Kids in CL?

I was a whole lot more tactful than that in the message I just sent to C&A. LOL But I basically said the same thing. I wasn't going to write but decided I should at least let my voice be counted. I read the line someone just posted about the "adult oriented atmosphere" in the concierge's welcome letter to us and decided to use that as the basis for my request to keep children out during that very brief time - since most of the ship is available to all ages at almost all times.

Maybe they should allow children to go to quest. Shouldn't that be up to the parent's discretion? :rolleyes: ;) I'm sure many children are very mature and could handle it without being disruptive. They could even help by getting a piece of fruit when needed or carrying the bag full of props. :eek:

(no I'm not trying to change the subject. I just got to thinking.... :p )

Gina

I've seen that too.........some mom brought her little one up when they asked for some form of birth control!!:eek::eek:

LOL yes, I was typing, cutting and pasting on my iPad.. So I messed up my comment..

1. Of course many many many people have given RCL well over 10,000

2. Of course many people are D+ cruise in suites

3. And yes, there are "budget diamond plus cruisers" I meet quite a few of them in my TA. :D (I just pulled the 10k out of my hat.. )

And yes, many suites do go for over $10k bacause I have priced them at different times.

The fact is, RCL has a great repeat guest program, so many many people are looking to access the CL. BUT just as many new cruisers are families, and they stay in suites, and they want access to the CL at all times.

Some what is RCL to do? There is no way to make all guests happy.

I'm listening to and I heard the same thing you did. I doubt very seriously that repeat business doesn't matter to any corporation. Why else do they create the loyalty/frequent flier programs. After you've sailed once in your suite and, from the sound of it, bragged all about it while acting like an obnoxious elitist, then possibly took your BIG BUCKS elsewhere, we loyal cruisers keep coming back.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Even if a D+ Member is booked in an inside cabin..........that person in that inside cabin spent more bucks to get to that level of C&A than you did on your one and only cruise on RCI in a suite. That really was a very insensitive and judgmental comment from a first time cruiser.:(

You both said it much better than I did! :)

Thanks

When my wife and I cruised with our children and we stayed in GS, we asked about and questioned the rule in CL. We accepted the policy and made arraignments so we could go to the CL. Sometimes the concierge would assist us.

Now that we cruise by ourselves, we looked forward to CL and adult interaction.

Over the past few years since the Oasis and Allure have been sailing, we have seen significant changes to C&A, CL, Diamond Event and so on. I was looking at the number of high end suites on these two ships and the cost for double occupancy booking and the 3rd and 4th passengers cost in those suites. Those in the suites are swinging a very powerful hammer when you look at the bottom line. I wonder if top management maybe looking at this as the next step to increase revenue and repeat customers into the high end suites.

I do not agree with the change, but I guess I will have to take my old carcass to Celebrity and enjoy Michael’s Club, when I am ready to go.

Oh, by the way we raised 5 children and have 6 grandchildren. So we do enjoy children, just as much as we like adult only activities.

As I get older things take on less importance. If I am not happy I go somewhere else. I will let Royal know when I no longer plan to cruise with them, and why.

When my wife and I cruised with our children and we stayed in GS, we asked about and questioned the rule in CL. We accepted the policy and made arraignments so we could go to the CL. Sometimes the concierge would assist us.

Now that we cruise by ourselves, we looked forward to CL and adult interaction.

Over the past few years since the Oasis and Allure have been sailing, we have seen significant changes to C&A, CL, Diamond Event and so on. I was looking at the number of high end suites on these two ships and the cost for double occupancy booking and the 3rd and 4th passengers cost in those suites. Those in the suites are swinging a very powerful hammer when you look at the bottom line. I wonder if top management maybe looking at this as the next step to increase revenue and repeat customers into the high end suites.

I do not agree with the change, but I guess I will have to take my old carcass to Celebrity and enjoy Michael’s Club, when I am ready to go.

Oh, by the way we raised 5 children and have 6 grandchildren. So we do enjoy children, just as much as we like adult only activities.

