Why do people say the food is slipping?

Dena

I think a lot depends upon a person's basis of comparison. As someone who grew up on the north shore of long island, lived in Manhattan for fifteen years as a young adult, and currently lives in Connecticut, I've always had access to the some of the best restaurants in the world. So my concept of excellent food and service is probably different than someone who lives in an area that has mostly franchise/chain restaurants.

Exactly.

I'm always amused by this attitude. It may come as a surprise but there are some other places that have restaurants that will have much better food than what you have grown up around. Really, you east coast folks don't have a lock on good food or understanding what it good, you just think you do.

No one said "we east coast folks" have a lock on good for or "understanding what is good" nor that we "just think" we do...

But, for example, there are some people who think "authentic Italian dining" is Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill.

Food preference is totally subjective - but if people are asking for "opinion", I will continue to preface MY opinion with the background & food expectations that I have, growing up as an "east coast folk". :rolleyes:

Has anyone thought, in addition to a reduction of what they spend on food, it's also a matter of who's preparing the food, and their training? X used to have mostly classically trained European chefs, but I'm not sure they can afford to hire that kind of chef anymore. Those guys command big bucks, and now seem to stick with land based restaurants and resorts. A chef makes all the difference.

Exactly.

No one said "we east coast folks" have a lock on good for or "understanding what is good" nor that we "just think" we do...

But, for example, there are some people who think "authentic Italian dining" is Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill.

Food preference is totally subjective - but if people are asking for "opinion", I will continue to preface MY opinion with the background & food expectations that I have, growing up as an "east coast folk". :rolleyes:

I think you proved the point.

I think a lot depends upon a person's basis of comparison. As someone who grew up on the north shore of long island, lived in Manhattan for fifteen years as a young adult, and currently lives in Connecticut, I've always had access to the some of the best restaurants in the world. So my concept of excellent food and service is probably different than someone who lives in an area that has mostly franchise/chain restaurants.

This assumes what? That people "in an area with mostly franchise/chain restaurants" do not travel or even if they do, they are too ignorant to evaluate what they find. Or those living in areas with "mostly franchise chain restaurants" have no access to fine dining. I have lived on the east coast, the west coast, and in the mid west. I am always amazed by how provincial some of those who live on the coasts are, I have found New Yorkers to be the worst offenders.

we new yorkers get a bad rap from everyone, lol. i understood what you mean. i once read a review about rccl and its sorrento's pizza. the reviewer said it was delicious. not as good as pizza hut, of course, but great all the same. my husband and i still repeat it and have a good laugh every time we pass a pizza hut on the road.

we new yorkers get a bad rap from everyone, lol. i understood what you mean. i once read a review about rccl and its sorrento's pizza. the reviewer said it was delicious. not as good as pizza hut, of course, but great all the same. my husband and i still repeat it and have a good laugh every time we pass a pizza hut on the road.

OK. I have agree with you on this one. As a former east coaster, I agree: that is not even close to being pizza.

Frame of reference is important in another sense. Many of us on this board have sailed on Celebrity since the early 90s. For many years they had a star chef who actually sailed the ships and they spent more money on food. I am easy to please and the MDR is fine for me so I am not complaining but I will say that the Specialty Restaurants now are comparable to MDR in the early 90s.

actually,

I eat better in the Midwest and Florida than in Manhattan or California...The food in NY is often dripping with overpriced arrogance, a recipe that is unfortunately also well known here in Europe and which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Give me a fresh Fish Tacofrom heidi's foodcart in Key West or fall-off-the-bone babyback ribs from StevieB's in Weston and I'm a happy man.

And Singingmom1: I do know my food. In my family we have a 2 Michelin stars restaurant.

Frame of reference is important in another sense. Many of us on this board have sailed on Celebrity since the early 90s. For many years they had a star chef who actually sailed the ships and they spent more money on food. I am easy to please and the MDR is fine for me so I am not complaining but I will say that the Specialty Restaurants now are comparable to MDR in the early 90s.

I really must agree with Don/Dkjretired. We still very much enjoy the food in the MDR, but the Specialty Restaurants are comparable to the grand style of how things used to be in the MDR.

