Rain gear question????

lilpepper

Hi,

Would anyone here know if Celebrity provides any sort of rain gear if you are on one of their excursions? We are trying to decide if we should pack umbrellas/ponchos for our trip just in case.

Thanks!

I'm not aware of Celebrity providing rain gear but the tour operator might.

On our June Alaska cruise, we did a helicopter excursion with a trek on Mendenhall Glacier. The tour operator provided a jacket and pants that were windproof and water resistant. We also had boots and crampons for walking on the glacier.

Hi,

Would anyone here know if Celebrity provides any sort of rain gear if you are on one of their excursions? We are trying to decide if we should pack umbrellas/ponchos for our trip just in case.

Thanks!

Most travellers carry their own umbrellas and/or gore tex rainproof jackets...both of which are light, but work well worldwide. It's worth investing in them and you just throw them in on any cruise or land trip. Don't ever assume that you will get the proper gear for rain from the tour operator unless, of course, you are going under some waterfall. You are on your own....and even if they provide something, your jacket/umbrella will be far better than anything provided.

Hi,

Thanks!

Celebrity Provides umbrellas in all cabins, but they are a bit small, but work fine. Concierge cabins get large golf umbrallas, but you can request these if you want from any cabin catagory. Its so nice to see fammilar faces when you walk around town and see all of your fellow passengers stand out with their celebrity umbrellas!!:):D There are no ponchos however.

Although I have never been on an Alaskan cruise, I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 17 years. We camp extensively and hike extensively in all kinds of weather in the Puget Sound region. My suggestion is that bringing an umbrella is not the best way to see the areas you will see on these excursions. You will want to take photos so you'll have a camera and you'll be walking or hiking. To have to manage holding an umbrella would be cumbersome. I recommend getting yourself a quality waterproof raincoat that you can layer over fleece if it's cool. As someone said, get Gore-Tex or other quality material. Look into North Face, Patagonia, Helly Hansen, or even look at LL Bean or Eddie Bauer for their "quality" rain gear. An be sure it has a hood. Then your set and your hands are free. Hopefully you won't need it, but it will be money well spent if you do.

As someone you knows "weather" take this advice.

Enjoy your trip. Can't wait til I can do it someday.

Kelly

I keep a stash of those disposable rain ponchos available at Target for $1.50, they are easy to stick in you pocket just incase.

I agree - cheap and easy way to have insurance against sudden rain. We also carry an umbrella if the weather looks iffy.

I got you guys beat !!!! I head to the dollar store and buy the disposable rain ponchos (3 for $1.00) One pack for each of us. If I don't use them, I leave them in the cabin. I also buy each of us a small (key word here is small) $1.00 umbrella. I also leave those for the steward instead of bringing them home. Leaves more room for souveniers :rolleyes: Both fit in a "shore bag" without adding alot of weight.

Although I have never been on an Alaskan cruise, I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 17 years. We camp extensively and hike extensively in all kinds of weather in the Puget Sound region. My suggestion is that bringing an umbrella is not the best way to see the areas you will see on these excursions. You will want to take photos so you'll have a camera and you'll be walking or hiking. To have to manage holding an umbrella would be cumbersome. I recommend getting yourself a quality waterproof raincoat that you can layer over fleece if it's cool. As someone said, get Gore-Tex or other quality material. Look into North Face, Patagonia, Helly Hansen, or even look at LL Bean or Eddie Bauer for their "quality" rain gear. An be sure it has a hood. Then your set and your hands are free. Hopefully you won't need it, but it will be money well spent if you do.

As someone you knows "weather" take this advice.

Enjoy your trip. Can't wait til I can do it someday.

Kelly

Kelly - good advice. When we were in Alaska had a lightweight gore tex jacket with hood. The locals do not use umbrellas. The jacket has served me well on a couple other cruises.

Plastic ponchos are hot and sticky.

Kelly - good advice. When we were in Alaska had a lightweight gore tex jacket with hood. The locals do not use umbrellas. The jacket has served me well on a couple other cruises.

I totally agree. I bought an Eddie Bauer raincoat, it is well constructed, and is thin, so I can fold it up compactly. When I pull up the hood, I don't need an umbrella.

On our Baltic cruise, I rolled it up in my backpack every day, and unfortunately used it almost every day. It was also good for blocking out the wind.

Take a few large garbage bags and make your own poncho. Just be sure to poke a hole in it for your head to fit thru. Don't want anyone suffocating because I am not sure if there is a warning about not putting over your head.

If you are in the Caribbean don't worry about rain. It is referred to as liquid sunshine.

In Alaska many places have free ponchos or sell them very cheap.

I went looking for a rain gear earlier this year as I was heading for a US Parks and Canyon tour and had a hard time finding any. One salesperson said to go the the sportwear dept and look around where the running gear is as runners run in anything and they would have all kinds.

I was very lucky as Sportstek had an 50% off sale and got a great thin raincoat with hood with great pockets for under $20.00 and pair of rain pants for $6.00. When rolled up tightly they both fit inside a large purse inside a zip lock bag.

Oh and by the way .... the raincoat came in very handy and was used 10 days out of 15.

You are so right about the ponchos being hot and sticky. A good quality rain coat will breathe. That is so important. And the thought of using a plastic garbage bag, oh my goodness!!!! Yuk!! The raincoat will serve you well for years to come and it is lightweight so it packs well and layers for 4 season use.

I Alaska we took the plastic rain ponchos we had used for the Olympics and keep with our football portable seats. I carry a small totes umbrella in my backpack. The weather was great and we never used either, in fact, the only time we wore jackets or sweatshirts was on the small excursion boat for whale watching.

The umbrellas in the room, at least in mine are way too big and wouldn't fit in a bag. I got back from a cruise with an OV room a month ago and the umbrella in the closet was way too big to lug around on tours.

As has been said, depending on your tour the operator may supply rain gear. We found that to be the case on a couple of our excursions in Alaska. For Alaska, we all packed lightweight water repellant jackets with hoods (if you plan to do alot of hiking or the like, I would switch to waterproof). I don't bother with umbrellas in Alaska - bring the jackets and shoes that can get wet, and carry on. If you don't want to invest in a pair of expensive water repellant shoes, buy a spray for a pair of your current shoes and bring along an extra pair just in case. Not sure where you are going, but in the Carribbean we just tough it out if it rains. It is so warm there you will dry off again in a quick hurry.

Archived