southampton hotels

BZEKE

A friend who cruises a lot uses holiday inn or the IBIS said both okay for a night

Agree about the Holiday Inn. It's not exactly stellar, but fine for the night and good views over Southampton Water and the passing shipping. Also a short walk to the Town Quay if you fancy a trip over to Hythe Pier.

J

I usually stop in the Ibis which is close to the coach station and a short taxi ride (15 minutes or so depending on traffic) to the dock. As has been said it's ok for 1 night, clean and comfortable. Food is available and there is a bar. The breakfast is quite expensive for what you get, so I usually go to ASDA for a cooked breakfast.

I stayed at the Jury's Inn last January and it was more than adequate. The price was very reasonable, and the breakfast buffet quite nice. In 2008 I stayed at the Novotel; it too was fine. It was more expensive than Jury's though, but, if the price is right, I would have no qualms staying there again.

In 2009, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker in Southampton. A taxi to the Princess dock was 5-7 GBP and a taxi from the National Express Coach Station would be able the same. It was walking distance to the shopping mall, pub and restaurant. You might be able to have a room with a view of the water.

A new hotel the Premier Inn West Quay http://www.premierinn.com recently opened up. We have decided to try this hotel for August 2012. Someone that has just returned from the August British Isles cruise, stayed at the Premier Inn West Quay and gave it high marks. It looks like it is very close to the shopping mall and the National Express Coach Station.

Check out http://www.booking.com for a list of the hotels in Southampton. Booking.com is part of Priceline. Priceline you bid for hotels/flights/cars and Booking.com, they set the price and the price is usually lower than the hotel's site.

I booked Premier Inn West Quay direct with the hotel and included their breakfast plan (7.99/pp per night). They also have a Meal Plan (breakfast & dinner) for 22 GBP/pp per night.

We stayed at a Premier Inn while cruising out of Dover in 2010.

If you are taking a taxi to the port the next day, ask the hotel to prebook a taxi for you.

Another option is the White Star - a 5* gastro pub with rooms in the old part of Southampton and located not far from all the dock entrances. Stayed there a couple of weeks ago (in the Titanic Room!!!) - very comfortable and the food is excellent.

http://www.whitestartavern.co.uk/

Ken

We made reservations there for next Summer. Looks like a great place to relax and spend a day after Paris and before our cruise. Good to see your recommendation.

I know this is always being asked but I can not find the threads. Which hotels are a taxi ride to the pier? Also easy to get to from where the national coach drops you off.

Thanks Bob

We stayed at the Novotel and were quite pleased. You could actually walk there from the National Express terminal (if you don't have too much luggage to lug);). It doesn't have AC in the rooms, though--just in the public areas.

Archived