Some practical info for a Princess newbie please??

smalldog

Hi All, I am getting ready for my first Princess cruise Nov 30. Can you please give me a few practical tips on the Princess distinctives so I know what to expect?? If it makes a difference to the answers, it's Sun Princess out of Brisbane to NZ, 14 night cruise.

1. Is the MDR only for dinner, or for breakfast and lunch as well?

2. Is the room service menu only what actually appears on the menu, or can you order other things during MDR hours (like you can on some other lines)?

3. Is there a little pullout clothesline in the bathroom?

4. How soon can you go to your cabin on the first day?

5. How long does it usually take to get your luggage into your cabin on the first day?

6. Anything else you think I should know!

Many thanks everyone! :)

Hi All, I am getting ready for my first Princess cruise Nov 30. Can you please give me a few practical tips on the Princess distinctives so I know what to expect?? If it makes a difference to the answers, it's Sun Princess out of Brisbane to NZ, 14 night cruise.

1. Is the MDR only for dinner, or for breakfast and lunch as well?...... You can get breakfast & lunch also.

2. Is the room service menu only what actually appears on the menu, or can you order other things during MDR hours (like you can on some other lines)?....... As far as I know only what is on menu.

3. Is there a little pullout clothesline in the bathroom?......Yes

4. How soon can you go to your cabin on the first day?...... As soon as you board

5. How long does it usually take to get your luggage into your cabin on the first day? .........I believe it varies, we have always had ours within an hour of boarding.

6. