Room Service off main dining room menu

jff50

I'm going on my first HAL cruise this December, after about 35 on other lines. We are in a balcony room. I have heard that HAL allows you to order room service off the main dining room menu. Is that true? How does it work? How do you know what is on the main dining room menu for that night, unless you go by the main dining room to find out? How long does it take to have it delivered? Do they deliver it all at once? Is it reasonably hot? Is it a pleasant experience? Any other comments?

I seriously doubt that we would partake of this, but it's nice to know what is available (and how it works).

I'm going on my first HAL cruise this December, after about 35 on other lines. We are in a balcony room. I have heard that HAL allows you to order room service off the main dining room menu. Is that true? Yes. How does it work? Pick up the phone and dial Room Service and tell them what you want. How do you know what is on the main dining room menu for that night, unless you go by the main dining room to find out? There may be a TV channel with that information I can't remember. We always get a menu because of my food issues. Yes, you can also go look. How long does it take to have it delivered? They ask that you order by 7, though we have done it later around 8. If ordered during the dinner time it takes 30 to 45 minutes usually. We have ordered around 5 with a delievery time at say 7 and that has worked well also. Do they deliver it all at once? Usually unless you order something like ice cream, then we have received it later. Though we normally order it to come all at the same time...less hassel. Is it reasonably hot? Yes, it has always been hot if hot or cold if cold. Is it a pleasant experience? Yes, we get tired of beng "up" for dinner every night, especially if our cruise is 3 weeks or more. On our recent 2 week cruise we had 3 RS dinners. We had movies we wanted to watch...love the RS dinners as a nice break. Any other comments? Not all Mass Market lines allow you to order from the MDR menu for dinner...this is a nice perk on HAL and they do it well.

I seriously doubt that we would partake of this, but it's nice to know what is available (and how it works).

To each his own, but we enjoy dinner and a show in our cabin once or twice a week. Some days, if we have been ashore all day, it is nice just to eat lounging around in the room. Just call when finished and they will pick up all the stuff.

The dinner menu is posted outside the dining room -- starting around Noon.

You can also see the dining room menu in all bars/lounges.

Lately each ship has had different rules about ordering. Some say that you have to order within the first hour of the dining room opening (Open Seating opens at 5:15) -- and you can select what time you want it delivered. Friends of ours were on the Noordam last winter and that ship would not let you order until 6 PM.

Everything is delivered at once.

Lately each ship has had different rules about ordering. Some say that you have to order within the first hour of the dining room opening (Open Seating opens at 5:15) -- and you can select what time you want it delivered. Friends of ours were on the Noordam last winter and that ship would not let you order until 6 PM.

Is the time to place an order consistent throughout an entire cruise or does it change depending on port day vs. sea day? Will this information be in the daily newsletter or do you call room service to find out ordering times?

Thanks!

Carol

I'm going on my first HAL cruise this December, after about 35 on other lines. We are in a balcony room. I have heard that HAL allows you to order room service off the main dining room menu. Is that true? How does it work? How do you know what is on the main dining room menu for that night, unless you go by the main dining room to find out? How long does it take to have it delivered? Do they deliver it all at once? Is it reasonably hot? Is it a pleasant experience? Any other comments?

It is a very pleasant experience, esp if one or both of you is tired, or just not feeling "up". The hot food is hot, the cold food is cold. We did it one evening in Alaska -- what a treat. Very relaxing. Next cruise DH and I take, I intend to do this for at least one dinner. (As an aside, room service from the MDR menu is available to all cabin categories -- we were in an OV in Alaska)

I remember seeing a menu every afternoon during our last Alaska HAL cruise, but I am thinking I only saw it in my parents' deluxe verandah suite. Is that one of the perks of the Deluxe Vernadah Suites that they get a copy of the dining room menu each day? I loved looking at it in the afternoon and deciding what I was going to order before we even went to the dining room. :D

