Guest Speaker Topics

marypat01

Hi Celebrity cruisers, what topics would YOU like to hear during your cruise?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Hi Celebrity cruisers, what topics would YOU like to hear during your cruise?

• I want to hear about REAL pirates, like Blackbeard and Calico Jack.
    • Tell me about ancient civilizations, such as the Olmec, Maya, Aztec and Taino!
    • Wow, some of the islands are volcanic and others are not. WHY?
    • How did the European "discovery" of the Americas change the Caribbean?
    • Is there any truth about places like the Bermuda Triange or stories about Atlantis?
    • The plants and animals of the Caribbean fascinate me - tell me more!
    • I'd like to hear more about the modern history of the Caribbean (20th & 21st century).
    • The Caribbean was inhabitated 1,000s of years before Columbus - who were they?
    • What happened to the natives in the Caribbean in the years after Columbus?
    • Hm - there are other topics I would like to hear. I have posted some below.

Okay - you a cruiser on Celebrity, enjoying the Caribbean - it is a Sea Day and you are wondering which of the many fantastic activities you want to attend. Aha! There is a guest speaker - not talking about the excursions offered at the next port, nor the best stores to shop at, but someone talking about the history, culture, people of the Caribbean. Which topic to attend? Let's take a vote!

I vote for exactly what you posted; guest speakers who focus on the history, culture, and people of the upcoming ports. We enjoyed the guest speakers onboard our Alaskan cruise on the Millenium and wondered why X didn't do the same for other destinations. It would also be great if these guests reviewed suggested walking tours of ports for passengers who decide to not take a structured tour.

It would also be great if these guests reviewed suggested walking tours of ports for passengers who decide to not take a structured tour.

Kathy - sounds like an idea, however the cruise line typically does NOT want a guest speaker suggesting that passengers not take a cruise line sponsored excursion. It would be a bit of a conflict. That speaker might never be invited back. However, a speaker could talk about the history of the island and points of interest in a way that enhances a passenger's experience on the island, which would, of course, encourage the passenger to take that cruise line again.

Personally, I talk about the history, people, culture, well, everything in the poll. I am merely trying to establish passengers' priorities so I will continue to be invited back to speak. I have not spoken on a Celebrity ship before, so I am trying to find out their and your preferences through this poll. I usually speak on Princess or Royal Caribbean.

Fair winds and following sails be to you!

Patrick

Hi Patrick, sorry, I misunderstood the original question. I thought you were looking for a wish list of sorts. I do realize that Celebrity wouldn't want guest speakers to help passengers opt out of tours. I do think it would be great if Celebrity would support guest speakers to provide a port overview (minus the sales pitch) that incorporates what you typically cover. IMO this was a missing element on some of the cruises we've been on and I would highly endorse such an event.

Hi Patrick, sorry, I misunderstood the original question. I thought you were looking for a wish list of sorts. I do realize that Celebrity wouldn't want guest speakers to help passengers opt out of tours. I do think it would be great if Celebrity would support guest speakers to provide a port overview (minus the sales pitch) that incorporates what you typically cover. IMO this was a missing element on some of the cruises we've been on and I would highly endorse such an event.

No need to apologise. It is a wish list, just not that type.

'Course, you can always create a wish list poll yourself. I believe the cruise lines do read these posts.

Pat

.....Personally, I talk about the history, people, culture, well, everything in the poll. I am merely trying to establish passengers' priorities so I will continue to be invited back to speak. I have not spoken on a Celebrity ship before, so I am trying to find out their and your preferences through this poll. I usually speak on Princess or Royal Caribbean.
Any or all of the topics on your list would be of interest to me -- or not. It would depend upon the speaker. A good speaker can make just about any subject interesting. A poor speaker can take an interesting topic and make it dry as dust.

Regardless of your poll results, I would say to start out by picking a topic you love for your first presentation, something that excites and interests you. That will make it a lot easier to convey your enthusiasm to your audience. If you grab passengers with your first presentation, they will be back for your next one and the word will spread.

I am thinking of Brent Nixon and Milos Radakovitch, a couple of Celebrity's most popular naturalists who speak about a wide variety of subjects and get top reviews whenever they speak, regardless of the subject.

Not only do they make it a priority to be well prepared and knowledgeable about their subject matter, but they make their presentations both entertaining and interesting.

If you ever have a chance to attend their talks, I think that would give you a good idea of the type of presentation that appeals to Celebrity passengers.

Patrick, once you are assigned a Celebrity ship and itinerary, I hope you will post it here to let everyone know.

I'd also like programs on the food/food customs and arts and literature of the ports we will be visiting.

Ahhhh Sandi.....the food topics:D sounds good to me as well:)

I have really enjoyed the nature and geology lectures. Did listen to one 'expert' talk on Atlantis and the Egyptian/S American pyramids but it was full of bull. Never mentioned the huge differences between them and basically made up stuff to try to connect them. Very poor. By the way, that 'lecture' was on Carnival - fitting.

Den

Sorry, not really answering the question. I've found the best lectures to be on TA cruises. My favorite include: Shirley Jones discussing her life on Broadway, Hollywood and TV: John Maxtone-Graham, "The Only Way to Cross"; The Director of the Goddard Space Center (can't recall her name) discussing "The Solar System and New Planets". These wouldn't fit into the Caribbean schedules as they require multiple days.

On our Eclipse Transatlantic last year there were two speakers provided by a Smithsonian program. One did a series on the giant squid and another did a series on pirates, navigation and sailing history. Additionally, a member of the entertainment staff was an expert on the Titanic and did a three part series about the disaster. All of them were packed full so Celebrity must know that passengers are interested in this sort of thing.

Archived