Comfortable walking shoes for Italy

Noitacav

This is just an aside, but blending in may not be a benefit, especially if you are a child. I went with my mother to Austria to visit American friends. This was right after the Sound of Music movie was released- around 1965. (I'm old!) First thing was to buy me dirndls. I had brown hair in braids. Everywhere I went people would kindly talk to me in German. I wanted to be respectful, so it was distressing not to be able to communicate.

I was so relieved when we got to London, even a Cockney accent was easier to understand.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. A tourist always looks like a tourist. One never blends in. :o

Not true. I look very Irish, I am very American. Before I spoke people would say something to my husband hear his accent and ask how he met his irish guide. Then I would speak. I have been mistaken many times. People in the Us used to ask where in Ireland I was from and then I spoke... ( I used to work in a area where a lot of Irish came for the summer to work)

I also have to say "not true". I've been addressed in German in Germany and in various Scandinavian languages in those countries (I am half Swedish by descent). Surprise was evident when I proved to be American. It's even happened in Italy, though the French see through me. ;) In many other countries, I've been mistaken for German as well.

I suppose it is for several reasons: I am often traveling alone, so they donn't hear me talking to anyone. I don't tend to dress like many traveling Americans (jeans, tennis shoes, athletic-type clothing), and I also don't tend to look like a tourist (I try not to walk around with a map or guidebook and my camera is in my purse).

I have good luck with Merrells, Eccos, and Eastland brand shoes. I also have some super comfy Columbia sandals that I wear all the time in the summer.

I find that my feet do not tolerate "cheap" shoes anymore. I need good support in a well-made shoe and if I have to pay a little more for that, well it is worth it to me. ;)

*I have also been mistaken for a "local" in France... which made me --> :D

• 2 months later...

I went looking for shoes/sandals yesterday. There are so many choices:):eek:. I have always liked Clarks and

was trying to find something lightweight but supportive. Going on my first cruise to the Med in May:)

Do you any of you bring both, walking shoes and a pair of walking sandals??

I didn't find anything but did try on a pair of Merrell's...they are black

and cover the whole foot, instead of laceups they have a zipper where

the laces would be. They are black. I have worn Merrell's before

as well. They are sort of a mesh but the footbed is cushiony and they

feel good on the foot. I was thinking of getting something like that

and a sandal. Walking around Greece, Rome, etc...not sure if I should

give myself 2 choices or not. I don't bring alot of shoes (just to be

clear) LOL

Thoughts? Oh, I aslo tried on some Tevas....they have support too....

not the water shoes but they seem to have expanded their sandal

inventory!

Oh this is a picture of the Merrell shoes from Zappos....DSW has them for 20.00 less.

http://www.zappos.com/multiview/7710889/3

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-lorelei-zip-black

Just got back from Rome. Had problems walking Rome wearing a pair of Clarks with a slight heel, feet twisted and felt every cobblestone. Had no problems wearing these shoes on the smooth streets and sidewalks of the Monteverde Vecchio neighborhood. Almost killed myself going down the hill to Trastevere. Thankfully I had a pair of flat Eccos with me.

This shoe has the heel/sole I had problems with-

http://www.shoebuy.com/clarks-may-poppy/478517/1012542

Just got back from Rome. Had problems walking Rome wearing a pair of Clarks with a slight heel, feet twisted and felt every cobblestone. Had no problems wearing these shoes on the smooth streets and sidewalks of Manhattan. Thankfully I had a pair of flat Eccos with me.

This shoe has the heel/sole I had problems with-

http://www.shoebuy.com/clarks-may-poppy/478517/1012542

Hi Sadie, thanks for the picture:) they are cute but would not be

my choice for walking. Glad you had your Ecco's:D

Yes. For our Black Sea cruise in Sept, I brought a pair of goretex hiking shoes, teva hiking sandals (with a closed toe), and black leather Dansko walking sandals. I rotated (keeps my feet happy) based on the conditions I expected to encounter on shore.

D'oh- I repeated myself. Made this same statement back in September when this thread was first posted ;-)

Yes. For our Black Sea cruise in Sept, I brought a pair of goretex hiking shoes, teva hiking sandals (with a closed toe), and black leather Dansko walking sandals. I rotated (keeps my feet happy) based on the conditions I expected to encounter on shore.

D'oh- I repeated myself. Made this same statement back in September when this thread was first posted ;-)

Hi stranger:) repeating yourself is ok.:D..I started another thread about

my trip too but figured when this one came up on my "search" I would

ask again;)

I went looking for shoes/sandals yesterday. There are so many choices:):eek:. I have always liked Clarks and

was trying to find something lightweight but supportive. Going on my first cruise to the Med in May:)

I didn't find anything but did try on a pair of Merrell's...they are black

and cover the whole foot, instead of laceups they have a zipper where

the laces would be. They are black. I have worn Merrell's before

as well. They are sort of a mesh but the footbed is cushiony and they

feel good on the foot. I was thinking of getting something like that

and a sandal. Walking around Greece, Rome, etc...not sure if I should

give myself 2 choices or not. I don't bring alot of shoes (just to be

clear) LOL

Thoughts? Oh, I aslo tried on some Tevas....they have support too....

not the water shoes but they seem to have expanded their sandal

inventory!

Oh this is a picture of the Merrell shoes from Zappos....DSW has them for 20.00 less.

http://www.zappos.com/multiview/7710889/3

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-lorelei-zip-black

Hi Lois,

I always take two pairs of walking shoes or sandals. Sometimes one pair isn't as comfortable as you think they will be, or they rub your foot somewhere, or they get wet.... So it's always good to have two pair. I've also read that it's better for your feet not to wear the same pair of shoes every single day.

