HA Pizza (YUCK)

Hlitner

We love HA but think the Pizza on the Prinsendam (our favorite HA ship) is possibly the worst pizza on the planet! In fact, if we bought the cheapest frozen pizza, cooked it, put it in the fridge for a week, and then reheated the pizza it would probably be better then what they serve on the Prinsendam :) Now we do understand that most of us do not cruise for the pizza, but if that was our goal we would be on Princess for every cruise because that cruise line knows how to make proper pizza.

Hank

The Westerdam has decent pizza (not as good as Princess though). I can do without pizza on HAL because the other choices in the Lido are superior to other lines buffet IMO.

Hospital pizza is the worst pizza I've ever had.

We love HA but think the Pizza on the Prinsendam (our favorite HA ship) is possibly the worst pizza on the planet! In fact, if we bought the cheapest frozen pizza, cooked it, put it in the fridge for a week, and then reheated the pizza it would probably be better then what they serve on the Prinsendam :) Now we do understand that most of us do not cruise for the pizza, but if that was our goal we would be on Princess for every cruise because that cruise line knows how to make proper pizza.

Hank

Same for Ryndam

People have different tastes in pizza, but I think most people would agree that HAL's pizza is B-A-D! HAL should send their pizza chefs to Princess to learn how to make a pizza that most people like.

Food quality and taste is very subjective. The cruise lines cannot possibly begin to satisfy everyone's idea of what things should taste like.

I worked on Princess ships for many years. I have never heard so many passenger complaints about the quality and taste of pizza on any other cruise line.

Many Americans complained that the Pizza was "too Italian". Go figure.........

If you want to cruise and eat foods that are tailored to your individual tastes, you have two options:

1. Buy your own yacht.

2. Sail on the upscale lines and tell them exactly what you want.

If you want to travel cheap and sail with the masses, you get to eat what they eat. Some of it will suit your taste, some of it will not.

they offered something called "Godfather Pizza". Someone asked me what it was and I replied " After you take a bite, you want to grab"----------

you can fill in what I might have said so I don't get banned from this Blog.

Actually the pizza isn't very good.

I was on a Carnival ship a few years ago and a guest went to the window and offered to teach the cook how to make a good pizza. It seems he owned a shop in Brooklyn and I bet his pizza ran rings around what we get served on the ship.

If you are in the South Side suburbs and love the "real" Chicago pizza, I hope you try Sanfrettello's. My favorite thin crust pizza. They have locations in the suburbs and across the border in Indiana.

In less than a week, I can try the pizza on the Zaandam but somehow, I don't think it will compare. :rolleyes:

YOU just HAD to say Sanfratello's Pizza;)!! Now I am craving it! I live in SoCal, but was born and raised in No. Indiana. My first stop is Sanfratello's Pizza when I go back for a visit. I try to get to Chicago and Gino's East too. YUM!!

I have to agree, the HAL Pizza is not that good. Of course if you are raised on Chicago & No. Indiana Pizza, you always compare other pizza to that, and none are as good!!

Frankly, I don't think it's at all bad. Indeed, the Pizza I had on the Eurodam on her Inaugural cruise was quite good. I'll be eating Pizza on the Noordam in just a few days ... I'll let you know.

Back in October I had promised that I would report on the quality of the Pizza aboard the Noordam for my Fall crossing from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. When I got home I was busy and didn't come back here much and forgot all about reporting. I'm sorry!

The Pizza on the Noordam was very good. Yes, I said it was very good. I thought the crust was superb -- crispy, tasty, flakey, not too thick or too doughy. Perhaps it could have been a little thinner ... I like thin crust Pizza as well as deep-dish/pan pizza and most every thing in-between. The sauce was also good ... not too spicy and not too runny. The cheese was good, though I would have liked a little more.

If I have any criticism of the Pizza on the Noordam it's that they had a rather limited selection -- for the entire 17-day cruise they only had 3 kinds of Pizza (4-Cheese, Pepperoni, and "Loaded"). Nevertheless, I enjoyed it the times I ate it.

Back in October I had promised that I would report on the quality of the Pizza aboard the Noordam for my Fall crossing from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. When I got home I was busy and didn't come back here much and forgot all about reporting. I'm sorry!

