Flying to Istanbul/Grand Hyatt Istanbul/Grand Bazaar/

kadey

We are new to Oceania.Has anyone flown using Oeania making the plans from Philadelphia to Istanbul? There are so many flights each day and I was wondering if you were put on an early or late flight. I know they all start about 6 p.m. Booking everything with Oceania,we will spend our pre cruise night at the Grand Hyatt Istanbul. I am wondering about the location and how easy it will be to get to the Grand Bazaar.I'm also wondering what is the best mode of transportation from this hotel to the Grand Bazaar or could we walk? Also,how long does it take to get to the port from this hotel and does anyone know when we would leave the hotel for the port? I'm trying to get as much time in Istanbul as possible!Thanks-Kade

We are new to Oceania.Has anyone flown using Oeania making the plans from Philadelphia to Istanbul? There are so many flights each day and I was wondering if you were put on an early or late flight. I know they all start about 6 p.m. Booking everything with Oceania,we will spend our pre cruise night at the Grand Hyatt Istanbul. I am wondering about the location and how easy it will be to get to the Grand Bazaar.I'm also wondering what is the best mode of transportation from this hotel to the Grand Bazaar or could we walk? Also,how long does it take to get to the port from this hotel and does anyone know when we would leave the hotel for the port? I'm trying to get as much time in Istanbul as possible!Thanks-Kade

Your hotel website gives distances to the various local sightseeing attractions:

Distances to Grand Hyatt Istanbul hotel

Atatürk International Airport – 20 km

Sabiha Gökçen International Airport – 40 km

Bosphorus - 1 km

Taksim Square - 1 km

Dolmabahce Palace - 1km

Koc Pera Museum - 1 km

Istiklal pedestrian street – 1 km

Galata Tower - 2 km

Archeological Museum - 2 km

Istanbul Modern Art Museum - 3 km

Beyoglu district – 1.5 km

Grand Bazaar - 4 km

Blue Mosque - 5 km

Hagia Sophia - 5 km

Topkapi Palace - 6 km

Kanyon Shopping Mall - 8 km

Akmerkez Shopping Mall - 10 km

Sabanci Museum - 20 km

Istinye Park Shopping Mall - 12 km

Sapphire Shopping Mall - 9 km

Cevahir Shopping Mall - 4 km

City’s Nisantasi Shopping Mall - 2 km

Regarding your flight into Istanbul, there is no way to predict which flight you will be assigned to unless you opt for the "air deviation". If you don't know what the deviation involves, please speak to your travel agent, as it is too complex to explain here.

If you are using Oceania for transfers from the hotel to the ship, and the ship is docking at 8AM from the previous cruise, you will probably be asked to assemble in the lobby at around 11AM.

Hope that this helped-

J&S

It's too far to walk to the old town. There is however very good public trans. 500 yards from your hotel is TAKSIM square. from there, there is a funicular to the bottom of the hill near the port. You would be at an area called Kabatas. This is the end of the T1 tram line. The trams go west over the Golden horn bridge to Sultanahmet. The Bazaar, the Spice market, cisterns, Topkapi museum, Haghia Sophia Museum (formerly church) and Blue Mosque are all within walking distance.

http://www.best-of-istanbul.com/istanbul-metro.html

Traffic is bad and I'm told taxis are often overpriced. There are much less expensive hotels in the Sultanahmet area just below the Blue Mosque towards the water.

Thank you for all the responses! We have never been to Turkey before and I like to get a "feel" for a new country before I get there. Getting from the hotel to the old city seems relatively easy from the description.The money that Oceania would give us back if we do not book hotel with them is not enough to get us into a hotel closer to the old city.

I understand that as far as flights go,I will not know which flight I'm on till about 75 days before the trip. I was wondering if Oceania tended to put people on the early flights or if it was the luck of the draw. I was hoping not to pay for the air deviation,but it seems I'll need to do this to assure we get on an early flight.

Again,thanks for the information! Feel free to add any thoughts or suggestions!-Kade

It's many years (11-1/2) since we were in Istanbul on Renaissance. At that time Ren put us up at the Intercontinental which also is not near most of the tourist areas (near Taksim Square).

We took cabs which back then were NOT expensive. (Sometimes traffic was pretty horrible, though.) We had one instance when a driver was trying to claim that we'd underpaid him (or so we assumed since he didn't speak English and we didn't speak Turkish) ... but this was when we were returning to the hotel and the doorman dealt with him.

On our visit in early November we will be staying at a smaller hotel in the Sultanahmet where most tourist spots are accessible on foot.

