Still prefer set dining time - Only one???

tm5to1

The new Anytime Dining options cruise lines offer now seem very popular, and I'm sure are more convenient some days, but am I the only cruiser that still PREFERS having a set dining time, with the same table and servers every evening? For me, the servers are the only cruise employees that I develop an actual connection with and I enjoy that. Sometimes, I rarely even see my room steward. On our last cruise, we got to know our server so well (we exchanged stories nightly about our families back home) that my DW actually teared up the last night when we were saying goodbye. To me, that's the difference between cruise dining and simply going out to dinner. Which is what Anytime seems like. We do that all the time at home. Saturday, we leave on the Liberty, and for the first time, we're taking the kids. Even though the Anytime Dining would be more convenient, we've decided on the set timed dining so that the kids can experience what is, in our minds, a very special part of the cruise experience. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way anymore?

We've only been on one other cruise, but enjoyed our wait staff so much that we changed from Anytime Dining (travel agent chose it) to traditional. We do pick the later time because I hate to be rushed. I think if I didn't have a time to be ready, I would never make it there!

I perfer it for that reason but wife wants YTD so to avoid arguing over something stupid we do it. Miss the relationships with wait staff. They know what you want to drink....how many meals you want and call you by your name. The YTD staff is rushed and i do miss the waiters dancing...for those that don't like it you just don't have to look and keep on chatting or eating!

Just booked my 11th cruise with Carnival and chose early dining. I much prefer having a set time, table and waitstaff. When I am traveling with family, it eliminates the "What time do you want to eat?...I don't know what time do you want to eat?" nonsense. I also don't have to track down my sons to tell them to come and get ready for dinner. They know dinner is at this time and they better be there dressed and ready.;)

One thing I enjoy about cruising is NOT having to wait for a table. When I am ready to eat, I am ready to eat and I hate spending my vacations sitting on a restaurant bench holding a little black box, waiting for it to light up and jiggle.

We prefer the early seating. We like to sit at the same table with the same waitstaff and tablemates. Since it is the 2 of us, we usually have lunch and breakfast by ourselves. We tried NCL and ended up eating at the same time everyday anyway. We tried late seating on our last cruise and didn't like it, I found that I ate more since I get hungry around 6 pm anyway.

We prefer traditional dining. We tried the anytime dining on our Freedom cruise in November. Each night we were seated in the two top table and every night sat "next" to different people. As interesting as it was to meet new people each night it got tiresome to do the whole introduction thing night after night. If you have traditional you get that over on the first night. We are going to do traditional on the Destiny in December.

As I answer to the many people when asked, " What is it about cruising that you like so much?" After a busy or relaxing day (which ever we choose to do each day) I know at 6PM there will be a table ready and staff waiting to take care of all my dining needs.

I'm with the others who don't like the deciding each night of where and when to eat. Traditional seating in the dining room IS my favorite part of cruising.

The new Anytime Dining options cruise lines offer now seem very popular, and I'm sure are more convenient some days, but am I the only cruiser that still PREFERS having a set dining time, with the same table and servers every evening? For me, the servers are the only cruise employees that I develop an actual connection with and I enjoy that. Sometimes, I rarely even see my room steward. On our last cruise, we got to know our server so well (we exchanged stories nightly about our families back home) that my DW actually teared up the last night when we were saying goodbye. To me, that's the difference between cruise dining and simply going out to dinner. Which is what Anytime seems like. We do that all the time at home. Saturday, we leave on the Liberty, and for the first time, we're taking the kids. Even though the Anytime Dining would be more convenient, we've decided on the set timed dining so that the kids can experience what is, in our minds, a very special part of the cruise experience. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way anymore?

No, certainly not. Those of us who enjoy traditional dining tend to not be quite as vocal about it as the converts to YTD. Nothing wrong with that, of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences.

Currently, YTD accounts for a bit less that 25% of requests... I believe the current number I was told was 22%, up from 15% about 18 months ago.

:)

You are not alone. DH and I love to know that at 6:15 someone will be serving us dinner. That I have "my own" table" and that by night two someone who knows what I like will be there. The one night on our last cruise we ate at the Lido(big mistake) and came back in to the MDR, our waitress said she was very sad that we hadn't dined with her the night before.:( I felt guilty, cause I certainly missed her, and I missed decent food.

As a solo cruiser who is very social, I love the traditional dining times. I have never had a bad group to chat with. Usually some of us end up going to the shows or comedy lounge together after dinner.

Marshhawk, I completely understand. On our last cruise, my DW and I sat alone at a table for 6 all week because no one else ever showed up. I think that's how we got to know our server so well. Well, we had already decided not to bother packing for the elegant nights and had planned on hitting the buffet those nights. When we mentioned to our server that we wouldn't be there the following night, it was like I'd told him his children were ugly or something! Ultimately, he wouldn't take no for an answer, so as out of place as I felt in khakis and a polo, we obliged and ended up dining in the MDR on the elegant nights also. I truly think the servers enjoy the relationship also. They are at sea for so long, away from families, it gives them someone to get to know besides just each other. Even for only just a week.

We tried Anytime on both Carnival and Celebrity and the only thing good about it was we could go whenever we felt like it. We've gone back to Traditional Late Dining. Much better service; much better dining experience. Oddly enough, I've never had "bad" dining companions with Traditional Dining....but we've been seated with some real clunkers on Anytime!

Since we cruise as a family (2 kids) our situation is a little different than somes :)

We eat dinner every night, well almost unless my husband gets stuck at work, as a family between 6 and 6:30 every night of the week. It's the one thing we do together with out fail. Early dining is perfect for us that way.

Personally I can't see myself doing Anytime Dining. I don't like going out and having to wait for a table and have taken to when we do go out, only going to places with call ahead seating if it's a busy day! I am also not the most.. social person and would hate to sit with new/different people every night. Heck as it is I have already called Carnival for the exact date I should call and request a table for 4 just for our family for dining and we don't sale until December!

We definitely prefer the set time dining. We tried the Anytime Dining on NCL and that is the reason we no longer cruise NCL. Did not care for it at all.

On our Nov. NCL cruise-- our first with "freestyle"-- we developed such a good rapport with our server on the first night that we requested a table in her section every night. By the 4th night or so, they automatically put a "reserved" card on a table for us!

I hear you can request the same server on Carnival when using YTD as well. I might do that on our Pride cruise next month-- I enjoy that rapport very much also.

we are leaving in October for our 18th cruise. Have always taken the late seating on our cruises. While we normally have dinner at home from the 6-7 range we feel that this gives us enough time to explore the ports etc. There’s no rushing back to the ship to get ready for dinner. Our only exception was on 2 cruises with Norwegian. However we still decided to eat as late as possible.

I prefer the freedom of Your Time Dining, but I can understand why you like the classic fixed seating times. I never wanted or got any kind of special connection with the waiters, so it's not an issue for me. Early Seating is too early for us, and Late Seating is too late with our daughter, so I like to be able to go in when we want to.

Another fan of traditional dining here. I've always done late seating - if you have a good table, you can linger together without having to rush out so the next crowd can be seated, and the wait staff don't mind (or at least they haven't so far). I've met a lot of wonderful people this way - a big plus when (as I do) you often cruise solo. I really like being able to just walk into the dining room and have a seat and a little chit-chat with the waiters...then share some time with new folks.

YTD? Glad they offer it for those who like it, but it's not for me.

We love traditional dining, early seating. We're in our 50's, so no kids to feed, but we don't like to eat late, either. We also tried anytime dining on NCL, but I didn't care for it at all. Staying just where we are!

Archived