I remember seeing a menu every afternoon during our last Alaska HAL cruise, but I am thinking I only saw it in my parents' deluxe verandah suite. Is that one of the perks of the Deluxe Vernadah Suites that they get a copy of the dining room menu each day? I loved looking at it in the afternoon and deciding what I was going to order before we even went to the dining room. :D

Yes that is one of the Deluxe suite perks. When I introduced DH to cruising, I made sure he knew that one thing we had to do every day was check the dinner menu outside the MDR. It's been a tradition for me since I started cruising. That got the big "rolling eyes" from him :) Next cruise DH and I were on, he was the one leading the way to the MDR to check the dinner menu :) It's the simple things that are entertaining, y'know?

we had a late day in St. Petersburg, so we pre-ordered our dinner from the daily menu of daily offerings. we were in a deluxe suite, and we did take advantage of using our concierge in the Neptune Lounge, but any pax can use this menu , and be quite satisfied. We very much enjoyed having dinner in our bathrobes, after a short nap, very decadent.

Marilyn

This is a great item that HAL offers and can be very nice in certain situations. We did it once while sailing out of Vancouver and we were able to really enjoy the scenery as we dined. Also is a great option if one of the party is "under the weather".

DaveOKC

This is excellent information. DW and I will be on only our second cruise in Dec and I'm sure we'll avail ourselves of this HAL service at least once. It'd be nice to have a meal on the verandah :)

It will be a great experience to do it once or twice during your cruise. You should tip the porter a few $$

CowPrincess, you made me smile...checking that menu IS one of those lovely little pleasures of being on a cruise. The happy little space capsule routine you fall into...things that keep you coming back.

Part of that warm glow of being looked after before you return to reality back home...where you not only have to go buy groceries but cook the darn dinner and clean it all up!

And there's no menu posted anywhere. It's very sad.

CowPrincess, you made me smile...checking that menu IS one of those lovely little pleasures of being on a cruise. The happy little space capsule routine you fall into...things that keep you coming back.

Part of that warm glow of being looked after before you return to reality back home...where you not only have to go buy groceries but cook the darn dinner and clean it all up!

And there's no menu posted anywhere. It's very sad.

We feel the same way! Just love to check out the menu and order room service dinner at least once on a cruise. Something decadent/relaxing/romantic about it. :D

Deluxe Suite passengers may order meals for four. It's not a problem at all. The Neptune Lounge can do this for you, which is nice because you don't need to remember the time. Be sure to order bread and butter, salt and pepper, and water if you'd like it. Sometimes it will come even if you don't ask, sometimes not.

sorry KK typing at the same time

DH and I will be on the Rotterdam in a Deluxe Suite for the first time next month, but our friends will be "stuck" ;) in a Verandah. Is room service for 4 allowed in our cabin, or is that asking too much?

Why not pre-order from the menu.... give your requests to the concierge early in the day and tell her what time you would like dinner delivered. If the weather is favourable ask her to arrange for the table on the balcony to be set for dinner... easily seats four. Pre-order yourr wines etc etc and enjoy the evening!

stephen

Why not pre-order from the menu.... give your requests to the concierge early in the day and tell her what time you would like dinner delivered. If the weather is favourable ask her to arrange for the table on the balcony to be set for dinner... easily seats four. Pre-order yourr wines etc etc and enjoy the evening!

stephen

Oooooo good idea - thanks! It's our first TA, so we're hoping the weather will be good enough for that!

"To each his own, but we enjoy dinner and a show in our cabin once or twice a week"

What a good laugh I got from this post , gotta wonder about that show in the cabin !

Stop at the dining room during the day and ask for a copy of the dinner menu , they are happy to give it to you to take back to your room to order , and sometimes the next days menu is on the reverse !

Oooooo good idea - thanks! It's our first TA, so we're hoping the weather will be good enough for that!

Since you are in a Deluxe Suite -- you can also arrange through the concierges -- to have afternoon tea for everyone in your cabin -- also hot and cold appetizers. Need to order this before Noon.

Archived