Kids in CL?

To me it seems like there are many people in the world, and many like them on cruises, who think any noise a child makes to be a distraction. Even normal talking and laughing brings many evil stares from folks. Have we become so intolerant of children these days that we feel the only "proper" place for them is anywhere away from us? I generally cruise without children, but when we have brought our grandchildren with us on occasion some adults have been so rude to them.

I not only don't mind children being around us when we are traveling, I welcome the chances I have to interact with them. I find that the vast majority of children are well behaved and delightful...too bad some people can't get past their bias to realize that.

I feel sorry for those people I see on cruises who seem so unhappy with everything...always complaining, finding fault with everyone...waiters, stewards, passengers. They can't be having a very good time if they are constantly looking for things to be angry about.

I don't think your last paragraph has anything to do with whether somebody wants kids in the CL at the cocktail hour (although I agree with it). We all get that RCI is a family-oriented line. Not wanting to be around kids for a couple of hours (of free drinks) doesn't (IMO) make a person biased against them. Several parents have posted to this thread with the same opinion, after all.

I don't think your last paragraph has anything to do with whether somebody wants kids in the CL at the cocktail hour (although I agree with it). We all get that RCI is a family-oriented line. Not wanting to be around kids for a couple of hours (of free drinks) doesn't (IMO) make a person biased against them. Several parents have posted to this thread with the same opinion, after all.

I have 5 children, and 10 grand children (I'M way too young for GGC). So, I'm not against children. Still, please, not in the CL.

No, she is a GREAT parent with a child that I would happily sail with any day because I know that she would be a joy. :) BPlazo has always been a conscientious parent.

Do you actually know her, I mean have you actually sailed with her or met her in person? Because she has made some rather weird comments on another thread on this subject. Just wondering because giving the a okay to someone without really knowing them won't do your online reputation ( especially as a TA) very good. Just saying...

What I find odd is that he says so few suites have requested it which is why he is allowing it. The way I see it is, if so few have requested it, what's so hard about telling those few "NO!" It's not like he is going to offend the majority of suite guests by saying no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's time to give the D+ the boot in the CL and make it for suites only as it was originally intended. I would love to be a fly on the wall when that happened. That would be hilarious. It would also cut down on the gossip that we read here about the concierges and what is going on in their personal lives.

It's usually a bit more expensive to book the child into another room rather than as a 3rd/4th in the suite, so I would challenge that if I were a parent using the lounge. If the parents are in an eligible suite, all minor children should have the ability to share amenities with a parent.

I was basically told this (by a higher-up, not a C&A rep) when I booked a GS last summer. I wrote asking about my minor children using suite amenities with me and I was called and told that it was absolutely fine (except for CL during happy hour, at that time).

That should not happen. If you're not booked in a suite then you should not be allowed in the CL regardless of what cabin mommy and daddy booked.:rolleyes:

Thank you, Michele. I am just saying that RCCL can cater to both groups, those that have children and those who travel without them. In all my cruises I really have not seen too many children misbehaving but I still would like a few more adult only areas. When cruising with my daughter I never had a problem obeying the age limit rules, in fact, some area where she was allowed to go she did not because I did not think it was appropriate.

Just because I think my daughter is adorable and cute and can do no wrong :) does not mean everyone else does.

I also think cruisinmamao6 is a considerate parent :)

..and I'm sure you have a lovely family but people just wish a change and I would assume after all the studying RCCL had done on the subject decided that the change should contribute to the bottom line...all about the Benjamins....$$$$$...."SHOW ME THE MONEY"...not out to "diss" the D+++ as some believe....;)

I feel sorry for those people I see on cruises who seem so unhappy with everything...always complaining, finding fault with everyone...waiters, stewards, passengers. They can't be having a very good time if they are constantly looking for things to be angry about.

If I were to approach the CL for a pre-dinner drink and find it overrun with kids, I would turn around and go pay for a drink at the Schooner Bar. I already do that anyway if the CL is crowded. Comfort is more important to me than a free drink. In about 5 minutes, I would forget about not getting my drink in the CL.....that is, until my emotion of kids in the CL gets embellished by a thread on CC. Funny how that works, huh?

Do you actually know her, I mean have you actually sailed with her or met her in person? Because she has made some rather weird comments on another thread on this subject. Just wondering because giving the a okay to someone without really knowing them won't do your online reputation ( especially as a TA) very good. Just saying...

What a very judgemental comment and it is a good thing that I do not give a rats behind what anyone on this message board thinks.

I have never actually met Michelle but I can tell that she is a great person and mother. I do not think that her reputation is in any jeopardy by her comments but I am sure that she is touched by your concern. Just saying .....

Terri & Patti - I too had my phone conversation with that same young lady......it seemed quite awkward for her.....but she was very polite and said that she made note of my suggestions. Time will tell if things change again. I would love to see the numbers of pro's and con's of those who thought enough to contact AG and voice their views.

• 4 weeks later...

I sent emails to both Richard and Adam expressing my views on the recent decision to allow kids in to the C/L. Last week I received a very nice call from a young man by the name of Jason in response to my email. He very patiently explained that the concierge has been given "extra power" to make sure there will be no disruptions in the evenings!! Not sure how that is going to work out, can,t imagine that suite guests will take kindly to being asked to keep their offspring in order. I asked him if this decision was going to be permanent and he said that it was but that RCCL will continue to listen to and take note of comments made by their customers. I guess that until I have actually experienced any problems with their new policy I,ll reserve judgement but I,ll be interested to hear of others experiences.

