Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

boyerd

Having paid for everything directly with Celebrity prior to boarding, not having premium package indicated on our card was the reason we went to customer service. For them to just take my word for having paid and not checking, well don't really think that's the case. I consider myself very lucky and no, do not free one bit guilty and yes, said a big Thank You to all the wonderful staff;)

In my case the package charge was in the total I paid Celebrity with my final payment. So if you do not think that they took your word that you paid perhaps you paid it with you final payment and did not realize it.

I just wanted to share what I witnessed while sailing on the Millennium a few weeks ago in regards to the Drink Package. DH and I were sitting at the Martini Bar (where you could normally find us before and/or after dinner :). While we were there, a couple came up and wanted a martini but had only the Classic Alcoholic Beverage Package. The head bartender told them that he could not make one for them because they did not qualify with the package. The couple then proceeded to argue and started getting very loud saying that they had other bars make them 'smaller' martinis and that it could be done....the bartender finally said - ok, I will make you these drinks this one time. The couple got their drinks and left the bar. We then talked to the bartender afterwards and he said that this is a problem with the packages. He said that at the martini bar they only use premium alcohol and at the other bars, they can use less quality alcohol and get away with it but that he wasn't supposed to do it. After we talked he then had to call his supervisor to come over and tell him what had happened in case the couple complained. I felt pretty bad for the bartender...but definitely a heads up for those wanting the martinis at the martini bar without having the premium package. If you want a martini....just purchase the premium.

Sorry ahead of time if these questions were already answered but I need to make a decision pretty quick so any answers will be great.

There is a deal for Celebrity that automatically includes the Standard Beverage package. I think its a great deal but I have some questions.

The spirits are valued at 8$, but I like to drink Dirty Matinis and have never had one that was 8$, even with cheap alcohol. Are Martinis an option under this plan?

How do you tip on the drinks if there is no slip to sign etc?

Does anyone know if there is an option of paying the difference (minues the 8$) for a higher price drink?

Are you able to order these drinks in the specialty restaurants? How about the Main Dining room, bars, pool side etc?

I'm wondering if I can asked to pay the difference to upgrade to the premium package, it looks like 10$ more per day per person.

Thanks for your help

J

Sorry ahead of time if these questions were already answered but I need to make a decision pretty quick so any answers will be great.

There is a deal for Celebrity that automatically includes the Standard Beverage package. I think its a great deal but I have some questions.

The spirits are valued at 8$, but I like to drink Dirty Matinis and have never had one that was 8$, even with cheap alcohol. Are Martinis an option under this plan?

Does anyone know if there is an option of paying the difference (minues the 8$) for a higher price drink?

Are you able to order these drinks in the specialty restaurants? How about the Main Dining room, bars, pool side etc?

I'm wondering if I can asked to pay the difference to upgrade to the premium package, it looks like 10$ more per day per person.

Thanks for your help

J

You might be able to get a dirty martini, but possibly not at the martini bar, and it will be made with either bar well quality or standard quality vodka or gin in a small martini glass. The nice quality martinis served at the martini bar are in larger glasses, have premium top shelf spirits and are priced at $10 which is above the classic package limit.

Note that with the classic package you are still entitled to certain call brands but not the top shelf brands. If you'd like you can specify brands such as Absolut Vodka as opposed to the bar well vodka. Ask the bartender what is included for you.

The package includes gratuities. If you buy it then you pay a 15% add on at the time of purchase for gratuities. If you want to leave an extra gratuity for extra nice service you can give cash or ask for a slip to sign for this purpose and they'll be glad to help you. Otherwise you don't even get a bill or slip with the package.

You can order drinks in any dining area and at any bar that serves drinks within the package limits. The only two bars you might have an issue at is the Molecular Bar (S class only) which has special cocktails that are all over the $8 limit and the martini bar where they serve larger martinis made with top shelf spirits for $10. You can get other drinks at the martini bar and sometimes, but not always, they'll make you a smaller martini with the spirits available under the classic package like they will at other bars on the ship. You'll have no issues at other bars including the pool bars. The only place the packages are not good is room service, cabin mini bar and the enomatic wine dispensers at the Cellar Masters wine bar (but you can get wine by the glass from a limited menu from the waiter there).

