveled from the front of the ship to the back (and vice versa).

First, think of Deck 7 (Promenade) as your interstate (or your A1 in England, I believe,;)). If you want to go from the front to the back of the ship without going outside and without going through a corridor of passenger cabins, Deck 7 is the only one that will work. You can also go from front to back on Deck 15 (Lido), but you'll have to go outside mid ship (covered on the sides, but exposed to the elements) and pass by the irritating MUTS pool.

If your dining room is the Botticelli (Deck 6, aft), the only way to reach it is via the aft elevator or stairs. You cannot be on Deck 6 in the Piazza and walk back to the Botticelli. It is one of those cases of "you can't get there from here". If you're enjoying a drink on Decks 5 or 6, you must go up the midship or forward stairs or elevator to Deck 7, walk to the aft elevator bank, and go down one deck via elevator or stairs. (The reason: the galley is on Deck 6 just forward of the Botticelli Dining Room).

If you want to go to Skywalkers via an inside route, you must take the aft elevator (or stairs) up to Deck 18. I'm getting a bit confused here...on some ships, only the outer two elevators go up to Deck 18; on others, all 4 do. I think on the Emerald all four do, but I'm not certain. If you want to go to the putt putt course/jogging track, there is just one elevator (the left most as you face the elevators) that goes up to Deck 19, where they are located. Or you can take a set of stairs from Deck 18 to Deck 19. These are well hidden on the port side of the elevator lobby, quite dark and narrow. Once you get to the top, you'll wind around a bit by the golf simulator to reach the door to the putt putt course (on the aft side) or the jogging track (on the forward side).

To leave the ship in port, you'll use the forward or midship elevators, which are the only ones that go to Deck 4.

Doing your own thing is quite easy on Aruba, Bonaire, St. Thomas and Grenada. On Aruba, you can take bus #10 to Eagle or Palm beach. On Bonaire you can take the water taxi to Klein Bonaire for amazing snorkeling, or rent a cool mini-car/moped right at the pier to tour around on your own. On St. Thomas, if the ship is at Crown Bay, the ferry to Water Island is convenient and that is one of the best (and quietest) beaches on St. Thomas. On Grenada, take the water taxi to Grand Anse Beach (watch your time; on most itineraries, you have to be back on the ship by 1:30pm). Dominica is a bit tougher to see on your own, as there is nothing right by the pier, but there are plenty of sightseeing opportunities available as you disembark the ship.

Have fun!

Hi to all,

Wondered if anyone had any tips or where we can find any on the forums.. Im finding it a little bit hard to find my way around.

We are sailing from Ft Lauderdale, When is the earliest you can board? adult swim pools, Prices of drinks, Cabins ect.

Oh this is our first cruise with Princess. Also is it easy to do your own thing the Carribbean. Could we make our way round places easy?

We are flying from London Heathrow Whats the transfers like with Princess. Hoping for some responses. A very exited middle aged lady.:confused:

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise.

• They start boarding around the stated time for your cruise. As this is your first cruise there will be a lengthy queue. If you happen to arrive really early there is a system where people are admitted by number (get the numbered ticket from the person inside the building)
  • All pools are nice, although one closest to the Horizon Court also has MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) which can be noisy. The pool at the stern is small, deep, and supposed to be adults only.
  • Transfers are easy - just look for the Princess representatives when you get off the plane - they will tell you where and when to meet. The actual transfer is a short bus ride. Seeing as you are coming from the UK, by using the transfer you need not worry about paying a cabbie.
  • Be prepared to tip the porters at dockside. They are not Princess employees. I think 50 cents - 1 dollar per bag is customary.
  • Onboard ship - investigate Cafe Caribe for casual evening dining. it is a cafeteria style but the food is excellent and often will offer something different than the main dining rooms. For instance we've had German night there. The table service there can be excellent as well.
  • Investigate the Cruise Critic Ports of Call boards for doing things on your own. All ports in the Caribbean have a shopping area near the ship. If your ship docks at Antigua, I recommend Nelson's Dockyard - we took a ship's tour and could have used more time there.

Hi

If you are doing the cruise as a package with Princess, you will fly to Miami and stay overnight at the Intercontinental Doral Miami.

Princess will then transfer you to the ship the next day, they usually leave the hotel at midday and generally you will be on the ship by 1ish. It always runs really smoothly with Princess. I will be doing it for the 3rd time in October.

If you arent doing the whole package with Princess, then ignore what Ive said:D

Hi

If you are doing the cruise as a package with Princess, you will fly to Miami and stay overnight at the Intercontinental Doral Miami.

