NCL Freestyle vs Non-Freestyle

slavearlen

Just returned from NCL Epic out of Barcelona and had a fabulous time. It was a beautiful ship, staff was extremely friendly and the solo cabin was a welcome pleasure to avoid the single supplement expense. All in all we had the best time.

Everyone has their preferences, etc. so you will never get everyone to agree on anything but for me just a couple of things:

1.) Freestyle for me was not something I would want to experience again. I noticed that it allows for casual attire 24/7 and infact everyone was more than casual the entire trip. I like the idea of everyone dressing up at least twice a week as most of the world has gone so casual we rarely get this opportunity.

2.) Freestyle also offered lower quality food in the Manahattan Dining Room and the Garden Cafe. The higher quality food was in the specialty restaurants at a price of $25/pp. Extra expense. The best speciality restaurant where I felt the cost was justified from a food quality standpoint as well as it's unique experience was the Teppanyaki Japanese Restaurant of which we ate at twice. Exceptional food there. Otherwise the "free" dining was poor as was the customer service.

3.) The solo cabin was a delight for the most part but have a couple of suggestions. First of all I was in cabin 11515 which was at the end of the hallway next door to the storage room. They were banging around in that room at all hours so good luck sleeping in ...

4.) The solo cabin bed needs to be downsized. Exceptional mattress and sheets as I was very comfortable but the need for that size bed in such a small room is unnecessary. It takes up too much space which also only allows for 8 inches between the bed and the closets. Too cramped and needs to be downsized.

5.) Room Service sucks! Breakfast choices are NOT!!! Saw alot of people up and down the elevators getting food from the Garden Cafe ... so why bother. Get dressed and go eat as room service no good. Also, no room service menu in the solo cabins .. hint, hint!

6.) O'Sheehan's breakfast not so good. Didn't see or experience a "good" breakfast anywhere on the ship which I felt was odd.

7.) Disembarkation and Embarkation was excelllent all the way around for a ship this size. They did a great job handling the passengers as you NEVER realized or even saw everyone. Smooth as silk.

8.) The cost of the excursions is a gagger!!! We sucked it up and paid and never was disappointed in any of the excursions. They were excellent with excellent lunch choices, etc. So it appears the cost did equal the experience. Glad we paid but hated the cost nonetheless.

9.) The Vatican was completely insane. Sure this was not an NCL issue most likely more a Vatican issue. People were packed like sardines and herded through the Vatican like a packed herd of cattle. It was unbelievably miserable. The Vatican should control how many people can be herded through there at once. If there had been an emergency there would have been NO SAVING US!! Everyone noticed the same thing and was really surprised at the issue. Once your in there you can't leave. Your stuck. We could not take pictures otherwise we would have lost our group and been trampled over. The tour moved quickly and constantly. Also, we have literally 6 mins in the gift shop!!!! That upset everyone .....

10.) When the excursions say "lots of walking" here is what they DO NOT SAY!!! Cobble stones are hell to walk on and even though it seems we should all know that Pompeii is cobble stones the excursion info does not tell you this. There were people with walking issues trying to balance their steps on these cobble stones and having walking difficulties. Also, WEAR TENNIS SHOES. I did but some people wore flip flops!!!! NOT!!

11.) The next thing that is not clear on the excursions is that the buses do not drop you off directly in front of what you will be seeing. Generally the buses park where buses park and the tour guide walks you to the Vatican or whatever you are scheduled to see. Can be along walk if you have walking issues and nothing in Italy is flat. All up or down hill if not stairs. I think given that the excursions are open to everyone onboard they should be more definitivie in their descriptions. Otherwise the tour guides and buses were excellent.

I have sailed RCCL and Celebrity many times and I think I like their concept best. Does not mean anything bad towards NCL as they do a great job at what they do. I just like the assigned dinner mates and formal attire. The older style cruise experience is more suited to my taste.

Thanks to the staff onboard for their service as they were excellent and one thing NCL allows is interaction with the crew which other lines do not. They were fun and extremely accommodating!!!

Enjoy!

Very nice review! I personally love the freestyle concept, however, I certainly understand that it is not for all. I never liked the idea of having to dine with people I do not know. Believe it or not I am a people person too, so go figure! In any event, your review was very candid and very skillfully written as to not slam NCL. We appreciate that as so many posters will slam NCL when the only factor involved was that the Freestyle Concept was not for them.

Just returned from NCL Epic out of Barcelona and had a fabulous time. It was a beautiful ship, staff was extremely friendly and the solo cabin was a welcome pleasure to avoid the single supplement expense. All in all we had the best time.

