About auto-tipping and "a list"

califgary

We are Australians, and have never removed the auto tip. We also tip our cabin staff. Since anytime dining, we have never had the same waiter so that is a difficult one, but we don't feel guilty, as we know he will get a share from the auto tip pool. We prefer anytime dining as it is so much more flexible for us. Some Australians have a different outlook on tipping, it is not so mandatory in Australia, but a number of us will tip happily if we receive good service. As bar staff and wait staff earn at least $18 per hour here, they are not so reliant on tips to make up their wages.

We are also Australians and have never removed the auto tip and have never come across any other Aussies who have. However, I have met other nationalities who have removed it. I believe it to be a personal choice. We also tip extra if the service warrants it.

There is another possible reason for the list that would seem to be in line with HAL's policy of any tips received from cabins who opted out of the automatic service charge (NOT an auto-tip) get turned in to be shared. That would be so crew knew that if they received tips throughout the cruise from passengers on their list who had opted out of the service charge, those tips would have to be put into the pool and not pocketed.

I have never personally seen HAL staff ever treat a passenger with disdain or aloofness when I have traveled with them. With their reputation for stellar service, it makes no sense to me that the list would be there so the crew is aware of who is a deadbeat or stiffing them, or who to treat well or with nose in the air.

Some people do request the service charge be removed as soon as they board. With a list, the crew gets a heads up on known passengers who may give them tip money they may not keep. I think it is a good thing for the stewards. It would help them avoid having to repay money they thought was theirs alone. My stewards will not ever find my name on their list, and will not have to worry about returning any extra we may give them for a job well done. :)

Also speaking as an Australian - I shall also leave our automatic tip/service charge with HAL. I have family who work in service industries who rely on tips - and you can bet the Indonesians and Phillipino staff do.

Lets face it - its a paltry amount - compared with what we are paying for the cruise and I always worry about the "faceless" service.

Out of a crew of around 600 (Zaandam) - how many would we see - face to face - 100?? - 200?? - what about the balance who also work hard. In my case - my $300 standard charge will amount to 50 cents each for each member of the crew for 2weeks service.

In addition - I will tip the cabin attendants -and waiters etc as I see fit - my choice !.

We don't intend to remove the automatic charge, but how do you know that the stewards, wait staff etc actually do get a percentage in their wage packets? It may be that HAL just pockets the lot and doesn't distribute it. There's no way of telling, surely.

We don't intend to remove the automatic charge, but how do you know that the stewards, wait staff etc actually do get a percentage in their wage packets? It may be that HAL just pockets the lot and doesn't distribute it. There's no way of telling, surely.

Do you know for sure that they get paid at all? :eek:

I know that there are those who turn off the auto deduct on boarding day so that they can have full control over how much and to whom ...
Or, more accurately, so that they can erroneously mislead themselves into believing that they have full control over how much and to whom!

... how do you know that the stewards, wait staff etc actually do get a percentage in their wage packets? It may be that HAL just pockets the lot and doesn't distribute it. There's no way of telling, surely.

Do you honestly believe that the union would let HAL perpetuate that story if it were untrue? Yes, the stewards are part of a union, and there is an agreement between the union and HAL.

Really now, there would be no way that so many people would keep that a secret.

Personally, I have never removed the auto tip and I do tip over and above that to those staff who have made my cruise more enjoyable. However, there will always be people who remove the auto tip and just don't tip at all. Just like there are people who don't eat in the dining room the last night of the cruise to avoid tipping extra. When we know we won't be in the dining room the last night, we tip the night before.

I have always left the auto tip in place. I like to think that all the great staff that provide really good service wether front line or behind the scenes on any ship from the HAL fleet all share the rewards/benefits from the auto tips and from any extra tips. My encounters with HAL staff have all been very positive & I would never deprive them of any moneys that they work so hard for. Just my two cents :)

I have always left the auto tip in place. I like to think that all the great staff that provide really good service wether front line or behind the scenes on any ship from the HAL fleet all share the rewards/benefits from the auto tips and from any extra tips. My encounters with HAL staff have all been very positive & I would never deprive them of any moneys that they work so hard for. Just my two cents :)

Agree with Shandryl: I always leave the auto-tips in place I dont presume to know who all benefits behind the scenes and work just as hard so that I have a great cruise experience. If I feel Im getting extra-special-exceptional service then I give a bit more to those folks.

Exactly I really dont understand why its important enough to know that information during the cruise - but fact is, there was a list for whatever reason. Maybe a more experienced CC'er can shed some light.

Of course staff whould have to know who has opted out of the auto tip. As I understand it, the staff is required to turn in and share any of the tips that come in from those that have opted out, but can keep additional tips from those who have also elected to auto-tip. It is important for them to know so they don't get in trouble for keeping those tips.

I actually think it is great that those that have opted out of auto tip be "outed", as I feel that they are out of line to deny the tips these stewards work very hard for.