You can not get a drink over the package limit of $8 and pay the difference but you can still pay the entire drink price for any drink. Yes you can upgrade to the premium package by paying the package difference of $10 per person per night (plus a 15% gratuity for a total of $11.50/pp/night) for all the remaining nights of the cruise after you upgrade - although you might not be able to do this the last couple days of the cruise so ask for the deadline on board if you are interested. Also, if you have the premium package then you can order a drink above the premium package limit of $12 and just pay the difference - this is a perk of the premium package.

Edited by Lsimon

You might be able to get a dirty martini, but possibly not at the martini bar, and it will be made with either bar well quality or standard quality vodka or gin in a small martini glass. The nice quality martinis served at the martini bar are in larger glasses, have premium top shelf spirits and are priced at $10 which is above the classic package limit.

Note that with the classic package you are still entitled to certain call brands but not the top shelf brands. If you'd like you can specify brands such as Absolut Vodka as opposed to the bar well vodka. Ask the bartender what is included for you.

The package includes gratuities. If you buy it then you pay a 15% add on at the time of purchase for gratuities. If you want to leave an extra gratuity for extra nice service you can give cash or ask for a slip to sign for this purpose and they'll be glad to help you. Otherwise you don't even get a bill or slip with the package.

You can order drinks in any dining area and at any bar that serves drinks within the package limits. The only two bars you might have an issue at is the Molecular Bar (S class only) which has special cocktails that are all over the $8 limit and the martini bar where they serve larger martinis made with top shelf spirits for $10. You can get other drinks at the martini bar and sometimes, but not always, they'll make you a smaller martini with the spirits available under the classic package like they will at other bars on the ship. You'll have no issues at other bars including the pool bars. The only place the packages are not good is room service, cabin mini bar and the enomatic wine dispensers at the Cellar Masters wine bar (but you can get wine by the glass from a limited menu from the waiter there).

You can not get a drink over the package limit of $8 and pay the difference but you can still pay the entire drink price for any drink. Yes you can upgrade to the premium package by paying the package difference of $10 per person per night (plus a 15% gratuity for a total of $11.50/pp/night) for all the remaining nights of the cruise after you upgrade - although you might not be able to do this the last couple days of the cruise so ask for the deadline on board if you are interested. Also, if you have the premium package then you can order a drink above the premium package limit of $12 and just pay the difference - this is a perk of the premium package.

Great! Thanks for the info. We decided to upgrade to the premium. Seems like a great deal!

Thanks for your help

J

My wife and I both drink Vodka Dirty Martini's. They made them with Three Olives, Absolute or Kettle one Vodka. Grey Goose would be Included in the Premium package. If you drink Gin Martini's they would make it with Tanqueray. Bombay Sapphire would be the Premium package. We were able to get them at the Martini bar as well.

I reread many of the posts in this thread but I'm still a little unclear on the mechanics of using our Classic Beverage Package that we got as part of X's recent promo. Even though we were just aboard Silhouette two months ago, we never went to a bar onboard, went to the specialty coffee shop, and only once ordered a glass of wine at dinner, so we're newbies using this beverage package thing! :rolleyes: :)

1. To get fresh squeezed orange juice in the Lido, do we get that at the bar area in the Lido? Do they serve specialty coffee beverages in the Lido bar or are they only available at Bacio's? I'd love to have my cappuccino with breakfast! :p

2. Can you get bottled water at any bar or service location?

3. Can you order more than one beverage per card at a time?

4. I understand there will not be a slip to sign?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks in advance for any clarification! :)

Edited by Terpnut

1. To get fresh squeezed orange juice in the Lido, do we get that at the bar area in the Lido? Do they serve specialty coffee beverages in the Lido bar or are they only available at Bacio's? I'd love to have my cappuccino with breakfast! :p

Yes...you can get freshly squeeze OJ at the bar at the buffet.

On the Reflection at least, Il Secondo Bacio is also located at the same bar and you can get your cappuccino there as well...

2. Can you get bottled water at any bar or service location?

Yup...

I don't believe so...

4. I understand there will not be a slip to sign?

Yes, nothing to sign if the drink you ordered is included in your package (i.e. under the price limit of your package)

Edited by ipoh
typo

As an FYI, with bottled water, I know they looked at our card, and when they saw we were premium they gave us the Evian and then for classic people they got the basic water (a name I don't remember). I actually started ordering the cheaper stuff though as the Evian tasted to soft for my liking.

As an FYI, with bottled water, I know they looked at our card, and when they saw we were premium they gave us the Evian and then for classic people they got the basic water (a name I don't remember). I actually started ordering the cheaper stuff though as the Evian tasted to soft for my liking.

