Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

boyerd

I am a newbie to cruising,and find I am very confused about these drink packages and whether they will save me money in the long run. Not a big drinker but a good coffee or two a day would be nice. I won't say no to the odd cocktail and a couple of glasses of wine at night and maybe a sherry or brandy nightcap. I don't know the quality of the coffee that just gets served with meals, I'm all for free since I've paid my money for something! In wish there was a pack that included both non alcoholic and wine. As a light drinker is it just better to pay as I go. I never thought there was all these decisions, I was naive enough to think I paid my money for the cruise got on the boat. And enjoyed myself. Th e end! I live and learn. And I haven't even thought about shore excursions yet and only a week till I travel. Yikes.

I've highlighted one question above where you ask "As a light drinker is it just better to pay as I go"? My answer to that is YES!

The beverage packages are expensive as they're priced above the average passenger's normal beverage spending. So they are really designed for those who consume above average quantities of the included beverages or those willing to pay extra for an all inclusive beverage experience. I've always recommended that anyone unsure of the packages just take a pass on them and just pay for your drinks as you go.

This is especially true for a new cruiser who is not familiar with the no-extra charge beverages served on board as well as the costs and selection of extra charge beverages. For example you might get on board and decide you don't care for the small selection of wines served by the glass and decide you'd rather choose from the much larger bottled selection which is not included in the packages. Unlike a regular restaurant, on a cruise you don't have to finish the bottle in one sitting as they'll cork it and bring it out the next evening for you. Also, while some, including me, dislike the no-extra charge coffee there are many who find it suits them and never buy the extra cost espresso coffee on board.

I'll also point out that if, once on board, you decide you'd really like a beverage package that you con purchase it on board at a prorated price for the remainder of the cruise. However it will now cost you a bit more to purchase on board as Celebrity increased the on-board cost a few dollars a day over the advance purchase cost. For more info click here

Edited by Lsimon

This is the fourth time that Celebrity has had a similar promotion. The first two times it was called the 1-2-3 Go Promo and it was valid on all cruises that embarked through March 31, 2014. The third time it was the first round of Pick Your Perk and it went through April 30, 2014 and it expanded to include the Choice Air as one of the perks. The new Pick Your Perk round two goes through the end of 2014.

We booked our upcoming Summit cruise during round one and our Silhouette cruise during round two, both times predicated on the fact that the Classic Beverage package is included, which adds tremendous value to the cruise. When this is combined with reasonable rates, it was a very easy decision.

I booked a cruise for 15 nights March 7, 2014 to Hawaii and picked the Classic Beverage package on the 1-2-3 Promo because this would help financially, not that my mother or I are heavy drinkers, just keep the coffee coming. Received an email from Celebrity stating there was going to be a schedule change due a to itinerary change. We had the. Option to get a refund or reschedule our cruise on certain dates.

We decided to go to Hawaii on Oct 6, 2013 and they slid everything over, the beverage package, OBC with no financial change even tho the rates were different. The problem came when I developed double pneumonia sept. 4. Spent 2 weeks in the hospital and there was no way I would be able to go Oct. 6. We hated to cancel altogether, we had travel insurance, so we decided to book the Nov. 6, 2013 cruise. That's when I lost the OBC, and the beverage package.

My personal cruise counselor from X checked with the Resolution Department and they said they couldn't help me but I still had our OBC so that should make me feel better. I checked with Cruise Enhancement to see if they could do anything. Was told there was nothing she could do and said I did not have my OBC anymore. Has anyone had this situation? If so, how did it turn out.

Susie

• 2 months later...

I got an email from an online TA showing free drink package and gratuities paid (OBC). We had been looking for a cruise over our spring break but the return flights on the weekend were so outrageous we couldn't justify it.

SO up pops this Constellation cruise for 5 days--flights much cheaper home on Thursday! (tho still not cheap!)

As with the OP we enjoy cocktails throughout the day, I do enjoy my foo foo coffees. DH enjoys his pina coladas & I my martinis, which add up QUICK. Plus there is no need for me to bring wine or other liquors onboard.

We did upgrade to Premium for the simplicity.

Drinks were always the largest part of our bill--we are definitely going to enjoy the very low final bill this time!

Thanks for all the replies in regards to upgrading just myself for the premium drink package. I will be calling the cruise enhancement line for sure! Strange that I was mis-informed from our TA.

I just came back to this page and saw all the replies. I have to keep up better :)

If you have the drinks package can you ask the sommelier to suggest and serve appropriate wines with each course at dinner? Is there enough choice? Is there always a sommelier in every restaurant? Will they arrive at the right time? What is the measure? (In UK 175ml is standard)

Edited by Number34

Yes, your sommelier will tailor your wine to your meal choices, preferences, and package level. In my experience, they do a fantastic job. By the second night, things will appear without even asking. We sit, sparkling wine appears, then matched wines with mains. I have never felt once that they were holding back because we were on a package.

I would never cruise without a drink package on X.

