Oceania Free Air

cruiseonly

We usually do not use the free air, but we have on a very few occasions and on those occasions it was fine. It seems to me that we had more notice of the details than one month but I could be wrong on that.

You still have to pay for transfers ... which we have never done. We usually find a cab is a LOT cheaper and probably quicker.

Mura

We took the free air and were satisfied as we could not get a better deal ourselves. For our next cruise, we have booked the air ourselves as we get a better flight time, the airline we want and the price was roughly the same. I think it depends on where you are flying from and to if it is a good deal. Book your own transfers, less expensive than using Oceania.

Hello: Sailing on the Nautica on Sept. 19 from Athens to Istanbul. We're travelling from Toronto. Would love some information about air. We also booked the transfers from Oceania. I was a little concerned about delays. I figured if Oceania books everything then it's their responsibility to get us to the ship on time. Thanks, CanadianTom

We have taken Oceania's air, and have also done it on our own. When we took air with them (in and out of Miami) the flight there was OK, but on the return flight, we were routed from Miami to JFK to get to San Diego, making it a loooong trip. Since, as noted, you don't get confirmations until a month or so before the trip, it is also way too late to do anything about it.

Using their air credit allows you and your TA to tailor your route, costs and times much better. It is also generally no more expensive, especially if you're flying business class. One drawback is having to pay for air much earlier in most cases.

also as noted, transfers are not included, and are an extra cost. It depends on the airport re how we would do it, but for Istanbul, a private car from ship to airport will be about 40-50 Euro max, which is far less than the cost to ride a bus with ship transfers. Athens is generally the same price, although their recent taxi issues as a part of general unrest would prompt me to just use the ship transfer for now.

In short, the more you travel, the more likely you are to be confident using TripAdvisor and similar sites to see what others think, and then make your own arrangements for both flights and transfers. It will be cheaper, quicker and usually more comfortable. You would, though, be responsible for payment on the spot (or when reserving) and be on your own re late arrivals, etc.

Bob H

Something not yet mentioned is to check with O regarding the amount of the credit per passenger if you choose to arrange your own air. Then check to see if you can book your own air at a lower price. The advantage of arranging your own airfare is you can book much earlier (270 days before departure for most U.S. airlines, I don't know about Canadian airlines), and you have a much better seat selection.

You did not mention when your cruise leaves, but arriving at least the day before you sail to ensure you are on time for the cruise is a really safe step. You never know when a flight might be delayed or cancelled. If you use O's air, this currently involves a $100 per person "air deviation" fee. O will assist you with your air deviation. They will propose a route, but if you do not like what you see you can even ask for specific flights (if there is a difference in the fee from the flight you would fly with O's arrangements you pay any difference). You do not pay for the deviation until you accept O's proposed flight itinerary.

If your cruise is in 2012 you will be scheduled for arrival a day prior to embarkation, and you will spend a night in a hotel assigned by O. Check your documentation carefully, call O or ask your TA about this fairly recent O change, because it entirely depends on the date of your departure. We have found we can schedule comparable hotels (sometimes even the same hotel) for much lower prices than O charges, so check the credit O will give if you don't use their hotel and shop around.

I also highly recommend arranging your own transportation to the ship (taxi, bus, etc.) to save money, unless, as stated earlier, you're going to a country recognized to have transit problems around the time you will arrive.

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise!

We used Oceania's air from Vancouver - Lisbon and on return, Athens - Vancouver. We paid an additional $100 each for deviation fees.

We had great flight times and connections.

The airline was BA and we had good service and good food.

It worked well for us; no complaints at all.

We have used Oceania air twice but we did a deviation so we could fly in a day or more early (recommended)

They were fine because we got the flights & times we wanted

We have also taken the air credit & booked our own air or driven to the port

When you book using a deviation (for a fee) you get your flights as soon as you accept what Oceania presents you with or you have chosen for yourself

Talk to your TA (if you use one) or Oceania deviation dept

If you do a search on the Oceania forum there are several discussions on doing the Deviation & the included air

Compare the options then decide

Lyn

We fly Business Class and have extensive miles with United/Star Alliance, so we never take Oceania's free air. The Oceania Business Class is way overpriced (Regent has a much better deal for paid Business Class, with free Business Class for PH or above) so we buy upgradable coach on United and then use miles and a copay to upgrade.

We have used Oceania air twice but we did a deviation so we could fly in a day or more early (recommended)

They were fine because we got the flights & times we wanted

We have also taken the air credit & booked our own air or driven to the port

When you book using a deviation (for a fee) you get your flights as soon as you accept what Oceania presents you with or you have chosen for yourself

Talk to your TA (if you use one) or Oceania deviation dept

If you do a search on the Oceania forum there are several discussions on doing the Deviation & the included air

Compare the options then decide

Lyn

Lyn, I am not sure but I dont think clients can talk directly to the air deviation department.

Jancruz1

Lyn, I am not sure but I dont think clients can talk directly to the air deviation department.

Jancruz1

If they book through a TA, then the TA has to do all the talking.

If they book it direct with the cruise line then the passenger gets involved.

Thanks Lyn.

I did a search on deviation and got a lot of info.

One that was interesting said that if you cruise in 2012 you will be scheduled for arrival a day prior to embarkation. O would put you in a hotel, but you can book your own hotel.

Probably that is for Europe cruises. Mine is from Toronto to Miami.

So if it is also for Toronto to Miami, then I would not have to pay the $100 deviation fee.

But probably if I wanted to see if they can use my flight info, then they might charge the $100.

Will have to have TA call. I prefer to do my own calling, but cannot since the TA booked the cruise.

If they book through a TA, then the TA has to do all the talking.

If they book it direct with the cruise line then the passenger gets involved.

Well JimandStan, can only talk for Regent but, since the air department is the same for both cruise lines, would expect talking to them to be the same but, can't confirm. Recently, the past month or so I was trying to deviate on Regent and had no problems talking to the air concierge at PCH several times. Gave me all the information I needed without going back and forth with the TA and Regent (PCH). Didn't detect a bit of an issue with asking them any questions. I probably could have booked my air direct with them but, decided to provide what I wanted based on what the air department told me and I only paid the $100 pp deviation fee and got the exact flights I wanted and even First Class air within the US on our way home.

Doesn't cost anything for the OP to call and ask for the air desk and see if they will talk direct to Oceania customers as well as Regent. Worst they can say is no and the best is they will talk and give the information directly to the passenger.

So if it is also for Toronto to Miami, then I would not have to pay the $100 deviation fee.

Only if you fly in prior to embarkation day or you request specific flights

But probably if I wanted to see if they can use my flight info, then they might (they will if you accept the flights requested) charge the $100.

Will have to have TA call. I prefer to do my own calling, but cannot since the TA booked the cruise.

If you are going during the winter month it may be a good idea to fly in early in any case

You TA can work with Oceania to get the flight you want at 270 out then you have no worries other than the weather ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

On a recent cruise we paid the $100 deviation fee but were not pleased with the airlines or schedules offered. Our TA was able to negotiate flights that suited us better and also get most of the legs upgraded at standard airline rates, to extended seating. This proved very comfortable especially on the return from London to LAX.:)

On a recent cruise we paid the $100 deviation fee but were not pleased with the airlines or schedules offered. Our TA was able to negotiate flights that suited us better and also get most of the legs upgraded at standard airline rates, to extended seating. This proved very comfortable especially on the return from London to LAX.:)

I don't understand this statement, because once you pay the deviation then YOU (not Oceania) pick the flights that you want.

When I deviate, I submit the flight schedule that I want at the same time as I pay the deviation fee.

Occasionally, if my preferred itinerary costs more than Oceania is prepared to "allow" for my travel, then there may be a surcharge, but I would never pay the deviation fee without knowing what flights I wanted Oceania to book for me.

Hello: Our cruise is Sept 19, 2011(next month). The air fare they charged me was $500 including taxes. I haven't been able to get anywhere close to this price for air to Athens and return out of Istanbul. Thoughts. Thanks

Thoughts: you should be dancing in the street at this incredible bargain!:D

The flights are great. Leave Sept 18 5:55pm, direct, Toronto to Athens arrive 10:30am and leave Istanbul at 8:50am arrive Toronto at 6:30pm. Called Air Canada picked the seats I wanted and picked my seats on-line with British Airways. Great service from Oceania. CanadianTom

The flights are great. Leave Sept 18 5:55pm, direct, Toronto to Athens arrive 10:30am and leave Istanbul at 8:50am CanadianTom

Are you overnighting in IST??

That is an early flight:eek:

Lyn

Is it possible to wait for the flights that Oceania proposes and then decide to pay the deviation fee in order to get ones that are more acceptable to you ?

Can you invoke the deviation option any time before getting flights assigned by Oceania, or do you have to specify it at booking ?

Anybody heard if the Fly-in-one-day early policy in 2012 - if arranged by Oceania - applies to Asian cruises ?

Thanks in advance

I would love to know if the fly one day before will apply to the Tahiti cruise of April 22, 2012. I can’t imagine flying from Toronto to Tahiti, boarding the Regatta the same day as the flight and then being even remotely functional to enjoy the next port of call at 8:00 a.m. If Oceania has the fly in the day before I would be much more comfortable..if not I’ll do air deviation..it would be nice to know in advance.

The flights are great. Leave Sept 18 5:55pm, direct, Toronto to Athens arrive 10:30am and leave Istanbul at 8:50am arrive Toronto at 6:30pm. Called Air Canada picked the seats I wanted and picked my seats on-line with British Airways. Great service from Oceania. CanadianTom

Are you non-stop or direct? These are two different things. Direct means at least one stop with no change of planes. Non-stop means non-stop.

Also, did Oceania end up booking your flights and your TA got you the better seats for the $500 or was the $500 paid to Oceania for the deviation in addition to the normal $100 deviation fee that must be paid by all?

Hello: No we arrive in Istanbul the previous day so flight at 9:00am the next day won't be a problem. The flight from Toronto to Athens is a non-stop flight. The $500 was the full cost of the flight because of our change from our other cruise. There was no change fee required. CanadianTom

Since you likely won't know what flights O has assigned you until 60-90 days (at best) beforehand your options and the related costs of alternates will be much different than if you do the change early on likely making a deviation at that point questionable.

If you have specific flights you want and are concerned about not getting them by luck of the draw from O pay the $100 and nail the flights down now.

Is it possible to wait for the flights that Oceania proposes and then decide to pay the deviation fee in order to get ones that are more acceptable to you ?

Can you invoke the deviation option any time before getting flights assigned by Oceania, or do you have to specify it at booking ?

Anybody heard if the Fly-in-one-day early policy in 2012 - if arranged by Oceania - applies to Asian cruises ?

Thanks in advance

Archived