Seabourn's "house wines"

glenr

For any fans of NZ sauv.bl., which we enjoy with a casual lunch, recently on Odyssey the cruise began with Wingspan, then moved on to Nobilo and then Villa Maria, both of which we found superior. There seemed to be no logic to this, except they said they had 'run out' of the previous one, so maybe they were actually taking some on board or finding it in the depths of the 'cellar'. My conclusion - you never know what will be offered until you are on board.

For any fans of NZ sauv.bl., which we enjoy with a casual lunch, recently on Odyssey the cruise began with Wingspan, then moved on to Nobilo and then Villa Maria, both of which we found superior. There seemed to be no logic to this, except they said they had 'run out' of the previous one, so maybe they were actually taking some on board or finding it in the depths of the 'cellar'. My conclusion - you never know what will be offered until you are on board.

And always ask what is available. A copy of the included wine list is a good starting point.

Also, they do replenish stocks at some ports of call ( Venice on our recent Quest Cruise). It took over a week for these new wines to get through the " system" and appear in the restaurants.

I will leave it to someone else to explain pong.

However, as we were just gearing up to raiding the pension fund for another cruise, with the Quest in our sights, I find your observation alarming, Marianh.

Am I to take it that the ship smells like a Virgin Pendolino???

This could all be very enigmatic to a non-UK resident.....

I will leave it to someone else to explain pong.

However, as we were just gearing up to raiding the pension fund for another cruise, with the Quest in our sights, I find your observation alarming, Marianh.

Am I to take it that the ship smells like a Virgin Pendolino???

This could all be very enigmatic to a non-UK resident.....

Initially, the sewage smell was attributed to the Venice lagoon! However, it was apparent on the ship for all of our cruise. Sometimes a whiff or two, other times very noticeable. Particularly on deck 5 midships. There were reports of nauseous levels in some deck 4 suites bathrooms. But I cannot verify this. The Seabourn staff appeared to be in denial ( not surprising) -as they were about the strong tobacco smoke smell in the area of admin offices on deck 5. EG Quote " Oh I cant smell anything because I come from a family where everyone smokes". Rumour was that there was a vent around deck 5 that was the culprit for the sewage smell and this would be modified when next in dry dock.

The smell did not ruin our cruise ; but it was an issue of some discussion.

Not been on a tilting train so cannot offer a comparison - sorry.

And on a related issue, the Observation Lounge ( deck10) was free from tobacco smoke on all but one day of our cruise. Hooray:) Long may it remain so.

I was a little concerned when I first saw this thread. But it seems the wine choices have improved...? Am preparing for my first cruise experience at the end of the month on Quest (IST-ATH) with my mother and a cousin and I really want it to live up to the hype.

As an aside, I hope the sewage issue is resolved before then. :p

I have just read this entire thread with great interest because I thought the wine choice/quality on my cruise on the Odyssey last May was pretty poor. However, it didn't ruin my experience and I am now looking forward to my cruise on the Sojourn in July (Norwegian Fjords). I am planning to resolve the wine issue by bringing my own wine on board. Has anyone tried arranging a special purchase through Seabourn? I've asked them about this and am waiting for their response - I am curious what the pricing and surcharge will be.

The other option is to bring wine as checked-in luggage but as there are 13 of us, there would be a lot of bottles and I'm not sure if Danish customs will tax us when we enter through the airport. I've read somewhere that someone had shipped their own wine to the ship but this seems to be discouraged by Seabourn in one of the earlier posts. Btw, I think nothing wrong with being a wine snob - my liver deserves the best for its extra work.

The other option is to bring wine as checked-in luggage but as there are 13 of us, there would be a lot of bottles and I'm not sure if Danish customs will tax us when we enter through the airport. I've read somewhere that someone had shipped their own wine to the ship but this seems to be discouraged by Seabourn in one of the earlier posts. Btw, I think nothing wrong with being a wine snob - my liver deserves the best for its extra work.

Hi

You could try upon arrival CPH airport one of the shops, they usually have a selection of red, white and rosé BUT ! remember you are only allowed to bring into DK. 4. ltr. of wine pr. person.

Another chance is to visit the wine store in : Magasin.dk located very close to the inner harbour, in fact opposite to Nyhavn ( a lively place in central Copenhagen) try to contact them and ask for customer service, I believe they can help you and maybe even get a tax refund ?