I am not very familiar with Celebrity's prices / selections:

Are there enough choices of less expensive wines and mixed drinks to pick from with the Classic beverage package?

I really would prefer not to purchase the Premium package if I can enjoy a couple glasses of Zinfandel or Chianti wine with dinner - - and a Pina Colada or two at the pool - - and of course a specialty coffee (Mocha Cappuccino) in the morning.

Thank you for your input - - and safe travels to all!

I am not very familiar with Celebrity's prices / selections:

Are there enough choices of less expensive wines and mixed drinks to pick from with the Classic beverage package?

I really would prefer not to purchase the Premium package if I can enjoy a couple glasses of Zinfandel or Chianti wine with dinner - - and a Pina Colada or two at the pool - - and of course a specialty coffee (Mocha Cappuccino) in the morning.

Thank you for your input - - and safe travels to all!

If your heart is really set on enjoying some Chianti with your dinner, you may have to upgrade to the Premium. I saw a listing on these boards for a Norelle Chianti that was 8.50 per glass in 2012 and may have gone up since then. Beringer White Zin was 5.50 and basic frozen drinks including Pina Coladas are under the 8.00 ceiling. The Mocha Cap is covered under the classic as well. In case you didn't know, if you only have the clasic and your drink is over the 6.00 limit for beer or the 8.00 limit for wine and mixed drinks, then you're charged the entire amount. But if you have the Premium and you pick any drink in all 3 categories over the 13.00 limit, you're only charged the difference, plus 15% gratuity.

Thank you very much for the info, SNJCruisers.

I was hoping to save some money and get the classic package.

Now the questions is: do I really want Chianti - - or would I rather take an extra excursion or two?

Hmmmm!:)

Thank you very much for the info, SNJCruisers.

I was hoping to save some money and get the classic package.

Now the questions is: do I really want Chianti - - or would I rather take an extra excursion or two?

Hmmmm!:)

You can buy the the upgrade with 4 or more days left in your cruise...so if you're on a 7 day cruise, you can stick with the classic for the first 3 days and then upgrade for the last 4, so the upgrade will only cost you 46 bucks. You'll also be able to splurge on the martinis at the Martini Bar and if you're on an S class ship, the drinks at the Molecular Bar, which are all covered under the premium 13.00 limit.

I hate stupid questions and I'm sure it's been addressed but here we go.

I was under the impression that the premium drink package had to be purchased for each person in the stateroom. When I went on X's web site it gave me a price for DW, alone. Since I only do 2 drinks a day, no wine or speciality coffees the soft drinks would be good for me and premium hard drink for DW.

Does anyone know if we can mix the drink packages or is this yet another screw-up with X's website?

I hate stupid questions and I'm sure it's been addressed but here we go.

I was under the impression that the premium drink package had to be purchased for each person in the stateroom. When I went on X's web site it gave me a price for DW, alone. Since I only do 2 drinks a day, no wine or speciality coffees the soft drinks would be good for me and premium hard drink for DW.

Does anyone know if we can mix the drink packages or is this yet another screw-up with X's website?

The only time X makes both parties get the package is if it's being given away for free as a promo. If you're buying it, you can just buy for your wife

We are getting the classic drink package. How much per drink are we allowed. I like the frozen drinks like a pina colada - mud slide - etc.
Beer up to 6.00 and wine & mixed drinks up to 8.00. Frozen drinks made with basic bar brands such as Absolute vodka or Bacardi rum are covered with the classic.

I have a gluten intolerance, so I was wondering if X has hard ciders on board, and if it would fall under the price cap of the classic package? Does anyone know? Thanks. :)
Strongbow is available and it does fall under the price cap. If your ship has a Micheal's Pub, they may also have additional choices as well such as Woodchuck Pear.

If I buy the premium pkg online for $64 per day. will they still tack on an extra $7.00 for gratuity or is that included in the $64? Can't get a straight answer to this question!

The advance purchase price for the premium drink package is $54 per day + 15% gratuity for a total of $62.10 per day.

Fine print and details can be found here on the X site:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic&ComponentTypeId=30&categoryId=&currencyCode=USD

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Edited by bhughey

If I buy the premium pkg online for $64 per day. will they still tack on an extra $7.00 for gratuity or is that included in the $64? Can't get a straight answer to this question!

On Celebrity, I do believe that they do add on the 15% gratuity to the cost of the drink package. <Sigh> Still trying to figure out how to get the free drink package - but I think I will buy it - my rationale is that it will make it like an "all inclusive" cruise, and I will enjoy it more if I don't have to worry about paying for every single water, coffee, beer, etc.

I have a gluten intolerance, so I was wondering if X has hard ciders on board, and if it would fall under the price cap of the classic package? Does anyone know? Thanks. :)

We just did a lot of research about gluten and the various drinks Celebrity serves including the various drinks of the day and Molecular Bar. If you private message me I can share. We just looked at some of the recent photos of the menus and then researched the brand online.