Finest, fanciest, newest Hal ship!!! Help!!

sargemrs

Cruised on the "O" in Aug. to Alaska. Enjoyed it immensely, but planning another "dream" cruise, with the ship being the destination, but wanted all your expert opinions about which HAL ship is the finest, sharpest, coolest cabins, etc. I understand I'll get varying degrees of answers, but trust your judgement on this!! We love fine dining, superior rooms and newer accomodations if possible.....just wondering.....Which HAL ship is the newest? I know they're all maintained well, usually, but with the traffic they get, I know it's hard after a few years so just wondered.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is the newest ship in the fleet. That's an objective statement.

Asking what is the "finest", "sharpest", "coolest cabins" (unless you mean temperature?) is subjective and will bring as many ideas as there are posters.

Personally, I prefer smaller ships, so might vote for the Prinsendam as the "finest" in the fleet, but the Amsterdam is also beautifully appointed, so that might be a contender.

I have no idea what makes a cabin "cool" in your eyes, unless you mean temperature. Even then, we all have different comfort levels.

Perhaps if you told us what you're looking for that makes the ship the best destination, we could direct you better.

Newest is the Eurodam(Fincantieri, 2008).

But finest? Prinsendam (Wartsila,1988).Built as a luxury ship, and still

a luxury ship masquerading as a premium one. (Highest rated premium

ship in Berlitz) Far and away the best ship I've sailed on in the last

decade (out of a dozen or so)

The Nieuw Amsterdam is definitely the newest. I've sailed her and the O and several of the others. I liked the O myself. However, I do think the smaller ships add a 'je ne sais quoi' - but they are not new, the rooms are not new - so for you that might not be cool. Myself, I'm heading off on the oldest ship in two weeks (the prinsendam) and absolutely can't wait:)

So cool is different things to different people:D Let us know what makes it cool for you and we will try to help:)

Cruised on the "O" in Aug. to Alaska. Enjoyed it immensely, but planning another "dream" cruise, with the ship being the destination, but wanted all your expert opinions about which HAL ship is the finest, sharpest, coolest cabins, etc. I understand I'll get varying degrees of answers, but trust your judgement on this!! We love fine dining, superior rooms and newer accomodations if possible.....just wondering.....Which HAL ship is the newest? I know they're all maintained well, usually, but with the traffic they get, I know it's hard after a few years so just wondered.

if you go to the Holland America website you can click the pull-down box and take virtual tours of all the ships and decide for yourself:

I would do it in this order:

1. Prinsendam - oldest ship, less cabin choice but HAL's elegant specialty ship

2. Nieuw Amsterdam - newest and largest ship - brand new

3. Noordam - best of the newer Vista class ships, shorter itineraries

4. Maasdam or Amsterdam - the older, but most classic of HAL smaller ships

There are other cruise lines known for more high visual impact public rooms decor, glitzier cabins and choice variety, dining options, and varying overall cruise prices. You may be asking for too much from any HAL ship because they share more in common than not, including lay-out, decor and cabin amenities, which is why they have a high comfort level for many returning passengers.

However, it also means when they make mistakes (in some of our minds) those also show up across much of the fleet as well: aft pool, Mix layout and decor, location of Explorations Cafe/Library, cheezy shop franchises ......

Eurodam is our favorite. Before that it was the Zaandam. But, the Euro is bigger & classier. I personally like all of them but my husband definitely prefers the Eurodam. The Tamarind is gorgeous. The additional of the Canelletto (not sure of the spelling, but its the Italian) was an improvement, too. It just seems more elegant.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is definitely the newest. I've sailed her and the O and several of the others. I liked the O myself. However, I do think the smaller ships add a 'je ne sais quoi' - but they are not new, the rooms are not new - so for you that might not be cool. Myself, I'm heading off on the oldest ship in two weeks (the prinsendam) and absolutely can't wait:)

So cool is different things to different people:D Let us know what makes it cool for you and we will try to help:)

Jaqqui,

Have an absolutely brilliant cruise on the P. As everyone has always said it is a very special ship.

Carole

Yes, the newest HAL ship is Nieuw Amsterdam. We are sailing her in November and fully expect to enjoy her a lot as we have had 5 great cruises on her sister ship, Eurodam. We did not expect to like Eurodam and only sailed her initially to see what was, at the time, HAL's newest ship. We were greatly surprised how much we like her.

But our favorite two ships are Noordam and Maasdam.

Noordam is the fourth and newest in the Vista Class series. She is truly beautiful and HAL really got it right with her. If they made a mistake here or there on the first three Vistas, Noordam is just right IMO

Maasdam is soo sooooo soooo special for us. We love the intimacy of that ship, her decorating, her art, her size, her large "S" Cabins, Aft Pool, Ocean Bar and her really lovely dining room, the 'club like" Pinnacle decorated with outstanding Venetian glass but most of all we love her crew.

She is, however, HAL's third oldest ship. If you require a New ship, you probably should not choose Maasdam despite the loving way she has been cared for and the wonderful condition we find her to enjoy. She just had dry dock this year which did lots of freshening and updating.

<snip>

However, it also means when they make mistakes (in some of our minds) those also show up across much of the fleet as well: aft pool, Mix layout and decor, location of Explorations Cafe/Library, cheezy shop franchises ......

I'm surprised to read this......

You really thing aft pool on Maasdam, Amsterdam, Eurodam and all the ships with the exception of Veendam and Rotterdam is a mistake? Really? What is the mistake about those wonderful out in the weather, at the stern, fabulous pool areas?

This is the first time I ever read someone thinks the HAL aft pools a mistake. :eek:

Another vote for Eurodam. We picked a forward facing spa cabin when we took the Baltic Sea cruise and still consider it to have been perhaps the best cabin we've ever enjoyed even though we have always had a balcony on every other cruise. I'm sure all the HAL ships are nice, but we were very impressed with the Eurodam. Best wishes on your next cruise, regardless of which ship!

