Is there a Catholic priest on the Eclipse to say Mass, especially on Sundays?

mollyvicto

I had heard that there were no Catholic Priests on board Celebrity to say Mass, especially Sunday Mass. Is this true, or was it just a rumor? There always has been in the past, and we'll be on board for two Sundays. Thanks, as always, for your help?

I had heard that there were no Catholic Priests on board Celebrity to say Mass, especially Sunday Mass. Is this true, or was it just a rumor? There always has been in the past, and we'll be on board for two Sundays. Thanks, as always, for your help?

While everything on Celebrity's website should be taken with a grain of salt, here is their FAQ on this subject:

"Celebrity ships provide formal religious services for Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and Interdenominational faiths during major religious holidays (see below). Catholic Mass is also performed on a daily basis during our Holy Land voyages and as available on ships while in port on Saturdays or Sundays."

So if this FAQ is correct, then I would say there is unlikely to be a priest onboard but that Celebrity will be making an effort to arrange for priests to hold Mass on weekends when in port.

Here is a link to the page with the complete FAQ: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Onboard+Services&faqId=3977&pagename=faq_answers

When we sailed during the week before Palm Sunday there was a Catholic Priest on board. He told me that X always tries to have a Priest on board during the holy seasons and big religous holy days. Other than that I guess there is no guarantee.

Celebrity changed their policy months ago and only have clergy during Christmas and Easter. Rumor has it that it's political correctness run amok when certain groups complained that one religion was being favored over others, so Celebrity decided to stop providing priests in order not to offend anyone. If you want priests, cruise Crystal. They have a priest on every sailing and a Rabbi on many of their cruises.

Celebrity changed their policy months ago and only have clergy during Christmas and Easter. Rumor has it that it's political correctness run amok when certain groups complained that one religion was being favored over others, so Celebrity decided to stop providing priests in order not to offend anyone. If you want priests, cruise Crystal. They have a priest on every sailing and a Rabbi on many of their cruises.

HAL also has Catholic priests on board. Mass is celebrated every day.

Connie

Sometimes when the ship is in port over Sunday, a local priest has come aboard to say Mass.

Beware the daily program which sometimes says Catholic Mass but there is no priest there. Last month on Summit it said "prayer service" instead of "Mass" but I have seen the term "Mass" used incorrectly so be sure to ask at the Guest Relations desk. Unless it is near Christmas or Easter, I would not expect to actually have a priest on board.

HAL also has Catholic priests on board. Mass is celebrated every day.

Connie

Good to know that Crystal & HAL still have a priest for mass. Celebrity used to have it years back - I remember my parents going to daily mass on their cruise.

Summit had a "Catholic Prayer Service" on the Summit in June.

I hope their reason for not having a priest is cost and not "political correctness". Practicing Catholics attend mass every week, not just on special occasions, and this would be something they would want, especially if Saturday evening/Sunday morning is an "at sea" day and you couldn't attend mass in port.

This was discussed in great detail when the policy was first changed. One of the problems that was evident back then was the fact that there are just fewer priests to go around. We had fewer Catholic Chaplains in the military when I retired and fewer still in hospitals today. My hospital shares a priest with several other local hospitals when not that long ago we each had our own.

We happened to meet a rabbi & his wife on a recent cruise, and he said Celebrity no longer publishes "social gatherings" in the daily programs and that religious services fall into that category. Although he was not hired by the cruiseline, he was planning to voluntarily lead Jewish & non-denominational services throughout the cruise and said times & locations would be posted on the message board near Guest Services. That might also be the case if a priest or other religious leader is on board, so you might check with Guest Services if you don't find anything in the daily compass.

I think it would be politically correct to have none religious activities on board. Then it would be fair for everyone.

Not sure what fairness has to do with anything. No one is forced to attend a service. Most religions (I admit not being an expert on all) do not require mandatory attendance every week. The Catholic religion does. Many of the cruisers on Celebrity are Catholic. As such, they may be very concerned about missing Mass. (I believe the Church would grant them a 'pass' on this point if service were not available, but that is not for me to say). I would imagine it is for this reason of mandatory compliance that the Catholic religion was singled out. It would only be politically incorrect IMHO if other religions were forbidden from putting on services. They are not, so I don't see the issue. Again, just my opinion, but to me being politically correct (or 'fair') means anyone who wants a religious program is free to conduct one without undue restraint. It does not mean you have to eliminate everything so as not to offend anyone. Why should someone care whether someone else of another religion attended a service, provided by the ship or not?

(I believe the Church would grant them a 'pass' on this point if service were not available, but that is not for me to say).

Yes, if there are no services, you can play hooky and not go to hell :D It has always been this way.

As I remember the discussions about Celebrity's decision to not pay for a priest's accomodations, there were other religions that complained that Celebrity was subsidizing one religion and not theirs. That to me is indeed unfair, and the perceived belief that Catholics had to go to mass every Sunday should not be any reason to favor Catholics over any other religion. Religion is a private matter, not Celebrity's responsibility.

However, Celebrity will alwyas make space available for masses if a priest is onboard. But the priest, or the people desiring his services, must pay for the accomodations. Same for any religion. Fairness.

Again, just my opinion, but to me being politically correct (or 'fair') means anyone who wants a religious program is free to conduct one without undue restraint. It does not mean you have to eliminate everything so as not to offend anyone. Why should someone care whether someone else of another religion attended a service, provided by the ship or not?

