Tipping in Australia????

Josume94

It is known world wide that Australians( most) are not good tippers or they do not tip at all.

Take a deep breath and get your facts straight... :eek:

In Australia it is against the law to expect staff to beg for money to make up for slave level salaries. I for one am very glad that we have laws such as this that make our country one of the best to live in.

Australians are as generous as anyone else!

We are not accustom to "tipping" here, not because we are misers... it is because our service staff are paid a substantially far better base salary which is included in the cost of your service or product you receive. We tip all the time if you look at it closely. A much better way all round for all don't you agree?

Remember though, you can tip for exceptional service in Australia, and many do.

The difference is that when exceptional service is received here it is not falsely done in the hope of receiving a tip, it is from someone who appreciates their higher salary, working conditions and is taking pride in their occupation.

I am uncomfortable with fake "service" in the hope of receiving a tip, it just seems so false. Stop being the miser and please pay them a worthwhile salary, it is 2011!

Yesterday morning, we had breakfast in a VERY PLEASANT Surf Lifesavers club at Currumbin QLD. We could not really have given any of the service staff there a tip - even if we had wanted to. This is because you placed your order at a counter - and your meal is delivered to your table. This is all done so quickly , efficiently and pleasantly - that there is literally no time to attempt to give any of the staff a tip. And I am absolutely sure, that if you waylaid any of the staff and gave them some money after the event, they would be shocked and surprised.

BTW - Queenslands Surf Lifesaver clubs are the States best kept secret. Private clubs, all very well located on the beach - anybody who is NOT a member and does not live in the local area of the club is welcome to use the services of the Clubs. Especially for visiting foreign travellers, check them out!!!

Barry

Take a deep breath and get your facts straight... :eek:

In Australia it is against the law to expect staff to beg for money to make up for slave level salaries. I for one am very glad that we have laws such as this that make our country one of the best to live in.

Australians are as generous as anyone else!

We are not accustom to "tipping" here, not because we are misers... it is because our service staff are paid a substantially far better base salary which is included in the cost of your service or product you receive. We tip all the time if you look at it closely. A much better way all round for all don't you agree?

Remember though, you can tip for exceptional service in Australia, and many do.

The difference is that when exceptional service is received here it is not falsely done in the hope of receiving a tip, it is from someone who appreciates their higher salary, working conditions and is taking pride in their occupation.

I am uncomfortable with fake "service" in the hope of receiving a tip, it just seems so false. Stop being the miser and please pay them a worthwhile salary, it is 2011!

Well said!

Unfortunately Americans can't see it from our side of the fence. Whether it is because they get a little buzz out of handing over that extra cash each time someone does something for them, or that they are just plain brainwashed into thinking that the American way is the only way, I don't know. They should look into their labour laws and wages in particular, but it will never happen, the country couldn't afford the reform.

Yesterday morning, we had breakfast in a VERY PLEASANT Surf Lifesavers club at Currumbin QLD. We could not really have given any of the service staff there a tip - even if we had wanted to. This is because you placed your order at a counter - and your meal is delivered to your table. This is all done so quickly , efficiently and pleasantly - that there is literally no time to attempt to give any of the staff a tip. And I am absolutely sure, that if you waylaid any of the staff and gave them some money after the event, they would be shocked and surprised.

BTW - Queenslands Surf Lifesaver clubs are the States best kept secret. Private clubs, all very well located on the beach - anybody who is NOT a member and does not live in the local area of the club is welcome to use the services of the Clubs. Especially for visiting foreign travellers, check them out!!!

Barry

I agree Barry. They are much better than the RSL clubs! Most of them have views to die for! Go to Mooloolaba or Maroochydore and have a look.

Well said!

Unfortunately Americans can't see it from our side of the fence. Whether it is because they get a little buzz out of handing over that extra cash each time someone does something for them' date=' or that they are just plain brainwashed into thinking that the American way is the only way, I don't know. They should look into their labour laws and wages in particular, but it will never happen, the country couldn't afford the reform.[/quote']

If you don't lump "all" Americans together in one group, I promise not to do the same for everyone in Australia. :)

Our "labor" laws are usually by state (we have 50 of them, not 6). While I don't know how tipping got started it's the way things work here.

I plan to do things the local way while we're in Australia. Hopefully, my American accent won't make a difference in how the locals act towards me.

