Looking Back - What complimentary amenities do you miss the most?

BPyser1

As we all know, over the past couple of years, Royal Caribbean has reduced some of the amenities that used to be on their ships for cost related / overcrowding reasons. For example, Concierge Lounge Access for C&A Diamond Members, chocolate mints on your pillows, free filet mignons in the dining room, etc.

I'm curious to know, ever since you started cruising with Royal Caribbean, what are some of your favorite missed complimentary amenities that are either not available now, or that were once complimentary and now cost a fee? This can range the gamut from RCL's beginnings (Song of Norway - 1970) to today.

For me, this would have to be the midnight Gala Buffet. Although it was a waste of food and money (the reason it was removed), it was really nice to look at and provided ample photo pictures for my scrapbook. Those cheese sculptures were really impressive too!

The other amenity I really miss is the daily chocolate mint on my pillow. It was really nice having one of those sweets right before going to sleep.

What are some of yours?

Baked Alaska in the dining room? Free Room Service in the overnight hours...?

I miss the pillow mints, it was something tiny but nice to have something sweet before bed after having some drinks, does not stop me cruising though, i just take some chocolate with me and have that, makes me feel that i am more on vacation.

Don't miss any of those things either. That is not the reason we cruise.

I can think of a few more things they can do away with also, and they probably will eventually as cruising becomes more and more focused on a mass market.

I will have to agree, the MDR is not what it used to be. I predict there will be major changes happening there fleetwide.

I don't miss anything either. We think the food on the ships is great, plenty of choices and good tasting food. Service is always wonderful. We get lots of "surprises" during the week since we are D+, on 3 night cruises we get more food in our cabin than we can eat. We try to find others to "share" with so it does not go to waste.

Love the towels animals, favorite thing coming in at night is seeing the towel animal on the bed.

I miss quality food in the dining room. Most of the other cutbacks are things I didn't use/qualify for so I don't miss them. I do wish they would increase the food budget per passenger and get better quality ingredients.

I couldn't agree more - when will the cruise lines listen and provide a quality dining product which is so needed in the main dining room.

Until the question was asked I could not think of anything and after seeing some things mentioned I do not miss them..

Now as far as quality of Food goes in the MDR people have been complaining about it even before our first cruise many years ago and that is one constant that never seems to change, besides food is not an ammenty that has gone away and yes the quality has changed over time but in the end it is all subjective and everyone will have a different opinions about it.

I don't really miss any of the things you've mentioned.

Maybe I miss having a towel animal every night but I imagine it saves a lot on laundry costs for the cruiseline.

We were on a cruise in July and had towel animals awaiting us every evening, so I'm not sure what you're referring to!

We were on a cruise in July and had towel animals awaiting us every evening, so I'm not sure what you're referring to!

Lucky you! We only had towel animals on three nights, and our steward explained that this is RCI's directive to save on laundry. Many on CC have reported the same thing - towel animals every other night, instead of every night.

I dont miss the chocolates, animals but wish for better food in the MDR and WJ. We also miss the fact that the waiters in MDR are so busy they don't have time to chat. We use to love to learn where they were from, talks about their family, etc. It use to be more intimate, no longer as they have too many tables to care for to chat. Cruising was much better 10-15 years ago....

I miss the passenger lists that were provided at the end of the cruise, the 2 decks of playing cards that were in you room upon arrival, skeet shooting of the stern of the Sun Viking, there are many more but it seems all people want to do is complain about the food. :):)

I couldn't think of anything I miss but I did come up with something for my husband:D. He is quite the news junkie and misses the daily papers the ships used to print out! Now he is reduced to watching Fox "news":eek:

Sherri:)

Archived