Connections..

Ms. T

Anyone experience any trouble using 3G/Wifi while cruising? Were you hit with usage charges? I was told using 3G/Wifi while cruising should have no problem access the internet nor should I be hit with charges.

Anyone experience any trouble using 3G/Wifi while cruising? Were you hit with usage charges? I was told using 3G/Wifi while cruising should have no problem access the internet nor should I be hit with charges.

All cellphone and wifi usage on a ship goes via satellit, slow and costs and arm and a leg.

Best wait til you are in port and try to to find a wifi hot point, but becareful about sensitive data.

Ron

3G is phone cell service. There won't be any towers at sea.

Many ships have wifi and support cellphone at a cost above and beyond :eek:

And if you don't like slow 3g beware of the ship experience :mad:

There is no 3G on ships because there are no cell towers in the ocean. You are bound by the satellite service on the ship.

For Internet, you can expect it to take a minute or longer to download one page. Unless you purchase a package of minutes, you'll pay around 60 cents a minute. The more minutes you purchase in a package, the lower the per minute charge. And, wifi is not free on a ship...it's the same per minute charge as using a ship computer or laptop.

Ms T.

I don't know of any major US cell carriers that have free international roaming as part of their US calling plans. (Some do have international dialing, but that means dialing to an international location from the US). While onboard, the Pride's cell service has its own status as an international country. You will be charged for calls and data at whatever international roaming rates are part of your plan, and that assumes you have enabled international usage in the first place. Please contact your cell provider for the details, or repost with more specifics as to what carrier, plan and phone you are using.

Wifi access, including wifi calling, are dependant on connecting to a wifi signal. The ship's wifi is not a free connection.

Archived