VT balcony on the Eurodam

cruz chic

Has anyone ever stayed in one of these rooms? I got assigned this when booking a VH guarantee. I'm just wondering if I'll actually be able to sit out there. I'm thinking I should have stayed with the oceanview room that I originally booked.

lorekauf, the only photos I have are for VT 11008 and there is absolutely no room for a chair. It appears it is standing room only for 1 person. Try to get 2 on that little Julliet balcony and ya mights just knock the other person overboard:eek: I know I'm exaggerating but....

sm-VT-11008-Spa-Stateroom-3.jpg--sm-VT-11008-Spa-Stateroom-9.jpg

Joanie

Thanks for the pic Joanie. I was afraid of that. The whole reason I upgraded to a balcony was so I could sit out there. It was not cheap. I would have been happy with a VH. I'm very disappointed that HAL would call that a balcony!

I know:( I am pretty sure that is why they made the change with the Nieuw Amsterdam and made the same category large enough for a chair and small table.

i am so sorry that you won;t be able to sit, but think of the beautiful view:)

Joanie

It's outrageous that HAL considers these VT cabins as an upgrade from other cabins with a full balcony. At the very least they should be considered the lowest of the balcony cabins.

Perhaps your TA can contact HAL to see about a reassignment?

I once booked a guarantee on the Noordam, as there were no cabins in my category in an acceptable location. I was trying to improve my chances for an upgrade to a better area. When the assignment came, it was not an upgrade, and was in a terrible location for me. The walking would have practically killed me. My TA was able to get me moved to a better location just aft of the forward elevators.

By the end of the cruise I was still in agony, but at least that held out until the last two days!

Good luck.

It's outrageous that HAL considers these VT cabins as an upgrade from other cabins with a full balcony. At the very least they should be considered the lowest of the balcony cabins.

Perhaps your TA can contact HAL to see about a reassignment?

I once booked a guarantee on the Noordam, as there were no cabins in my category in an acceptable location. I was trying to improve my chances for an upgrade to a better area. When the assignment came, it was not an upgrade, and was in a terrible location for me. The walking would have practically killed me. My TA was able to get me moved to a better location just aft of the forward elevators.

By the end of the cruise I was still in agony, but at least that held out until the last two days!

Good luck.

I have sent an email to HAL to express my displeasure with this cabin. I had no idea that this was going to be the room I would possibly get. On the HAL website it appears that a VT is a lower level then a VH. My TA mentioned to me that it would be possible to get a VH when I paid the large amount to upgrade. I was totally fine with one of those cabins as it's important to me to be able to sit outside. My TA is off until Wednesday so I'm expecting zero to happen. HAL should show these cabins as oceanviews. If I rec'd this cabin as an oceanview I'd be over the moon happy. This is not a balcony to me.

I know:( I am pretty sure that is why they made the change with the Nieuw Amsterdam and made the same category large enough for a chair and small table.

i am so sorry that you won;t be able to sit, but think of the beautiful view:)

Joanie

I'm trying to see the positive side of this but right now I'm very disappointed and upset with HAL. I was so excited to go on this cruise and this has taken the wind out of my sails. I know it's not a huge big deal but it was important to me.

I'm trying to see the positive side of this but right now I'm very disappointed and upset with HAL. I was so excited to go on this cruise and this has taken the wind out of my sails. I know it's not a huge big deal but it was important to me.

WRONG!! This would have me fuming as well!! It is a BIG deal to go from a stateroom with a verandah that you can sit and relaz on to one that you can barely stand on!!!

I'm with you and RuthC!! THIS IS NOT AN UPGRADE!!! And I do not apologize for yelling:)

Is there any way that you can call HAL and discuss it with them?? I know that you went through your TA, but since she is gone for an extended weekend and you only have 15 days, possibly HAL will help and talk to you????

Joanie

WRONG!! This would have me fuming as well!! It is a BIG deal to go from a stateroom with a verandah that you can sit and relaz on to one that you can barely stand on!!!

I'm with you and RuthC!! THIS IS NOT AN UPGRADE!!! And I do not apologize for yelling:)

Is there any way that you can call HAL and discuss it with them?? I know that you went through your TA, but since she is gone for an extended weekend and you only have 15 days, possibly HAL will help and talk to you????

Joanie

I may try that on Tuesday. I've sent an email to HAL but who knows if they will even acknowledge it. This has been a huge lesson for me. I found out completely by accident that this was considered a better room then a VH. HAL should make this more clear on their website. It's like booking an SC room and ending up with an SZ. That doesn't make sense. I wonder if HAL will be open tomorrow since it's a holiday. Thanks for your support Joanie and everyone else that has shown support. I really appreciate it. If someone learns from my experience at least it won't be for nothing.

I may try that on Tuesday. I've sent an email to HAL but who knows if they will even acknowledge it. This has been a huge lesson for me. I found out completely by accident that this was considered a better room then a VH. HAL should make this more clear on their website. It's like booking an SC room and ending up with an SZ. That doesn't make sense. I wonder if HAL will be open tomorrow since it's a holiday. Thanks for your support Joanie and everyone else that has shown support. I really appreciate it. If someone learns from my experience at least it won't be for nothing.

This is a HUGE lesson for me too. I'll be VERY reluctant to book a gty verandah on the Eurodam. Sorry you are going through this.

My HAL PCC's auto-reply says he is out of the office until Tues, so probably the phone people work but who knows if there are any decision makers available on Monday.

Lorekauf,

I'm so sorry you got a disappointing cabin assignment. I know to some the cabin is just a place to sleep and shower but it's important to me. I don't understand how VT can be considered a better cabin than VH. I thought the rankings went alphabetically, VA, VB, VC etc? If it's considered a better cabin than a VH shouldn't it be listed as a VG (for example).