As the old adage goes, "The Devil is in the details." Vegetables and side dishes used to be highly complimentary to the main entrée: rice was beautifully mounded and topped with decoration, green beans were tied in a bundle, and pearl onions or small potatoes always came in a marvelous potato basket. Presentation meant a great deal — and the quality of ingredients and the taste reflected great care, to the point we marveled at how they could achieve such quality en masse.

Though I'm still happy with the dining experience, it's been awhile since I've marveled at MDR presentation or quality.

CM

Can we put a lid on the escalating geographic nastiness and just respond to the OP's original question - :)

I have been cruising X for over 20 years. In my opinion, as a general rule I feel the quality of the food has decreased. It also seems like there are fewer menu options - but I couldn't swear to that point as I never counted. I also believe that the food can really vary from ship to ship. In recent years, I have been on cruises where I felt the food was excellent, and on others where there were one or two excellent nights but the food was overall 'just' good. I have had waiters who were awesome, and a couple who were so-so. Most were somewhere in-between. Overall, when I first started cruising X I would have given the food an average grade of A. In recent years, I would give it an average grade of B --- sometimes A's, but also sometimes C's. My opinion after 20 cruises on X.

ps

Have also cruised numerous other lines once or twice and X is still overall my favorite as regards food - and most everything else for that matter.

actually,

And Singingmom1: I do know my food. In my family we have a 2 Michelin stars restaurant.

Lordy, I don't know how this got so out of hand... I did not say anyone "did not know their food"!

I merely was making a comment about food being subjective. You know what you like, I know what I like. It doesn't HAVE to be the same. I simply was stating that we enjoy great restaurants in our area and therefore, that's how I base my expectations. Celebrity's MDR did not llive up to my expectations. Just MY experience. The OP asked why some weren't thrilled with the food. (paraphrasing)

Bon appetite! ;)

I never said that New York City is the only place that has good restaurants. In fact, my favorite restaurant in the United States is in Chicago. I've, also, been to numerous upscale restaurants in many different states within the USA. as well as in Europe. However, there are still many areas where it is difficult to find a restaurant that is not a chain restaurant.

I never said that New York City is the only place that has good restaurants. In fact, my favorite restaurant in the United States is in Chicago. I've, also, been to numerous upscale restaurants in many different states within the USA. as well as in Europe. However, there are still many areas where it is difficult to find a restaurant that is not a chain restaurant.

Agree, you never said that nor implied it.....

I thinking Singingmom pretty much hit the nail on the head, opinions on food on the ship are totally subjective.

Has anyone ever been on the kitchen tour on a Solstice-class ship? I've only been on the Summit's tour but I can say the operation is fascinating and I really could appreciate how hard these people were working. At 10am they were doing all the prep work for dinner. It wasn't that crowded with workers during our tour so I could just imagine how crazy it is when 5pm rolls around. I have to say the food quality is rather high for being mass-produced. In my opinion, its kind of unfair to compare it to a Michelin quality restaurant in NY, CA, Las Vegas or wherever since such restaurants have smaller operations where chefs and staff have a lot more time and leeway to give extra attention to preparation, presentation and cooking. We have to remember in the 80's and early 90's, there weren't many 3,000-5,000+ capacity cruise ships that the market is so accustomed to today. In terms of value for the cruise fare paid, the food satisfies me as a good baseline acceptability. And its nice to have the option of Murano or Tuscan Grill when I'm not in the mood to be in a massive dining room on a particular night. I love that special experience.

Most people I have been dined with have been satisfied in the MDR. This means they are usually happy but don't hesitate to send something back once or twice during the cruise. There is always going to be a bad entree you run into at some point and the staff are very accommodating in making changes.

I've been to family owned Italian restaurants whose food was not as good as Olive Gardens. In one of these Italian 'family owned', over-priced restaurants the food was horrible - unedible. It made me gag it was so bad.

It's pretty tough to beat Olive Garden for a great experience, but OG is not really a cheap restaurant. We usually spend around $25/person when we go there. However, you get everything included so it's a pretty good deal and the food is always good quality and the same at all restaurants.

