Seabourn's "house wines"

glenr

Well I guess another option would be to buy two glasses at the wine shop and then just leave them behind when we disembark.Pretty soon things are going to get to the point where they will lower the quality of the bedlinens and we will bringing that on board and there will no room for my dresses in our luggage:rolleyes:

We didn't speak to the hotman, but I think we made our feelings known to some key folks.

No corkage charges, and we have never experienced them on Seabourn.

The wine was a 1990 La Lagune. Really terrific.

We didn't speak to the hotman, but I think we made our feelings known to some key folks.

No corkage charges, and we have never experienced them on Seabourn.

The wine was a 1990 La Lagune. Really terrific.

A shame you had trouble with the glasses for such a great wine. i was told cokage was $11 if I brought wine to dinner-which I think is ridiculous. May pick up some Reidel glasses before we board in BA

Just a thought - does the 'sommelier' get a percentage if he sells you a bottle of chargeable wine? Could this perhaps account for problems with this particular man on Quest?

Another thought - it does sound from the very recent postings as if the experienced and best staff do get moved upwards, from Odyssey to Sojourn, and then on to Quest, which would therefore at present have the most polished service?

i was told cokage was $11 if I brought wine to dinner-which I think is ridiculous.

Who told you this? Have never experienced corkage charges on seabourn. Why would they charge? After all, you are saving them money by not drinking the wine they would otherwise serve you free of charge. It's totally different from taking your own wine to a restaurant where they would be hoping to sell you some. Think somebody's stringing you along.

Another thought - it does sound from the very recent postings as if the experienced and best staff do get moved upwards, from Odyssey to Sojourn, and then on to Quest, which would therefore at present have the most polished service?

If staff are moved as you suggest, why do you say "upwards"? Newer, yes, but better I don't think so. But perhaps I am wrong.

If staff are moved as you suggest, why do you say "upwards"? Newer, yes, but better I don't think so. But perhaps I am wrong.

It depends on what you value most, I suppose. We did love the little ships, and did quite a few cruises on them and would go back. However, we have found just a few things we personally prefer on the larger ships - the more roomy and quieter Colonnade, both indoors and out, the fact that there is a special restaurant 2 (which we do not use) so that there is more choice of menus at dinner time, and the increased space, per person it seems, on deck, and without the constant noise on the decks of the small ships. We have not been on Odyssey, on Sojourn twice, and about to try Quest. But the Observation Lounge on the small ships is much nicer, and we do like the intimacy of the Club. A completely personal opinion, but we have met others who agree.

It depends on what you value most, I suppose. We did love the little ships, and did quite a few cruises on them and would go back. However, we have found just a few things we personally prefer on the larger ships - the more roomy and quieter Colonnade, both indoors and out, the fact that there is a special restaurant 2 (which we do not use) so that there is more choice of menus at dinner time, and the increased space, per person it seems, on deck, and without the constant noise on the decks of the small ships. We have not been on Odyssey, on Sojourn twice, and about to try Quest. But the Observation Lounge on the small ships is much nicer, and we do like the intimacy of the Club. A completely personal opinion, but we have met others who agree.

I can understand and agree about moving "upwards" relating to moving from the little sisters to the big sisters. What i would like to know is why moving from "Odyssey to Sojourn, and then on to Quest" is considered upwards.

Chairsin

Make a note to stop by Le Cellier du Gouverneur wine shop in Gustavia ~I believe when we sailed together Dec. 2004 (Pride) we visited the store ~it's on the right walking up to 'Le Select (Cheeseburgers in Paradise) The shop has a wonderful selection of excellent wines.

Also in San Juan the grocery stores and Walgreens carry wines and liquors. Might be worth a look ~~

The boutique shops in Old Town (San Juan) have great fashions. Check out their 'Mary Francis' handbags ~

Martita B.

I can understand and agree about moving "upwards" relating to moving from the little sisters to the big sisters. What i would like to know is why moving from "Odyssey to Sojourn, and then on to Quest" is considered upwards.