Mura

Thank you for all the responses! We have never been to Turkey before and I like to get a "feel" for a new country before I get there. Getting from the hotel to the old city seems relatively easy from the description.The money that Oceania would give us back if we do not book hotel with them is not enough to get us into a hotel closer to the old city.

Kade

You would get $500 credit for not using O's hotel.

Surely you can find a very good hotel for that money (or less) in the old town closer to all attractions.

Checking a random date in Oct. you could even stay at the 4 Season's for Euro 490. I know that this is more than $500 but it's the 4 Seasons in the old town and not the Hyatt in Taksim. Very little work on your part (with research on Ports of Call forum) would surely give any number of good options under $500.

Check it out!

You certainly CAN do better than what Oceania's credit is! If you want a five star hotel -- well, then it could be true that you can't do better than what O is giving you, but there are plenty of charming hotels that are not five stars.

We'll be staying at the Nena in the heart of Sultanahmet in November. Two nights for a double is €200 but we got a 10% discount for booking early (and we only booked a couple of weeks ago for November 2-4) plus another 5% discount if we pay in cash. This includes a full buffet breakfast and a 50% discount on one dinner in their hotel.

There are many small hotels in the Sultanahmet area that look very reasonable (in terms of accommodations) for far less than what O is crediting you.

Just do a little research!

The Kybele Hotel was recommended to us by several people back in 2003-2004. It's hard to see the rates there because you need to email them to request a reservation. But I'm sure they are less than $500!

To begin with, they are preparing the ship for the new passengers so you can't board all that early anyway.

And if you are in a city like Istanbul (especially if you haven't come in early), then I definitely would recommend touring the city. Even if you ARE coming in early! This is one fabulous city!

We are boarding Marina on October 21st, and arriving in Rome on the morning of the 19th. We are planning on leaving Rome around 3pm to get to the ship (which doesn't leave until late that night).

We see no reason to rush down to the port ... as much as we'd like to see the ship, we'll have plenty of time to do that. And two days in Rome isn't nearly enough, just as two days in Istanbul isn't nearly enough.

Just my opinoin!

If you want to get a feel for the country perhaps you should consider staying somewhere other than a Hyatt.

Istanbul is much less expensive than many other European cities so I'm quite surprised that you can't get a hotel room for $500/night.

Thank you all for your responses! I will look into other hotels in the old town area. Dh wants me to leave it alone since he's comfortable with whatever Oceania sets up. I'm more adventurous! If we do stay with the hotel picked by Oceania,it includes transportation from the hotel to the port.Is the port far from the old town if I decide to go rogue and switch hotels?! Would you suggest private transportation to the port since it seems best to avoid the taxi cabs. Or is simply agreeing to a price with the taxi before we get into it the better way to go?

I'm not really in a rush to get to the ship since we will be on it all week! I'm actually concerned that the Oceania transportation will want to leave much earlier than we'd like to go.We will get into Istanbul 1 day before the cruise. It seems the flights from Phila. start arriving in Istanbul in the afternoon. Unlike arriving in Rome where we get in at a pretty early morning time. So our day before the cruise is really not even a half day. Therefore, I'm in no rush to get to the ship early the next day.If transportation to the port is not too difficult or too expensive it may be my best option.

Thank you all again for taking the time to offer your ideas and suggestions.We love to cruise but since each port time is limited, I like to be prepared and spend my time there wisely!-Kade

Most of the issue with cabs are those at the port overcharging and not so much from hotels - either set the price beforehand or insist they use the meter. Your hotel can arrange for the cab.

It's not overly far to the port, maybe 4-5km - we actually walked but that's not really an option the day you leave.

Is the port far from the old town if I decide to go rogue and switch hotels?! Would you suggest private transportation to the port since it seems best to avoid the taxi cabs. Or is simply agreeing to a price with the taxi before we get into it the better way to go?

When we stayed in Istanbul in '07, we stayed in the Sultanhament Section - the old city - at the Kari Sonak (which had every room taken by Oceania passengers) ...it was wonderful because it is a lovely hotel, breakfast included and walking distance to the Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi, Hippodrome and the Spice Market -- the Grand Bazaar could also be walked from there. When we went to the ship, they arranged a van for 6 of us and it wasn't expensive at all. There are many small hotels in the area and it is a chance to see more of the ethnicity of the area and the charm of a small hotel. The $500 Oceania is "giving" you towards a hotel and transportation to the ship, will more than cover a few nights and transportation. And there are some very good restaurants within walking distance of these small hotels. Check them out; you won't be disappointed. If you are there for more than one day, consider taking a private tour of some of the sights you can't get to by yourself. Thre are many tour companies (and I can recommed a very good one) to take to you out of the way places. And afterall traveling is supposed to be an adventure. Enjoy!! Arlene;)

Just to clarify something

You are paying Oceania the $500 for the hotel & transfer.