I'm concerned now because we also have a VH guarantee for an upcoming cruise on the Eurodam in December and I thought that meant the lowest category I could get was a VH (that has a full balcony). We have booked a retreat cabana, so I guess if we get a VT we will at least have a nice place nearby to go to and sit, but I'm still hoping for a balcony I can sit on and watch the world go by! I may have to rethink my cabin choice.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will be able to work something out with HAL when your TA returns and that you end up in a cabin you are happy with. I hope you will let us know the outcome of your situation.

Kathy (macky2)

Lorekauf,

I'm so sorry you got a disappointing cabin assignment. I know to some the cabin is just a place to sleep and shower but it's important to me. I don't understand how VT can be considered a better cabin than VH. I thought the rankings went alphabetically, VA, VB, VC etc? If it's considered a better cabin than a VH shouldn't it be listed as a VG (for example).

I'm concerned now because we also have a VH guarantee for an upcoming cruise on the Eurodam in December and I thought that meant the lowest category I could get was a VH (that has a full balcony). We have booked a retreat cabana, so I guess if we get a VT we will at least have a nice place nearby to go to and sit, but I'm still hoping for a balcony I can sit on and watch the world go by! I may have to rethink my cabin choice.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will be able to work something out with HAL when your TA returns and that you end up in a cabin you are happy with. I hope you will let us know the outcome of your situation.

Kathy (macky2)

I was under the same impression as you. I thought a VH would be the worst case. It sounded like my TA thought the same thing. HAL should IMO make this more clear on their website. I have about 25 cruises under my belt but this is only my third balcony so it's a big deal for me. I will come back an update everyone if there are any changes. Thanks for you support:).

I guess you got your assignment...:confused: Our relatives were hoping that they wouldn't get one of those for their first ever cruise next week on Eurodam, luckily they didn't, but they were also aware that it was possible they could. I would have to agree though, there is now way this should be a high category balcony. We sat with some folks who got one of these in 2009 when we were on the Eurodam and they had nothing but bad to say. You would think HAL would keep these aside for people who either book these specifically or use them as a cabin to upgrade people who book an oceanview, they really aren't acceptable as a verandah. I hope you get it resolved, but I am sure they will just say 'well that's the chance you take with a Gty.'

I hope you get it resolved, but I am sure they will just say 'well that's the chance you take with a Gty.'

That's what I fully expect to hear and I do understand that. I just don't understand how that could be an "upgrade". This has been an expensive lesson for me so I'm not bound to forget it. I haven't been very pleased with HAL over a number of things lately and I think it's best for me to not cruise with them for a while. I've got one more cruise booked with them nest year and I'm cruising with others so not easy to cancel. I also have several FCC's and I hate to flush money down the drain. I hope this is going to be a better outcome then it appears to be now.

I loved the VT on Eurodam! Great location, truly the penthouse on the ship. Right next to the Crows Nest and a very quiet location. Beautiful green color scheme. I would be happy to have that cabin.

I googled VT cabins last night and I did see your comment that you enjoyed it. Others have made the same comment. I'm not concerned at all about the cabin. It looks great. Since I've had so few balconies in all my cruises it is HUGE for me to have a balcony I can sit on. I'm sure I'll totally love the room. It's just hard to me to get past not having the balcony that I paid dearly to upgrade to.

Thanks to everyone for their support. After several people urging me to call HAL I did:). I expected them to do zero. I got connected with a gentleman that immediately called his supervisor. My temper gets the better of me at times but I did keep it in check. He called ships inventory and I was able to get a VERY nice cabin. It's under the Lido pool so it could be a bit noisy but at this point I really don't care. I've got a REAL balcony:D. I'm VERY impressed with HAL and this customers service rep. I really didn't think they would talk to me since I have a TA but the HAL service rep was amazing! Thanks again everyone!

Thanks to everyone for their support. After several people urging me to call HAL I did:). I expected them to do zero. I got connected with a gentleman that immediately called his supervisor. My temper gets the better of me at times but I did keep it in check. He called ships inventory and I was able to get a VERY nice cabin. It's under the Lido pool so it could be a bit noisy but at this point I really don't care. I've got a REAL balcony:D. I'm VERY impressed with HAL and this customers service rep. I really didn't think they would talk to me since I have a TA but the HAL service rep was amazing! Thanks again everyone!

Absolutely Freak ing AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Spaced because CC does not like it when that word is put together correctly:confused:)

I am so happy for you lorekauf!!

Nothing more to add but Have a wonderful cruise!! And WTG!!!!

Joanie

Thanks to everyone for their support....... He called ships inventory and I was able to get a VERY nice cabin........ I'm VERY impressed with HAL and this customers service rep. I really didn't think they would talk to me since I have a TA but the HAL service rep was amazing! Thanks again everyone!

That's great to hear. I would probably not have called HAL directly thinking that they wouldn't talk to me if I had booked with a TA. But this just shows us that it can't hurt to ask.

So, enjoy your cruise and your veranda.

Glad it all worked out for you, Lore. If you pay for a balcony, -dam it, you should get a balcony.

I wonder if HAL has had other requests to be moved out of the VT cabins, and that's why it was not a problem for them to work with you directly? They may realize how unhappy some people would be to get that assignment.

Thanks everyone:). Ruth, you raise an interesting question. I can't imagine a lot of people liking that cabin unless it was uber cheap or an upgrade from an oceanview. It was also suggested (on another thread) that this cabin should be priced like the lanai cabins on the smaller ships. That makes sense. To call that a balcony is just wrong IMO.

Archived