Would this mean that Celebrity has to provide free passage for every religion's "representative" or that every religion wishing to have a service would have a ticket surcharge for that representative or that every passenger should have a surcharge to pay for one religion's desire to have a religious service on board? What would be "fair" for everyone?

Not sure what fairness has to do with anything. No one is forced to attend a service. Most religions (I admit not being an expert on all) do not require mandatory attendance every week. The Catholic religion does. Many of the cruisers on Celebrity are Catholic. As such, they may be very concerned about missing Mass. (I believe the Church would grant them a 'pass' on this point if service were not available, but that is not for me to say). I would imagine it is for this reason of mandatory compliance that the Catholic religion was singled out. It would only be politically incorrect IMHO if other religions were forbidden from putting on services. They are not, so I don't see the issue. Again, just my opinion, but to me being politically correct (or 'fair') means anyone who wants a religious program is free to conduct one without undue restraint. It does not mean you have to eliminate everything so as not to offend anyone. Why should someone care whether someone else of another religion attended a service, provided by the ship or not?

Very well put.

As for the "pass" lol - we booked Disney Magic 11 years ago, (Sat-Sat) not realizing there was no Sunday mass. Sat and Sun were sea days, so we could not attend mass in port. I spoke to our priest and he gave us dispensation, because there was physically no way to attend mass.

We would have found a Catholic church had we been in port. We have had lovely experiences attending mass in various parishes all over the world.

My goodness, I don't see why Celebrity should subsidize one religion above others! We are not Catholic but would be pleased if a service in our Protestant denomination were offered, and would definitely attend, but honestly we have never thought that a cruise line should provide this. I don' think of it so much as being "politically correct", just basic fairness to everyone. Where does it stop????? Now, if a priest or minister or rabbi happens to be on board and offers to conduct services, that is an entirely different subject (and actually a wonderful idea.)

I could have this completely wrong but I recall reading once on Cruise Critic that the reason that Celebrity had Catholic priests on their ships was that it was a stipulation included in the sale of Celebrity to RCCL by the previous Greek owner (from whom the X comes from), a devout Catholic who had them on their ships.

I never did hear a good explanation of how they were able to stop that practice, if what I remember is true.

Just put yourself in the place of those of us who are active practicing Protestants. I often think we are the "forgotten majority." We also would like to attend Sunday Services onboard. It has been somewhat disheartening in the past to see that such a service would exclude us because we are not practicing Catholics.

My solution would be to ensure that there is a non-denomination Christian worship service led by a member of the crew who would lead such a service with dignity and in the spirit of inclusiveness. That crew member could receive some basic training in worship leadership and use materials which have been prepared jointly by Protestant and Catholic religious leaders.

I truly hope Celebrity would consider such a solution.

I think fairness in this case would mean that Celebrity would then provide religious services for all possible religions on board eg for muslims 5 pray calls per day and directions towards Mecca everytime.

I just want to say that Celebrity shouldn't provide some religious group certain privileges which other groups wouldn't get. If there is a priest on board on normal vacation and wants to provide ceremonies for other passengers - that is totally fine with me.

But cruise line shouldn't provide and pay religious services for just certain religious groups - because it would be discriminating for others.

I could have this completely wrong but I recall reading once on Cruise Critic that the reason that Celebrity had Catholic priests on their ships was that it was a stipulation included in the sale of Celebrity to RCCL by the previous Greek owner (from whom the X comes from), a devout Catholic who had them on their ships.

I never did hear a good explanation of how they were able to stop that practice, if what I remember is true.

Just out of curiosity I would be interested in any comments about this.

Give or take several months, Celebrity nixed a number of positions that fell under the auspices of the entertainment department - bridge instructors, dance instructors, dance hosts, arts and crafts instructors, priests (yes, the entertainment department!) and several other non-Celebrity onboard positions - within the same general time frame. Just my two cents but all appeared to be cost-cutting measures designed to bring those positions in-house and/or free up for sale to the public cabins that would otherwise be reserved for those positions.

Well said! Thank you.

I would doubt that the Chandris family would be "devout Catholics". They may be devout Greek Orthodox as are many of the officers on board.

Thank you for all your answers. I guess it would be nice if there could be one religious leader on board who could do a service for all those aboard who would like to attend. Or maybe a passenger who would be willing to do it. Again, thanks for explaining to me why there's no longer Mass on board.

Thank you for all your answers. I guess it would be nice if there could be one religious leader on board who could do a service for all those aboard who would like to attend. Or maybe a passenger who would be willing to do it. Again, thanks for explaining to me why there's no longer Mass on board.

Yes, I agree totally. As a very simple solution, why not have a simple invitation in the daily newspaper (I forget what it's called) that would read something like this...

Sunday 9:30AM - "Everyone invited to a Christian gathering for sharing and prayer"

I would love to attend something like that could involve individual or group prayer, a prayer request, a sharing of a favorite scripture passage,etc., etc..

Just put yourself in the place of those of us who are active practicing Protestants. I often think we are the "forgotten majority." We also would like to attend Sunday Services onboard. It has been somewhat disheartening in the past to see that such a service would exclude us because we are not practicing Catholics.

My solution would be to ensure that there is a non-denomination Christian worship service led by a member of the crew who would lead such a service with dignity and in the spirit of inclusiveness. That crew member could receive some basic training in worship leadership and use materials which have been prepared jointly by Protestant and Catholic religious leaders.

I truly hope Celebrity would consider such a solution.

very well put

Archived