Sovereign of the Seas Remembered

The SOS was my first cruise, as well. It was in 1992 and before the existence

of boards like this one. No YouTube and no online reviews. In some ways it made the whole thing more exciting because of the surprise element of it all! You really didn't know what to expect.

Does anyone remember the books which were published and distributed to everyone in their cabins, listing the names of all of the passengers and the cities from which they came? It was really neat.

The food in the dining room was so amazing as well. I used to cruise with my single friends and now I cruise with my husband and I tell him that the standard of cuisine that is now served in the extra charge restaurants, was what used to be served in the dining rooms on ships of the SOS vintage. Little extras included a whole box of chocolates in your cabin on St. Patrick's Day. That would never happen today, when lines are eliminating the nightly pillow chocolates!:eek:

It was an amazing experience and started my life long love of ships and cruising. In a few weeks, I'll be going to my first All Inclusive resort, in the Caribbean and I hope it will hold the same place in my memories, a few decades down the road!

Does anyone remember the books which were published and distributed to everyone in their cabins, listing the names of all of the passengers and the cities from which they came? It was really neat.

I remember getting them and checking each name to see where everyone was from. It was so interesting to have so many different countries represented! I also remember buying a little package filled with the weeks menu's in it. It was $5.00 in 89.

The dates in that video were a little confusing. First it said 10/24/08. Later on it said 10/25/08. Then at the end it said 10/24/08. The actual final voyage date was 10/27/08.

We were on the final public voyage 10/24/08. That's when they had the cake, the singing, the gifts and such. I believe there was a private charter on the 27th.

Our friends here in Canada worked on the ship for a while. They were just sharing some memories from the ship this past weekend. I have forwarded this to them. Thanks for sharing!

I was surprised to come across this video. We had the most fun when we cruised her, I imagine because we had no idea of what to expect. I have read here that it may have been due to the fact there was no you tube, or any site of this sort. That may be true. But I have researched each and every cruise we have taken, and when we get on the ship, I am still amazed. I was surprised to see the names of the cruise employees at the end of the video....to see Desmond's name on the list. He is still with RCCL, sailing on the Monarch of the Seas...a wonderful man who loves his work and it shows. I guess that is why we love RCCL so much....every employee we come in contact with is happy friendly and cannot do enough for you.

I am happy that I was able to see this video and share it.

I remember getting them and checking each name to see where everyone was from. It was so interesting to have so many different countries represented! I also remember buying a little package filled with the weeks menu's in it. It was $5.00 in 89.

.....just like it was yesterday! I still have mine. Tucked inside the album of cruise memories. The cruise line wouldn't dare do this today....it might infringe on someone's rights....how sad.

I still have the book of passengers from our cruise in the early 90's, as well as the little box of menus. Too bad the menus don't look like these today! The video showed the large clock in the centrum. I know we have a picture standing in front of it, and I was just wondering how many thousands or even hundreds of thousands have pictures taken there? SOS was our first cruise, and probably most memorable. It turned us on to cruising that week, and we've never looked back. Thanks for the memories.

Great video. I never got to sail on her but have on her sister ships many times. I find it interesting to see how things have changed in just a short number of years.

Question, I saw in the video a champagne bar. Where was this (or better yet what is it now?)

For any of you who have sailed on the Sovereign of the Seas, there is a great video that was added to You Tube. It was posted in February of this year of the last voyage that the ship made prior to moving it to Europe. This was the first ship that I sailed and watching the video brought back many good memories of why I have remained a Royal Caribbean cruiser. Check it out.

Sovereign was the first 2 ships we sailed. Our first was with 3 other couples. We liked it so much, we took our kids (teenagers at the time) on Sovereign a year later. Same ship, same time of year, much different cruise :rolleyes:. Ship was still great. Got to sail on Sovereign a couple of times also after she was refurbished. Never saw the clock work!:eek:

We were on the final public voyage 10/24/08. That's when they had the cake, the singing, the gifts and such. I believe there was a private charter on the 27th.

That was a nice Video of the Sovereign.

The Final Public Voyage was actually 27 - 30 October 2008; which I was aboard; and on 30 October 2008 was the Bud Light Charter.

Our Voyage of 27 October 2008 also had the cake; singing; photos; and everyone was issued a Sovereign Final Voyage Certificate.

Strange that they gave out the same Final Voyage Certificates on the 10/24/2008 Voyage.

