New Princess Cruiser - coffee - have my armor on!

indycrew

All a bit sad 'indycrew' not sailing Princess again just because of coffee issues, I scratch my head. What about all the positives on board Ruby?

Nothing in life is perfect, not even on a cruise ship. You go with the flow.

But still no excuse for rude staff, indycrew does have a point there.

I agree with other posters though, Princess has been told many times of the poor standard of the Horizon Court coffee, they still do nothing, still use that syrup in the dispensers. Not really good enough.

It's amazing the whiners on here tonight.. One person in another thread is upset because princess tried to give them a free upgrade, they complained about the location of the FREE upgrade...

Now the coffee isn't good enough, they didn't get a free mug, and god forbid they have to walk to get the coffee that meets their standards. The coffee was so bad it sounds like it ruined their trip, and they will never cruise princess again..

It's all a perfect example of some people will just always find something to complain about..

You are complaining about complainers. How is this not whining? Why do you care if a whiner doesn’t want to sail Princess anymore? Do you work for Princess?:rolleyes:

There have been sooooo many threads about the poor coffee on Princess ships, I really don't understand why and effort has been made on their part to make some changes in making the coffee. I am not a big coffee drinker ,I drink mostly tea, but my DH likes coffee so I do wish Princess would try a different process in their coffee. After all , all they need to do is look around any town, city. Coffee is Big business, and would be a great draw to get people to cruise Princess , if people were talking about how good the coffee is instead of how bad it is.

The crew member that was rude to the OP is another thing entirely, I wasn't there so I don't know both sides , but the crew member should not be rude.

What ever ......Hey Princess , do you read these boards ? if so

IT"S THE COFFEE!!!!

Cori

We just finished our sailing on the CBP and I still don't understand the coffee card I purchased. The specialty coffee menu listed iced coffee as one of the items. Day 1 my parents got a coffee from the IC and an iced coffee and were charged for both. I bought a coffee card for my husband and self and ordered the same - coffee and an iced coffee..one stamp on the card. Then later we ordered 2 iced coffees on day 2 - no stamp on the card but parents charged again. So day 3 we gave them our card - same order one stamp. We go back at night - same order - no stamp. I finally asked and they told me iced coffee and regular coffee are free - but then why did my parents get charged for both??? (I didn't feel like arguing we just shared the card for the rest of the 9 day trip.) At the end only 4 stamps on the card. too funny!

But I do agree the ONLY good coffee outside of the IC was the dinner coffee in the Palm Dining Room. The Horizon and the morning Coral was undrinkable to us. Worse yet the LINE at the IC was just too long to wait in most days. Our coffee IS important to us... not much else is but that is our treat everyday.

Well, I only have done one cruise. This on the Dawn Princess and here is hoping the next one is on the Ruby Princess, so will say straight away the coffee issue will not stop me from using Princess.

Before my cruise had noticed on the boards here about the bad coffee and had researched if I should take a coffeemaker, but in the end did not bother as would not be able to use it again (needed Aussie plug I'm in NZ).

In the mornings I drink black coffee, so did endure the syrup coffee and then with the coffee card bought capacinno's when I was really hanging out for a real coffee. But it was a hassle had to go to the lifts then down to the coffee shop which was serving a large area, waiting at the bar, then back up to my cabin, just to have a coffee.

To me (as an European originally) I think a proper brewed coffee should be served, after all a Princess Cruise does not have a low rank hotel/hostel status. Further I think to keep with their elegant image and with the ambience of their ships, coffee and tea should be part of the experience and should not be charged for. Have no problem with paying for a speciality coffee (like espresso and the like) or a non standard tea.

There have been sooooo many threads about the poor coffee on Princess ships, I really don't understand why and effort has been made on their part to make some changes in making the coffee. I am not a big coffee drinker ,I drink mostly tea, but my DH likes coffee so I do wish Princess would try a different process in their coffee. After all , all they need to do is look around any town, city. Coffee is Big business, and would be a great draw to get people to cruise Princess , if people were talking about how good the coffee is instead of how bad it is.

The crew member that was rude to the OP is another thing entirely, I wasn't there so I don't know both sides , but the crew member should not be rude.

What ever ......Hey Princess , do you read these boards ? if so

IT"S THE COFFEE!!!!

Cori

Now that they got so many people buying coffee cards, why would they improve their coffee? Same goes for the quality of food in the DR going downhill...people are willing to pay extra for the other dining options so the food in the DR will never go back to where it once was.

One more thing I gotta say...if you think coffee is better on other cruise lines...it's not

Coffee is a big big deal. I don't see why Princess can't give you a decent cup of coffee without an ordeal. (AND, they are not alone in that, either!) I have been laughed at by a lot of family members for running to the nearest place for a decent cup upon debarkation in any port, anywhere. We also buy the coffee card, of course.

This summer, I think I will try VIA from Starbucks.

I agree, if McDonalds can do it, why can't Princess? Maybe they could add Tim Horton's on the entire line.

Ohiodoglover

Now you're talking

Theo

Sorry to the Canadian's who think Tim Horton's is the answer, but I for one didn't like it. I'm still a Starbucks lover. And that's why we have choices.