Tom

I've been to family owned Italian restaurants whose food was not as good as Olive Gardens. In one of these Italian 'family owned', over-priced restaurants the food was horrible - unedible. It made me gag it was so bad.

Back to to the question of the OP - well because people get more spoiled with every cruise they take- LOL. Expectations get higher and higher!

Almost time for some to come back to mother earth. They cook for 2000 or more- so nobody can expect Groumet Food! I love the dinners in MDR and as for the Specialty Restaurants- they are outstanding and worth every Dollar one spends there!

Michael

Interesting, as I'm just starting to read the Celebrity boards as I'd like to try a Celebrity cruise. I've sailed Princess for several years. The same type of thread is on there about food quality slipping. I'm thinking it's probably on most cruise line's boards. My niece and I really noticed a difference in the desserts on our Princess cruise in April. We couldn't believe it was the same cruise line. However, I still have two Princess cruises booked. With this economy and prices going up for cruise lines to buy supplies but their inability to really increase cruise prices I'm sure there are things that just aren't quite what they used to be. It's a different world now. Prices are so high for everything yet companies have to still attract clients but still satisfy their investors, board members, etc.

I do see changes in quality in cruises but I still think it's a great vacation deal. I love, love, love to cruise

We've just returned from a Sep 3 sailing on the Silhouette. Our previous sailing in Feb was on the Equinox and we were in Aqua class and dined in Blu, which we thoroughly enjoyed, especially the ambiance and more intimate dining area, along with the excellent food. But we were very pleasantly surprised on this sailing at the quality of the food in the MDR. About 10 years ago we first sailed with Celebrity on the Zenith. Over the years I would say the quality has improved, which for us means less heavy and lighter more nuanced sauces and well prepared dishes. The food back then and over the years has been excellent, but we find the current offerings the best we have sampled. I agree that we all miss the lobster tails and some of the other more expensive items they have deleted, but we appreciate the current offerings. It is how food is prepared that is important, not just the availability of more expensive (to Celebrity) options.

Although having said this I must admit the the lobster half tail in the Lobster Melange was tasteless, which is hard to do with lobster, not sweet, not juicy, just no taste. But I must also admit it did taste good with the sauce which accompanied it.

dgraham- my first crusie was on board Milli- when she was brand new. After beeing a loyal Royal cruiser I was surprised that the food in the MDR was much much better than RCI´s so I almost stick with X.

Sometimes I ordered the wrong Entree or Appetizer- well mostly due to missunderstandings because I got some english words wrong- I always take the english menu. One evening I orderd " the lovely garlic smelling round thing" I saw beeing served to a neighbor the other night. Of course I ended up with Escargots- which i never and under no circumstances eat - I am glad I asked " what´s underneath?? That was about 20 years ago- but always I nice story to tell at the dinner table. ...

Michael

dgraham- my first crusie was on board Milli- when she was brand new. After beeing a loyal Royal cruiser I was surprised that the food in the MDR was much much better than RCI´s so I almost stick with X.

Sometimes I ordered the wrong Entree or Appetizer- well mostly due to missunderstandings because I got some english words wrong- I always take the english menu. One evening I orderd " the lovely garlic smelling round thing" I saw beeing served to a neighbor the other night. Of course I ended up with Escargots- which i never and under no circumstances eat - I am glad I asked " what´s underneath?? That was about 20 years ago- but always I nice story to tell at the dinner table. ...

Michael

Thanks for the story. It reminds me of when for one cruise we shared a table with a couple from England. He had never eaten escargots, even though over the years his wife had continued to encourage him to try them, but finally, with some trepidation he did sample them. And to see the look on his face as he exclaimed, "You mean this is what I have been missing all these years!!" Needless to say, after that he ordered them whenever he could.

I returned from my first cruise to Alaska aboard the Century last Thursday, only eat once in main restaurant we thought the food was nothing special, quite poor and disappointing, and both our meals were overcooked and we did not like the atmosphere at all,and i am not a "foodie" by any means i just want what it says on the menu and to be cooked properly, the spa café was very good and the specialty restaurant was excellent so eat there 3 times once was complementary the other i had to pay the extra ....and when i filled in the survey they defiantly did not get excellent....

Debs

Archived