As I get older things take on less importance. If I am not happy I go somewhere else. I will let Royal know when I no longer plan to cruise with them, and why.

There is absolutely no arguing this...some of the #'s are knee buckling...especially when most 3rd and 4th rates are more than just booking a separate balcony cabin...as a matter of fact in booking suites I have booked a separate cabin only to keep it empty because it was more price efficient to just book it that way than just booking the suite with all 4 of us in it....go figure that one:rolleyes: However Royal has caused themselves their own trouble also....on Oasis and Allure the Loft Suites were supposed to have their own Loft Lounge...the space is there and it's even still listed that way on the plans....but did they implement this...NO, the lounge is gorgeous and sits unused...so maybe they should go back and start looking at some of these things....if you want to charge HUGE $$$$$ for big suites....don't get cheap and then decided to keep lounges empty and not expect those suite guests to start complaining....on Oasis Class ships, that's a perfect lounge they can use for families...what would it cost them...nothing, they already have the lounge and the personnel.

I realize that only a small percentage of cruisers post on Cruise Critic so the posts here may not accurately reflect the opinions of most cruisers but I certainly believe that if one were to carefully research the posts on this board they would find very few complaints from passengers, whether booked in suites or not, because they were not being allowed to bring their kids with them to the concierge lounge during cocktail hours and I have to believe that that the percentage of complaints that RCI has received from non-CC cruisers has been so different and sufficient to justify RCI's new policy. Sounds like the kind of knee jerk reaction that RCI has become notorious for and is another example of 'Act in Haste, Repent at Leisure'. RCI may now have to revisit the issue but will be hard-pressed to come up with a solution to a problem that is basically of their own making.

There is absolutely no arguing this...some of the #'s are knee buckling...especially when most 3rd and 4th rates are more than just booking a separate balcony cabin...as a matter of fact in booking suites I have booked a separate cabin only to keep it empty because it was more price efficient to just book it that way than just booking the suite with all 4 of us in it....go figure that one:rolleyes: However Royal has caused themselves their own trouble also....on Oasis and Allure the Loft Suites were supposed to have their own Loft Lounge...the space is there and it's even still listed that way on the plans....but did they implement this...NO, the lounge is gorgeous and sits unused...so maybe they should go back and start looking at some of these things....if you want to charge HUGE $$$$$ for big suites....don't get cheap and then decided to keep lounges empty and not expect those suite guests start complaining....on Oasis Class ships, that's a perfect lounge they can use for families...what would it cost them...nothing, they already have the lounge and the personnel.

Wow I did not realize they did not use that lounge. I remember checking it out on our first Oasis cruise and I agree it is very nice.

Just got the call from the Executive Offices at RCI. Full of thanks for loyalty to RCI and apologies and acknowledgements of our concerns. Stated the Concierge will be responsible to keep the atmosphere calm, etc, but not sure how they can guarantee that as the parents who feel the strongest aren't likely to take kindly to being told their child is out of line. Squeaky wheel got this change without input from both sides, maybe squeaky wheel will get the original access for 3.5 hours reestablished. It works both ways boys and girls.:rolleyes:

We're not getting what we paid for when we booked our GS. The perk section, as someone previously posted CLEARLY states adults only, 21 and over during those hours. Rolling out this policy change quietly reeks of cowardliness.

I realize that only a small percentage of cruisers post on Cruise Critic so the posts here may not accurately reflect the opinions of most cruisers but I certainly believe that if one were to carefully research the posts on this board they would find very few complaints from passengers, whether booked in suites or not, because they were not being allowed to bring their kids with them to the concierge lounge during cocktail hours and I have to believe that that the percentage of complaints that RCI has received from non-CC cruisers has been so different and sufficient to justify RCI's new policy. Sounds like the kind of knee jerk reaction that RCI has become notorious for and is another example of 'Act in Haste, Repent at Leisure'. RCI may now have to revisit the issue but will be hard-pressed to come up with a solution to a problem that is basically of their own making.

