Curiosity Question..... Cabin Shares?

sail7seas

I think they still offer the program. The last time I did the single share was in 2008. It used to be that I would pay the regular double occupancy price for a K inside or an F outside cabin, and be placed with someone. Now the price is somewhere between the double occupancy price and the single occupancy price. I was told that the price was greater because the other person might not be a mariner, but there were to be no refunds on the price if the other person was a mariner. For me now, it's simpler to pay the single supplement and just get my own cabin.

Sail, yes they still offer it but it many cases the price for the Single Share is actually far more money than just paying the single supplement especially when there is a Flash Rate. I cannot imagine that many people book it any longer with the exception of long voyages.

On our Amsterdam cruise we met a woman who was sharing a cabin -- she wasn't really happy -- she didn't smoke -- but the other woman did. As a result she was rarely in the cabin.

I thought (wrongly, apparently) that this was one of the things you could specify when selecting this program. Glad I never tried it! But now, with smoking not allowed in cabins, it becomes a moot point.

I also thought that smoking /non-smoking roomies would be matched.

Hard to imagine in this day and age that would not be the case.

Do they arrange shares for veranda cabins? If so, smoking could still be a problem if one roomie smoked and the other not.

I also thought that smoking /non-smoking roomies would be matched.

Hard to imagine in this day and age that would not be the case.

Do they arrange shares for veranda cabins? If so, smoking could still be a problem if one roomie smoked and the other not.

I don't understand how it could be a concern to a non-smoker as smoking isn't allowed in the cabins on a guaranteed share. Both parties know this going in.

RuthC

I don't understand how it could be a concern to a non-smoker as smoking isn't allowed in the cabins on a guaranteed share. Both parties know this going in.

Here is KK's post, Number 5, from above:

On our Amsterdam cruise we met a woman who was sharing a cabin -- she wasn't really happy -- she didn't smoke -- but the other woman did. As a result she was rarely in the cabin.

Apparently KK met this person and apparently there was a problem.

Yes, I read the post, so I understand your confusion. KK did not explain how it could be a problem.

As a veteran doing a guaranteed share, I don't understand how someone who knows they have to leave the cabin to smoke, and does so, can be a problem for the non-smoker. :confused:

I know someone who at one time used this option on some of her HAL sailings. She now just pay the single supplement when sailing.

On her first share, it was a great match where they were booked on several ship tours, same dining table, etc. The next time, she had a cabin alone. The third time she had a cabin mate who liked to sleep with the lights on and the tv on one of the music stations. She think the woman was doing some of the stuff on purpose.

I have people who I've been friends with for decades and won't go a trip, let alone share a ship cabin with, I can't see myself doing this with a stranger.

On the solo board, there was a thread about a year ago about this. For every good share, it seems there was three bad to cabin mate from h***!.

I would just rather pay the extra money.

When I switched my reservation from the Oosterdam to the Zaandam last month, I was offered the single share. I rejected the offer because the $200 I would have saved was not worth the inconvenience of having a stranger as a roommate.

The problem with sharing a room with someone who smokes, is that no matter where they smoke, the residual smell gets on their hair and clothes. With most of our workplaces non smoking these days, how often have you, as a non-smoker, noticed the smell on someone that has come in from outside after a quick puff? I can understand where someone would be complaining about a smoker shaing a cabin with them.

The problem with sharing a room with someone who smokes, is that no matter where they smoke, the residual smell gets on their hair and clothes. With most of our workplaces non smoking these days, how often have you, as a non-smoker, noticed the smell on someone that has come in from outside after a quick puff? I can understand where someone would be complaining about a smoker shaing a cabin with them.

I agree about the residual smoke. Heck, I just got home from the grocery store - the dollar bill I got in change definitely had the smell of smoke! So it does hang on.

The problem with sharing a room with someone who smokes, is that no matter where they smoke, the residual smell gets on their hair and clothes.

I suppose that makes sense for some. It wouldn't bother me any more than a garlic smell would (maybe less), but I guess it would bother some.

The problem is there's all sorts of odors from all sorts of sources. I know some people who can't stand the smell of popcorn! I can't imagine! But I'll bet if I had a roomie bothered by popcorn smell there would be a difficulty from that. I always have a bag or two stashed in my closet in case of emergency.

I used to be a Travel Agent and once did a 2-night cruise where they paired us up with a fellow TA (same sex) and we shared rooms. My roomy snored SO LOUD that I ended up on the floor opposite site of the room my head wedged between pillows. Wish I had brought ear plug! Thank God it was only 2-nights and not 10 or 14.

This was enough to make me never want to cruise without knowing the other persons 'habits': sleeping, smoking, staying out until 1am and making loud noises coming back drunk, and the odd body odor from lack of proper hygiene.

In other words, I will always pay the Single Supplement to ensure I am in the cabin by myself.

I suppose that makes sense for some. It wouldn't bother me any more than a garlic smell would (maybe less), but I guess it would bother some.

The problem is there's all sorts of odors from all sorts of sources. I know some people who can't stand the smell of popcorn! I can't imagine! But I'll bet if I had a roomie bothered by popcorn smell there would be a difficulty from that. I always have a bag or two stashed in my closet in case of emergency.

A popcorn emergency?---is that when a really good movie comes on in the middle of the night?:)

Ah, popcorn, Ruth, I could share a room with you any time!!!

Do you know the date from which smoking in any cabin is not allowed?

We'll be cruising in August. At the moment, DH believes he is not allowed to smoke in the cabin (previously cruised on RCCL and Celebrity) and I don't intend to enlighten him - nobody smokes where I am going to sleep! - but I would like to know, for interest.

Thank you.

Archived