The Pizza on the Noordam was very good. Yes, I said it was very good. I thought the crust was superb -- crispy, tasty, flakey, not too thick or too doughy. Perhaps it could have been a little thinner ... I like thin crust Pizza as well as deep-dish/pan pizza and most every thing in-between. The sauce was also good ... not too spicy and not too runny. The cheese was good, though I would have liked a little more.

If I have any criticism of the Pizza on the Noordam it's that they had a rather limited selection -- for the entire 17-day cruise they only had 3 kinds of Pizza (4-Cheese, Pepperoni, and "Loaded"). Nevertheless, I enjoyed it the times I ate it.

Must disagree. We even think the Pizza at the Mesquite Rodeo was better...and that was after it got covered with dirt when a bull passed too close to our seat :)

Hank

Have to agree with Hlitner. I think that it is pizza for people who are used to frozen pizzas. No relationship to the real article. Besides, how can you have a decent pizza when it has been sitting under a heat lamp.

When we think of pizza, HAL or any other cruise line is not the first thing that rolls off our tongue.

Must disagree. We even think the Pizza at the Mesquite Rodeo was better...and that was after it got covered with dirt when a bull passed too close to our seat :)

Well, Hank, you have your opinion and I have mine. That's life.

I was on Noordam for 11 days this month and Ruby Princess for 7 days and thought both the pizzas were excellent.

As an aside, there is a real history to the pizza on Princess. Several years ago there was an Italian line (with Italian crew) called Sitmar (we loved this line). Sitmar had real pizza parlors on many of their ships that were staffed by Italian cooks who made the pizza from scratch (along with some pasta dishes). Alas, Princess bought Sitmar and converted their ships to Princess ships. But Princess decided to keep the Sitmar pizza tradition (which was very popular) and eventually expanded the pizza offerings to their entire fleet. To this day Princess pizza still uses handmade dough and premium toppings. We have noticed that some other lines (such as Celebrity) also make their own pizza dough. But on HA, they still use pre made pizza shells not to mention often leaving pizza under heat lamps for an extended period of time. Now we do grant that some folks enjoy that type of pizza (hence the big sales of frozen pizza at Supermarkets) but others prefer fresh pizza dough properly cooked and served from the oven...not the heat lamp :)

We also have our favorite food ideas on HA including the breakfast Eggs Benedict Bar, no-cost fresh OJ, and the wonderful sandwich bars (at lunch) where you can get a custom made fresh sandwich. Having been fortunate to have cruised on 11 different cruise lines we have discovered that every line has their pros and cons when it comes to cuisine. But we still maintain that for HA their pizza is a big con that would be relatively easy to fix.

We once suggested to a senior dining room officer that HA send their pizza chefs to Princess for training but he said he thought it would better to send them to Italy (he was Italian). Another passenger, who overheard this conversation, then suggested they send their pizza chefs to NYC for training which got a lot of laughter. Fortunately, there no Chi Town folks nearby of I am sure we would have had a different opinion :)

Hank

:D Uno's and Gino's East are my absolute faves! (Love the patty sausage.) Never tried Lou Malnati's but googled it. Uh, oh... one in close to home! I hear a pizza calling me! :D

I had Pizza once at Gino's East and got heart burn. The late Lou Malnotti used to work for Luke Sewell an the orignial UNO's. Malnottis is just as good. I have had it at their Schaumberg place on Roselle Road and I have had it in Naperville. Both were outstanding pies. I am not supposed to have it--Dr.'s orders--but I do 'fall off the wagon" in regard to Pizza. I never do this at Sea as HAL does not offer pizza with Italian Sausage.

Himself

I think that it is pizza for people who are used to frozen pizzas. No relationship to the real article.

I think otherwise and found the choices on Ryndam a slice above frozen.

Besides, how can you have a decent pizza when it has been sitting under a heat lamp.

It ain't rocket science: you get 'em when they're hot and haven't sat under a heat lamp.

I had Pizza once at Gino's East and got heart burn. The late Lou Malnotti used to work for Luke Sewell an the orignial UNO's. Malnottis is just as good. I have had it at their Schaumberg place on Roselle Road and I have had it in Naperville. Both were outstanding pies. I am not supposed to have it--Dr.'s orders--but I do 'fall off the wagon" in regard to Pizza. I never do this at Sea as HAL does not offer pizza with Italian Sausage.

Himself

I prefer Malnati's over any other deep dish, and it was Ike Sewell not Luke who started Unos.

Archived