Agreed.

Just got the call from the Executive Offices at RCI. Full of thanks for loyalty to RCI and apologies and acknowledgments of our concerns. Stated the Concierge will be responsible to keep the atmosphere calm, etc, but not sure how they can guarantee that as the parents who feel the strongest aren't likely to take kindly to being told their child is out of line. Squeaky wheel got this change without input from both sides, maybe squeaky wheel will get the original access for 3.5 hours reestablished. It works both ways boys and girls.:rolleyes:

We're not getting what we paid for when we booked our GS. The perk section, as someone previously posted CLEARLY states adults only, 21 and over during those hours. Rolling out this policy change quietly reeks of cowardliness.

We received a similar phone call that lasted @ 20 minutes. RCI appeared genuinely surprised at the blow back they are receiving over the new policy. Obviously they are reviewing the policy and hopefully they will reinstate the 3 1/2 hours of adults only time in the Lounges.

Just difficult to understand how anyone would think Adults, Liquor and Children in a confined space would somehow enhance the total cruising experience.

Even if a D+ Member is booked in an inside cabin..........that person in that inside cabin spent more bucks to get to that level of C&A than you did on your one and only cruise on RCI in a suite. That really was a very insensitive and judgmental comment from a first time cruiser.:(

Thank you, Patti! :D

Sorry you did not like my comment, but I am tired of the judgmental elitist "d+" telling everyone in ear shot that only their opinion counts and because the rest of us have not taken a couple of million cruises on "their" cruise line that we need to shut up and do it their way. When I spend the money to fly first class, cruise in a suite, stay in a hotel use, or whatever, I have just as much right to argue my case as does a person who booked the inside cabin somewhere below the engine room 87 times. Sorry if you do not like it, but before you call me judgemental, elitist, or other name, read some of these posts and consider who is looking down thier nose at who. Bottom line, companies want big spenders and they listen to what these customers hae to say.

To be honest, I quit reading on page three because some of these people are annoying. I cruise in SUITES, I like SUITES and I pay ALOT OF MONEY for MY SUITE and for anyone traveling with me in MY SUITE. I have been in SUITES every time I cruise except one.

I hated the fact that on Voyager I wanted to stop by the CL to check on a shore excursion, pick up tickets, or have ONE drink, and my daughter could not come in with me. She is well behaved, well dressed, and respectful of adults and the atmosphere she is in. But because we wanted to obey the rules I had to either go in by myself and have her stand outside while I stuck my head in, or she had to stay in the cabin with my wife while I went. I PAID big bucks for my SUITE and could care less what a D+ down in some inside cabin thinks. This is a decision that should be left to the parent, and if you want to make crude jokes, talk inappropriately, or get drunk, the CL is not the place for you anyway. It is a quite place where behavior should be civilzed and refined, regardless of the age of the guest.

Would I sit around in there all night with my kid downing drinks, no way. Would it have been nice for her to have been able to stay with me when I briefly stopped by, yes.

The concierge also has morning hours where kids are welcome.

We received a similar phone call that lasted @ 20 minutes. RCI appeared genuinely surprised at the blow back they are receiving over the new policy. Obviously they are reviewing the policy and hopefully they will reinstate the 3 1/2 hours of adults only time in the Lounges.

Just difficult to understand how anyone would think Adults, Liquor and Children in a confined space would somehow enhance the total cruising experience.

...but the call semed all for not since you have already sworn your loyalty to another (X).....and I guess professional athletics as well as Nascar is off limits to our future caretakers.....;)

Sorry you did not like my comment, but I am tired of the judgmental elitist "d+" telling everyone in ear shot that only their opinion counts and because the rest of us have not taken a couple of million cruises on "their" cruise line that we need to shut up and do it their way. When I spend the money to fly first class, cruise in a suite, stay in a hotel use, or whatever, I have just as much right to argue my case as does a person who booked the inside cabin somewhere below the engine room 87 times. Sorry if you do not like it, but before you call me judgemental, elitist, or other name, read some of these posts and consider who is looking down thier nose at who. Bottom line, companies want big spenders and they listen to what these customers hae to say.