Australians tipping, well it took P&O Australia how many years to learn that Australians do not like to tip, and so we have none tipping cruise ships. ( but you can still tip if you wont to)

I agree Barry. They are much better than the RSL clubs! Most of them have views to die for! Go to Mooloolaba or Maroochydore and have a look.

We just had 10 nights in Qld, 5 nights at Mooloolaba - fantastic surf club there. And 5 nights at Coolangatta, fantastic surf clubs at Coolangatta, Kirra and Currumbin, went to them all for a feed.

I have been going to Qld for 30 years, got family there, I have seen the surf clubs get bigger and better, why? POKIES !

Hopefully, my American accent won't make a difference in how the locals act towards me.

Nah - you'll be OK!! :) But I can guarantee that somebody will mistake you for a Canadian:p We can't tell the difference between Canadians and Americans - the same as other nationalities can't pick between Ozzies and Kiwis (only we can do that!! :).

Barry

We were in Australia & New Zealand last year, our friends who live north of Sydney had advised us not to tip unless it was extra special service, and some folks would be insulted by us trying to tip them. That was the last thing we would want to do.

While out and about in Australia we had very nice service, but nothing exceptional, so we did not tip.

In New Zealand we had two opportunities were we were given exceptional service.

One was a tour guide who was amazing and was the best tour we have ever been on. When we asked if it would be ok to tip him, he said, “The fee you paid covered my services, but if you feel the need to honor me, for your experience today, you may make a donation to a local charity.” So we did in his name.

Second, when leaving NZ the shuttle driver, who was 15min early for our 3am pickup from our hotel to get us to the airport on time for our extra early flight, chatted with us on the way to the airport about what we were passing along the way, when we arrived at the airport and wanted to tip her for giving us such an informative drive and being early, she said, “No” I am charging you a fair price for the shuttle service. I fear we might have insulted her. $35NZ for a 45 min ride for 2, very reasonable.

We were in Australia & New Zealand last year, our friends who live north of Sydney had advised us not to tip unless it was extra special service, and some folks would be insulted by us trying to tip them. That was the last thing we would want to do.

While out and about in Australia we had very nice service, but nothing exceptional, so we did not tip.

One was a tour guide who was amazing and was the best tour we have ever been on. When we asked if it would be ok to tip him, he said, “The fee you paid covered my services, but if you feel the need to honor me, for your experience today, you may make a donation to a local charity.” So we did in his name.

Second, when leaving NZ the shuttle driver, who was 15min early for our 3am pickup from our hotel to get us to the airport on time for our extra early flight, chatted with us on the way to the airport about what we were passing along the way, when we arrived at the airport and wanted to tip her for giving us such an informative drive and being early, she said, “No” I am charging you a fair price for the shuttle service. I fear we might have insulted her. $35NZ for a 45 min ride for 2, very reasonable.

Very interesting comment, one could say the Kiwis are 'anti tipping.'

Sounds like you got good service from a tour guide and bus driver with integrity.

Great to hear stories like that.

We will be traveling to Australia in about a month. Just talked to one of my coworkers, who used to live in Australia a couple of years ago. He is advising that we should not tip in Australia--he advised that the prices already reflect in one way or another us tipping. Can anyone confirm this?

Do not start tipping in Australia and ruin it for the rest of us.

DON

Great story. Unfortunately not all kiwis in the tourism industry have quite this much integrity, but it's always nice to read about those who do.

You wouldn't have insulted the shuttle driver. She would have been flattered by your gesture. However, for future reference, don't underestimate the strength of a thank you and a nice compliment. Kiwis love verbal acknowledgement for a job well done.

We were in Australia & New Zealand last year, our friends who live north of Sydney had advised us not to tip unless it was extra special service, and some folks would be insulted by us trying to tip them. That was the last thing we would want to do..................

Tipping someone actually makes me feel very uncomfortable. It's hard to explain.......but I feel it appears as though I think I'm superior to them, when we all have our different and various skills. I like to treat people as I would like to be treated - with respect and friendship. (Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen. :rolleyes:) Having said that, on cruises, we always choose the same waiters at dinner and tip them both as well as our cabin steward. I am getting used to it now. :D:)

It is known world wide that Australians( most) are not good tippers or they do not tip at all.

Aussies don't usually tip because we're not expected to here. However, if I am travelling on a US-based cruiseship and know that tipping is required then I'm happy to do so. It's all about understanding each other's culture, no?