Everyone has their preferences, etc. so you will never get everyone to agree on anything but for me just a couple of things:

1.) Freestyle for me was not something I would want to experience again. I noticed that it allows for casual attire 24/7 and infact everyone was more than casual the entire trip. I like the idea of everyone dressing up at least twice a week as most of the world has gone so casual we rarely get this opportunity.

2.) Freestyle also offered lower quality food in the Manahattan Dining Room and the Garden Cafe. The higher quality food was in the specialty restaurants at a price of $25/pp. Extra expense. The best speciality restaurant where I felt the cost was justified from a food quality standpoint as well as it's unique experience was the Teppanyaki Japanese Restaurant of which we ate at twice. Exceptional food there. Otherwise the "free" dining was poor as was the customer service.

3.) The solo cabin was a delight for the most part but have a couple of suggestions. First of all I was in cabin 11515 which was at the end of the hallway next door to the storage room. They were banging around in that room at all hours so good luck sleeping in ...

4.) The solo cabin bed needs to be downsized. Exceptional mattress and sheets as I was very comfortable but the need for that size bed in such a small room is unnecessary. It takes up too much space which also only allows for 8 inches between the bed and the closets. Too cramped and needs to be downsized.

5.) Room Service sucks! Breakfast choices are NOT!!! Saw alot of people up and down the elevators getting food from the Garden Cafe ... so why bother. Get dressed and go eat as room service no good. Also, no room service menu in the solo cabins .. hint, hint!

6.) O'Sheehan's breakfast not so good. Didn't see or experience a "good" breakfast anywhere on the ship which I felt was odd.

7.) Disembarkation and Embarkation was excelllent all the way around for a ship this size. They did a great job handling the passengers as you NEVER realized or even saw everyone. Smooth as silk.

8.) The cost of the excursions is a gagger!!! We sucked it up and paid and never was disappointed in any of the excursions. They were excellent with excellent lunch choices, etc. So it appears the cost did equal the experience. Glad we paid but hated the cost nonetheless.

9.) The Vatican was completely insane. Sure this was not an NCL issue most likely more a Vatican issue. People were packed like sardines and herded through the Vatican like a packed herd of cattle. It was unbelievably miserable. The Vatican should control how many people can be herded through there at once. If there had been an emergency there would have been NO SAVING US!! Everyone noticed the same thing and was really surprised at the issue. Once your in there you can't leave. Your stuck. We could not take pictures otherwise we would have lost our group and been trampled over. The tour moved quickly and constantly. Also, we have literally 6 mins in the gift shop!!!! That upset everyone .....

10.) When the excursions say "lots of walking" here is what they DO NOT SAY!!! Cobble stones are hell to walk on and even though it seems we should all know that Pompeii is cobble stones the excursion info does not tell you this. There were people with walking issues trying to balance their steps on these cobble stones and having walking difficulties. Also, WEAR TENNIS SHOES. I did but some people wore flip flops!!!! NOT!!

11.) The next thing that is not clear on the excursions is that the buses do not drop you off directly in front of what you will be seeing. Generally the buses park where buses park and the tour guide walks you to the Vatican or whatever you are scheduled to see. Can be along walk if you have walking issues and nothing in Italy is flat. All up or down hill if not stairs. I think given that the excursions are open to everyone onboard they should be more definitivie in their descriptions. Otherwise the tour guides and buses were excellent.

I have sailed RCCL and Celebrity many times and I think I like their concept best. Does not mean anything bad towards NCL as they do a great job at what they do. I just like the assigned dinner mates and formal attire. The older style cruise experience is more suited to my taste.

Thanks to the staff onboard for their service as they were excellent and one thing NCL allows is interaction with the crew which other lines do not. They were fun and extremely accommodating!!!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the good, candid review. It's always good to hear cruising perspectives from those travelers who have cruised on other cruise lines.

You are right freestyle is not for everyone. And if you have issues with the way other people are dressed than it is definitely not the type of cruise for you.

Food is subjective and therefore you are welcome to your opinion on whether you think NCL’s food is of “lower quality” in the MDR. However you claim “freestyle” offers this. No freestyle offers many choices for you to choose from. I think what you meant to say is “NCL offers”, of course in your opinion.

Regarding the excursions, did you check the activity level of the excursion you wished to take. Most of the Vatican excursions I’ve researched are at a level 2. Was your excursion suppose to be a level 1?

Level 2

“Tours with this activity level involve a considerable amount of physical activity such as substantial walking over sobblestone street, uneven or steep terrain, climbing stairs, or extended periods of standing. Not recommended for guests with physical limitations. Comfortable, sturdy shoes are recommended.”

Sorry you didn’t find more to enjoy with your cruise. Glad you enjoyed the crew.

