Seabourn's "house wines"

glenr

On the subject of wine putdowns I can still remember being on the receiving end of one, need I say not on a Seabourn ship, or indeed any ship, but at a land based "fine" restaurant many years ago.

The sommelier recommended a wine (top of the price list of course) and I said to him, "Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd like a bottle of the xxxx instead". His response "Of the wines inferior to my suggestion, that is a fair second choice". I was suitably admonished :rolleyes:

My Seabourn travelling companions and I are most hopeful that Perrier Jouet will be the house champagne on the 2012 Quest world cruise. This is much preferred to Nicolas Feuillatte! Our next choice would be Heidsieck Blue Label.

Happy Cocktail Parties Ahead!

Does anyone know if Seabourn ever includes a "Reisling" in their wine list? I know it isn't a "GREAT" wine but I happen to enjoy drinking it.

Thanks and have a great next cruise.

I hope they do as I only drink white and Hock, reisling type are the ones I like.

As far as I can see and taste, wine is like Art you like what you like. It's all subjective.

Thanks for replying on the reisling wine issue. I also enjoy that type of white wine and unfortunately I didn't see if on the list of available "free" wines. I like your comment on comparing taste in wine to taste in art.

Have a great next cruise.

Recommended by John Mariani, Esquire Food and Wine Critic:

>"A Toast to Bargain Wines by George M. Taber (Scribner, $15)--At a time when the global wine market is in a frenzy to find enough First Growth Bordeaux to supply Chinese millionaires and Russian billionaires, the need for a book like this, by one of America's most commonsense wine writers, is great. needed. But this is not simply a screed of favorite wines--though about half the book are Taber's worthwhile picks; it is a look at how and why the global market got so completely wacky and how a few iconoclastic winemakers changed outmoded ideas of taste and tradition, leading to far more good and diversified wines to choose from, not least from, you guessed it--China. Perhaps Taber's most salient comment is that "All the world's major wine-producing countries are now selling surplus wines at reduced prices, operating in the unregulated and little-known bulk market, where tanker ships or wine are daily bought and sold."

Recommended by John Mariani, Esquire Food and Wine Critic:

>"A Toast to Bargain Wines by George M. Taber (Scribner, $15)--At a time when the global wine market is in a frenzy to find enough First Growth Bordeaux to supply Chinese millionaires and Russian billionaires, the need for a book like this, by one of America's most commonsense wine writers, is great. needed. But this is not simply a screed of favorite wines--though about half the book are Taber's worthwhile picks; it is a look at how and why the global market got so completely wacky and how a few iconoclastic winemakers changed outmoded ideas of taste and tradition, leading to far more good and diversified wines to choose from, not least from, you guessed it--China. Perhaps Taber's most salient comment is that "All the world's major wine-producing countries are now selling surplus wines at reduced prices, operating in the unregulated and little-known bulk market, where tanker ships or wine are daily bought and sold."

And allegedly some of the bulk transfers come rto the UK to be bottled here. It is always worth checking the fine ( sometimes very) print on the bottle label to divine the provenance.

During our Quest TA we still liked our Robert Mondavi Chardonnay and sometimes had the Louis Latour Grand Ardèche for a change. But we are Chardonnay people and we also like Gewürztraminer which was not offered nor on the wine list. I don't think there was Riesling either.

Though the Champagne is a bit too "bubbly" .... it is not really bad.

Marja

During our Quest TA we still liked our Robert Mondavi Chardonnay and sometimes had the Louis Latour Grand Ardèche for a change. But we are Chardonnay people and we also like Gewürztraminer which was not offered nor on the wine list. I don't think there was Riesling either.

Though the Champagne is a bit too "bubbly" .... it is not really bad.

Marja

We liked the Mondavi Chardonnay too - didn't expect to, but we felt it was better than the run of the mill Mondavis. Also liked the Petit Chablis, again not expecting to. I have never seen or been offered a Gewurz or a Riesling either - I think they have a probably underserved reputation, at least in the UK, for being sweet and not particularly good.

We liked the Mondavi Chardonnay too - didn't expect to, but we felt it was better than the run of the mill Mondavis. Also liked the Petit Chablis, again not expecting to. I have never seen or been offered a Gewurz or a Riesling either - I think they have a probably underserved reputation, at least in the UK, for being sweet and not particularly good.

I like my chardonnays too and I was pleased with the Mondavi...thanks for your recommendation. We also liked a Cote du Rhone and one Spanish one. The only time I heard complaints was when they were serving J.P. Chenet rose in the Colonnade. I am not a rose drinker but apparently it is known to be a very cheap one, and I heard one of the waiters apologize for it and say it was bought by mistake.

Oh dear -- there goes our rose drinking at lunch. May have to try to buy some in FLL pre cruise to bring on board. It also appears that we will buy a Gold package for dinner wines. Guess the rumor of Seabourn taking our concerns over their "fine wines" was just wishful thinking.

I like my chardonnays too and I was pleased with the Mondavi...thanks for your recommendation. We also liked a Cote du Rhone and one Spanish one. The only time I heard complaints was when they were serving J.P. Chenet rose in the Colonnade. I am not a rose drinker but apparently it is known to be a very cheap one, and I heard one of the waiters apologize for it and say it was bought by mistake.

If that is so, it is a mistake they have been making for a long time!!

Happy Thanksgiving Nancy, and everyone in the USA!:)

Long time "lucrker" here and decided to finally start posting. We are on the Legend tomorrow boarding in Athens and will do a report from the Legend to see if the quality and/or selection of wines has changed at all since our last seabourn cruise.

I have found all of you to be so valuable in sharing some good information on this board.

Seabourntraveller,

Welcome to the "other " side! Many of us who have been on Seabourn numerous times are very happy to share our thoughts and experiences. But we we also pick up information on this board as well. I hope you have a great cruise and please do report on the house wines!

Seabourntraveller,

Welcome to the "other " side! Many of us who have been on Seabourn numerous times are very happy to share our thoughts and experiences. But we we also pick up information on this board as well. I hope you have a great cruise and please do report on the house wines!

Tonight we were offered in Restaurant 2 Santa Margerita Pinot Grigio and another Chardonay from Australia ....both very "drinkable" but I wouldn't classify either as "fine" wines.

Seabourntraveller,

Keep in mind that you do not have to limit your wine selection to what they "offer" each day. Get to know the sommelier and ask him/her what other wines they have on board.For instance if they offer a merlot one night and you are not a merlot lover you can say, " What other reds do you have ?" Usually they are very willing to try to find somthing you will find acceptable from their house stock.

Seabourntraveller,

Keep in mind that you do not have to limit your wine selection to what they "offer" each day. Get to know the sommelier and ask him/her what other wines they have on board.For instance if they offer a merlot one night and you are not a merlot lover you can say, " What other reds do you have ?" Usually they are very willing to try to find somthing you will find acceptable from their house stock.

Will DO!...thanks for the "tip".;)

We tried the Louis Latour "Ardeche" tonight and thus far this bottle is one of the better ones served here onboard the Legend.

That's the problem. The Latour "Ardeche" is an $8 US retail Chardonnay and it is one of the "better ones". For Seabourn probably $4 wholesale. Step it up Seabourn. You have got to spend at least $8 - 10 wholesale for a drinkable wine. This is unacceptable.

Archived