Wearing jeans in port?

bakery

We're traveling on the Emerald Princess later this month to the Scandinavian ports. Naturally, we wouldn't wear jeans on the ship. But how comfortable would we be wearing jeans into the port cities? (Just so you know, we visited Paris independently last summer and I encouraged my teenage daughters to dress up every day. But I wasn't sure if expectations would be similar in Scandinavian cities.)

Thank you so much for your help.

You can, and if the girls are with you they might be in fashion. Men in jeans are pretty quickly identified as tourists in Europe.

I've heard the same thing about athletic shoes being an indication that someone is a tourist but just like jeans both appear to now be more popular with Europeans & when visiting family in the Netherlands they all wear jeans for daily use.

I don't think there is any chance we will blend in with the Scandanavian people. No matter what we look like tourists, cameras, maps, reading street signs, dark brown hair in a world of blonds. I doubt that jeans or sneakers will make a difference

Thanks for all your comments. Sounds like jeans in port will be just fine. I'd thought people might look down on us for wearing them on the ship, but sounds like that might be okay. (I promise we won't wear them to the dining room!)

Thanks for all your comments. Sounds like jeans in port will be just fine. I'd thought people might look down on us for wearing them on the ship, but sounds like that might be okay. (I promise we won't wear them to the dining room!)

You can do that too.

Why not? They're fine for the dining room & also approved of.

I don't think there is any chance we will blend in with the Scandanavian people. No matter what we look like tourists, cameras, maps, reading street signs, dark brown hair in a world of blonds. I doubt that jeans or sneakers will make a difference

my dh & I are both very fair, although not blond, and we were stopped twice by people asking directions, LOL.

Being from NY, we don't walk around with our map out - I keep it close, though - and keep my camera in a pocket when not in use.

what made some people stand out were wearing jackets when most Scandanavians were not and carrying Princess tote bags.

Jeans and sneakers were definitely the norm.

In cooler climates jeans are great for sightseeing and can be as smart as a pair of pants and of course they can vary in price from very little up to hundreds of dollars.

Jeans are very comfortable and can save a little on packing as you can wear them when flying thus saving some weight.

Jennie

Wore shorts throughout the cities on the Emerald Baltic Cruise and did not feel out of place because I was one of the thousands of tourists visiting. I did find it funny that people would ask my blond American , German /Swede wife questions. In one store she was complimented on her command of English, DUH

Nobody will point and stare if you're wearing jeans (they're pretty common attire in Europe nowadays), but --and I really can't emphasize this enough-- it can be hot. And many places do not have a/c. I swear there were more air conditioned public buildings where I lived in Moscow than there were in either Copenhagen or Stockholm -- including my hotel room in CPH! So, jeans can be an uncomfortable choice; I'd be prepared with lighter-weight selections, either capris/pants/shorts or skirts.

Not to mention that there will probably be all tourists at the places visted. The locals will be the people who work there.

I've heard the same thing about athletic shoes being an indication that someone is a tourist but just like jeans both appear to now be more popular with Europeans & when visiting family in the Netherlands they all wear jeans for daily use.

Jeans are very common in Europe also for men. You are right about the athelic shoes (especially the big white New Balance shoes....:D) being a clear indication that someons is a tourist.

Or over 65.

Sorry Mike, I beg to differ.

I wish people would not lump everyone together in age groups.

I am nearly 70 and yet look, act and am as fit as any 50 year old and I never wear sandshoes except when I go to the gym.

Wearing sandshoes or runners as they are called down here, is not my style and I always tour with suitable shoes, I think you call them loafers, that have rubber soles but are fashionable.

I am certainly not a dottery old person by any means. My mother is 95 going on for 96 and even she has never worn sandshoes or sneakers when out and about.

Jennie

Jeans are very common in Europe also for men. You are right about the athelic shoes (especially the big white New Balance shoes....:D) being a clear indication that someons is a tourist.

My SIL lives in Zeeland province & we enjoyed a bike/barge trip from Amsterdam a couple of years ago...great place to bike.

We were there last month, most of the locals were wearing jeans or shorts.

On the 7/7 sailing of the Emerald and saw plenty of jeans, both onboard and in port. I don't wear them, but most do because they're comfortable and perfect for the unpredictable weather in the Baltic. I wouldn't worry so much about fitting in with the locals. There won't be many locals at the tourist sites anyway.

One interesting thing I noticed in Scandinavia: quite a few European tourists wearing white sneakers, the kind that usually identify one as an American tourist. Looks like that's no longer a good identifier to use when playing "spot the American tourist."

Archived