Anyway; it was quite a time and FUN was had by ALL.

Great video. I never got to sail on her but have on her sister ships many times. I find it interesting to see how things have changed in just a short number of years.

Question, I saw in the video a champagne bar. Where was this (or better yet what is it now?)

It was on Deck 7. It was called the "Touch of Class" Champagne Bar.

Our friends here in Canada worked on the ship for a while.

Crazy question: What happened to the crew from Sovereign? Did they stay with Royal and were transferred throughout the fleet, or did they go with the Sovereign? (Okay, more than 1 crazy question). Thanks for response(s)

P.S. I have sailed on Sovereign twice and although the video was beautiful, I couldn't watch it all the way through. Brought tears to my eyes.

Happy and safe cruising to US all.

Crazy question: What happened to the crew from Sovereign? Did they stay with Royal and were transferred throughout the fleet, or did they go with the Sovereign? (Okay, more than 1 crazy question). Thanks for response(s)

P.S. I have sailed on Sovereign twice and although the video was beautiful, I couldn't watch it all the way through. Brought tears to my eyes.

Happy and safe cruising to US all.

I got emotional watching it as well. Brought back fond memories. I missed the farewell cruise but heard from crew who were left on the pier that is was very emotional for them. I was pleased to see Desmond's name in the credits as he is my all time favorite Barman on Sovereign and now Monarch (where he has been since Sovereign left). Hope to see him next month along with several other friends on Monarch!!!!

Never saw the clock work!:eek:

The clock was working when we last cruised. I saw an excellent video on it but don't recall where?! It is still on Sovereign but they moved it to the end of the Guest Services area near the entrance to the elevators. Previously someone posted a picture of it there.

The final public voyage was 10/27/08. I have the certificate that all passengers received dated 10/27/08 and my completed cruises on the web site lists 10/27/08. I also celebrated my birthday on the 29th.

The 3 night Bud lite Party cruise followed this one.

Sovereign was my 1st Cruise Ship (October 10, 2008) and I have been hooked every since! There was so many bad reviews that I read on review boards before I took the cruise and after I did that 3 day cruise, I was so impressed and couldn't understand why there was so much negativity toward this ship! I loved it!

Sovereign of The Seas anchored in Coco Cay October 12, 2008

TheSovereignoftheSeas2.jpg

Terrific ship and crew. I was on many sailings including the last weekend she sailed. What a party! Can't forget my favorite cabin - 9028. I sailed in that cabin many times, thanks to a helpful loyalty ambassador.

Just had dinner with Ole ( Operations - Facilities Manager on the Monarch) and he told us he was able to get clock to work during the refit. As soon as he left the ship - it broke again!

M

I never cruised on the Soverign of the Seas...but while on Royal Caribbean Sun Viking in San Juan we were able to go over and board the Sovereign and play a game of Bingo. We also had a Western Themed Dance. It was such a beautiful ship, I will never forget how big and beautiful she was. All the passengers talking about how difficult it was to find their way to the cabin….I wonder how they feel about the Allure and the Oasis!

We cruised on her on June 29, 2000 and it was the first ship our family cruised on. We are now Diamond and more than halfway to be Diamond Plus. We had a great time, it was a three day cruise and a gift from my MIL to all her children and their Families. My oldest Daughter who was 16 at the time was not much of an Eater and was not into large meals, the waiter who was on his last cruise before vacation and only had our table to watch asked her what she wanted and she just shrugged her shoulders. He brought back the kids menu and some crayons which made her smile and she placed her order. She ended up with a peanut butter sandwich, hotdogs, and milk. She had it every night of the 3 day cruise and was as happy as she could be. It was a great time and we started cruising at least once a year (sometimes 3 times) ever since.

We have three cruises scheduled over the next 6 months, and my oldest daughter, her husband and 3.5 yo son will be joining us for the first time in 5 years. We can't wait.

Mike

While never having sailed SOS I do have quite the memory of that grand old lady. It was our very first cruise on the Southward with no frame of reference I thought she was huge, couldn't have imagined anything bigger that is until St Thomas. We docked early in the morning and while on my morning walk, my eyes first gazed on the Soverign of the Seas. Our ship felt like a dingy in comparison. While I will always have a special place in my heart for the Southward being my first cruise, the Soverign forever tainted my memories of my very first experience at sea.

Archived