Slavearlen - thank you for your review. You know, everyone has their own "comfort zone" and preferences for cruises. Kudos for stepping out and trying something new. You don't know what you have or what you're missing unless you try something else. Nothing wrong with preferring another line and it's customs. That's why there are so many different cruise lines!!

One thing you really got on was the excursions. Now, I always DIY myself, so I have no experience with ship-sponsored excursions. Did you feel that the "levels" listed between your usual lines and NCL were different? Was a "level1" here harder than a similarly-listed level on your usual lines? Just curious - some others venturing out might be interested.

One thing you really got on was the excursions. Now, I always DIY myself, so I have no experience with ship-sponsored excursions. Did you feel that the "levels" listed between your usual lines and NCL were different? Was a "level1" here harder than a similarly-listed level on your usual lines? Just curious - some others venturing out might be interested.

This is why I asked this question above of the OP. There are no "level 1" ship sponsored excursions to the Vatican except those "self tour at your own pace and comfort". All the ship sponsored excursions for the vatican are "level 2". I have quoted from the NCL site what "level 2" is and I know when we were on the Star that information was right beside the excursion pamphlets.

I think a little more research may have alleviated a lot of issues with this.

As you, I think this information could be very helpful to future cruisers. Level of NCL excursions is not a popular subject on these threads and maybe should be address a little more frequently. It probably is addressed on the port of call threads, I very seldom are over there, unless I have a need.

Was the dress code a surprise? Why book a cruise if you know in advance it won't be to your liking?

The problem, in my opinion, with NCL's dress code is large gap between their STATED code and what they actually enforce. It's hard to make informed booking choices under those circumstances.

The problem, in my opinion, with NCL's dress code is large gap between their STATED code and what they actually enforce. It's hard to make informed booking choices under those circumstances.

Are you talking about the old NCL dress code or the new one that has only been out for a few months. There are very few restrictions so there isn't much to enforce.

Jeans are allowed everywhere, shorts are allowed everywhere but 2 restaurants. I think to have a "large" gap someone would have to enter in their birthday suit.

Are you talking about the old NCL dress code or the new one that has only been out for a few months. There are very few restrictions so there isn't much to enforce.

Jeans are allowed everywhere, shorts are allowed everywhere but 2 restaurants. I think to have a "large" gap someone would have to enter in their birthday suit.

The OP complained about allowing casual attire 24/7 and not having formal nights...here's the exact quote:

"Freestyle for me was not something I would want to experience again. I noticed that it allows for casual attire 24/7 and infact everyone was more than casual the entire trip. I like the idea of everyone dressing up at least twice a week as most of the world has gone so casual we rarely get this opportunity. "

Casual attire and lack of formal nights would have been true even under prior versions of the dress code...only the exact definition of what is allowed in the dining rooms has changed.

I agree.

I think the "gap" that some talk about is the gap between what some wish the dress code was and the reality of what the dress code actually is. ;)

The OP complained about allowing casual attire 24/7 and not having formal nights...here's the exact quote:

"Freestyle for me was not something I would want to experience again. I noticed that it allows for casual attire 24/7 and infact everyone was more than casual the entire trip. I like the idea of everyone dressing up at least twice a week as most of the world has gone so casual we rarely get this opportunity. "

Casual attire and lack of formal nights would have been true even under prior versions of the dress code...only the exact definition of what is allowed in the dining rooms has changed.

Is there some quoting function you have turned off on your computer?

I wasn't speaking to the OP, I was questioning only the post I quoted by mtwingcpa. "The problem, in my opinion, with NCL's dress code is large gap between their STATED code and what they actually enforce. It's hard to make informed booking choices under those circumstances."

Not if you happen to have a sleepover! :D

Both times I was in a Studio there was a room service menu. If there wasn't all you needed to do was ask the steward to get one for you.

Surprising. I really like the breakfast choices in the Garden Cafe. Fantastic pastries and breads, smoked salmon, cheeses, omelettes made to order, cereals, breakfast meats, fruit.

I agree on the "casual attire and lack of formal nights", which was not what my post was about. Actually the dress code has changed this was an excerpt from a Pearl daily in February 2010.

Notice where it says "no shorts are permitted in any of our restaurants, except the garden cafe after 5pm" And Jeans were not allowed in the "Summer Palace"

rule.jpg.08783d844880556d90334da235f0e2b2.jpg

I was on the Epic in September and definitely noted the Level 2 of the excursions. I knew that the one that we did would be a very full day. We saw the Coliseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Vatican, Sistine Chapel and more in one day. We packed sneakers and socks and knew it would be a fairly hard day. Unfortunately (fortunately?) the streets in most of Europe are old and uneven, but that's part of the charm. :)

I found the food to be good in Taste/Manhattan and the specialites too, but again that is always subjective.

