End of Coffee Card as we know it!

casavaha

The intent was never to provide unlimited brewed coffee over multiple cruise. As is their wont, Princess did a lousy job of communicating to their staff and thus the informal policy of 'sure!' became a de facto fleet response (this was specifically mentioned on a shareholder call about 3 quarters ago in response to a question). Of course, they didn't put it that way, but that was the general gist.

Please note the 'official' description of the card, with my emphasis in bold...

"Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise." While never enforced, this has been the description for quite a while. (Source page: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp)

"For those complaining that they were ripped off or lost money, understand you were taking advantage of a loophole in the rules (as regards brewed coffee)."

What "loophole" in the rules. Princess established the idea of one price for 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed coffees as long as there were punches on the card. Where is the loophole? This was the understanding when I bought the card. I even asked the person selling me the card, A Princess staff member, if it was good on other cruises. She said YES IT WAS GOOD AS LONG AS A PUNCH WAS STILL AVAILABLE. So again where is the loophole?

That's why I specifically noted as regards brewed coffee. My post when into some detail on what I expect to happen as regards specialty coffees.

quote=azseas;30754332]How am I taking advantage? I bought the punches and could not use them all. I do NOT use my card for brewed coffee. I did purchase XX number of speciality coffees with no expiration timeframe.

It makes sense to me that each card is good for that cruise only. Did someone actually think that they could get unlimited regular coffee on a cruise for the rest of their lives?...even if the specialty coffees weren't punched.

If someone could please scan one of their older coffee cards and show me where it says they are good forever I would appreciate it. ;) (joking) But honestly, how do you PROVE you were TOLD they didn't expire if there is no wording on the card itself stating that fact?

I am sure Princess will find a way to take care of these older cards, although I know that those with multiple cards will not be happy with it. But since there were so many 'two for one coupons' out there, they would not be able to refund the cost of each coffee card in your possession, think of all those that only bought one and got the second one free (that would be pushing for a refund for all of them at the same price. Do you actually think passengers would be honest about this one?). Keep in mind, they try to keep the masses of passengers happy, and if a few aren't, they really could care less. You can't make all of the people happy all of the time.;)

If it doesn't have an expiration date,it lasts forever.Everything I get that is meant to expire has an expiration date.

Really?

One who is willing to pay a couple of thousands of dollars to go on a cruise - plus all the side expenses - and they let their underpants get wadded up because of losing a couple of dollars on a coffee card which shouldn't have been honored after the end of their cruise in the first place? How about considering all the times it was honored they got extra value was added to it?

This isn't an additional charge - it's playing by the rules. I'm continually baffled by people who when they get nabbed for circumventing policy, they think it's not their own fault.

:rolleyes:

I told you more changes were coming. We don't drink enough coffee anymore to worry about this change, but may people do.

It makes sense to me that each card is good for that cruise only. Did someone actually think that they could get unlimited regular coffee on a cruise for the rest of their lives?...even if the specialty coffees weren't punched.

It does seem to be beyond reasonable expectations to think that one could buy free brewed coffee for life for <$30. That said, how many "second" cards has Princess sold to people on board who "punched through" their first card mid-way or almost at the end of the cruise with the promise that they could hold on to the card and use it on their next cruise? I'd be pretty peeved if I bought a second card on day 6 of a 7 day cruise on the advice of a crew member who told me that it would be good on future cruises. Allowing those cards to be used until 12/31/2011 is not much of a solution when many people space their cruises out so far into the future.

Really?

One who is willing to pay a couple of thousands of dollars to go on a cruise - plus all the side expenses - and they let their underpants get wadded up because of losing a couple of dollars on a coffee card which shouldn't have been honored after the end of your cruise in the first place? How about considering all the times it was honored that extra value was added to it?

This isn't an additional charge - it's playing by the rules. I'm continually baffled by people who think they should get everything for nothing.

Just an FYI. Everytime I used the card for a cup of coffee I also left a $1 tip. Any problems with that, and why should I just toss $150 plus 15% worth of cards into the sea that I purchased with the understanding they could be carried from ship to ship??????

How am I circumventing policy when there was no policy when I purchased them?? I don't understand your math?

Really?

One who is willing to pay a couple of thousands of dollars to go on a cruise - plus all the side expenses - and they let their underpants get wadded up because of losing a couple of dollars on a coffee card which shouldn't have been honored after the end of their cruise in the first place? How about considering all the times it was honored they got extra value was added to it?

This isn't an additional charge - it's playing by the rules. I'm continually baffled by people who when they get nabbed for circumventing policy, they think it's not their own fault.

All I ask when I spends thousands on a cruise is coffee that is actually drinkable,like every restaurant I have ever been in!

Just a note to remind y'all that the gratuity was included in the original coffee card purchase. And the staff is dependent on the gratuities, so if one is carried over one to another cruise ad infinitum, no one is getting any gratuities beyond the first purchase unless some generous souls are handing out a bit extra.......

We've used the coffee cards, have not overused and have now taken to carrying our little "coffee sticks" with us as we didn't find the brewed coffee to be very good anyway.

It's quite easy to go to the Horizon Court and get hot water for the "sticks" or to take them to breakfast and just ask for hot water.

Just my two cents worth..........:p

If it doesn't have an expiration date,it lasts forever.Everything I get that is meant to expire has an expiration date.

Good Luck on that one. Did you read the post of what the coffee card actually is good for?

"Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise." (Source page: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboar...lars/index.jsp)

I think that kind of gives it an expiration date if you try to use an old card that no longer looks the same. Just because it hasn't been enforced before does not mean they don't have the option of enforcing it now. ;)

Good Luck on that one. Did you read the post of what the coffee card actually is good for?

"Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise." (Source page: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboar...lars/index.jsp)

I think that kind of gives it an expiration date if you try to use an old card that no longer looks the same. Just because it hasn't been enforced before does not mean they don't have the option of enforcing it now. ;)

So you are telling me I should just toss my $150 worth of cards over the rail. Sorry TOTO, If they deny refunding my money, as I said, there will be a lot of yelling at the PSD desk.

BTW - that wording has changed since they started charging $31 instead of $24.

I think Princess should exchange the unused cards for a new one on the ship you join I purchased two new cards with the last of my on board credit at my last cruise but do not have a new cruise booked until Jan 2013 Princess should therefore exchange these two cards for cards on The Grand Princess in Jan 2013 or as mentioned it would have been false advertising.

We like our latte coffee and this is why we purchase the cards not for loads of freebies.:confused:

I think Princess should exchange the unused cards for a new one on the ship you join I purchased two new cards with the last of my on board credit at my last cruise but do not have a new cruise booked until Jan 2013 Princess should therefore exchange these two cards for cards on The Grand Princess in Jan 2013 or as mentioned it would have been false advertising.

We like our latte coffee and this is why we purchase the cards not for loads of freebies.:confused:

While I have no way of knowing, I would be shocked if unused punches aren't rolled over into a new card with definitive expiration rules. I think it is the "free brewed coffee for life" by holding back a single punch that is under attack. This solution would take care of betterthanworking's issue. And I hardly think that there will be too many people raising a ruckus at guests services over not being able to get unlimited brewed coffee because they still have an unused punch from 2007.

So you are telling me I should just toss my $150 worth of cards over the rail. Sorry TOTO, If they deny refunding my money, as I said, there will be a lot of yelling at the PSD desk.

BTW - that wording has changed since they started charging $31 instead of $24.

I don't think they will make you 'eat' your cards at all. I am sure they will come up with a solution for you. Just don't expect the full value of the cards to be refunded since so many were sold as 2 for the price of 1. ;)

But you might want to warn those on your next cruise after 2012 to bring along ear plugs if they are near the PSD. :D Remember, there are times when yelling will get you nothing, but explaining and talking will do a whole lot more. Best of luck with this one! ;)

The one time I had a two4one coupon I got the two coupons, didn't need them on that cruise, so brought them home and tucked them away in a safe place. Where? I have no idea! And I almost never lose anything. So when I board the Ruby in 10 days guess I'll buy a new one. Am also taking along my French press cup and a bag of Starbucks. Maybe next time I"ll try the little tubes.

Kudos to you for leaving a $1 tip every time you used the card - I'm sure your server was pleased and no, I have no problem with that...but I didn't think that was part of this discussion. I don't think you should toss your cards into the sea - I'm not in favor of tossing anything overboard as it could be an environmental hazard. The policy you're circumventing is the one Toto quoted about the card being good for the duration of your cruise and you don't need math to figure that out.

You are well within your right to let Princess have it for in effect stealing $150 from you - and if Princess is worth it's salt, it will take your complaint and use it as a way to improve their policies and business so that passengers can no longer abuse them. Best of luck.

Just an FYI. Everytime I used the card for a cup of coffee I also left a $1 tip. Any problems with that, and why should I just toss $150 plus 15% worth of cards into the sea that I purchased with the understanding they could be carried from ship to ship??????

How am I circumventing policy when there was no policy when I purchased them?? I don't understand your math?

I agree - but that's another thread.

All I ask when I spends thousands on a cruise is coffee that is actually drinkable,like every restaurant I have ever been in!

I am looking at two different coffee cards,one is called King of Cups and the other is Ace of Latte.The back of both cards reads:Congratulations on purchasing your Premium Coffee Card.Present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and your server will punch a hole into one of the crowns.I really don't care what they changed on their website as the agreement I made is spelled out on the six cards I bought!You can't change the rules in the middle of the game.I paid them in good faith and they accepted my payment and I expect to get what I paid for!

I am looking at two different coffee cards,one is called King of Cups and the other is Ace of Latte.The back of both cards reads:Congratulations on purchasing your Premium Coffee Card.Present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and your server will punch a hole into one of the crowns.I really don't care what they changed on their website as the agreement I made is spelled out on the six cards I bought!You can't change the rules in the middle of the game.I paid them in good faith and they accepted my payment and I expect to get what I paid for!

Thank you John. I have six of the same cards that have never been used. I did not intend to use them until I had used all the specialty punches on the others I have. When I run out of punches I throw the card away and start a new one - and as I mentioned - when I get a "free" coffee I always leave a $1 tip.

Thank you John. I have six of the same cards that have never been used. I did not intend to use them until I had used all the specialty punches on the others I have. When I run out of punches I throw the card away and start a new one - and as I mentioned - when I get a "free" coffee I always leave a $1 tip.

Actually,it's not free coffee,as you paid for potable coffee in your cruise fare,and Princess does not provide that except with the fresh brewed.We like a brewed coffee or latte each morning and toss the card when it is fully punched.Just asking for what I paid for.

We are on the Golden and I was just getting a cup of coffee, when the server told me

my card would be no good after Jan, 2012.

I will be on the Golden to Hawaii for Christmas, so I hope my card will still be good

till the end of the cruise.

The new cards will have the name of the ship and the cruise #. So you will only be

able to use the card for that cruise.

We did not talk price but I am sure it will not go lower.

Greg

Aboard the Golden Princess off the coast of California.

Ya know ... the server said this, the staff member said that, we were told it's a sure thing, he said it would never end ..

All this speculation and not a word from Princess. Just an observation ... :rolleyes:

Archived