Weather in alaska .. MAY vs. SEPT

laniriveira

Were looking at a cruise either departing May 1st or Sept 11th 2012. Can anyone help me with the differences (if any) between those two months. More less rain (i know you can't really predict), snow capped mountains, windy etc. The price is higher in Sept so does that mean its better weather? Any help is appreciated!!

Others with much more experience than I should be along soon, but I'll chime in with my experience. We sailed in late May (returning over Memorial Day weekend). We had rain/overcast in Glacier Bay, sun & highs of 75 in Juneau, overcast weather in Sitka, and rain in Ketchikan. I've been checking the webcams for the Alaska ports throughout the summer, and there's hardly been a week where there hasn't been rain somewhere.

When we booked our cruise, I had to debate the May/September options too. We decided on May because it's historically drier, there's still snow on the mountains, and we were ready to cruise NOW. :D Just the wait between February (when we booked) and May was enough to drive me batty.

This site gives historical temperature and precipitation by community. Both May and September will be cooler with May normally being drier. Snow capped mountains are definitely May and even into June & July. The fall colors have been spectacular the past couple years in September.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/climate.php?stnid=PAJN&mon=5&yr=2011&obs=true&precip=true

If you search the word “weather” you’ll get lots of hits about the weather in Alaska. This one is from last month asking the same question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1465748&highlight=weather

Were looking at a cruise either departing May 1st or Sept 11th 2012. Can anyone help me with the differences (if any) between those two months. More less rain (i know you can't really predict), snow capped mountains, windy etc. The price is higher in Sept so does that mean its better weather? Any help is appreciated!!

Could be that they are starting to discount some of the May sailings and the September ones will be later?

Have sailed twice in late May and one year it was sunny and warm and the other was wet and downright cold. But both trips were wonderful :)

Going to try September next year with a pre-cruise in Denali for a few days before. I'm hoping to see some of the color change and bears this time :D

Have fun choosing!

Just got back. sailed the 11 Sept. Weather was very good except for Ketchikan where it rained quite heavily. We have sailed a few times early and late (middle also) in the season and the only thing different for sure is that early you will have more light. It was an issue with a port or two last week. It was dark early.

We have always had pretty good weather but historically we found less fog early.

Ice may be more of problem early also when trying to get into Glacier range.

SO...it's a toss up. sorry.:)

You choosing to sale these dates because of the price or because the time is right?

IMHO don't sell yourself short and go because you save a few hundred dollars/person. You can and likely will get rain anytime but there is a reason May and Sept are cheaper.

Decades ago we took the last sailing. In all three ports weather was dreadful, leaving skagway had the worst storm I can remember. That last lobster dinner wasn't eaten, YMMV

On the bright side we had a spectacular day in college fjord and glacier bay as you can tell by my profile and signature pictures :D

Edited by chipmaster

You choosing to sale these dates because of the price or because the time is right?

IMHO don't sell yourself short and go because you save a few hundred dollars/person. You can and likely will get rain anytime but there is a reason May and Sept are cheaper.

Decades ago we took the last sailing. In all three ports weather was dreadful, leaving skagway had the worst storm I can remember. That last lobster dinner wasn't eaten, YMMV

On the bright side we had a spectacular day in college fjord and glacier bay as you can tell by my profile and signature pictures :D

Were going to cruise because of time. DS will start kindergarten in Sept 2012 and I really don't want him to miss any school, I'd rather him miss Pre-k in May instead. But I was also trying to take into account weather. Thanks for the feedback!

You get more daylight going in May vs Sept. I've had fabulous weather in May and in Sept. This year, this week, the weather is sucking BIG TIME.

In early May, and late Sept, some of the shorex will not be available. Some shops may not be open. In May, the people on shore aren't as burned out about tourists as they will be in Sept.

Truly, from my experience, it is a toss-up. For me, everything else being equal, I'd go in May to enjoy the longer days. But with a preschooler, that may not be an advantage to you :)

I have specifically sailed both these timeframes. What needs to be a consideration, is there is a BIG difference week to week, so your "great" reports sailing second week of May, really have nothing to do with the week prior. The improvement as May goes on is significant and you can just about count on mid May into June being some of the better weather. In Sept. after the first week has the biggest potential for foul weather of the season, with the third week having 'more" than the second, the second having more than the first. :)

You have way more snow views in May.

The daylight issue is significant. It is dark by 7pm after the first week of Sept. This severely impacts on the scenic sailing that you would get going in May. Certainly, it won't matter to everyone.

Both timeframes need to be well prepared in your attire, which will make another significant difference in your experience.

You need to determine, if these timeframes are going to fit in the priority of your travels. If the compromise is too much, then even with the discounts (which are no longer what they were) may not make the trip as worthwhile as paying more and going at a different timeframe.