Last week on the Freedom the signs were still up about no one under 18 at happy hour and the letter in our room stated the same thing.I kept a copy of the letter. The right hand still doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Last week on the Freedom the signs were still up about no one under 18 at happy hour and the letter in our room stated the same thing.I kept a copy of the letter. The right hand still doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

This is what I am hoping for:D

This fits with what the previous poster said about the Concierge having the authority to make sure there are no disruptions.

I asked the CL on the Freedom on 9/11 about the new policy. He said they have had very few children coming in during happy hour, and he's keeping a close eye on it.

I didn't use the CL on that cruise since my friend could not attend with me.

We had kids on the Serenade. There were only a couple of them and they were very young. They stayed with their parents who spent most of their time over at the concierge's desk discussing something. The first week, the event was moved up to the lounge and there were no kids. So far, I can't really complain. What fun is that?

Yes, because the website says this:

The Concierge Lounge is designated as a smoke-free area. We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times). Guests 21 years and younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times.

So if a suite or D+ guest is told children can not enter they would probably point that out.

This fits with what the previous poster said about the Concierge having the authority to make sure there are no disruptions.

I asked the CL on the Freedom on 9/11 about the new policy. He said they have had very few children coming in during happy hour, and he's keeping a close eye on it.

I didn't use the CL on that cruise since my friend could not attend with me.

Good to hear. We board Freedom in a week.

Just got an email from a friend on Explorer. She said they have changed the rules fleetwide and are allowing kids from suite guests in the CL...

REALLY RCL???? During a cocktail hour??????? What's next? No alcohol cuz we don't want children seeing people drinking???

I LOVE my grandkids dearly but there is a time and place for kids....

Cocktail hour is NOT for children...

The CL does get crowded at times and agree completely adult beverage time is for adults, just my humble opinion.

Just had a standard Suite welcome letter from the Concierge and it still states children not allowed.

I agree children should not be allowed in the lounge during the free drinks period.

Three reasons, its crowded already, its the only Adult Club and who wants bored children playing?.

I wonder how many suite guests that travel as couples and diamond plus they asked before changing this?

If you want it changed back, write to Rccl as the more that complain will have it reconsidered.

Unless it is an excuse to remove Diamond plus at a later date?

Just had a standard Suite welcome letter from the Concierge and it still states children not allowed.

I agree children should not be allowed in the lounge during the free drinks period.

Three reasons, its crowded already, its the only Adult Club and who wants bored children playing?.

I wonder how many suite guests that travel as couples and diamond plus they asked before changing this?

If you want it changed back, write to Rccl as the more that complain will have it reconsidered.

Unless it is an excuse to remove Diamond plus at a later date?

We just got off Explorer OTS. Unfortunately, we did have young tots in the CL during cocktail hour. :( One night we endured a cranky, crying baby! :mad: The children were the children of suite guests. I believe this change was to give suite guests and additional perk. There were spilled sodas and several incidents of tots handling the hors d oevres. (taking them from and then returning them to the tray) I love kids, I love cruising, but I think it is inappropriate to have children in the lounge during the cocktail hours. It was always young children, the teens wouldn't be caught dead with their parents. There is such limited seating and during 5-8:30 the lounge is a bar. As adults, we do not venture into the arcade or designated childrens lounges. There should be some adult areas/times as well. When we returned home DH and I wrote a letter expressing our opinion. These are just our opinions.

Blessings,

Colleen and Dave

We just got off Explorer OTS. Unfortunately, we did have young tots in the CL during cocktail hour. :( One night we endured a cranky, crying baby! :mad: The children were the children of suite guests. I believe this change was to give suite guests and additional perk. There were spilled sodas and several incidents of tots handling the hors d oevres. (taking them from and then returning them to the tray) I love kids, I love cruising, but I think it is inappropriate to have children in the lounge during the cocktail hours. It was always young children, the teens wouldn't be caught dead with their parents. There is such limited seating and during 5-8:30 the lounge is a bar. As adults, we do not venture into the arcade or designated childrens lounges. There should be some adult areas/times as well. When we returned home DH and I wrote a letter expressing our opinion. These are just our opinions.

Blessings,

Colleen and Dave

The concierges aren't going to jeopardize their tips by enforcing the rules with small children. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I'm sure we'll be hearing many more of these types of stories in the near future.

Blessings,

Colleen and Dave

That is what everyone was afraid of. Why would parents think that everyone should have to endure listening to their screaming child? And why would they allow their kids to handle the canapes and then put them back on the trays?:eek:

Evidently some parents are still ignorant of how to handle their own children in social circles.:rolleyes:

Blessings,

Colleen and Dave

Please make certain the you pass along your experience to RCI personally. The concierges are stuck with this policy and only pax will get it changed back to the way it should be if they continually report these kinds of incidents. I feel sorry for the concierges. Their jobs are hard enough without having to endure screaming kids and constantly patrol the food area in order to keep kids from handling the food.

Archived