Breakaway to your Getaway...

RYMOMA

This was the original premise for the naming convention they looked to attain during the contest:

"Norwegian says it is looking for names for the Project Breakaway ships that "reflect the innovation of the brand along with the freedom and flexibility of its signature Freestyle Cruising." The names should invoke the feeling that these ships provide a "break" at sea from the stress of everyday life, the line adds."

Given this description, the chosen names are admittedly much too superficial. They actually remind me of the stress of everyday life, because the names come off as an instruction of something to do, as opposed to what I think I would enjoy doing/feeling.

But if perhaps they choose to extend another order of this new class of ships, other words that fit this ship naming convention are "Layaway" and "Giveaway" and "Stowaway" and "Keepaway."

Why would loyay passengers do that. I don't like the name "EPIC", however if I have the money, I may sail away on her.

see EPIC fits the ship

it is huge, grand, far beyond what i would expect.

i expect to have an "EPIC" adventure

but what can you expect when getting on a ship named breakaway?

Dear Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations,

Norwegian Cruise Line is already - UNIQUE - ORIGINAL and INNOVATIVE and, with all due respect and with our congratulations to the contest winners, the chosen names are not a true representation of what makes Norwegian Cruise Line stand out from the Cruise industry overall.

That's how we as adults, reacted to the 'Breakaway and 'Getaway' names. Our kids and grandkids on the other hand reacted with....(and we quote) - "LOL" - "LMAO" - "ROTFLMAO". Does that mean good or bad??? :confused: ????

Dear Cruise Critic members,

We are sorry that you are disappointed with the names for our new ships. We want you to know that we are really excited about our new ship names and we had hoped that you would be too.

We thank everyone who entered the contest for their time and for their suggestions. There were a lot of names that have been used by competitors and we did not want to use those. We wanted original names that defined our new class of ships. We thank Kim Powell and Dennis Hultman for suggesting these names. If you haven't seen it, check out Kim's post on our Facebook page.

Norwegian Cruise Line has always been an innovator and these ships are unlike any other in the industry; therefore we chose names that were unlike any other ship names out there. We really felt these names embodied the unique aspects of these ships. As more details about the ships are revealed, we hope you will see how fitting these names are.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

We are sorry that you are disappointed with the names for our new ships. We want you to know that we are really excited about our new ship names and we had hoped that you would be too.

We thank everyone who entered the contest for their time and for their suggestions. There were a lot of names that have been used by competitors and we did not want to use those. We wanted original names that defined our new class of ships. We thank Kim Powell and Dennis Hultman for suggesting these names. If you haven't seen it, check out Kim's post on our Facebook page.

Norwegian Cruise Line has always been an innovator and these ships are unlike any other in the industry; therefore we chose names that were unlike any other ship names out there. We really felt these names embodied the unique aspects of these ships. As more details about the ships are revealed, we hope you will see how fitting these names are.

Regards,

We like NCL and have 2 more booked. Dawn and Pearl! Keep up keeping Freestyle the best vacation around....

I think the names are a Pearl and a Jewel to the cruise lover, and could be the Dawn of something great!!!

LOL...nice play on words.

In the SPIRIT of things, I think the SKY is the limit. Given the GEMs of the NCL line, my view may be JADEd, but some STARs shine bright as the SUN, while others are EPIC.

All jokes aside, I love the names of the current ships...I just don't get Breakaway and Getaway (shaking my head).

It doesn't matter what they call 'em. With 4000 pax, I won't get on one anyway.

Yikes!

So it's more like NCL Stayaway? ;)

I feel bad that NCL PR was offended, but these names make NCL sound cheap, not classy. I hope if I ever sail on one it doesn't break apart. With all the issues prior to Epic's launch, I think Breakaway is just asking for trouble. Disappointed...

...that NCL PR feels bad. No one wants to encounter such a uniformly negative response, I'm sure.:(

But here's the thing: most of us NCL afficionados (new and old) appreciate what NCL already does well with its brand and with Freestyle Cruising. We have lots of choices; the crew are fun and friendly; and NCL ships are sexy, flashy and hip (and a little brash), but still romantic. And that's the key: we love NCL and the NCL fleet.

By contrast, these new names are none of the above. They aren't fun, friendly, sexy or in any way romantic. Rather, they are clunky, literalistic, mechanical, and obvious. They might as well be called "Norwegian Breakaway-Style Floating Resort Complex A" and "Norwegian Breakaway-Style Floating Resort Complex B."