Glad you had a great trip, even though it's not the way you want to cruise. Most of us here on the NCL boards really love the freedom to do whatever, whenever.

Thanks for the review too!

I agree on the "casual attire and lack of formal nights", which was not what my post was about. Actually the dress code has changed this was an excerpt from a Pearl daily in February 2010.

Notice where it says "no shorts are permitted in any of our restaurants, except the garden cafe after 5pm" And Jeans were not allowed in the "Summer Palace"

I know the dress code changed after the Feb. 2010 cruise, but you're missing my point of putting that into the context of the OP's complaints about casual dress. It was already casual in 2010 (it just got a little more casual recently by expanding the dining areas that permit shorts) and there haven't been formal nights on NCL in many years, so how can someone complain about casual attire and the lack of formal nights when they should have known that already.

Is there some quoting function you have turned off on your computer?

I wasn't speaking to the OP, I was questioning only the post I quoted by mtwingcpa. "The problem, in my opinion, with NCL's dress code is large gap between their STATED code and what they actually enforce. It's hard to make informed booking choices under those circumstances."

Why would you find it necessary to reply to my post twice...with the first one including the personal attack I've highlighted above in red.

Thank you for your honest review, I have cruised with costa RCCl Celebrity carnival NCL and a ffew others. Been on european cruises 9'xs. I have a mobility problem and no what I am in store for. Sometimes when the buses go somewhere and I can only do so much I tell the guide and meet back at the bus. I love europe and am glad I was able to see the vatican on my own w/o a cruise. But other places like Pompeii I know they are gonna kill me and my legs but I really want to see it so I will tell the guide bring my cane and brace and hope for the best. And Colin I saw that lol:D

Why would you find it necessary to reply to my post twice...with the first one including the personal attack I've highlighted above in red.

The "necessity" was because I wished to add to my comment and had past the edit phase.

As for the "personal attack" comment. No it was not meant to be. You responded to my comment by quoting what the OP said, as if you were unaware that I was commenting on another poster.

I do not know all the functions of CC and therefore didn't know if you could somehow turn off the quoting portion of a post like you can with signatures. That somehow you thought I was addressing the OP's post and didn't realize I was just answering someone else.

The "necessity" was because I wished to add to my comment and had past the edit phase.

As for the "personal attack" comment. No it was not meant to be. You responded to my comment by quoting what the OP said, as if you were unaware that I was commenting on another poster.

I do not know all the functions of CC and therefore didn't know if you could somehow turn off the quoting portion of a post like you can with signatures. That somehow you thought I was addressing the OP's post and didn't realize I was just answering someone else.

OK...I understand, and I know who you were responding to in that post...I was just trying to bring the discussion into the context of the OP's post.

A very fine, candid review. This is the type of review that makes it nearly impossible for the NCL rah rah's to attack. The OP explained his dislikes and why he felt that way. He also pointed out both positives and negatives.

THIS IS WHAT ALL SHORT REVIEWS ON HERE SHOULD BE!! Great job.

I do have a slight disappointment for the OP... when I sailed on RCCL a few years ago, I was told that the "formal dress" night is just a "suggested" dress code and no longer mandatory. I questioned at least 3 people in the dining room (including the Head Waiter) and got the same response. So it appears that formal nights are becoming optional on many lines and casual attire is going to be creeping in even further. (Celebrity and HAL may stay above that however.)

I do have a slight disappointment for the OP... when I sailed on RCCL a few years ago, I was told that the "formal dress" night is just a "suggested" dress code and no longer mandatory.

From what I read on the CCL boards it's the same there.

I think to have a "large" gap someone would have to enter in their birthday suit.

How about people in wet pool cover-ups? Or shorts, t-shirts and ball caps of all descriptions? Or tattered denim work overalls?

I observed all of the foregoing in the MDR at the dinner seating (and NOT on the first night) aboard the Dawn two years ago (yes, I know that's a bit dated). I asked the maitre'd what was going on and he said they were simply not enforcing any dress code at that time. I politely asked why they bothered to publish a dress code if they had no intent of enforcing it, and he excused himself and walked off without answering.

Having been on six NCL cruises, I don't consider this to be an isolated incident. It was simply the worst example.

But I do agree that the most recent dress code I've seen (like, on the Pearl three weeks ago) is much more clearly stated than what I've seen in the past, and should be less problematic. I would also agree that anyone who boards NCL without realizing that it is a relatively CASUAL experience hasn't done their homework. :-)

Archived