Do you post on the ports/excursion boards??

I have noticed during what I feel is a short time on CC compared to a lot of regular posters. Anytime someone posts a thread here about excursions or information about a particular port, OP is quickly directed to check the port boards or there thread gets moved to the port boards. When you go to the port boards the threads get very few if any responses.

With that brings my question. Do any of the regular posters and more experienced cruisers ever check and post on the port boards??

I have noticed during what I feel is a short time on CC compared to a lot of regular posters. Anytime someone posts a thread here about excursions or information about a particular port, OP is quickly directed to check the port boards or there thread gets moved to the port boards. When you go to the port boards the threads get very few if any responses.

With that brings my question. Do any of the regular posters and more experienced cruisers ever check and post on the port boards??

Yes, all the time.

I also think that many people would benefit from the search feature on the Ports boards. I don't know how many times I personally have given the same information on the #10 jitney in Nassau. My guess is 99% of the questions asked over there (or here for that matter) could easily be answered by digging up some older threads.

Yes, all the time.

I also think that many people would benefit from the search feature on the Ports boards. I don't know how many times I personally have given the same information on the #10 jitney in Nassau. My guess is 99% of the questions asked over there (or here for that matter) could easily be answered by digging up some older threads.

I do agree with you on the search feature. I always use it before posting a new thread. Since my next cruise has a stop in Falmouth, I have been on that board a lot without much success on getting information. I have noticed that a lot of thread there go a long time without a response.

I rarely, if ever, go to the ports board. Right now, probably because I don't have any cruises on my plate...might be different if I did...

I also agree with rummenroman that the "search" feature is very under-utilized, not only on the "ports" board, but across CC in general...and there are often instances where people fail to read the existing threads in their rush to post "the latest news"...case in point-last week, the hurricane that led to changed itineraries and subsequently dissipated over Haiti...there were 3 separate threads about it...

This thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1435405 is probably why you're seeing those threads "moved"...

:)

You should post this on the Excursions/Port boards;););)

This thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1435405 is probably why you're seeing those threads "moved"...

Hence why I have never posted for information about a port on the RCI board. I try to follow instructions, same as dressing correctly for formal night. ;):rolleyes:

Hence why I have never posted for information about a port on the RCI board. I try to follow instructions, same as dressing correctly for formal night. ;):rolleyes:

You do make a good point though. It's a bit frustrating to post on those forums and not get any replies. I have found that oftentimes the best port and excursion info can be found on the Roll Call threads as those folks are actively planning such. Bon Voyage!

I am waiting (anxiously :D) to take my first cruise and as such cannot answer any cruising questions. However, I have enough land experience in some ports to be helpful to those asking questions about what to see, how to get there, etc. I check only the European port board because that's where we headed this fall, but it hasn't been my experience at all that the questions have few responses. If you ask a question there, it pretty well gets answered in a timely fashion. Of course, port questions are usually straightforward so they can be answered in a straightforward manner and it doesn't take 10 pages of opinion, hearsay, disputing, etc. to answer them!!! So maybe they do have "few" responses after all. ;)

I have used the port boards when planning for each cruise (once I joined CC of course). I find them to be VERY helpful.

Also, after a trip, I will tend to go back on those boards and post any tips that haven't already been covered.

Some examples of what has helped me:

Ferry schedule posted on the Bermuda board

Comparisons of beaches

Taxi fare from port to a location

The Ports of call boards are the best way to learn about a specific port one is cruising out of. There others will reply who have been out of these Ports, live in the area and are able to recommend what they feel are the best Hotels, good restaurants etc. I have been visiting the Spain Board all year to gain information about our upcoming trip.

The port threads also have updated information on many things that were mentioned at the beginning of the thread or a long time ago, such as time changes and itinerary changes, etc. So I always check the latest on any one port to see if things are still as they were. I have done many excursions based on that info. And if I feel any info I have to add will help, I post.

the "search" feature is very under-utilized

I use it but I hate it. Bad or inconsistant results are common. But better than nothing.

I use the Ports threads a lot BUT (as a destination expert over there) I suggest also using the forums at www.tripadvisor.com (a sister Expedia site to Cruise Critic). For "on the ground" info especially for hotels and restaurants you can't beat it. If you're ever going to Wyoming come ask me a question at TA (sorry, no cruises visit WY ;)).

I also use the special interest forums - especially the Disabled Cruising one to research issues for my wife. And the "Lose Before You Cruise" diet thread was what got me on to Cruise Critic in the first place after a web search for info on the Atkins diet (lost 30 lbs back in 2001 & 2002). Now doing more South Beach style with TONS more exercise and am close to being down 50 for the past year - with 25 more to go before next cruise.

