End of Coffee Card as we know it!

casavaha

Um - you totally misunderstand...and I think you've made a wild leap at a conclusion that was in no way alluded to.

Thank you...

Here is your post

One who is willing to pay a couple of thousands of dollars to go on a cruise - plus all the side expenses - and they let their underpants get wadded up because of losing a couple of dollars on a coffee card which shouldn't have been honored after the end of their cruise in the first place? How about considering all the times it was honored they got extra value was added to it?

This isn't an additional charge - it's playing by the rules. I'm continually baffled by people who when they get nabbed for circumventing policy, they think it's not their own fault.

It certainly sounds like you feel it is a loss of pocket change if not honored - thus thow it overboard!!

Well, I've seen the word 'fraud' and threats to stop sailing Princess and several other rather harsh comments. So, I will leave all of that alone and just say one things --- try the coffee in Horizon or MDR. It was actually very good last month on the CB. I was amazed because last year it was undrinkable.

OK, I will say one more thing, on several other cruise lines, like HAL, they give you free cappuchino and espresso at dinner. All of the rest of the time, you pay for it. One drink at a time. I don't recall a coffee card on HAL. I drank regular coffee in the Lido for breakfast and it was fine.

Unfortunately, it appears that my coffee cards will become relics, as my next Princess cruise isn't for 13 months. Oh well. Wonder if it's worth it to book a quick 7 day just to use the cards?

Back now to your regular scheduled programming.

Maureen

Oh dear we have just got off the Grand and bought a new card only used 1 click not cruising again until Feb 2012 hope they let us use it up, :confused:

Just curious, since you just bought a new card does say anywhere on the new one about an expiration date ?..

If not, it seems to me since Princess has had the entire year since the last BOGO coupon was used in which to clearly mark the new cards with the current cruise expiration date, if it isn't marked than Princess is clearly still happy with the Never Expire formula and the profitabilty of the current price and duration.

Srpilo

Here is your post

One who is willing to pay a couple of thousands of dollars to go on a cruise - plus all the side expenses - and they let their underpants get wadded up because of losing a couple of dollars on a coffee card which shouldn't have been honored after the end of their cruise in the first place? How about considering all the times it was honored they got extra value was added to it?

This isn't an additional charge - it's playing by the rules. I'm continually baffled by people who when they get nabbed for circumventing policy, they think it's not their own fault.

It certainly sounds like you feel it is a loss of pocket change if not honored - thus thow it overboard!!

Thank you Betterthanworking ;)

The problem for Princess seems to be about the forever unlimited brewed coffee. In that case, why not just let us use our current coffee cards with no expiration date for specialty drinks - one drink, one punch - and just eliminate the unlimited brewed coffee feature of the program.

It would be unfair for us to have to exchange a coffee card with fifteen punches for a card that would only be good for one cruise, especially a seven day cruise.

That was another option I saw, separate the brewed coffee from the specialties. Hadn't heard much about it.

The problem for Princess seems to be about the forever unlimited brewed coffee. In that case, why not just let us use our current coffee cards with no expiration date for specialty drinks - one drink, one punch - and just eliminate the unlimited brewed coffee feature of the program.

It would be unfair for us to have to exchange a coffee card with fifteen punches for a card that would only be good for one cruise, especially a seven day cruise.

Logic would tell anyone who thought about it for more than two minutes that offering a card for unlimited brewed coffee for an infinite period of time when there is a charge for each cup of that coffee without the card doesn't make any business sense.

It's really the same as a soda sticker. There isn't an expiration date on that either nor is there anything that says you can't use it to get soda for everyone in your group. Yet doing both is abusing the intent of the soda sticker.

All this reminds me of Jean Kerr's famous book (which was also made into a movie), "Please Don't Eat the Daisies."

We didn't buy the card for the brewed coffee, we bought it for the Lattes...I didn't even know the brewed was free when we bought it and didn't remember that it was until this discussion...I/we didn't abuse anything...if we did get a cup of brewed coffee for free, I don't even remember...but we always left a tip anyway.

Agree 1000% with this.

I agree with NuGal's comment wholeheartedly. I have only ever used them for lattes or hot chocolate and don't bother with the brewed. They should allow us to use any unexpired coffee card punches for those and like now, buy a new one when it is used up. I guess Princess (if they go through with it) are making the speciality coffee drinkers pay for the brewed coffee drinkers excesses.

What I don't get is why folks feel like they have to question others about why they did this or that. "Why on earth would you buy $150 worth of coffee cards"? I guess the answer is, because they wanted to, and were told they could use it until it was done.

Why on earth would anyone buy a soda card? A suite? An inside cabin? A Balcony cabin? A mini on the Dolphin deck? A Princess tour? Ultimate ship tour? Chef's Table? Why why why?

Because they wanted to...that's why!! Folks can buy, not buy, book or not book based on their wants and needs...why do we have to question it?? :confused::rolleyes::eek:

Because they wanted to...that's why!! Folks can buy, not buy, book or not book based on their wants and needs...why do we have to question it??

Well, thanks for the shouting and all... based on that, it appears you think there's no reasonable answer to that question.

