Wine Dinner???

gibbsgirl

We've never had that with Celebrity, but we did with Holland America, and we instigated it by working with the sommelier. The cost was $120 per person, but in my opinion, we received more value than that. It was a private dinner limited to approximately 20 people, and it spread by word of mouth via Cruise Critic passengers. Anything is possible, just ask!:)

They've had it on most, but not all, Celebrity cruises we've taken the past few years. Ask your wine steward and the Maitre d' at one of the nicer specialty restuarants on board early in the cruise. One of them will know or find out for you.

They do have a wine tasting variation of the regular menu at Muranos (different name on the M class) which includes an extra course and a wine pairing for each course as well. It is often quite nice as well but not quite like the special wine dinner they usually have only once per cruise.

I attended a Wine Dinner in 2009 on Mercury.....it was lovely.

I also know there was one on Century when I sailed her in May. I didn't

go to that one. So I do think it varies cruise to cruise. Some have it

and some don't. I would suggest asking your Maitr'd or one of the

Sommeliers about it as they are usually in the know about these

type of dinners. (Or they can find out if they don't know).

I am a Celebrity fan and seldom complain...however

We did the wine dinner on the Equinox and found it extremely disappointing. Princess Chef's dinner is spectacular wereas X's wine dinner paled in comparision. We met in the wine bar for one glass of champagne then off to sit 30 min. in Tuscan grill before the first glass of wine was poured (apparently it needed to breath). Menu not that much different than avail any time in Tuscan except this dinner included wine per course. Pourings were literally one glass per course. I was the only one having the fish choice as my main (there were only 6 diners in total) so instead of opening the proper bottle of white as listed on the menu they substituted a different wine from an already open bottle.:( ..cost was close to $100/person..we would NOT do that dinner again as it was not anything special. We did very much enjoy Tuscan later in the week..

We've done wind dinners on several cruises, most recently Equinox and Solstice. The Millennium to Alaska last month did not offer one. The Cellar Master stated it was because of too many ports and too little time. We have never had a limit to the number of pours with a course.

Mary Lou

We have attended two Wine Harvest Dinners - one on Infinity in 2009 and the other on Constellation in 2010. The first was wonderful with a specially designed menu. The second was disappointing as the menu was basically taken from the normal Ocean Liners menu. We would check what the menu was going to be before booking in future.

However, on Constellation, we also attended "Lunch with the Executive Chef" and this was a wonderful occasion which I hope will be repeated on our next cruise.

Sue

Thanks to all for your input. Guess I'll just have to check when we're on board. Would love to try it if it is available. I remember that it was offered on a Mercury cruise that we were on several years ago. That ship was much smaller than the Silhouette, so it might not be practical to offer when the passenger count is almost double.

We attended the Wine dinner on the Mercury in May 2010. There wasn't a specialty restaurant so our group, of 24 or so, was seated in an unused section of the MDR. We started with hors d'ouevres and champagne in Michael's Club and the dinner ended with vintage port. We were served wine as soon as we were seated, we were not limited to one glass of each wine, our glasses were never empty! And the food was fabulous. I hope they have a similar dinner on our next cruise!

We attended the Wine dinner on the Mercury in May 2010. There wasn't a specialty restaurant so our group, of 24 or so, was seated in an unused section of the MDR. We started with hors d'ouevres and champagne in Michael's Club and the dinner ended with vintage port. We were served wine as soon as we were seated, we were not limited to one glass of each wine, our glasses were never empty! And the food was fabulous. I hope they have a similar dinner on our next cruise!

Almost sounds like the same type of dinner I attended. I loved mine

as well:)

LOL....very good Denny;)

The problem with 'all dinners are wine dinners' is when we get back, and I look around at the dinner table, and right before I ask my wife 'where's my wine???', she'd say it stops now and drink your tea....Oh well.

We went on a wine cruise with Cruise West (gone away now) in SF bay. They'd have buses waiting for us at the various docks in the mornings and we'd head into Napa and Sonoma. We'd do the wine tour and then the taskings but heck, we started so early, we'd be sipping wines at 0930-1000. When we got back, and we were sitting at home for breakfast, I'd turn to my wife to ask, 'when's the tasking start?', but saw that cold stare of 'don't even think about it'.

Den

The problem with 'all dinners are wine dinners' is when we get back, and I look around at the dinner table, and right before I ask my wife 'where's my wine???', she'd say it stops now and drink your tea....Oh well.

We went on a wine cruise with Cruise West (gone away now) in SF bay. They'd have buses waiting for us at the various docks in the mornings and we'd head into Napa and Sonoma. We'd do the wine tour and then the taskings but heck, we started so early, we'd be sipping wines at 0930-1000. When we got back, and we were sitting at home for breakfast, I'd turn to my wife to ask, 'when's the tasking start?', but saw that cold stare of 'don't even think about it'.

Den

Hi Denny....

Not to derail this post, but had you heard that the Cruise West ships have been purchased by Allen Marine of Alaska (well-known Alaskan ship builder and respected day tour operator) and are being run as Alaskan Dream Cruises? The first 7-day cruises started in May 2011 and seem to have been successful, and are being offered again for 2012.

Hi Denny....

Not to derail this post, but had you heard that the Cruise West ships have been purchased by Allen Marine of Alaska (well-known Alaskan ship builder and respected day tour operator) and are being run as Alaskan Dream Cruises? The first 7-day cruises started in May 2011 and seem to have been successful, and are being offered again for 2012.

Don't worry about hyjacking the thread...I did that with my silly jokes and stories.

interesting. thought they had some very neat itineraries up the various rivers. Expensive, but would like to try one again sometime when I'm ready to trade in two ocean cruises for a river cruise.

Back to Wine Dinner - we are going to try one probably on our TA cruise. One of those special events. I'm afraid even with all my 'wine stories', I enjoy good inexpensive wines and not sure it wouldn't be wasted on my chugging techniques (I thought those guys spitting it out were committing sacrilege!), but want to give one a go next TA. Thanks for the info on this thread.

Den

Den

Archived