Tipping someone actually makes me feel very uncomfortable. It's hard to explain.......but I feel it appears as though I think I'm superior to them, when we all have our different and various skills. I like to treat people as I would like to be treated - with respect and friendship. (Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen. :rolleyes:) Having said that, on cruises, we always choose the same waiters at dinner and tip them both as well as our cabin steward. I am getting used to it now. :D:)

I agree with that Sandy.:):)

We have the tipping thread so many times and it allways ends bad.

1> in Australia we do not tip.eg ( its against the law to expect to be tipped, or we are cheap, or we have wages here and there is no need to tip)

2> on P&O Australia Australians only tip if that wont to.

3> If Australians go over sea's we normaly do as the natives do and go with the flow.

NSWP – Yes, I feel you are correct, other than the typical coffee shop or restaurant in tourist areas; Kiwi’s seemed to be anti tipping.

oskarNZ –It was the owner of the shuttle business who drove us to the airport and we thanked her for her sincerely for her service and told her how much we appreciated learning more about the communities we were driving through. She was very nice.

Sandielle – In OZ & NZ we were very uncomfortable not leaving tips at times and just saying thank you to our servers, so I can understand when its a reverse cultural thing.

~~~~~~~

Being from the US it was a strange feeling. Our friends from OZ told us to be careful and not to offend and to make sure when we were saying “Thank You” that it was a heart felt and not just a perfunctory “Thank You.” We tried our best.

Isn’t this why we all travel, to learn about other cultures? How they do things in their countries differently than ours. We LOVED our time in Australia & New Zealand, met such wonderful folks, saw amazing countryside and historical landmarks can hardly wait for our next trip down under.

Josume94 – So, I would give you the same advice others have, a heart felt “Thank You” goes a long way in the land down under. And when in a touristy area and you see tip jars out and folks giving you excellent service, tip them as you wish, approx 10% seems the norm in these areas. Enjoy yourself, drink in the amazing scenery, get to know some of the wonderful folks you will meet. And when on ship, tip as per ship guidelines, and you will have a wonderful time.

Hi Jan, yes we are all different, aren't we - the products of our upbringing, even in the same country. I neglected to say, also, I believe that when I visit another country, I should respect their culture.....and I do. (The only thing that irks me is that we are thought miserly, when we aren't. :):):))

PS I actually have an ancestor who migrated to Massachusetts in 1635. One of his descendants from Nantucket was a master mariner who married an English girl then one of their sons ended up gold-mining in Victoria before settling in Queensland.

However, sorry for my digression.......back to tipping. :D

Our friends from OZ joined us this last May for an Alaskan cruise, and they were very careful to adhear to US and Canadian custom of tipping.

It was strange for them and they did feel wierd doing it.

Their OZ countrymen would have been proud.

No miserly comments were made of them.

But, we have heard that said of folks from OZ and other countries, I just think they are not aware of our customs and why there is tipping in the US.

I am sure we make miss steps when we are visiting other countries, wish it was not true, but I am sure it is.

If you want to acknowledge great service in Aus or NZ and a tip is not the way to go (as previously outlined) lets give some suggestions for alternatives....

Mine would be to get the name of the person who you wish to acknowledge and drop a line to their employer..only takes a minute..you might help them to a promotion and I am sure it will cerrtainly enhance their standing in the eyes of their employer. I do this on cruises too..all employers like to receive feedback on good service..(makes a change from the whingers onboard). It also motivate employees to know that their efforts were noticed.

Also a smile and a genuine "thanks..you were terrific" at the end of the tour goes down very well with us.

Does anyone else have some suggestions for ways to acknowledge great service?

Sue

If you want to acknowledge great service in Aus or NZ and a tip is not the way to go (as previously outlined) lets give some suggestions for alternatives....

Mine would be to get the name of the person who you wish to acknowledge and drop a line to their employer..only takes a minute..you might help them to a promotion and I am sure it will cerrtainly enhance their standing in the eyes of their employer. I do this on cruises too..all employers like to receive feedback on good service..(makes a change from the whingers onboard). It also motivate employees to know that their efforts were noticed.

Also a smile and a genuine "thanks..you were terrific" at the end of the tour goes down very well with us.

Does anyone else have some suggestions for ways to acknowledge great service?

Sue

P&O Aust. now give out 'Proud' cards and encourage passengers to fill them in for any staff who've helped to make your cruise more enjoyable. I know the staff are happy if you fill them in for them. It goes on their record for promotion.

Archived