I no longer complain about the sludge, I just use my own coffeemaker and Via and also my coffee card for a double Americano. Problem solved. :)

I just got off Caribbean Princess and I agree w/ the poster who labeled it "paint stripper." While the coffee card was welcome, I did not understand why Princess does not remedy this simple problem in light of so much discontent. Tell me again, why must I pay extra to obtain a drinkable coffee?

After being subjected to nonstop nickel & diming in-your-face-selling onboard this past week, I concur with you: Princess has no intent to improve its "free" foul swill. Serve vile stuff = increase coffee card sales.

Can you feel the love?

I really don't think Princess is making a killing on the coffee cards. Twenty-something dollars for 15 specialty drinks (which are far superior to those drinks on the lines where they're complimentary) is a great deal. Think of how labor intensive they are to make. And for those folks whose cards are so old they're printed on parchment, Princess has definitely not made any money on all the unlimited brewed they've dispensed.

All this talk of Starbucks, though, amuses me. That is some BAD coffee. I now get all my "to go" coffee at McDonalds. I won't eat that crap they call breakfast, but their plain coffee is way better than anything Starbucks produces, and if I'm with DH (a senior) it's $0.42. I'm certain they're not brewing it...wonder why Princess can't switch to that syrup.

I just got off Caribbean Princess and I agree w/ the poster who labeled it "paint stripper." While the coffee card was welcome, I did not understand why Princess does not remedy this simple problem in light of so much discontent. Tell me again, why must I pay extra to obtain a drinkable coffee?

After being subjected to nonstop nickel & diming in-your-face-selling onboard this past week, I concur with you: Princess has no intent to improve its "free" foul swill. Serve vile stuff = increase coffee card sales.

Can you feel the love?

Not a coffee comment, but just :confused: regarding the nickle and diming comment. I have never felt any of that "in your face" stuff. Why you, and not me?

Now that they got so many people buying coffee cards, why would they improve their coffee? Same goes for the quality of food in the DR going downhill...people are willing to pay extra for the other dining options so the food in the DR will never go back to where it once was.

One more thing I gotta say...if you think coffee is better on other cruise lines...it's not

When your right , your right. :)

Cori

I really don't think Princess is making a killing on the coffee cards. Twenty-something dollars for 15 specialty drinks (which are far superior to those drinks on the lines where they're complimentary) is a great deal. Think of how labor intensive they are to make. And for those folks whose cards are so old they're printed on parchment, Princess has definitely not made any money on all the unlimited brewed they've dispensed.

All this talk of Starbucks, though, amuses me. That is some BAD coffee. I now get all my "to go" coffee at McDonalds. I won't eat that crap they call breakfast, but their plain coffee is way better than anything Starbucks produces, and if I'm with DH (a senior) it's $0.42. I'm certain they're not brewing it...wonder why Princess can't switch to that syrup.

I so agree with you!:D

We just got off the Emerald Baltic cruise last week. On our last Princess cruise on the Dawn we thought the coffee was undrinkable. Because of this our first stop on boarding the Emerald was to get a coffee card. However, surprisingly, we found the coffee in the Michelangelo/DaVinci dining rooms very good (we ate dinner and most breakfasts there). As a result we used the card to get coffees to go each morning and we would take them with us when we left the ship for the day. BTW the lattes, capuccinos and cafe mochas were great, and we always had smiling respectful service - it was a great cruise. Interesting how people can have such different experiences.

News Flash!!! McDonalds is all fresh brewed at the location where you get it.

I so agree with you. At work we have both Starbucks in the brewed coffee dispensers and Keurig single serve coffee stations. I liked the Keurig so much I bought one for home. My favorite coffee-on-the-go comes from 7-11 and DD.

News Flash!!! McDonalds is all fresh brewed at the location where you get it.

No kidding! Just at "my" location or all of them? I know they push a button to get it, and to choose one cream for it, but I'm wasn't aware of what was going on within that machine. Whatever they do, it is GOOD coffee.

No kidding! Just at "my" location or all of them? I know they push a button to get it, and to choose one cream for it, but I'm wasn't aware of what was going on within that machine. Whatever they do, it is GOOD coffee.

I guess I should have said "at all locations" - they advertise it as "fresh brewed".

One of the posters mentioned using some sort of cruise line sanctioned safe coffee pot. I would also like to be able to brew the coffee I like. Anybody know the brand name or where I can buy one?

I use an approved kettle with the instant off feature. http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-5410-03USA-Electric-Water-Kettle/dp/B00006F2M1 and for making coffee I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-640007-Perfect-Brew-Filter/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309173170&sr=1-1 With the kettle I can also make tea, hot chocolate, etc.:D

"As far as the coffee goes, I use the Starbuck Via packs and the work great. All I have to do is ask for some hot water......:):):)"

They do work but seem to be a little expensive. I use either the Taster Choice or Folgers packs similiar to the Starbuck ones. They work out great and take up very little room in your luggage. Many people do not like instant but with a little experimentation you will find what will work for your individual taste. I also ask for the water in the MDR at the start of the meal that way I can have a cup of coffee while waiting to be served. Many at the tables I sit at do the same thing and say they like that idea instead of waiting until after the meal for their coffee.

Archived