on board medical charges

hmer23

We are due to go on a cruise shortly but I had to undergo an emergency surgical procedure which will still require dressings to be changed daily when we cruise (for a few months probably!). I've been in touch with Royal Caribbean Special Services and they have confirmed they are able to do this for me in the medical centre for a fee. Does anyone know where I can find their scale of charges?

Thanks for your help

The fee could be high, however, also check with your medical insurance provider. If the doctor requires it to be changed by a licensed health care provider your insurance may cover any expense or at least part of it.

Absolutely check with your insurance provider. Services outside the US (including on a non-US flagged cruise ship) in many cases ARE NOT covered by typical insurance. Did you purchase travel insurance when you booked your cruise? If so, you may have coverage through that.

When I've visited the ships' infirmaries, the pricing has been equivalent to what a US provider can charge Medicare but it's been a couple of years since I've pulled a stupid stunt (knock on wood) so can't verify the current charges. Typically there is a fee just to see the doctor or nurse (I think it used to be around $75) plus a fee for any treatments, medicines, supplies used.

Unless you have RCCL's insurance, they require payment upfront (put on your onboard account) and then you have to file with your insurance. They should give you a copy of a detailed form to submit to your insurance once you get home. Make sure to not leave the infirmary without this form being filled out appropriately. Definitely check with your medical insurance to make sure they will cover you in this situation and your travel insurance provider.

Hi, I believe that wrp is correct.

I do not know what they charge now, but we used the medical facility twice on previous cruises.

Once it was for motion sickness ( I think it was in 2003)- wait in line with many others, very quick visit with the doctor ( maybe a minute at the most) and medicine injection done by the nurse. The cost was close to 100 dol ( do not remember the exact cost) that went on the cruise account.

The next visit was few years later on a different ship ( the same line) - I think in 2007 or 2008.

Doctor diagnosed the sickness as gastritis, an IV with different medications was attached and about 4 hour stay in the medical facility was required. Cost close to $1000 that went on cruise account.

Many if not most insurance companies don't pay for daily dressing changes and require the patient or patient's family (if the dressing is in an out of the way place) to change it. You should check with your specific insurance to see if they will pay for this while on the ship. Usually they will only cover emergency situations. With today's insurance prices, most people leave the surgical center or hospital fully able to change their own dressings, especially when this is something that needs to be done for months. To save yourself the steep prices the infirmary will charge you, perhaps you can have your doc or whoever is doing the current dressing changes show you or a traveling partner how to do it.

THANKS EVERYONE - hopefully it will be much improved and my DH will be fine doing it by the time we travel but I just wanted to make sure I had back up if there was a problem. At the moment I make daily trips to the clinic courtesy of the NHS where the district nurses deal with it which obviously is at no cost to us. You hear a lot of complaints about the UK health Services but they have been great with me and we are very fortunate that we don't have to pay out as you do in the States. As a result we don't have medical insurance but I will check with our travel insurers.

Would you enjoy the cruise more if you waited until it healed? You would be sleeping on a germy bed and you wouldn't be able to go into the pools or hot tub. Just a thought. Then you wouldn't have to pay the extra fees? Hopefully you heal quickly!

I would add to the advice that you familiarize yourself with your doctor's advice and plans for dressing changes. Also make sure the ship has all the needed dressings and materials. If something special is needed, you might be able to have it delivered by a home health agency to meet you at embarkation. I know that is done with the large volume of fluids used by peritoneal dialysis patients.

I will add some of my experiences.

1. Medicare does not cover outside USA but my suplimental Blue Cross policy does. Every policy has different benefits, so check yours. We always get travel insurance so we are 100% sure we are covered for any odd reason that Blue Cross can come up with. NOW here is the rub you have to have the waiver for pre-existing conditions(in your case) for it to be covered by travel insurance...I always conform to the travel insurance company's rules when it comes to pre-existing conditions. In your case it would have to come under that rule. In the past, with my travel ins company as long as you purchase the policy when you make your first deposit the waiver is enforce...I do not know if the travel insurance company you choose would.

2. You always have to pay upfront & get re-embursed by any insurance company for the ships's doctor's fees.You need the original doctor's form he/she will give you when you are done with your apt....you need to send that with your ship's final statement to get the $$ back from any insurance company so do not loose those!!

3. Our charges for doctor's services always included drugs but the average cost was $150-200. We always have been covered by either Blue Cross or travel insurance and either, in my case, would cover...I usually used the travel insurance company because I feel that is why we bought it and there are no co-pays.

I think the basic costs w/o drugs (believe me they REALLY over charge for the drugs) is between $75-140. I think that if your doctor feels he/she can show you what to do that is your best option with the least possibility of infection. If not check with your insurance company for what your policy allows.......Like what others have said here....Always ask for the cost upfront so you are not in shock at what shows up on your ship's account.......Have a great cruise!!

Would you enjoy the cruise more if you waited until it healed? You would be sleeping on a germy bed and you wouldn't be able to go into the pools or hot tub. Just a thought. Then you wouldn't have to pay the extra fees? Hopefully you heal quickly!

This is a good point to which I will add that OP probably should ask the cabin attendant to change out the sheets daily for nice clean ones...same with having him/her change all of the bed toppers etc...for freshly cleaned ones each day as well to just help keep the risk of picking up an infection to a minimum.

my daughter got an ear infection on the cruise. First one ever and she is 15 years old. Could not sleep so had to take her to the ship doctor. She got examined and ear drops and motrin(which I had brought anyway) and the cost was $248, this was a few weeks ago.

We are due to go on a cruise shortly but I had to undergo an emergency surgical procedure which will still require dressings to be changed daily when we cruise (for a few months probably!). I've been in touch with Royal Caribbean Special Services and they have confirmed they are able to do this for me in the medical centre for a fee. Does anyone know where I can find their scale of charges?

Thanks for your help

Have you considered that there are all sorts of complications that can set in after surgery ? You need to understand that if the Ship's Doctor feels that they can not fully address your needs or you would requires more than just a changing the dressings, he/she has the right to require that you leave the ship and be transfered to a medical facility that is more equiped to help you. This often requires that the indivudal be airlifted to the nearest hospital which is considerable costly . It also requires that you than are responsible for getting yourself home. Hope you have both evacuation insurance and trip interuption insurance.

THANKS EVERYONE - and we are very fortunate that we don't have to pay out as you do in the States. As a result we don't have medical insurance but I will check with our travel insurers.

Well, as a veteran of both UK and US systems, you do pay but in different ways :)

Where are you going, inside or outside the EU ?

I recommend you take out a travellers' policy of some sort to protect yourself (and your wallet). Charges abroad or aboard can rack up very quickly.

Considering the RCCL appears supremely and enthusiastically capable of nickel and diming their captives to the extreme, I would do some major research ahead of time. I'd guess that the charges could easily exceed the cost of your passage. Let me know if I am wrong. I'll bet not.

$179 to flush out a stopped up ear on our trans-Atlantic well out of the US when it happened. Did a half-a** job and had to have it done again when I got home.

However, Medicare did pay $60 for it which surprised us. Insurance covered the rest other than a $50 deductible. We didn't think to apply to BC/BS for the difference between Medicare and what it cost. Doubt we would have gotten anything anyway since at home the doctor's visit and procedure is around $65.

I am a traveling medicine cabinet when I cruise. You'd be amazed how much room a zip lock full of medicines take up but I've (and DH) been plenty happy when we've needed something in it. Last cruise it was antibiotics. Usually cold tablets since they always run out of them in the ship's store.

Tucker in Texas

Archived