Liquor Question

I was just wondering how I can purchase some rum from Jamaica and some tequila from Mexico on my cruise and be able to take it home? You can't carry on any liquid and I wouldn't want to pack it so how the heck can you get it home on an airplane?

I was just wondering how I can purchase some rum from Jamaica and some tequila from Mexico on my cruise and be able to take it home? You can't carry on any liquid and I wouldn't want to pack it so how the heck can you get it home on an airplane?

Well, as you say, you cant do the first and dont want to do the second so really you shouldnt buy any..

If you wrap up the bottles REALLY well plus put them in zip lock bags you should be fine putting them in your suitcase (I use the hard shell type suitcase i.e. Delsey or Samsonite) but it is always a chance you have to take. My job involved travelling around the world and I guess I have been lucky so far _ I used to pack several bottles of Expensive wine in my case but I would wrap them REALLY well in newspaper and then in several plastic bags surrounded by clothes and wedge them in the centre of my case.

The other thing you need to think of is the airline weight restriction.

They make inflatable bottle wraps. It is basically an airbag for bottles that you put the bottle inside. Use them all the time, never had one break.

They make inflatable bottle wraps. It is basically an airbag for bottles that you put the bottle inside. Use them all the time, never had one break.

Where might I find such a bag? Sounds like a handy thing to keep in my luggage.

Where might I find such a bag? Sounds like a handy thing to keep in my luggage.

I use a "wine skin". I ordered these online. It is a heavy duty plastic bottle shaped thing with a bubble wrap interior. The glue seal on the bottom is made for single use but I use duct tape to keep reusing them. I have never had a problem. I do put the bottle then in a zip lock bag....just in case. Do remember that the luggage will be heavier.

Thanks for all your answers! Another thing I thought about is how am I going to pack any bottles when they take them from you when you get on the ship and don't return them until you get off the ship. I will have to be at the airport opening up my suitcase and trying to wrap and pack the bottles making sure that whichever suitcase I put them in doesn't go over the weight limit. Starting to really talk myself out of any purchases!

Thanks for all your answers! Another thing I thought about is how am I going to pack any bottles when they take them from you when you get on the ship and don't return them until you get off the ship. I will have to be at the airport opening up my suitcase and trying to wrap and pack the bottles making sure that whichever suitcase I put them in doesn't go over the weight limit. Starting to really talk myself out of any purchases!

They return them to you in your stateroom on the last night of your cruise.

I am pretty sure they return them to you on the evening of the last day. That way you can pack them before putting your luggage out for pick up.

Maybe you could bring some empty plastic bottles - or even those rumrunner things - and transfer the liquor to those before packing. At least you won't have to worry so much about breakage and the weight will be a lot less. Certainly wouldn't try this with fine European wines, but for tequila and the like it might work.

I have brought back several bottles of wine along with perfume.

I wrap it well in my dirty cloths. Never had a problem

If you purchase several bottles in St. Thomas at one store they will box it for you to check at the airport. They claim they never had a complaint. I am sure other islands will also do it but if stopping in St Thomas you can bring back more.

I have seen the inflatable bottle protectors at many of the liquor stores that we have shopped at in the Caribbean. If you don't see them ask and they may either sell these or be able to bubble wrap the bottles for you.

I have put several bottles in my luggage over the years and never had a problem. Everything for a couple 26 oz bottles to 3L bottles. Most glass bottles are pretty heavy duty but still take the care to pack it properly between your clothes. Weight has also never been a problem for me either, just gotta know how to pack properly.

my liquor purchase has always come in that RCI cardboard box. I stuff it with the dirty socks and dirty unmentionables and put the whole box in the middle of the checked luggage with the rest of the dirty clothes around it. By the end of the cruise the checked luggage has nothing but dirty clothes in it and my carry-on has what's left over of the clean. And I've never exceeded the weight allowance for the checked bag.

I bring back booze from the island all the time. Save a ton of $$ off what it costs here in the states. I take rumrunners with me - www.rumrunnerflasks.com. They work great for bringing booze home. Eliminates the weight of the glass bottle and the problem of possible breakage (althought I have never had a bottle break either before we started using rumrunners). I have the 32oz size so they hold a little more than a liter. Makes packing them so easy in the checked luggage since they are way more pliable and take up so much less room than a bottle does.

bring bubble wrap with you, and then wrap it in jeans or sweaters, keep it in the center of your suitcase. you'll be fine. Just remember it will add weight to your suitcase, so if you are close to the weight limits you may end up paying for excess weight.

Archived