Yes, all the time.

LOL!!! And I do appreciate that tip about the #10 jitney!!

I try to post over on the ports board as much as I can. I don't check it as often as I do here, but I do check over there often. I love to post pictures of places that we've been.....particularly beaches on each island.

I have received so much help from those boards.....it's unbelievable! I think the best and most active POC board is Alaska. Talk about valuable information!

Will probably cruise in Europe next summer (since that's just about the only place RCI is cruising in the summer now!) , so I'll be camping out on those boards soon!

WeLove2CruiseRCI- Hello neighbor! :D

So far as the port pages are concerned, if I've been there and learned something useful, I'll look to see if I can help with a question. The reverse is also true, I'll go snoop for info either to improve what knowledge I already have or to start gathering info for a port I've not been too yet.

Those pages have been very useful for finding private tour operators in all sorts of places. :)

I use it but I hate it. Bad or inconsistant results are common. But better than nothing.

I use the Ports threads a lot BUT (as a destination expert over there) I suggest also using the forums at www.tripadvisor.com (a sister Expedia site to Cruise Critic). For "on the ground" info especially for hotels and restaurants you can't beat it. If you're ever going to Wyoming come ask me a question at TA (sorry, no cruises visit WY ;)).

I also use the special interest forums - especially the Disabled Cruising one to research issues for my wife. And the "Lose Before You Cruise" diet thread was what got me on to Cruise Critic in the first place after a web search for info on the Atkins diet (lost 30 lbs back in 2001 & 2002). Now doing more South Beach style with TONS more exercise and am close to being down 50 for the past year - with 25 more to go before next cruise.

Sequim, use the "advanced search", not the pop-up search on this page. (it's an option in the pop-up box on this page).

The advanced search works VERY well.

I do agree with you on the search feature. I always use it before posting a new thread. Since my next cruise has a stop in Falmouth, I have been on that board a lot without much success on getting information. I have noticed that a lot of thread there go a long time without a response.

I found plenty of information about Falmouth on the ports of call board, although not as much as the other Jamaican ports, because it's a new stop. You have to give it time for people to build up the information base.

For Falmouth, use the regular RC board and do an "advanced search" for the word Falmouth. You'll see descriptions in people's reviews.

Yes, all the time.

I agree with roman above. When you think about it, since you only have a few hours at each port once you eat breakfast onboard etc, you don't want to waste time wandering about unsure what to do.

Now, the cruise we're tenatively scheduled to sail on in 2012 includes a stop in St. Kitts. Through the ports of call boards I've learned that a decent beach stop is Frigate Bay Beach. I've since gone to Webshots and looked at some photos of it, and realize that it might be a good way to spend our time that day.

So, in a word, yes, people do post there, and yes, ultimately, people do answer questions you may have if they're somewhat common questions. :)

I find them really chaotic and disorganised. Rather than having 1 thread per port it is Italy or Spain making them hard to find what you want.

An approach such as flyer talk have of only having one thread ( in their case for a hotel) and adding to it would work better in my opinion.

I find them really chaotic and disorganised. Rather than having 1 thread per port it is Italy or Spain making them hard to find what you want.

An approach such as flyer talk have of only having one thread ( in their case for a hotel) and adding to it would work better in my opinion.

I agree. I'm having a similar problem doing research for the Canary Islands. Aside from one or two residents, there doesn't seem to be as much info readily available and trying to decipher where to begin is the hardest part. When it comes to certain areas there is much more info available (i.e., the Caribbean or Alaska).

However, once I return from a trip, I do come back and share our experience with tour guides, money saving tips, etc. whenever we can.

I would agree 100% with this. When I was trying to research both my Mexican Rivera cruise, and my PNW cruise I found it very tiresome trying to find information on the specific ports I wanted. I do wish they would have "Mexican Rivera" section broken down further into specific ports.

Also when looking for information on the Bahamas I could never find the board for there. Little did I know it wasn't in the Caribbean folder, but listed on its own. Took me a while to find that one!

A majority of our posts (over many years) are on the port boards (primarily in the Med area) since we have a lot of fun sharing our expertise on European travel. The port boards have a wealth of knowledge that is difficult to find on any other source and cruisers should really take advantage of the search function to find needed info on various ports. As to the cruise line specific boards, although we contribute some posts (we have been on more then 60 differerent ships of 12 cruise lines) we do not enjoy the cruise line boards because they are often full of so-called "cheerleaders" who seem to have an agenda of promoting one particular cruise line. In fact, its common to have folks tell you that line "A" is the best line and then admit that they have never tried any other cruise lines. When it comes to the port boards if somebody posts bad info it will usually be quickly challenged (and corrected) by other posters.

Hank

Archived