T&T

T&T - many thanks for the tip on where to buy wine in Copenhagen. I checked out the magasin.dk website and the wine list looks decent and pricing fair at a glance. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to get a tax refund as the wines should be merrily consumed before we leave the EU but happy to pay the tax for the convenience. Hoping they give us a "tourist" discount as they seem to do with other products according to the site. Cheers! :cool:

T&T - many thanks for the tip on where to buy wine in Copenhagen. I checked out the magasin.dk website and the wine list looks decent and pricing fair at a glance. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to get a tax refund as the wines should be merrily consumed before we leave the EU but happy to pay the tax for the convenience. Hoping they give us a "tourist" discount as they seem to do with other products according to the site. Cheers! :cool:

You are most welcome, hope you enjoy.

SKÅL.

T&T

If you are joining Seabourn Pride in Copenhagen at Quay c 177 at Nordre Toldbod.

It is even more convenient for you to buy wine, since one of the best wine stores Loegismose.dk is actually located next door at the quay.

Enjoy:rolleyes::)

T&T

The quality and choice of included wine on both Seabourn and SS has continued to deteriorate over the past 18 months to both their usual standards.

Whilst some have been lucky to eventually recieve an up to date availability list after repeated requests, the vast majority are unsuccesfull or are politely refused.

Those that have sailed both lines for more than 5 years are very aware of the differences from past to present.

Whereby Sommelier's were plentyfull, available and experienced on board all cruises, alas this is no longer the case.

Whilst some here will say this is a part of post GFC cost cutting and both lines attempting to control budgets in difficult times.

The reality is, world wine prices have decreased by just under 24% over the past 3 years due to an international glut in production and new country's entering the market.

Therefore the quality of onboard wines should be increasing at the same time as saving the cruiselines bottom line.

This equals better for less.

But the reality onboard is not the case.

Even the house champaign's are not reflective of the lines usual standards.

It simply seems to me that they don't really care and are certainly not customer focused.

Which is such a pitty, because with the wine market as it is at the moment, for less budget than 5 years ago they could really be taking advantage in both choice and quality.

I do know they are getting the message though, because many of their loyal long term passengers are feedbacking just that.

We were on the April 6, 2012 sailing of the Sojourn. I found the wine selection to be very sporadic. The only common thread I could find was that the majority of wines that I immediately recognized were extremely cheap. For example, one of the staple vineyards they carried was Rosemount Estate from Australia. They had the shiraz, the cabernet and at least two other varietals from this vineyard. My local grocery store carries these wines for $7.99 a bottle and Costco sells them for $3.99 a bottle. I had never tried these wines in the past because they are so cheap, but I tried them on board. They were disgusting and not worth even $3.99 a bottle. I don't think that this is what many of the passengers had in mind when they booked a "luxury" cruise.

Its pretty unusual that I recognize the complimentary wines to know their price point. The exception is Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio. That has been on every Seabourn cruise I have taken. That wine is ubiquitous in grocery stores in the $18-$23 range. It often is on restaurant menus for $40 or so. I guess I assumed the others were in that range as well. I would agree, if they served something like Woodbridge or Turning Leap or Yellowtail Chardonnay, something I recognize in the $5 to $10 range, I would pass. I pass on most Chardonnays anyway. I guess I dont expect on an inclusive cruise for $400-$500/day pp, for them to be pouring $75 to $100 wines. They don't mark the wines up on the menu that much and I have found the wine packages a pretty good deal. You pay about $70 a bottle for wines that retail in that range. We enjoyed starting dinner off with a selected bottle. Deeper into dinner, I was less discriminating.

I guess I dont expect on an inclusive cruise for $400-$500/day pp, for them to be pouring $75 to $100 wines.

I agree that I don't expect them to be pouring $75 to $100 wines as their house wines. However, I recognized numerous wines in the $5-10 range. I didn't expect them to be so blatantly stingy. I expected them to pour wines in the $20-30 range.

Having reflected on the wine selection, I feel that they need to replace the wine buyer, or at least have a buyer exclusive to Seabourn. We cruise as a large extended family with all the grand kids on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Carnival because the kiddos like those god awful large ships with the water slides, etc. If anything, the wine list as a whole was more low brow on Seabourn than those three. This is shocking to me. I have nothing against inexpensive wines. In fact, my favorite favorite merchant in town is Bariques which stocks a wall of 100 wines under $10 that are all very drinkable to extremely delicious. The buyer at this store attends wine tastings all over the world to identify these incredible bargains. It is clear the buyer for Seabourn does not. Their cheap wines were undrinkable.

Of course the wine list on RCCL will offer higher quality wines than those provided on a complimentary basis on SB. You have to pay for those wines. Have you compared the quality of RCCL's list with the premium list on SB?

