Is this legitimate?

Begete

We got a postcard in the mail yesterday which at a first glance appeared to be from Carnival offering us an 8 day/7 night cruise for 2 with an outside cabin "leaving from any major port in the US, including Seattle."

If we call within 48 hours, as a bonus we would receive 2 rt airfares to any major airport in the US.

Says NOT a timeshare or land sale offer.

Reading small print says not affiliated with Carnival, recipient responsible for port charges, deposits and other fees.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

If you dont mind the worst bunk bed cabin on the ship (we got one that is usually storage and had to fight to get even that, and it was not out of Galveston, as the postcard promised, and it involved a dispute I opened thru BBB .. and it was $358 for my free 4 day, no flights, that was the fees and taxes they charged. a 7 day was offered for $299 X 2, so $598 in a 1A bunk bed cabin of their choice.

They will bait and switch to Miami .. and that took a year to even get that far. they never said when offseason was to choose from.. I assumed since prices were low in January that was offseason, nope. Only fall.

It is a presentation to sell you on a scam travel club (one of the newspapers in FL reported it as a scam, their words not mine), that the club did not give the promised discounts.

Yesterday I read that the people behind this scam were arrested in New Jersey. Throw it away.

State charges owner of Evesham vacation club with theft

Story

Daryl T. Turner, 39, of Cherry Hill, was arrested at his home and was charged with second-degree theft by deception .

Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:00 am | Updated: 7:35 am, Tue Jul 19, 2011.

By Danielle Camilli Staff writer | 0 comments

TRENTON — A Camden County man who ran an Evesham vacation club was charged with theft by deception for allegedly bilking customers out of more than $75,000 for vacation packages and travel benefits they never received, according to state Attorney General Paula T. Dow.

The arrest of Daryl T. Turner, 39, of Cherry Hill, on Monday comes about a month after the state sued him and his wife, Robyn B. Bernstein, also of Cherry Hill, for allegedly scamming customers out of thousands of dollars by violating the state Consumer Fraud Act and other advertising regulations.

Turner, under the terms of a previous settlement with the state, is barred from doing business in New Jersey for at least five years and cannot open or operate any such business in the future without state approval.

The new criminal complaint alleges that since 2008, Turner, through his vacation travel companies, took payments from numerous consumers and repeatedly failed to either provide the contracted-for travel packages or refund the money.

Turner also allegedly failed to deliver various promotional items promised to consumers in return for their attendance at promotional seminars, according to the state.

It is further alleged that Turner used the corporate logos of airlines, hotels and car rental companies in promotional materials without their permission, authorities said.

The accusations are similar to those alleged in a civil complaint against Turner, Bernstein and their companies, Travel Deals LLC and VIP Executives LLC.

The complaint is still pending in Superior Court in Burlington County. It was filed after the Attorney General’s Office and New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs settled a separate matter with Turner in February.

Under that agreement, he is responsible for more than $2.1 million in consumer restitution and $478,000 in civil penalties. Turner also is required to reimburse the state $419,780.10 for its attorneys’ fees and investigative costs, and is barred from doing business in the state.

The vacation travel companies named as defendants in the state’s civil lawsuit include Dreamworks Vacation Club, Dreamworks Vacations, Bentley Travel, Modern Destinations Unlimited, Blue Water, Vacation Clubs LLC d/b/a La Bonne Vie Travel, Five Points Travel Dream Vacations International, and Away We Go Promotions LLC.

If convicted in criminal court, Turner faces up to 10 years in state prison and a $150,000 fine.

© 2011 phillyBurbs.com . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Thanx for all the replies. This is not the same named club. This one is Stratus Travel. We called the number provided which sends you to a call center and specifically asked who the sponsor was.

I googled them, and it sounds like the same scam as Evesham was running, only for this one, you pay an annual fee for all their services, too.

I also e-mailed our travel agent, and he knew of no travel agency affiliated directly with

Carnival.

What puzzles me is why Carnival doesn't have anything on their website alerting people to this scam if, as someone below mentioned, this appears often here as a question.

Thanx for all the replies. This is not the same named club. This one is Stratus Travel. We called the number provided which sends you to a call center and specifically asked who the sponsor was.

I googled them, and it sounds like the same scam as Evesham was running, only for this one, you pay an annual fee for all their services, too.

I also e-mailed our travel agent, and he knew of no travel agency affiliated directly with

Carnival.

What puzzles me is why Carnival doesn't have anything on their website alerting people to this scam if, as someone below mentioned, this appears often here as a question.

Aren't you glad you asked rather than getting involved with this.

Good for you for doubting and asking.

Rip it up and throw it away. ;)

So weird - I was just reading this thread and got my mail. In it was the very postcard described here! It actually has the Carnival logo where the return address is, large photo of Carnival Conquest that fills the entire back of the card. Looks like it is from Carnival. Open it up and there is a very large CARNIVAL in their logo design on the inside with our name under it. It says, "You were verified and as a result of this offer your name and Ticketing number have been issued! You will receive a 8 day/7-night cruise for 2 with an outside cabin, leaving from any major port in the U.S." Then it says to call within 48 hours and receive a bonus 2 roundtrip airfares leaving from any major U.S. airport. The bottom part says "Cruise Boarding Pass" - looks like an airline boarding pass with same type of print that has name, etc. all the important info. On the back it says in small print "Call for details of participating... This promotion is not sponsored by or affiliated with Carnival but they are major supplier"

The whole thing reeks of SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beware!

Usually, the port charges, government fees & taxes and other charges will equal or exceed what you could get the cruise for from more reputable places. STAY AWAY

This post hits it right on the head. In addition, ask yourself this question: "Why would a perfect stranger just give me (and hundreds of others, no doubt) a free cruise?" The card has more value as recycled paper ... toss it.

Just to ket you know what an exclusive mailing list they use... a couple of years after I dovorced my Ex and moved to another state I started getting junk mail addressed to (His first name) (Misspelling of my last name) at my new address. It was even more peculiar because we never had the same last name- I've always kept my own. I thought it was kind of funny and kept filling out consumer surveys that were sent to this nonexistent person over the years. When my Ex died a year ago, I wrote to the consumer survey people and reported his demise. Haven't heard from them since.

Two days ago "he" got one of these free Carnival Cruise mailings. :eek:

I got one of those postcards (not for the first time) for a free Carnival cruise. I looked at it just long enough and yes, there was fine print that said a presentation was required and where the name of the sender should be, it just said Valencia, CA (and we all know that Carnival HQ is in Miami).

Went into the recycling bin.

We got a postcard in the mail yesterday which at a first glance appeared to be from Carnival offering us an 8 day/7 night cruise for 2 with an outside cabin "leaving from any major port in the US, including Seattle."

If we call within 48 hours, as a bonus we would receive 2 rt airfares to any major airport in the US.

Says NOT a timeshare or land sale offer.

Reading small print says not affiliated with Carnival, recipient responsible for port charges, deposits and other fees.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Tear it up

Or Burn it.

Don't do it!!

These have been going on for years.

I actually went to the presentation and got a certificate. It sounded good ' vacation club from unbooked timeshares. I didnt tell them I owned a timeshare. surprise, surprise they actually had my timeshare on their site as being available. I got home and did some investigating, no one returns your calls, wont speak with you unless you give your 100 deposit etc. Its 100% scam. dont waste your time, they only stay in your area a few weeks then move on.

Archived