I know others have said this, but, it's terribly important for all of you to know and understand, and share with others if the subject comes up!

If you remove yourself from the automatic hotel service charge (auto-tip), then any and ALL tips you give to any individual crew member must be turned into the tip pool by that crew member. The crew member does NOT get that money.

So, you're defeating the purpose when you take yoursel off the "auto-tip" if your purpose is to only give tips to those you think deserve it. I believe that's why the list was in the pantry, so the crew knew who was not on "auto-tip" and wouldn't go afoul of the rules if they received an individual tip. I don't believe it has anything to do with identifying potential "dead beats". The only exception to this is the service charge that is automatically added to alcoholic beverage service.

I you don't receive the service you want, my suggestion would be to first speak with the crew member to get the issue resolved. Failing resolution, speak to their supervisor. If you aren't comfortable with that, you can always adjust the "auto-tip" during or at the end of the cruise to reflect dissatisfaction with particular crew members. Just don't take the "auto-tip" off completely, unless you plan to do no tipping at all!

Oh Please do you really believe those who removed the auto tipping left a tip. These people never leave tips in hotel room or cruises. they also will leave a 10 0/0 tip if that much for dinner out in a restaurant.
I was talking to a couple on my last cruise they cruised a lot. I asked them did they leave extra money to the staff. I felt my servers in dinning room were outstanding as well as the cabin stewards. I fugured since they had been on 50+ cruises they would know the amount.
the wife spoke up and said TIPS we never leave tips do you know much it costs? I said yeah I was on 14 day cruise to Alaska (June) She said the first thing they do is remove it. She said we never leave tips thhey are lucky to have a job. I said to them they work hard and work for pennies. they money they get helps them provide for thier family. She said do you know how much we have saved by not tipping them? We have saved enough to go on a few cruises. I looked at them and said well I leaving my auto tip on and giving some of them extra. These people had money

Mary

[quote name='martinimadam']I know others have said this, but, it's terribly important for all of you to know and understand, and share with others if the subject comes up!

If you remove yourself from the automatic hotel service charge (auto-tip), then any and ALL tips you give to any individual crew member must be turned into the tip pool by that crew member. The crew member does NOT get that money. ....
[/quote]

A few cruises back I had a conversation over lunch with a gentleman (I don't remember how the subject of tipping came up, but it did). He told me he removes himself from the auto-tip and instead tips personally at the end of the cruise.

I tried to tell him what I've learned here on Cruise Critic (at least he'd heard of CC!) and he looked at me like I was crazy (you know the type, a real know-it-all) :rolleyes: He insisted that the crew love it and thank him profusely. (and what else are they going to do???) I gave up, he just wouldn't listen. Some people are willing to learn, some aren't.

[quote=Watson's aunt;29965008]Oh Please do you really believe those who removed the auto tipping left a tip. These people never leave tips in hotel room or cruises. they also will leave a 10 0/0 tip if that much for dinner out in a restaurant.
I was talking to a couple on my last cruise they cruised a lot. I asked them did they leave extra money to the staff. I felt my servers in dinning room were outstanding as well as the cabin stewards. I fugured since they had been on 50+ cruises they would know the amount.
the wife spoke up and said TIPS we never leave tips do you know much it costs? I said yeah I was on 14 day cruise to Alaska (June) She said the first thing they do is remove it. She said we never leave tips thhey are lucky to have a job. I said to them they work hard and work for pennies. they money they get helps them provide for thier family. She said do you know how much we have saved by not tipping them? We have saved enough to go on a few cruises. I looked at them and said well I leaving my auto tip on and giving some of them extra. These people had money

Mary[/quote]
Wow...that amazing. It's usually the ones with a lot of cash that are the cheapest. I was on a cruise with some people and all they did was brag about how much money they had. She went on to tell me that they were irritated with HAL about an excursion so they removed the HSC to make up for it. She went on to tell everyone at the table that they can have the HSC removed. Hope karma comes back to bite people like that.

Ha ha, another tipping thread.
OK so I have only been on one cruise, it was with Holland America, everything was excellent, I am now hooked on cruising and hooked on HA.
While I have never worked a cruise ship, I waited tables for years and wish I could still do so now. Anyway, back then, to preserve my sanity, I never let one tip make or break me. Good or bad, "not the first time and won't be the last time" was my motto. My most memorable tip was a lady leaving me a book of postage stamps, I was like "stamps, really" but I used them. She probably just ran short on cash.
Anyway for me, on the cruise, auto tip was a given, that stayed in place. In my mind the auto tip was for all the people[I] I didn't see. I tipped above for everyone else who gave me service and I was impressed how many of the staff reminded me that tips had been included and that the additional $ wasn't necessary. I was in the highest catagory of deluxe suites, I don't think they were feeling sorry for me.[/I]
[I]Anyway that is my 2 cents, and thank you cruise critic members for all your good advice. I cannot wait for my next cruise, I have 2 scheduled for next year.[/I]

Archived