Captains Circle

lhall85917

This is just a little vent, but I thought I'd share anyway. We have sailed on 3 cruises on Princess, two 7 day and one 10 day for a total of 24 days. Next spring we are on the Sea Princess for 29 nights (one itinerary,cannot be booked in separate legs). When finished, we will move up to platinum level in the Captain's Circle because we will have sailed 53 days (good thing that is included instead of just the number of cruises!).

It seems like it would be fair to offer at least 2 or 3credits for a cruise of this length, don't you think?

This is just a little vent, but I thought I'd share anyway. We have sailed on 3 cruises on Princess, two 7 day and one 10 day for a total of 24 days. Next spring we are on the Sea Princess for 29 nights (one itinerary,cannot be booked in separate legs). When finished, we will move up to platinum level in the Captain's Circle because we will have sailed 53 days (good thing that is included instead of just the number of cruises!).

It seems like it would be fair to offer at least 2 or 3credits for a cruise of this length, don't you think?

Since Princess takes into consideration days sailed OR number of cruises, that IMHO is the fairest way ever. We were in the same spot as you long before when they only counted the number of cruises (with no consideration of days sailed) and made Elite just before they changed the rules, only we had close to 180 days sailed and were still platinum at that point. So, I feel this new method is far more fair than the old way used to be.

Since Princess takes into consideration days sailed OR number of cruises, that IMHO is the fairest way ever. We were in the same spot as you long before when they only counted the number of cruises (with no consideration of days sailed) and made Elite just before they changed the rules, only we had close to 180 days sailed and were still platinum at that point. So, I feel this new method is far more fair than the old way used to be.

It's much fairer now than before. Like Toto, we had hundreds of days before becoming Elite by getting to 15 cruises.

Having the either number of cruises or number of days at sea brought fairness back into the system. We were in Captain's Circle in an earlier version and had the Captain's announce on our 12 day cruises that they counted as two cruises. With the new system that came which only counted the number of physical cruises, they discarded the credits given by the Captains, meaning we had to take extra cruises before we reached Platinum. Had they had the existing system crediting number of days as well we would have gotten there sooner.

The existing system lets people like yourself with long cruises get the credit they deserve toward the next Captain's Circle level.

I don't think it really matters any more how many cruises you have except for making the various levels. But when it comes to the most-sailed/traveled passengers they go by the number of days first and also list the number of cruises. So it's the person/couple with the most number of days that get the recognition on board the ship.

Like the others who have already posted, I take longer cruises for the most part and had only 12 cruises and over 150 days when Princess changed the criteria to include the number of days. I would have completed well over 200 days under the old system as one of my booked cruises was 32 days, which counted as only one cruise, the same as a 1-day cruise. That system was really unfair.

No - the number of days will trump the number of cruises in counting toward your Circle status...I think it's totally fair that way.

The number of days change awhile back really helped us out. We reached platinum status after only 4 cruises.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. It definitely sounds like this is much more fair than a strictly cruise-count option; however, I still believe that a longer cruise (perhaps over 10 days) should also give you more than one cruise credit. As those of you that do a longer cruises know, it takes you longer to advance levels with this system in place (not sure I'm saying this well :o). My thought is that receiving at least 2 cruise credits for a longer cruise seems absolutely fair.

As you know, using my 29 day cruise, if I had taken typical 7 day cruises I would gain 4 cruise credits with this number of days onboard- well on my toward moving up in levels. Counting days doesn't get me there nearly as quickly as moving from gold to platinum takes 53 onboard days, whereas I could change levels with 35 days on 7 cruises. I'm not sure how it works with shorter cruises (do they count as 1?). It seems like those who take shorter cruises have an advantage over someone with a longer itinerary and I would think that booking for a longer time would be in Princess's favor. Anyway...this is purely me thinking out loud and enjoying hearing others thoughts on this. :)

No, sorry but I don't. Several of us used to have a beef until Princess switched to days or cruises. Now, some people don't like that people can reach Platinum with less then 10 days (with coastal cruises), but I don't mind. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of my benefits.

I would really like to see another upper level added - perhaps 40 cruises or X number of days. At least it would people something to shoot for.

I honestly feel after all of the changes made lately, that would be the last thing princess would do is to give more to long time passengers. If anything, I am expecting current benefits to be cut shortly (just my opinion, but I honestly feel this is going to happen soon). Time will tell I guess.

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. It definitely sounds like this is much more fair than a strictly cruise-count option; however, I still believe that a longer cruise (perhaps over 10 days) should also give you more than one cruise credit. As those of you that do a longer cruises know, it takes you longer to advance levels with this system in place (not sure I'm saying this well :o). My thought is that receiving at least 2 cruise credits for a longer cruise seems absolutely fair.

But you're already getting credit for the number of days and it doesn't take you longer. As a matter of fact, it's faster to reach the next level. It's just not in the form of cruise credits. This is a loyalty program for repeat passengers. Look at it from that standpoint. :)

But you're already getting credit for the number of days. It's just not in the form of cruise credits. This is a loyalty program for repeat passengers. Look at it from that standpoint. :)

Love the last sentence - that puts it into perspective. Number of cruises trumps number of days - you are more loyal because you book more often!