Yes I am comparing comparing Seabourn's complete list with Royal Caribbean's and Carnival's. Using Bordeaux / Cabernet Sauvignon as an example, Seabourn had a more limited selection and topped out with Opus One, a very nice wine. RCCL stocks many 1st growths (Petrus, Latour and Margaux as of last November) that cost much more than Opus One.

Yes I understand that you have to pay for the wine but complimentary wines that are not drinkable really have no value, and yes I've already admitted that only some of the house wines were undrinkable. The whites as a whole were better than the reds.

What's most puzzling to me is the discordance between the quality of the food and the quality of the house wines. Although not Michelin 3 star, the food aboard the Sojourn was consistently excellent. The wines offered often detracted from the high quality food. I often had to drink water or buy something else that was drinkable.

surprise!!! If people don't like the house wine .....wait for it .....drum roll please, they have to buy a more expensive wine and that way they keep the coffers topped up!!. So cynical of me. Having said that I drink what is on offer that is inclusive of the fare, there is always something that is drinkable (well better option than drinking nothing :D). Can't wait to sail again next March Singapore to Dubai on the Odyssey. Cheers !!

surprise!!! If people don't like the house wine .....wait for it .....drum roll please, they have to buy a more expensive wine and that way they keep the coffers topped up!!. So cynical of me. Having said that I drink what is on offer that is inclusive of the fare, there is always something that is drinkable (well better option than drinking nothing :D). Can't wait to sail again next March Singapore to Dubai on the Odyssey. Cheers !!

Instead of opening the wallet for a more expensive wine they could try pairing beer or hard alcohol with their meal, like say a steak and martini:D

I went on a galley tour with the head chef on the Sojourn. He would not directly comment on the quality of the wines, but did say that the final choice was not made by him. The wine buyer is ruining many of the dishes he prepares, his art is being wasted. If the head chef tasted each vintage and approved of the pairing with the meal he was preparing I would have nothing to say. I defer to his world class expertise. But this is clearly not the case.

If Seabourn wants to serve $5-10 house wines, that is fine. You can find some excellent wines in this price range as long as you are willing to spend some extra effort finding them. Seabourn does not seem to be making much of an effort.

This is what I wrote in August 2011 after two weeks on the Legend (in response to some of the chronic Seabourn wine appologists, who have a reflexive immune response to improvement sentiment, regardless of how constructive):

"There is a wine for everyone, and what may be satisfying to one will not be to another.

But to be clear, we look for wines that will enhance the pleasure of the food -- and the food is so good on Seabourn that having decent wine is a worthy objective -- the problem is that most of the wines available will detract not enhance the dining experience. Just a fact.

It takes skill to select wines at the $2 -4 a bottle retail price point that match well with the food served, and this is where the rub is. It is not impossible but pretty hard to do."

I went on a galley tour with the head chef on the Sojourn. He would not directly comment on the quality of the wines, but did say that the final choice was not made by him. The wine buyer is ruining many of the dishes he prepares, his art is being wasted. If the head chef tasted each vintage and approved of the pairing with the meal he was preparing I would have nothing to say. I defer to his world class expertise. But this is clearly not the case.

If Seabourn wants to serve $5-10 house wines, that is fine. You can find some excellent wines in this price range as long as you are willing to spend some extra effort finding them. Seabourn does not seem to be making much of an effort.

I cannot see Andrew Soddy, the Ececutive Chef making that kind of derogatory comment directly to a passenger...no way!!!! and not after being onboard here myself personally for a month. There is a wine for everyone on that Complimentary Wine List.

There is a wine for everyone on that Complimentary Wine List.

The problem is that you may only find one wine that is drinkable with the food on any given trip.

Seabourn is lagging behind on the inclusive luxury lines wine offerings.

Also the Sommeliers are not exactly well trained and knowledgeable compared to some other lines.

The problem is that you may only find one wine that is drinkable with the food on any given trip.

Also the Sommeliers are not exactly well trained and knowledgeable compared to some other lines.

I have to say on the Sojourn we have been very lucky, the Petit Chablis, The Winspan at first, then StoneCreek, Cotes du Rhone, Masi Aligheri etc.

The Sommeliers I can't comment on as I have used there services only once when I ordered a Barolo off the Revenu Wine List.

Three to arguably four "drinkable" recently on the Quest. Pleasantly surprised!

On separate thread ST reports NZ Stone Creek Sauv Blanc now on the Sojourn ( instead of Wingspan). Stone Creek retails approx £12 in the UK therefore should not be low price point gut rot. In fact tasting of 2011 SC reports - off dry, good nose, explosion in the mouth but somewhat disappointing short finish. Certainly worth a try.

Archived