Sorry Orpington T - badly phrased. Although people have certainly said that Sojourn had improvements over Odyssey, which stands to sense really, like getting rid of the strange large tables in the dining room and lack of vibration. But I should have said 'onwards', of course.

Thank you for picking it up for me.;)

Sorry Orpington T - badly phrased. Although people have certainly said that Sojourn had improvements over Odyssey, which stands to sense really, like getting rid of the strange large tables in the dining room and lack of vibration. But I should have said 'onwards', of course.

I wasn't trying yo be picky. I just thought there was perhaps a perceived seniority in the three newer ships.

Cheers.

To those who are thinking off bringing their own glasses aboard, who is going to wash them between uses? If they won't give you the larger glasses why would they wash yours and store them for you each night? Again, a word with the maitre d' or hotman should help.

Lincslady, I think at the dry dock of Odyssey they got rid of the long tables in the dining room.

Perhaps someone that has been cruising recently, on Odyssey, can confirm, also about the vibrations.

Sailing soon on Odyssey, just off the Quest.

Well I guess I could take them back to the suite and wash them -- but really I was not being serious. We certainly will "make nice" with the maitre' d and/or sommelier and see what happens. After all -- for every bottle we bring on board one less out of Seabourn's stocks. That should at least be worth them taking the trouble to provide us with the better wine glasses.

No corkage fee, in my past experiences.

This is the answer I received from Seabourn when I asked the question re corkage:

Thank you for contacting Seabourn. There is an $11 corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the dining room

Pretty bush league-might understand if all wine was extra but to charge you for your own bottle that you bing due to a poor selection of house wines is ridiculous

This is the answer I received from Seabourn when I asked the question re corkage:

Thank you for contacting Seabourn. There is an $11 corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the dining room

Pretty bush league-might understand if all wine was extra but to charge you for your own bottle that you bing due to a poor selection of house wines is ridiculous

Agreed. It takes a lot of work for the waiter to take that cork out!!! Use your own opener? Uncork in cabin and bring glass and bottle? How tacky on the Seabourn! This policy doesn't make sense. Maybe call back and ask someone else? Sometimes it depends on who you talk to! (or email).

This must be another one of Seabourn's new, unevenly applied pseudo policies. We have brought wine one board before and never been charged a corkage fee. May I ask the name of the Seabourn person who told you this?

This must be another one of Seabourn's new, unevenly applied pseudo policies. We have brought wine one board before and never been charged a corkage fee. May I ask the name of the Seabourn person who told you this?

I agree- although I think corporate rules are sometimes bent when onboard the ship.. ;)

Host Dan

Dan,

I do agree with you that there may be some discretion to enforce policies on board but as I am thinking of bringing wine onto the Quest in December I would like to know if this is something new.I have said it before -- one of the things that is frustrating many of us who have cruised on Seabourn for awhile is that we are just not sure what to expect anymore from cruise to cruise.

We just got off the Quest a couple of weeks ago, and there was no corkage for our three bottles.

Certainly there is a little more work for the sommelier -usually getting better glasses and giving the bottle a little more attention than a bottle of plonk. Further, I would not abuse the policy by bringing cases of wine aboard. That being said, if they were to charge corkage, it would be one more incentive to "try the waters" elsewhere.

I agree- although I think corporate rules are sometimes bent when onboard the ship.. ;)

Host Dan

Dan

it was in an email-here is the "signature'

Robert

Seabourn

800-929-9391

EMAIL:seareservations@seabourn.comSeabourn.com

and here was my response to his email re the corkage policy;

That's a really bad policy especially in light of the scathing comments Seabourn is getting on the cruise comment boards with respect to the quality of the "house wines". We are trying Seabourn for the first time on this cruise after being long time Regent clients. We just moved to Seattle so thought we'd go with the "home town" line that better fit our schedule this time but are getting a little apprehensive given some of the posted comments and policies like this. We have heard good things as well so better not to prejudge. I guess we're just used to the graciousness we have always found on Regent.

Thank you

Archived