The "basic bottled water" is Geyser Springs...

The general policy is no, however some waiters will allow you to obtain two beverages that "go together" during a meal such as bottled water and wine during a meal or orange juice and coffee at breakfast. The reason for the policy is to prevent sharing and some waiters will waive that when it is obvious that sharing isn't the intention while other waiters will hold fast to the policy. Ask nicely.

Geyser springs is used as the "non-premium" bottled water on some cruises but the actual brand can vary depending on the location of the cruise ship and local availability.

Edited by Lsimon

So we have the classic package and from what im reading I wont be able to order a beer for me and a mixed drink or glass of wine for my wife at the same time? That seems dam inconvenient!

Sure you can . . . just show BOTH cards! :rolleyes:

So we have the classic package and from what im reading I wont be able to order a beer for me and a mixed drink or glass of wine for my wife at the same time? That seems dam inconvenient!

You and your wife will both have ship cards so you will both be able to order a drink to your liking.

The one drink at a time provision just applies to a single package holder and it is in place to prevent the sharing of packages. Since the packages are unlimited and priced "per person" you are not allowed to purchase drinks, or share, with another person.

But if you and your wife both have packages then you can order a drink for each of you by showing both cards. If your wife is not with you and you're getting a drink to take back to her then you'll need to bring her card with you and show both cards to the waiter to get two drinks at once.

If for some reason you want to get a drink for a person who does not have a package then you just tell that to the waiter and they'll charge your ship board account for the price of the single drink.

Thanks for replies I will be sure to carry both cards! Any comment on the classic package as compared to premium package woul be appreciated! Beer and a glass of Chardonnay for me and a mango daiquiri and Chardonnay for my wife

Thanks for replies I will be sure to carry both cards! Any comment on the classic package as compared to premium package woul be appreciated! Beer and a glass of Chardonnay for me and a mango daiquiri and Chardonnay for my wife

The three different drinks you mentioned are all covered under the Classic package, but the mango daiquri would be made with bar branded rum or you could specify Bacardi. With regards to Chardonnay's by the glass, this is rather subjective. There are only 3 from a list posted on these boards that was from 2012. Celebrity's own Cellar Master @ 8.50 would qualify under the Premium package, one from the St Francis vineyards in Sonoma CA would qualify under the Classic @ 6.50 and the third option was from the Napa valley, Grgich Hills @ 16.00. If you have the Classic, you get a 25% discount on bottles and if you have the Premium, the discount is 30%. In addition, if you have the Classic and you choose a beer over 500 or a wine or alcohol over 800, then you pay the entire amount. If you have the premium and you choose either a beer, wine or alcohol over 1200, like the Grgich Hills wine, then you would only pay the 400 difference, plus 0.60 gratuity.

With regards to beer, the Classic will cover up to 500, which includes most domestics and basic imports like Heineken, Heineken Light, Corona, Corona Light, Becks, Amstel Light, Dos Equis, and Red Stripe. Depending upon which ship you're on will determine the amount of craft beers that will be available at Michael's Club, but about 3/4 of them will be covered under the premium package and the other 13 or so will cost you a bit more even with the Premium package.

From your generic requirement for yourself and your wife, the Classic package will more than likely suffice. But you can upgrade to the premium package for an additional 11.50 per day including tip at anytime during your cruise with up to 3 days left and it will be prorated. So the two of you could splurge over the final 3 days and it will only set you back 69.00.

Thanks for the reply SNJCruisers with such detail! I hope they will make the Mango daiquires for my wife. She doesn't like much alcohol in them so that won't be the problem! We are sailing the Summit Feb/01/14!

Since so many cruisers seem to want to figure out if the packages are worth it to them I've taken the original spreadsheet and cleaned it up a bit. This new-and-improved document is updated with menu items that are as current and price-accurate as possible. You'll also find a column that shows money you'd spend over and above the Premium package tallied for you.

No sign-in is required. The document is read-only but you can click "File" and "Make a Copy" (to save it to Google Drive) or "Import" (to save it to your computer) and fill in your own values.

Happy drinking!

I finally found the original online program posted by poolboyclay in 2010.

You can download and save your own excel file.

Beverage package evaluator Updated version 1.4

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FL2DXCF6

online version in Google https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...4T2Vocnc&hl=en

Edited by notsomadhatter