Anti-American Sentiment in Turkey?

Friend of mine just got back from a cruise and advised me to stay on the boat when my cruise docks in Turkey due to anti-American sentiment.

Just wondering if anybody else has heard similar concerns?

You can bet the bank we won't stay on the ship in November !!!!

Our last trip we found the Turkish people to be extremely polite and friendly. Istanbul was spotless and felt to be one of the safest places we went. We used the tram (public transportation) and walked everywhere.

Kusadasi we did a private tour and NEVER felt unsafe or unwanted.

The Turks would LOVE to join the EU but because of Muslim sentiment and undue bias they have been denied. Istanbul is a city of crossroads - Asia and Europe combined..... you will see all nationalities and hear many languages while there. It is also not overly conservative as we did not see many women completely covered but more just conservatively dressed. Which I did as well. Kusadasi is a resort town and many Turks go there for vacation and the beach.

We LOVED TURKEY. DH even asked what real estate prices were as the Kusadasi area is lovely.

I have to ask.......is your friend well traveled ? Or somewhat unsure of themselves in new places ?

WE visited Egypt for 15 days last November and had quite a few people ask us if we were worried about traveling there ? Obviously not - or we wouldnt have gone. We also found the Egyptian people lovely and definately wanted us there. We did many evenings visiting local establishments (hooka bars mostly) and never felt unsafe. Hooka bar is a misnomer as they do not drink alcohol and just drink tea or juices and smoke hooka pipes - which we enjoyed even tho dh nor I smoke.

My point is - everyone has different comfort zones..... if yours says stay on the ship.... then you should. But you will miss one the most unique and interesting places on your cruise.

Friend of mine just got back from a cruise and advised me to stay on the boat when my cruise docks in Turkey due to anti-American sentiment.

Can you give us any more specifics? It just doesn't seem like the Turkey I've visited over the last several years. (Been there at least once a year since 2006, including visiting 4 different ports late last fall).

The Turkish people pride themselves on their secular government and also on their hospitality. Without some sort of concrete information, I'd tend to discount your friend's opinion.

Can you give us any more specifics? It just doesn't seem like the Turkey I've visited over the last several years. (Been there at least once a year since 2006, including visiting 4 different ports late last fall).

The Turkish people pride themselves on their secular government and also on their hospitality. Without some sort of concrete information, I'd tend to discount your friend's opinion.

I concur. We were just in Istanbul and Kusadasi in May, and we found everyone we met to be warm and welcoming, and we never felt that anyone looked askance at us because we were American.

We visited Turkey for 3 days (and 2 ports) in Turkey last month and found absolutely no anti-American sentiment. Turkey is a progressive nation and its Muslim and Christian populations live together very well. We completely enjoyed every minute of our visit to Istanbul, Kusadashi, and Ephesus. Go and enjoy!

Like others, we found the Turkish people to be the most welcoming-particularly on the Med. coast. Not sure wjere this notion came from. Greece and Turkey are well at the top of our favourite places to travel.

I've been to Turkey twice in the past 2 years. NEVER have I felt more safe. The first time was on my own & the 2nd with my family. My husband remarked that he felt safer in Turkey than he did in Paris.

As a previous poster mentioned, Turkey is really trying to join the EU. They are working hard to become more Western. The Turkish people I know do not consider themselves Arabic or Asian but European.

I had ONE bad experience (a guy tried to short change me at the pay toilets) but I would never let that cloud my view of an entire country. PLEASE get off the ship. otherwise you'll miss out on a beautiful people & a wonderful experience.

My 22 year old daughter is living in Istanbul now, working as an au pair. On her days off she and other au pairs go out exploring the city. She has never encountered anything or anyone that would make her mother wish she was home instead, safe and sound in the Midwest!! In fact, when we talk on Skype, I wish that her father and I could just hop a plane and go visit her in Istanbul right now. From her descriptions of the people she's met and the marvelous sights she's seen, I haven't a doubt that our daughter landed a plum of a job.

Go to Turkey and get off the ship. I have the feeling that you will come away as enchanted as my daughter. And buy some baclava pastry! She says it tastes better than any she's eaten anywhere in the world.

Friends had Turkey as a port stop last April and they didn't have any problems, they did go on a tour.

Sherry

We were anxious about stopping last year and had absolutely no problem at all. We booked a private guide the first day. Went to the ships excursion instead of a private restaurant at night because we were concerned (and ended up in the same building the restaurant we were going to moved from.) And this was during the Israeli problem so we were especially concerned about our own safety.

It is an amazing city and one of the most beautiful we have ever sailed in.

I agree with one of the other posters who said that sometimes Americans "expect" people to jump for them when they travel. We have traveled all over the world and find if one is respectful of the local culture and polite one is accepted almost everywhere.

Enjoy.

Karen

Well, I am American through and through, a Texan to boot !

But I agree and am sometimes shocked to see how some of my fellow American travelers behave.

I don't know how or why some people got like that. Rude and loud and just expecting everyone to wait on them hand and foot without a please or thank you.

We have found that a smile and a Good Morning go a long way to ensuring a pleasant time for all.

I was in Istanbul for 2 days and Kusadasi for 2 days in May. I was a solo American traveler in Istanbul and used ship tours in Kusadasi, but then walked around Kusadasi on my own after the tours. I felt very welcome and totally safe. In Istanbul, I ventured down many streets that weren't "tourist" destinations to explore the neighborhoods and never got any hint of not being welcome. I also used the tram system several times with no issues. Don't hesitate to visit Turkey.

Archived