I'm surprised to read this......

You really thing aft pool on Maasdam, Amsterdam, Eurodam and all the ships with the exception of Veendam and Rotterdam is a mistake? Really? What is the mistake about those wonderful out in the weather, at the stern, fabulous pool areas?

This is the first time I ever read someone thinks the HAL aft pools a mistake. :eek:

I got the impression reading here that the conversion of the aft pools into a splash bird bath with additional inside cabins now below was not welcomed by a large group of passengers. I shall stand corrected if this was a mistaken impression because it is not of any personal consequence to me one way or the other.

Ooops, did I fail to detect a tongue hidden in that smiley opened mouth eek?

Thje "Retreats' about you speak are only on Rotterdam and Veendam.

That is why I 'excepted' Rotterdam and Veendam in my response and question.

No other HAL ships got or will get the re-do which, indeed, has not been well received and thus the reason anymore remodels of that sort were cancelled quite some time ago.

Appreciate all the reponses. By "cool" I guess I mean modern, luxurious! And I thought maybe a newer ship might classify easier. And I knew this subject would elicit varied responses, but that's what I wanted. We aren't partiers/drinkers/gamblers. Just like elegance, efficiency and quality! (not asking for much, huh?) Spoiled, probably, but as long as we have health we plan to enjoy what we can!! Celebrated 50 years on the "O" and enjoyed every second!!

Appreciate all the reponses. By "cool" I guess I mean modern, luxurious! And I thought maybe a newer ship might classify easier. And I knew this subject would elicit varied responses, but that's what I wanted. We aren't partiers/drinkers/gamblers. Just like elegance, efficiency and quality! (not asking for much, huh?) Spoiled, probably, but as long as we have health we plan to enjoy what we can!! Celebrated 50 years on the "O" and enjoyed every second!!

Elegance, Efficiency and Quality!! Sounds like HAL to me.

Why not try the oldest, Prisendam - like most of us she's seen some (nautical) miles, but still shines among the brightest at sea and will provide you with those three requirements in spades. The one thing she might be missing is MODERN. But she is updated so no need to send a teletype to the folks back home, she is internet and cable TV ready. So often "modern" means bigger - not necesarrily better.

I think for elegant cabins you need to go up a few notches to the luxury premium cruise lines like Regent, Crystal, Silversea etc. Though while Crystal cabins are elegantly finished, they are very small and their elegant bathrooms are ridiculous when compared to the spacious but modestly finished HAL rooms.

This is the only value added I found so far between HAL basics and the luxury premium line Crystal: more elegant furnishings. But I long ago concluded if I wanted to pay these premium prices for a 7-14 day Crystal cruise I would be better off using that same money to refurnish my living room and live with the upgraded decor 24/7. Both ships feed you, bed you, get you there and entertain you. But enjoying the interior decor of Crystal does come with a price.

If you think elegance and HAL, I am afraid you will be setting yourself up for possible disappointment. There is not that level of attention to detail, the furnishings are a bit fusty, but highly serviceable. The basics like cabin size and layout and comfort are of exceptional value, but this exceptional HAL value comes at the price of not having high-end decor or finishings. It is very nice, but compare it to a moderate hotel chain and don't come expecting a boutique hotel room experience for that price.

Crystal was like a very nice Hyatt. HAL is more like a Comfort Suites or serviceable Hilton. Others can do better than I can with this hotel comparison but i think it might be the best way to have your eyes open before you board.

HAL has captured both our hearts and our pocketbooks because it does so much really well - we give a little up and get a lot back.

HAL ships are more in line with our budget and it took 50 years to even do that!! SO was just wanting HAL'S most elegant, as that's probably what we'll stick with!! Thanks for the suggestions, tho, but I'd already looked at some of the other cruise lines and YES we'd love their elegance, but we're like you, I'd rather do something else with $20,000!!! ha

HAL ships are more in line with our budget and it took 50 years to even do that!! SO was just wanting HAL'S most elegant, as that's probably what we'll stick with!! Thanks for the suggestions, tho, but I'd already looked at some of the other cruise lines and YES we'd love their elegance, but we're like you, I'd rather do something else with $20,000!!! ha

Good for you. Keep in mind most of the time in your cabin is spent sleeping or changing clothes. Less time is spent actually sitting in it and just enjoying the decor. Here again is where HAL wins, nice sized bathroom and the most divine beds you will love diving into after a long day having high adventure and entertainment. HAL delivers where it really counts - comfort.

I am glad you started a new thread. Seems like you are getting some great input on the various ships.

That Prisendam is surely sounding of interest to me after reading all the responses you have received. I do like smaller ships, but I wonder if it is too small and prone to more motion. My DH got seasick cruising the Inside Passage in August. :eek:

SO was just wanting HAL'S most elegant, as that's probably what we'll stick with!!

Then absolutely, take a good look at the Prinsendam. Although the oldest and smallest ship in the fleet, she truly is elegant in an old-world style.

Every thing has little touches that speak, softly, of attention to detail. There's a room with an attractive fireplace and big, comfy leather chairs. Perfect for curling up with a good book.

The Explorers Lounge is similarly well decorated.

That Prisendam is surely sounding of interest to me after reading all the responses you have received. I do like smaller ships, but I wonder if it is too small and prone to more motion. My DH got seasick cruising the Inside Passage in August. :eek:

Motion has to do with shape of the hull, at least as much as size of the ship.

The Prinsendam was built for long-range, round-the-world cruising. She rides rough seas at least as well as the larger ships in the fleet. Some would say better.

Archived