As to sandals versus shoes, I'd say whatever works. Sandals aren't my thing, but some of the walking sandals look very sturdy and supportive. I'd just look for some (like Keen) that have a lip that protects your toes. There are a lot of rocky ruins and city streets with cobblestones and sidewalk step-ups where it's quite easy to stub your toe badly.

Hi, :)I live in Florida too but thongs won't do it for me when I am walking

around Rome, Athens, etc. I am not a walker here at home so going

on all day excursions? I prefer something more supportive.

Hi Lois,

I always take two pairs of walking shoes or sandals. Sometimes one pair isn't as comfortable as you think they will be, or they rub your foot somewhere, or they get wet.... So it's always good to have two pair. I've also read that it's better for your feet not to wear the same pair of shoes every single day.

As to sandals versus shoes, I'd say whatever works. Sandals aren't my thing, but some of the walking sandals look very sturdy and supportive. I'd just look for some (like Keen) that have a lip that protects your toes. There are a lot of rocky ruins and city streets with cobblestones and sidewalk step-ups where it's quite easy to stub your toe badly.

Hey there:)...that is a bit of what I thought too...now I just have

2 pairs that will work for me;) I do not want anything heavy if that

makes sense..but I do want to feel comfort. I have 2 pair of Skecher's,

one is a slide (a mule) closed toe open back and the other is pair

I got for Alaska....they are a lace up style. I only mentioned them

because I really love the way they feel on my feet:D. There is a

Skecher's store in the mall near me and so I am going there after

work tomorrow to see what they have to offer. Something cute

in a closed shoe and and I will see what sandals they have as well.

Thanks for the input:)

Hi Lois, My vote goes for Merrill; I have taken them to the med on all of my cruises and they never let me down. Dr Oz wears them after all....Another comfortable shoe that provides some support and is somewhat hip are the Keens which are waterproof. DSW carries those as well. Happy shopping!!! I am considering Australia on the Solstice-wanna go?

:)

Hi Lois, My vote goes for Merrill; I have taken them to the med on all of my cruises and they never let me down. Dr Oz wears them after all....Another comfortable shoe that provides some support and is somewhat hip are the Keens which are waterproof. DSW carries those as well. Happy shopping!!! I am considering Australia on the Solstice-wanna go?

:)

OMG....I wish I could. Australia is a dream trip for me. I have wanted to

go downunder before it even became "the place to visit"........it is on

my bucketlist:eek:

My feet get really swollen with the heat so I purchased a nice pair of sandals with an ankle strap and a good strap support across my toes...I had them resoled with rubber grip...perfect...walked around Italy, Greece and Turkey...they were leather and canvas so when my feet got hot I just ran them under a tap...dried quickly and still looked good....I will be wearing them again when we travel to Asia this year:D

http://shop.countryroad.com.au/#page=/Shop/Womenswear/Footwear.htm&product=/Shop/Womenswear/Footwear/WOE00888/Alexa-Colour-Block-Sandal.html

Think outside the square and have good rubber grip put on to an elegant sandal:)

My feet get really swollen with the heat so I purchased a nice pair of sandals with an ankle strap and a good strap support across my toes...I had them resoled with rubber grip...perfect...walked around Italy, Greece and Turkey...they were leather and canvas so when my feet got hot I just ran them under a tap...dried quickly and still looked good....I will be wearing them again when we travel to Asia this year:D

http://shop.countryroad.com.au/#page=/Shop/Womenswear/Footwear.htm&product=/Shop/Womenswear/Footwear/WOE00888/Alexa-Colour-Block-Sandal.html

Think outside the square and have good rubber grip put on to an elegant sandal:)

Hi,:) cute shoes but I definitely don't want a strap that far up around

my ankle. Some of those flats are pretty too.

Hi Lois, I'm not going to recommend a shoe, well because it sounds like you've found some that work for you. I'd definitely second the idea of bringing two pairs, hopefully broken in a bit. The other thing that helped me a lot was the band aid brand blister blockers, I kept a small supply of them in my bag, & if I even suspected my shoe was beginning to rub the back of my ankle, I'd put one on.

You can even put one on ahead of time, & they'll stay on for days, even through showers & swimming. They're a kind of gel like band aid that seals off an area.

There's also the blister block sticks, kind of like a chapstick, but for your toes, really works well.

Have fun with your planning!

Hi,:) cute shoes but I definitely don't want a strap that far up around

my ankle. Some of those flats are pretty too.

The strap is not that high...but high enough not to roll your ankle on the cobblestones...I have a shocking sense of balance:eek::)

Hi, I found a pair of sandals today:D They are Marrell's and they

have a name you cannot forget.....AGAVE...yes, like the AGAVE plant

that makes Tequilla;)

Here is a photo of them from Zappos.....I got them locally and they feel

VERY GOOD on the foot:) Oh, I got them in brown.

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-agave-navy?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_cross

Now I need to find a pair of shoes too.:)

Lois, love your Merrell's and your feet are going to be sooo happy!! I like the brown but I also like the navy-I just might order it!! Where did you find them in Florida? I'm down there a lot. :D

Thanks:) there is a Merrell store now at the St. Augustine Outlet

Mall, located on I-95 on the westside of the street. (The stores

are all outside). Now, these were not "Outlet Priced" but they did

have alot of shoes on sale and a good clearance rack too.

I knew I would spending a bit more than I normally do for these but

it is worth it to me;)

Archived