Ultimately, our disappointment stems from the fact that our expectations were really high. And NCL shouldn't be disappointed in that, at all. But remember, Freestyle Cruising is still cruising, and we ultimately love it so much because we love cruise ships. And cruise ships, no matter how hip, deserve some dignity, because when we sail on them they are our entire universe.

I pray NCL will find a way to back away from this decision and come up with some names that folks will embrace with joy, rather than simply shrugging with disappointment and resignation, as we're going to be sailing on them for a long time. Thanks for listening.

So it's more like NCL Stayaway? ;)

I feel bad that NCL PR was offended, but these names make NCL sound cheap, not classy. I hope if I ever sail on one it doesn't break apart. With all the issues prior to Epic's launch, I think Breakaway is just asking for trouble. Disappointed...

I don't think the names sound cheap. I just think they're clunky.

On a par with NCL Kludge or Blotto.

...that NCL PR feels bad. No one wants to encounter such a uniformly negative response, I'm sure.:(

But here's the thing: most of us NCL afficionados (new and old) appreciate what NCL already does well with its brand and with Freestyle Cruising. We have lots of choices; the crew are fun and friendly; and NCL ships are sexy, flashy and hip (and a little brash), but still romantic. And that's the key: we love NCL and the NCL fleet.

By contrast, these new names are none of the above. They aren't fun, friendly, sexy or in any way romantic. Rather, they are clunky, literalistic, mechanical, and obvious. They might as well be called "Norwegian Breakaway-Style Floating Resort Complex A" and "Norwegian Breakaway-Style Floating Resort Complex B."

Ultimately, our disappointment stems from the fact that our expectations were really high. And NCL shouldn't be disappointed in that, at all. But remember, Freestyle Cruising is still cruising, and we ultimately love it so much because we love cruise ships. And cruise ships, no matter how hip, deserve some dignity, because when we sail on them they are our entire universe.

I pray NCL will find a way to back away from this decision and come up with some names that folks will embrace with joy, rather than simply shrugging with disappointment and resignation, as we're going to be sailing on them for a long time. Thanks for listening.

Bravo!!!! Nicely worded.

Dear Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations,

Norwegian Cruise Line is already - UNIQUE - ORIGINAL and INNOVATIVE and, with all due respect and with our congratulations to the contest winners, the chosen names are not a true representation of what makes Norwegian Cruise Line stand out from the Cruise industry overall.

That's how we as adults, reacted to the 'Breakaway and 'Getaway' names. Our kids and grandkids on the other hand reacted with....(and we quote) - "LOL" - "LMAO" - "ROTFLMAO". Does that mean good or bad??? :confused: ????

Very well put!

LOL...nice play on words.

In the SPIRIT of things, I think the SKY is the limit. Given the GEMs of the NCL line, my view may be JADEd, but some STARs shine bright as the SUN, while others are EPIC.

All jokes aside, I love the names of the current ships...I just don't get Breakaway and Getaway (shaking my head).

love this post. hate those new names. i'm shaking my head as well. i was assuming the new names would be something like the Diamond and the Platinum.

With the thousands of entries submitted, I find it very hard to believe that these two were the ones NCL found most inspiring and innovative!

As a former hockey mom, "Breakaway" immediately conjures up images of sweaty little players in PeeWee hockey games at the crack of dawn in cold, smelly ice rinks, and the name "Getaway" reminds me of that really bad 70's car chase movie starring Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw.

I'm sure that the new ships will be wonderful, but it's too bad that the names don't truly reflect the image many NCL loyalists have in mind! Ugh!

Regards,

If the above was so important please explain why 2 of the names on the short list were the names of currently sailing cruise ships.

The should have been eleiminated imediately.

Perhaps the only 3 unique names were the 2 chosen and Bliss

Perfectly stated. After contemplating, I too think that these names should be seriously reevaluated...they really do sound cheap. I love a bargain, I despise cheap. I can hear myself "oh what ship am I going on? It's called Norwegian Breakway"...and feeling a little embarassed to do so.

Hehe.. Can just see the next Cruise Critic Editorial..

"has NCL made another Epic Blunder"

Following on from Epic's toiletgate and splashing sinks, NCL recently announced the names of the two new ships in the Breakaway project, one which despite asking thousands of customers for ideas is err called Breakaway and the other one is.. Getaway.. really.. No the name is Getaway..

An NCL PR spokesman said they were looking for industry-unique names

What do you think?

Now why couldn't we had something like NCL Inspire or longer Inspiration and NCL Imagine or rather than getaway retreat NCL Retreat, even NCL Free and NCL Style ~~(I like the latter one)..

Or maybe use the project Breakaway and what NCL is about and call the other one Freestyle

Archived