Princess will then transfer you to the ship the next day, they usually leave the hotel at midday and generally you will be on the ship by 1ish. It always runs really smoothly with Princess. I will be doing it for the 3rd time in October.

If you arent doing the whole package with Princess, then ignore what Ive said:D

Hi Ya ! first of all thanks for all our tips... Yes we are at the Doral Would it be worth our while getting a taxi to the ship?

When in October are you going? we are the 29th October. But on return we are staying for an extra week. Hiring a car and going to the keys.:o

To leave the ship in port, you'll use the forward or midship elevators, which are the only ones that go to Deck 4.

Doing your own thing is quite easy on Aruba, Bonaire, St. Thomas and Grenada. On Aruba, you can take bus #10 to Eagle or Palm beach. On Bonaire you can take the water taxi to Klein Bonaire for amazing snorkeling, or rent a cool mini-car/moped right at the pier to tour around on your own. On St. Thomas, if the ship is at Crown Bay, the ferry to Water Island is convenient and that is one of the best (and quietest) beaches on St. Thomas. On Grenada, take the water taxi to Grand Anse Beach (watch your time; on most itineraries, you have to be back on the ship by 1:30pm). Dominica is a bit tougher to see on your own, as there is nothing right by the pier, but there are plenty of sightseeing opportunities available as you disembark the ship.

Thanks for all the port tips!

Hi to all,

Hi Holey,

1st) We are on the same cruise so come join the roll call!!:)

2nd) -Thanks for starting this thread, as this will only be our 2nd time with Princess -and I love getting all the extra tips ! When we were on the Crown in 2008 -we loved the adult pool in the back of the ship- 2 decks up (if I am remembering correctly) was the Horizen court buffet which we could walk up too.. They have a yummy grill food -hamburgers/hot dogs and chips :D,by the main pool..

Hope to see you on the roll call.

Kathyr

COLOR]

we were on the Crown in 2008

The only difference you'll notice between the Crown and the Emerald is the location of the shore excursion desk.

Crown - Deck 6 in Piazza

Emerald - Deck 7 in front of theater

Most people don,t know it is there which leaves the best looking bar less crowded

Agreed. Been there many times after dinner and we had the place to ourselves.

For something cool at sail away, or when entering/leaving port, go to deck 15 all the way forward. There are a series of doors that lead outside to a deck above the bridge. Pretty cool place, but it may be closed when at sea or windy.

If you go to the Horizon Court buffet for breakfast, seating adjacent to the buffet may be hard to find. You can walk a few steps further toward the rear of the ship and almost always find a seat in the Cafe Caribe area.

Hi Ya ! first of all thanks for all our tips... Yes we are at the Doral Would it be worth our while getting a taxi to the ship?

The short trip from the airport that several people have mentioned is from the Fort Lauderdale airport.

You will be landing at the Miami airport and staying not far from it. A taxi ride to the ship would probably be $75-$100.

If you probably already have Princess transfers in your package, stay with those.

Hi Holey,

1st) We are on the same cruise so come join the roll call!!:)

2nd) -Thanks for starting this thread, as this will only be our 2nd time with Princess -and I love getting all the extra tips ! When we were on the Crown in 2008 -we loved the adult pool in the back of the ship- 2 decks up (if I am remembering correctly) was the Horizen court buffet which we could walk up too.. They have a yummy grill food -hamburgers/hot dogs and chips :D,by the main pool..

Hope to see you on the roll call.

Kathyr

COLOR]

Hi their Kathryn, I think I have been on the roll call!! It was last year (i think) it appears to be loadz of pages so I may be lost in their...

Its lovely to talk to you. We have sailed with R C and P.O. before, but they are all a little different.

Im from a little town called Wottoon Bassett England. Where are you living? Hope I dont appear to nosy just interested.

The short trip from the airport that several people have mentioned is from the Fort Lauderdale airport.

You will be landing at the Miami airport and staying not far from it. A taxi ride to the ship would probably be $75-$100.

If you probably already have Princess transfers in your package, stay with those.

Thankyou thats a big help. Wasnt sure how far we where away. I think we may.

When in October are you going? we are the 29th October. But on return we are staying for an extra week. Hiring a car and going to the keys.:o

Hi,

I am going on 9th October. I would definantley stick with the Princess transfers. Its not worth paying the $100 ( at least that amount may be more).

Its really well organised, and they get you there just at the right time. Usually around 1-1.30ish and I usually find i am checked in and in my cabin within 20 minutes:D

I have an inside room (L237) on the lido deck. Has anyone stayed in a room on the lido deck. I'm wandering if the MUTS will be too loud for an afternoon nap and anyother time.

Thanks

We were in L235 last Nov. Axross the hall form where you are. I heard nothing at all.

Archived