We Haven't Mentioned Maasdam......

sail7seas

We've been speaking of Veendam and her NYC embarkation this weekend for Bermuda but I've started to become a bit concerned about the beautiful Maasdam. She will disembark her Voyage of the Viking guests who have (most of them) cruised for 35 days and end their cruise in Boston on Saturday.

Her new group of guests will board and are to sail north back on Maasdam's Canada/New England itinerary.

If Hurricane Irene comes up the coast to Boston and points north, I wonder where they'll take Maasdam?

Just heard our local weather and six different weather maps show the course to have Irene hitting New England Sunday.....on the right side of the storm where winds are the strongest. :eek:

Oh MY - and if she hits - we`ll probably feel it here in Atlantic Canada too.

Hopefully the cruise has an alternate path - I`m sure they are looking and figuring things out as we post:confused:

We were on the Maasdam cruise last September that had three ports cancelled and we hurried back to Boston to tie up while Hurricane Earl passed through. Thankfully, Earl didn't hit Boston but when the decision was made, it appeared it would. We got back to Boston Thursday afternoon for a cruise that was supposed to end on Saturday.

There aren't a lot of choices of 'somewhere else' to go on this itinerary. It's hard to say what HAL would do if, indeed, Irene does head to Boston and points north.

I'm so sorry you have this stress, Judy, when you should be happily anticipating a wonderful Maasdam cruise.

Hope it works out well and we here in Boston don't get visited by Irene.

Sheila,

That cruise was second half of our b-to-b and boarded in Montreal on September 2, 2010.

DH and I were just about the luckiest two aboard. Many guests were so disappointed, understandably. We had already had eleven wonderful days on Maasdam, had visited all our ports the first week and enjoyed fabulous weather. The day we arrived back in Boston was gorgeous. We didn't have any airline problems as Boston is home and they handled getting us off the ship and into a taxi so smoothly. Of course, we were disappointed but when you travel enough, these things will happen.

We were on the Maasdam cruise last September that had three ports cancelled and we hurried back to Boston to tie up while Hurricane Earl passed through. Thankfully, Earl didn't hit Boston but when the decision was made, it appeared it would. We got back to Boston Thursday afternoon for a cruise that was supposed to end on Saturday.

There aren't a lot of choices of 'somewhere else' to go on this itinerary. It's hard to say what HAL would do if, indeed, Irene does head to Boston and points north.

This is Deja Vu. After anticipating that cruise for two years we missed most of the ports. I can't believe a full year has gone by. And yes, the decision was made but boy was it sunny and bright when we landed in Boston.

We were in Boston last September waiting to board the Maasdam when the hurricane passed by well offshore, making it a non-event for Boston (thankfully.) We just had our Ghosts and Gravestones tour cancelled the night before since they were anticipating bad weather and didn't want their actors placed at risk. That was disappointing, but we FULLY understood that it could be dangerous for those folks who were stationed at various locations throughout the city.

Just heard our local weather and six different weather maps show the course to have Irene hitting New England Sunday.....on the right side of the storm where winds are the strongest. :eek:

The weather map I have seen shows Irene possibly reaching New York City (not New England) by 8pm Sunday. So Maasdam should have the ability to do the change over in Boston this Saturday.

Just a guess, but perhaps the m/s Maasdam will skip Bar Harbor and head further north sooner than usual to try and stay ahead of the storm.

Weather reports I heard this morning are not good. It's picking up steam, expected to possibly hit Florida and then move the eastern coast and the eastern seaboard and even hit parts up here. Hopefully, somehow, it loses its' power and changes direction. but it does not sound good at all right now :(

The weather maps this morning show Irene heading up from VA and mid-Atlantic states into the northeast on Sunday and into New England on Monday morning. I'd be more concerned about Veendam out of NYC on Sunday than Maasdam headed north on Saturday.

Maasdam pax will need raincoats, but are leaving out of Boston ahead of the storm. But, it's hard to image Veendam heading east/southeast from NYC into the Atlantic and right into Irene on Sunday afternoon.

On a positive note, there is the possibility voiced by some experts that since this hurricane has been trending further east with every report, that there is actually a possibility the hurricane may never make landfall along the east coast. That is not the official forecast of the NHC at this time, but the steady eastern trend is leading some models down that path.

Still, even with it off the coast up to 250 miles, it will have an effect on the coastal areas.

The Maasdam, however, should be perfectly safe leaving port on Saturday ... well before the storm reaches that area Sunday night into Monday morning.

BTW, Irene will not hit Florida. We've been out of the cone, thankfully, since yesterday morning. I noticed someone said she would hit here and wouldn't want anyone worrying unnecessarily!

I have not followed the projection of what track the storm will take as it leaves Boston? Will it hit Halifax? Certainly won't be the first time. I haven't checked this morning at what speed it is travelilng but, of course, that also changes.

The storm could follow Maasdam north.

Perhaps Maasdam will go to Bermuda on Saturday instead of New England, by beating the storm out of Boston and sailing east south east. Looks like going north is going to be very problematic since the storm is forecast to move right up along the coast. In any case it is going to be a very rough ride for those now returning on both the Veendam and Maasdam as well as those leaving on the Maasdam. As for those sailing out of NYC on Sunday PM for Bermuda, that does not look possible. My guess is they stay docked (if they even make port Sunday morning) until at least Monday PM. The other possibility is they keep the Veendam in Bermuda until Saturday afternoon and arrive in NYC Monday morning. In any case I'm glad my wife and I are taking an Alaska cruise this year!! Best of luck to all of you leaving the north east this weekend.

We are actively monitoring weather systems related to Hurricane Irene. At this time, no changes to Maasdam or Veendam sailings have been made and we will continue to watch the storm closely. If any changes should be required we will notify impacted guests and travel agents. The safety of our guests and crew is always our top priority. Thanks for your questions, concerns and interest.

- Holland America PR Team

We are actively monitoring weather systems related to Hurricane Irene. At this time, no changes to Maasdam or Veendam sailings have been made and we will continue to watch the storm closely. If any changes should be required we will notify impacted guests and travel agents. The safety of our guests and crew is always our top priority. Thanks for your questions, concerns and interest.

- Holland America PR Team

Hello Holland America PR Team,

Thank you for the update.

Just one thing. I wish you would sign a name rather than posting anon, although any update is great. (Just fyi some of the other cruise line boards on Cruise Critic do have a paid authorized company blogger who will answer these sort of questions.)

We have good friends returning to Boston on Saturday on the Maasdam and I was hoping that they would be able to enjoy some nice weather while cruising back. Gregdude indicates that it will be a pretty rough ride and I appreciate everyone who is posting regarding the return of the Maasdam. I am hoping that everyone departing on Saturday will be able to board and depart for a great cruise. Cherie

Archived