Cozumel....... TONS of ships

sail7seas

On the day we are scheduled to call at Cozumel, there are something like 8 ships in. We are not scheduled to arrive until 11 A.M. Needless to say I expect the worse docking or probably tendering. What do you think the chances are we might skip the port entirely?

We haven't been there in many years and I was looking forward to a visit there. It was one of the attractions for us to book this cruise to revisit a port long off our 'radar'.

'Ya think we'll get to stop there and will it be worth attempting to get off the ship? We have an 11 P.M. scheduled departure.

Thanks.

Sail Cozumel actually has three areas where ships dock they can actually accommodate far more than 8 ships. The two newest areas that are quite a ways away from downtown will accommodate at least 10 ships. I was then in January 2010 with probably 8+ ships and it was not the least bit crowded most people do excursions in this port.

Sail Cozumel actually has three areas where ships dock they can actually accommodate far more than 8 ships. The two newest areas that are quite a ways away from downtown will accommodate at least 10 ships. I was then in January 2010 with probably 8+ ships and it was not the least bit crowded most people do excursions in this port.

Thanks, Lisa.

We haven't been to Cozumel since they were devastated with the horrible hurricane some years back.

My memory is those big docking areas are about 20 minute taxi ride from town? Is that about right?

Funny when we went to Cozumel the first few times about 18 + years ago, we didn't much care about it but now I'm eager to return.

Happy to hear it should not be a problem for us to dock at 11 A.M. and still be able to enjoy the port. (We don't care about any excursions.) We want to do our thing and do some shopping.

We were there a couple of years ago with lots of ships.

We had to tender to the International Pier -- futherest pier from town.

We also arrived at 11 Am and were scheduled to leave at 11 PM -- but it was announced that we would leave at 9 PM -- I have no idea why we left a couple of hours early.

The Carnival ships got to dock there. The pier area was very crowded.

We were there a couple of years ago with lots of ships.

We had to tender to the International Pier -- futherest pier from town.

We also arrived at 11 Am and were scheduled to leave at 11 PM -- but it was announced that we would leave at 9 PM -- I have no idea why we left a couple of hours early.

The Carnival ships got to dock there. The pier area was very crowded.

That is about what I was expecting until I read Lisa's post.

So now I don't know what to think.

Was it worth tendering to go to Interntational Pier or was it why bother?

How far to taxi to down from International Pier? I'm not sure we even care about going there but I would like some pier shopping.

I also don't care if we leave at 9 or 11 P.M. Unlike San Juan, Curacao and Aruba, we aren't apt to stay ashore for dinner in Cozumel. DH doesn't love Mexican food but I do. :o In those other islands, we always have dinner ashore.

I wonder, Lisa.......

Were you on an HAL ship for that trip? If not that might be the reason you and KK had such different experience in Cozumel when there were many ships in.

HAL often pulls the short end of the docking straw, it has been our experience........ ie Crown Bay St. Thomas and their economical contract they signed which saves them money but is hardly ideal for the guests. IMO

With the Mexican drug cartels taking over most of Mexico and more every day, we will no longer do any cruises that stop in Mexico. Last December my sister and her husband took a Western Mexico Riviera HAL cruise and while in Mazatlan there were 2 drug cartel shootings in the main street of the city. They did not feel safe and were happy to get back on the ship.:eek:

I wasn't too impressed with the International pier. They were charging an arm and a leg for anything there and when people try to rip me off I'm done:eek:. I usually go for silver jewelry and they were charging probably 3 times what it s/b. I know my prices. I've been known to drop $300-400 or more in about a half hour in Mazatlan. They have unusual pieces there and I'm known for my collection (with people at home). They always recognize me in the store I shop in Mazatlan so I'm not afraid of spending money.....just don't rip me off, which they don't.

I spent the day at Nachi Cocom and that was excellent. There were lots of people at the pier and it was crowded but it was beautiful at Nachi.

We were there in 2009 and IIRC there were 10 or 11 ships in port. There were three different locations where ships were either docked or (like us) were at anchor (we tendered into the International Pier).

I did not go into town since I went scuba diving (at a resort hotel) and on return just hung out for a drink and some souvernir shopping at the pier. As the ocean had gotten even rougher (a HAL tender was damaged after I disembarked) they replaced the ships' tenders with a huge three-decker party boat that we shared with Princess so we had long waits in between tenders. It was a bumpy ride and that night was a rough one after we left - worst sea conditions I had been on on a cruise ship.

It seems HAL usually docks at International Pier? Is that the case?

We were there in 2009 and IIRC there were 10 or 11 ships in port. There were three different locations where ships were either docked or (like us) were at anchor (we tendered into the International Pier).

I did not go into town since I went scuba diving (at a resort hotel) and on return just hung out for a drink and some souvernir shopping at the pier. As the ocean had gotten even rougher (a HAL tender was damaged after I disembarked) they replaced the ships' tenders with a huge three-decker party boat that we shared with Princess so we had long waits in between tenders. It was a bumpy ride and that night was a rough one after we left - worst sea conditions I had been on on a cruise ship.