We haven't been able to take really long cruises, so we we'll get to Elite after our 15th cruise. But I'm glad those who have can sail on longer cruises can get there by sailing 150 days also. In other words, be happy that Princess has more than one way to recognize people for getting through the different ranks and don't begrudge those who go a different route.

We haven't been able to take really long cruises, so we we'll get to Elite after our 15th cruise. But I'm glad those who have can sail on longer cruises can get there by sailing 150 days also. In other words, be happy that Princess has more than one way to recognize people for getting through the different ranks and don't begrudge those who go a different route.

No bedgruding others going on here - just trying to figure out the equities between the 2 methods. I hope everyone moves up as quickly as possible (including me!!).

No bedgruding others going on here - just trying to figure out the equities between the 2 methods. I hope everyone moves up as quickly as possible (including me!!).
The best way to achieve the next level is to move to the Pacific northwest so you can take advantage of the several 1-, 2-, and 3-day cruises a year. If you lived there, you could technically achieve Platinum after a total of five days cruised.

I honestly feel after all of the changes made lately, that would be the last thing princess would do is to give more to long time passengers. If anything, I am expecting current benefits to be cut shortly (just my opinion, but I honestly feel this is going to happen soon). Time will tell I guess.

Yea, I suppose your right but even if they had another level with a different color card & maybe a glass of cheap champagne waiting in the cabin for the real high levels it might be something to shoot for. At this point I'm not sure if we will be continuing to cruise Princess or change over to RCCL depending on the outcome of the new year. When you think about it there's really not much they can cut from the perks unless they increase the number of days people need to get them. Possibly limiting laundry & Internet to Elite only? Take that away & the people would be leaving in droves.

I would really like to see another upper level added - perhaps 40 cruises or X number of days. At least it would people something to shoot for.

Not an unreasonable suggestion. Some of the airlines have recently added higher tiers or provided additional perks to those in their highest tier who greatly exceed that tier's requirements.

With the demographics of the Baby-Boomers retiring, many more people will have the time to cruise (assuming many planned well for retirement they'll have some $ too). I think this event would motivate a cruise line to re-examine it's tiering options in conjunction with the market segment it intends to serve.

Love the last sentence - that puts it into perspective. Number of cruises trumps number of days - you are more loyal because you book more often!

That´s fine if you are right near a port and can pick up overnighters, 2 or 3 day cruises and be a frequent repeat passenger, but for us poor souls who live a long way away...for us Europe, that´s not a possibility, so using the number of days cruising is fairer than the number of cruises taken

Sandy in Spain

. Possibly limiting laundry & Internet to Elite only? Take that away & the people would be leaving in droves.

It would not surprise me in the least if soon we don't find the internet benefit being cut in half (or at least decreased again), and the laundry service limited to so much per cruise (very limited as to so many pieces sent in that are complimentary and the rest charged for), and as you say, for Elites only.

I guess for me, I don't see any new positives for long time passengers, but just the opposite. I feel they are targeting the new passengers to Princess, and as many have reported, new passengers seem to have been getting better pricing then past passengers lately. Depending on how this 'no discounting' rule goes, that will tell whether those frequent Princess repeaters take to this sort of thing, or if they jump ship. I just can't help but think they have more 'up their sleeves' that will come out soon. Hopefully I am wrong in my feeling on this, but it would not surprise me in the least little bit. So for us, we are just waiting in the wings to see how all of this turns out. I don't like cancelling cruises, and so I am not booking any more until I see what happens after the first of the year. There is nothing worse that booking and finding out after final payment date that your benefits have been slashed to the bone, and what you thought you were getting, you aren't. I have always trusted Princess, but lately, that trust has huge holes in it, which does not make me feel comfortable anymore.;)

The best way to achieve the next level is to move to the Pacific northwest so you can take advantage of the several 1-, 2-, and 3-day cruises a year. If you lived there, you could technically achieve Platinum after a total of five days cruised.

A couple of years ago we met a young couple on a cruise. They were Elite, a status that they received in less than 30 days taking 1 & 2 day cruises on the west coast. They really wanted that black card!

It would not surprise me in the least if soon we don't find the internet benefit being cut in half (or at least decreased again), and the laundry service limited to so much per cruise (very limited as to so many pieces sent in that are complimentary and the rest charged for), and as you say, for Elites only.

I guess for me, I don't see any new positives for long time passengers, but just the opposite. I feel they are targeting the new passengers to Princess, and as many have reported, new passengers seem to have been getting better pricing then past passengers lately. Depending on how this 'no discounting' rule goes, that will tell whether those frequent Princess repeaters take to this sort of thing, or if they jump ship. I just can't help but think they have more 'up their sleeves' that will come out soon. Hopefully I am wrong in my feeling on this, but it would not surprise me in the least little bit. So for us, we are just waiting in the wings to see how all of this turns out. I don't like cancelling cruises, and so I am not booking any more until I see what happens after the first of the year. There is nothing worse that booking and finding out after final payment date that your benefits have been slashed to the bone, and what you thought you were getting, you aren't. I have always trusted Princess, but lately, that trust has huge holes in it, which does not make me feel comfortable anymore.;)

TOTO I feel the same way. I sure hope that Princess is reading this. Because we have booked the last two cruises 18 months out, we get no offers now either e-mail or snail mail.

Archived