I once asked a lady at the Taco Bell why she bought a large, since she was dining in. I told her refills are free and she'd save money. Her reply was, "well, I refill it when I go, dear... so I get more to take home." Well, that never had occurred to me. It doesn't apply to me, as I don't drink enough soda to bother taking it home, but it was definitely a different way of looking at it and now I know why some people pay more for a larger "keep refilling" soda.

So, it's like that. What am I missing? What is the benefit you are getting that may work for me?

And, isn't that why we are here?:rolleyes:

Well, thanks for the shouting and all... based on that, it appears you think there's no reasonable answer to that question.

I once asked a lady at the Taco Bell why she bought a large, since she was dining in. I told her refills are free and she'd save money. Her reply was, "well, I refill it when I go, dear... so I get more to take home." Well, that never had occurred to me. It doesn't apply to me, as I don't drink enough soda to bother taking it home, but it was definitely a different way of looking at it and now I know why some people pay more for a larger "keep refilling" soda.

So, it's like that. What am I missing? What is the benefit you are getting that may work for me?

And, isn't that why we are here?:rolleyes:

Of course here to share ideas and ask questions...but it just seemed that they were asking questions in an accusing way and many were saying how people were abusing the coffee cards. It just seems to me that people bought them in good faith and now a change seems to be coming and maybe they feel duped.

BTW, I wasn't shouting...just saying...

Just off the Crown...I was told by the Barista when I used up my old card that no punches were required to be on the card for coffee, tea, hot cholocate any more....I asked her to toss it when it was all punched and she said, no save it to use....so that was a twist for me. Always heard of the one punch left idea.

So this new twist will be interesting...they were still telling everyone the cards would be good anytime on any ship when I bought my new one a couple weeks ago.....I feel for the crew that will have to deal with many disgruntled passengers over this change...:(

Just off the Crown...I was told by the Barista when I used up my old card that no punches were required to be on the card for coffee, tea, hot cholocate any more....I asked her to toss it when it was all punched and she said, no save it to use....so that was a twist for me. Always heard of the one punch left idea.

So this new twist will be interesting...they were still telling everyone the cards would be good anytime on any ship when I bought my new one a couple weeks ago.....I feel for the crew that will have to deal with many disgruntled passengers over this change...:(

Did she mean that you could get coffee, hot chocolate for free (without a card)

Or did she mean that you had to have the card, but it didn't matter that there were no punches left?

I only use the card several times per cruise for the specialty coffee. However I used it every day for my large morning coffee. So my card did last me for several cruises.

Will Princess offer different cards, ie 5, 10, 15 punches for speciality coffee? If not, I won't be purchasing a coffee card because I don't drink 15 speciality coffees per cruise. I'll simply purchase my large brewed coffee each morning. Hopefully the price will remain $1 and not increase to $3

For me the biggest issue will be having to wait for the barista to swipe the card and write up the charge. With the coffee card, I could simply show it and while they were waiting for the expresso to brew they would pour my coffee and I'd be on my way. Usually by the 3rd day, I was a "regular" and they would go ahead and pour my coffe when they saw me coming, no wait at all. Now I'll probably have to wait until they finish with all of the customers in front of me.

What I don't get is why folks feel like they have to question others about why they did this or that. "Why on earth would you buy $150 worth of coffee cards"? I guess the answer is, because they wanted to, and were told they could use it until it was done.

Why on earth would anyone buy a soda card? A suite? An inside cabin? A Balcony cabin? A mini on the Dolphin deck? A Princess tour? Ultimate ship tour? Chef's Table? Why why why?

Because they wanted to...that's why!! Folks can buy, not buy, book or not book based on their wants and needs...why do we have to question it?? :confused::rolleyes::eek:

Thanks suzyed - I think I explained it three or four times yet the same folks kept asking why I bought them.????? Think about it - I bought them with a BOGO coupon so they cost me $12 each plus tip. They are now selling for $31. It's like buying CCL stock at $18 and now it is worth $32. Unless the Company goes bankrupt they should refund me $31 plus tip for all my cards if I cannot us them.

And for those people that say I should just take it in stride please send me a check for ($31 + 15%) x 6 and I will mail you the cards postage free.

This thread has taken on a life of its own! So much assuming and speculating going on. Princess has made no announcement and already people are worrying about the what ifs and making threats. I have every confidence that IF there is a change in the coffee card Princess will find a way to satisfy the current card holders.

I've run a small retail service business for over 40 years. The one thing I've learn is you never offer something forever without limits. It was a poor business plan without an exit. That said they really need to honor punches for specialty coffee. I can live without the brewed but we only use 4 - 6 punches per cruise. Just bought a new card in Feb with two punches. If I'm told it's no longer good I will not be happy.

I've learn it not the big blunders you make in business but the little ones that show your true character. I hope they step up and do the right thing.

framer

For what it's worth, I emailed Princess and received a reply that there will be new cards coming out. The free coffee will only be available for the sailing you are on. If the card still has punches left, it can be used on future sailings. Old cards already purchased will be honored for specialty coffee purchases.

If true, sounds fair.....

Archived