Just like the airfare ...your total cruise fare will be reduced if you do not take their INCLUDED air or hotel.

If you want to make you life simpler & be looked after then take the inclusions but if you do not mind doing some things on your own just use the included items you need.

Weigh the pro's & con's to suit your needs/wants

Lyn

Just to clarify something

You are paying Oceania the $500 for the hotel & transfer.

Just like the airfare ...your total cruise fare will be reduced if you do not take their INCLUDED air or hotel.

If you want to make you life simpler & be looked after then take the inclusions but if you do not mind doing some things on your own just use the included items you need.

Weigh the pro's & con's to suit your needs/wants

Lyn

Agreed - it's all about the comfort level, which is different for different people.

How difficult is it to have your TA book a hotel and take a taxi to the ship?

Its not about that. Many people still prefer to believe that they will hold the ship for them. amongst other things, if they book directly with the Line.

I will be staying at this Hotel which was much less than the Four Seasons and has been highly recommend to me. Glad to hear your good experience at the Kari Sonak and the recommendation to havethe hotel get a van to the port. I will be boarding Crystal Serenity in Sept. the same day I believe Marina is in Istanbul.

We stayed at this Hyatt about three years ago as part of our post cruise. It was wonderful. The best shower head I have ever experienced!!! It was very close to a very lively shopping area. Lots of restaurants and shops. We had to take a taxi to the bazaar.

We did have one problem. The cost for the cab was added to our hotel bill. When we were ready to check out, there was a charge for $150 for the taxi ride. The driver claimed that he gave us a tour instead of just a ride. We did not have a problem having the charge removed from the bill. Just beware.

I highly recommend that you take the hotel credit and take a look at sister website tripadvisor's hotel reviews for Istanbul, which can provide a lot of guidance. We spent three nights at the lovely and highly-rated Sirkeci Konak pre-cruise in 2008 and then one night on board ship before sailing, and taxi fare to the port was less than $15. Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Basilica Cisterns, Archaeological Museum, Hippodrome, Arasta Bazaar, Mosaic Museum - all are within a 10-minute walk of each other centered around Sultanahmet Square. Taksim and the modern city would not be my choice of location when there are so many really lovely boutique hotels available for you in Sultanahmet (or nearby Sirkeci, where we stayed eight minutes walk from Sultanahmet Square).

Hello,

Certainly do what is most comfortable. We arrived two day searly since we thought we might not get back. The we took the credit stayed with walking distance to Blue Mosque, etc. Loved being able to easily walk to mosque at sunset, have a local inexpensive dinner etc. Walked to Palace etc

We are not big shoppers, so we did Takism square in an evening.

Many small quaint B&B that include traditional turkish bfast in Old City. Getting to the ship was really easy old town was very close to port. There were four

us so we arranged an Istabul tour to some placew that were further out and then the tour guide took us to the ship.

Just something to consider.

Amazing city, enjoy

I really don't think you can compare the 4 Seasons with Sari Konak, they are in different worlds despite being in the same area.

We had no issue with staying at Sari Konak given how little time we spent in the room but don't kid yourself, it's very basic accommodation with a lovely breakfast area and a great roof top bar. If you have very low expectations you'll be fine, otherwise you might be well advised to seek out alternates.

The Sultanahmet area is for me the best place to stay in Istanbul for local flavour, proximity to sites and restaurants. Loved spending a hard day touring and then relaxing on an outdoor patio over a long dinner with a couple bottles of wine while people watching.

Here's a few pics of the hotel:

(sorry, none of the room as it wasn't worth documenting ;) )

Outdoor breakfast area:

P9032877.jpg

View from the roof top bar at night:

P9032885.jpg

View from the street of the hotel (notice the trees on the roof?):

P9052969.jpg

I will be staying at this Hotel which was much less than the Four Seasons and has been highly recommend to me. Glad to hear your good experience at the Kari Sonak and the recommendation to havethe hotel get a van to the port. I will be boarding Crystal Serenity in Sept. the same day I believe Marina is in Istanbul.

JimandStan,

If someone is staying in a hotel in a city the night before embarkation and is afraid they will miss the ship when it sails at 6PM the next day they need adult supervision, not a cruise line package. jmo.

Archived