Peter[/b]

It is sounding more and more like we shall call Cozumel a 'day at sea'. Not much of what I am reading is appealing to me.

Thanks so much for all the comments.

Might be a topic worth asking in the poarts of call forums which is what I did when I found there would be 6 ships in Belize one day in January:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1453133

Thank you for your recommendation, however, I would not have gotten the HAL specific comments I am seeking at that link. I am aware of ports of call forums but they are not always the place to go if looking for cruise line specific info pertaining to a particular port.

I am seeking HAL specific info.

Thank you though.

Cozumel has lots of port facility and is used of having large numbers of ships in port on any given date. If you are on the Ryndam, it appears to be using Puerta Maya which is the new CCL port facility. It is modern and has good facilities for getting taxis etc.

http://www.puertamaya.com/default.aspx

I wonder, Lisa.......

Were you on an HAL ship for that trip? If not that might be the reason you and KK had such different experience in Cozumel when there were many ships in.

HAL often pulls the short end of the docking straw, it has been our experience........ ie Crown Bay St. Thomas and their economical contract they signed which saves them money but is hardly ideal for the guests. IMO

Sail the time i was there when there were at least 10 ship in port as when we were on the Crown Princess but I will say that there were no ships tendering that day that I saw. That was January 2010, then was also there in September 2010 (just a year ago when we were on the Celebrity Solstice) but then that was not peak season and there were probably only 4 ships altogether in port.

I personally like the newer of the two piers which has better shopping and also has a wonderful restaurant called Poncho's Backyard that the owner also own the Ponchos in Mazatlan. Very Classy place with beautiful outside seating. It is truly my destination when going to Cozumel :D BTW Tom does not eat Mexican but he always find something to eat on the menu.

Cozumel has lots of port facility and is used of having large numbers of ships in port on any given date. If you are on the Ryndam, it appears to be using Puerta Maya which is the new CCL port facility. It is modern and has good facilities for getting taxis etc.

http://www.puertamaya.com/default.aspx

Yes that was where we were on the Crown Princess and that is where Poncho's is. Also has great shopping right there.

It has been many years for us since we visited Cozumel...before the big hurricane with all the damage done. We'll be there with the family in November and hope we can still make it to Los Cincos Soles and Pancho's Backyard for lunch, our favorite place in Cozumel..but not sure if a 20 minute cab ride would be worth it.

Is the International pier the one that is near the newer Carlos and Charlies? Does anyone know how far that would be to Los Cincos and Pancho's? they are located at the end of the strip where all the stores are.

I remember my first visit to C&C when it was upstairs in an old building...dh walked up the stairs looked around and said...no we're not staying here, only one way out...and that was at about 3:00 pm..it was jumping! The newer one is big and not quit so threatening:D

Sail the time i was there when there were at least 10 ship in port as when we were on the Crown Princess but I will say that there were no ships tendering that day that I saw. That was January 2010, then was also there in September 2010 (just a year ago when we were on the Celebrity Solstice) but then that was not peak season and there were probably only 4 ships altogether in port.

I personally like the newer of the two piers which has better shopping and also has a wonderful restaurant called Poncho's Backyard that the owner also own the Ponchos in Mazatlan. Very Classy place with beautiful outside seating. It is truly my destination when going to Cozumel :D BTW Tom does not eat Mexican but he always find something to eat on the menu.

Missed this post...are there two Ponchos now? We always went to the one inside Los Cincos..and open courtyard..great food and music...love it there:)

Thank you for your recommendation, however, I would not have gotten the HAL specific comments I am seeking at that link. I am aware of ports of call forums but they are not always the place to go if looking for cruise line specific info pertaining to a particular port.

I am seeking HAL specific info.

Thank you though.

No worries and I was just trying to help given the OP didn't mention HAL specific feedback was being sought and it seemed you were seeking more general Cozumel input.

Is it walkable from one dock to another? If we are docked or tendered to International Pier, could we walk and shop at another pier? Is it close enough/safe enough walk? Are there any security/immigration reasons why we would only be permitted to shop at the pier where we dock?

For us, if it is about 3/4 to a mile, that would be okay assuming there are sidewalks and it is safe.

Thanks.

I wasn't too impressed with the International pier. They were charging an arm and a leg for anything there and when people try to rip me off I'm done:eek:. I usually go for silver jewelry and they were charging probably 3 times what it s/b. I know my prices. I've been known to drop $300-400 or more in about a half hour in Mazatlan. They have unusual pieces there and I'm known for my collection (with people at home). They always recognize me in the store I shop in Mazatlan so I'm not afraid of spending money.....just don't rip me off, which they don't.

I spent the day at Nachi Cocom and that was excellent. There were lots of people at the pier and it was crowded but it was beautiful at Nachi.

So true -- we also found the prices of everything to be very high at the International Pier.

Archived