I would probably have a heart attack if I actually totaled up how much we've spent on cruises since 1973 (see my signature), so I guess I can join the club of big spenders that RCCL will listen to? However, I think RCCL is slightly more democratic than that, and what they really listen to is the MAJORITY of passengers and what they have to say.

.....YaaHOOOO ...give it to 'em Tex....One thing I love about Texas is they call 'em as they see 'em.....Hope to run into you and yours someday in the C.L.....:)

As a Diamond member, soon to Diamond Plus, and a suite guest I have misgivings about allowing young children in the CL. I have seen many well behaved children on the cruises, and some really, lack of a better term misbehaving children. In most cases the children disruptive behavior is not addressed by the parents or by supervising adults. I believe that type of behavior is unacceptable anywhere on a cruise ship, including the CL.

I have seen adults be extremely disruptive in the CL and the concierge has addressed it privately with the offending party. I have seen the disruptive behavior ignored by ships staff, including a recent thread about ridiculously bad behavior in the Windjammer.

At this point I am willing to give the policy a chance. However, if our experiences in the CL are less than acceptable (adults and/or children), I will let the concierge, ship's staff and above know of my displeasure. I can accept a certain amount cutting up, kids being kids, and off-colored jokes. I don't know what level it could become bothersome, but I will know when it gets there. I will have firsthand experience with the new policy within the next 85 days.

Remember suite guests, on most ships we have a cocktail party with the ship's captain and upper staff, this maybe an appropriate time to let them know.

Recently, one of sons told me, "If you want to get someone's attention today, take a video and post it on you tube!"

Remember suite guests, on most ships we have a cocktail party with the ship's captain and upper staff, this maybe an appropriate time to let them know.

I wonder if kids will be invited.

Well, we have stayed in suites quite a few times and although I splurge on our room I do not spend alot on the ship. So, if you are bragging about being a big spender why not go on the pool deck and just buy your drink. Your child will be happier than sitting in a boring lounge.

Just got the call from the Executive Offices at RCI. Full of thanks for loyalty to RCI and apologies and acknowledgements of our concerns. Stated the Concierge will be responsible to keep the atmosphere calm, etc, but not sure how they can guarantee that as the parents who feel the strongest aren't likely to take kindly to being told their child is out of line. Squeaky wheel got this change without input from both sides, maybe squeaky wheel will get the original access for 3.5 hours reestablished. It works both ways boys and girls.:rolleyes:

I just heard of this policy change. Will RCI ever leave well enough alone? Over the past years the Loyalty program has changed more than once, and here we go again. RCI said they had complaints from suite guests, but how many? 10, 20, 50 or more? So, based on the what ever number of complaints they make a sweeping change that impacts many thousands of loyal, highly valued (as RCI has said over and over) customers and set off a firestorm that will only bring hard feelings and possible cruise cancellations and possible total defections from RCI. This seems to be the way of business, not just RCI. But, I have always believed that Spock was right. The good of the many does outweigh the good of the few.

Our next cruise is a b2b in October and we will experience and evaluate this policy change while on Jewel OTS. Based on what I see on board and any other RCI loyalty program changes in the meantime we will make a decision on out Australia to Vancouver, b2b on Radiance next April. However, we will have to seriously consider Celebrity or even another line.

Really? My goodness, if you don't like it don't go. It's just a couple of hours and you have lots of other choices for drinks. I don't like smoke so I only go to the casino on smoke free night.

The only night I can see us taking the kids is formal night. Everyone might gather for a drink there before we head down for photos. But I only take my kids to dinner on first and formal night so they won't be there other than that one night.

We have always found many ways to escape the kids. The solarium, the casino, the disco, the spa/fitness center, specialty rest. later in the evening and most bar/music venues have little to no kids in the evening. I don't think the CL will end up being much different. I am sure there are some exceptions to all of the above but overall it is not difficult to escape the children.

Archived