A lot of people don't make a lot of trips, and even if you go once/year, between those years is a lot of time, to wait for the next time. Money is spent, time used. Make it work the best for you. :)

Joanie, one of the regulars on Cruise Critic, is currently on a Holland America Alaska cruise and has been posting a blog about it, so you may be interested in taking a look at her most recent reports. Here are the links:

[/url]- Joanie's Alaskan Adventure -Sept 16-20

- Joanie's Alaskan Adventure -Sept 21-22

I just got back from AK this morning. It wasn't that cold but it rained every day and we had rough seas with not only the passengers but also many of the crew getting sick. All of the outdoor activities on the ship and many of the shore excursions were cancelled. But for those who go on vacation to buy tee shirts, they were very cheap. Personally, I think I'll stick with the carribbean from now on.

I had the same debate and wanted May, but went with my parents and had to go September. We just returned from the Sept. 10 - 17 and had the best weather they stated they have had in a long time. Sunny skies and low 60's in Juneau. When we docked in Skagway it was drizzling, but it burned off and warmed up nicely. Ketchikan, it was cloudy early morning, and again burned off. Glacier Bay it drizzled most of the morning. I was never cold and we ended up dragging our coats around. We left our balcony door open most of the time and even at night when we were sleeping. We saw tons of people in shorts and flip flops. September is the end of the season so most of the stores in port were 50% off of everything.

From all my research our experience was the expection and not the norm. We were so glad it was not cold and raining the entire trip. You just never know. Book what will work for you at the price you are willing to pay and hope for the best. We did and totally lucked out.

Edited by KVR
spelling

Book what will work for you at the price you are willing to pay and hope for the best. We did and totally lucked out.

I would not recommend this for anyone thinking this will be their only trip to Alaska. Although I know that you can have lousy weather anytime, for a once in a life time trip, I would go when statistically I am most likely to have better weather.

I would not recommend this for anyone thinking this will be their only trip to Alaska. Although I know that you can have lousy weather anytime, for a once in a life time trip, I would go when statistically I am most likely to have better weather.

This is what was recommended to me and fortunatley it worked out for us.

No one can predict the weather and even good weather statisically is not guarenteed.

I understand that everyone wants good weather on their trip and no matter how much planning it may or may not happen.

I provided our experience and answered the OP's question, and I stick with my prior comment. It is their decision as to what to do with all the information they receive.

I just got back from AK this morning. It wasn't that cold but it rained every day and we had rough seas with not only the passengers but also many of the crew getting sick. All of the outdoor activities on the ship and many of the shore excursions were cancelled. But for those who go on vacation to buy tee shirts, they were very cheap. Personally, I think I'll stick with the carribbean from now on.

See above; don't go in September. Alaska's too expensive of a trip to go against the odds by coming in the worse month for weather out of the options. And it's been the worse August/September in years. You can never tell, but again, play the odds for this sort of trip.

Every day that we've been having these monsoon rains and high winds, I've literally pitied anyone who paid money to come here. There were a few days that I was actually worried for those on the ships, and I'm guessing this poster was on one.

I had the same debate and wanted May, but went with my parents and had to go September. We just returned from the Sept. 10 - 17 and had the best weather they stated they have had in a long time. Sunny skies and low 60's in Juneau. When we docked in Skagway it was drizzling, but it burned off and warmed up nicely. Ketchikan, it was cloudy early morning, and again burned off. Glacier Bay it drizzled most of the morning. I was never cold and we ended up dragging our coats around. We left our balcony door open most of the time and even at night when we were sleeping. We saw tons of people in shorts and flip flops. September is the end of the season so most of the stores in port were 50% off of everything.

From all my research our experience was the expection and not the norm. We were so glad it was not cold and raining the entire trip. You just never know. Book what will work for you at the price you are willing to pay and hope for the best. We did and totally lucked out.

Ditto on the beautiful weather for those dates! I didn't need a coat at all. I used a rain poncho only on the Glacier viewing day as it was rainy. It was smooth sailing and lots of sun. I was sweating on some of our hikes. Loved all the bargains I got on socks, outerwear, coffee, etc. Awesome time. Weather is unpredictable but Sept. suited our party the best and we lucked out!

See above; don't go in September. Alaska's too expensive of a trip to go against the odds by coming in the worse month for weather out of the options. And it's been the worse August/September in years. You can never tell, but again, play the odds for this sort of trip.

Every day that we've been having these monsoon rains and high winds, I've literally pitied anyone who paid money to come here. There were a few days that I was actually worried for those on the ships, and I'm guessing this poster was on one.

Yes he was. To give an idea of the weather, in addition to raining every day, the lead singer for the band had to stop singing halfway through a song to run off the stage because she got sick. Then the music stands started falling over. Finally, one of the drums fell over and they stopped playing. On one of the sea days, there was a reception for repeat passengers where they gave away free booze, food and prizes. About half didn't make it which from what I saw people on board would do for free drinks and prizes, was remarkable. I guess we didn't have it as bad as some of the other ships who cancelled ports and left people in others. Still, I had a great time and will cruise again. I just won't be back in AK and would suggest avoiding the end of the season if you do choose to go there.

Check on Weatherunderground.

DON

All things being equal I would go with May over September.

As mentioned you will have more daylight to enjoy the views of Alaska whether in port, docked or at sea and there is less chance for rain.

Keith

Your right! Were planning for the May 1st sailing. Just waiting till we come bk frm our 4 day cruise to book it:D

• 2 years later...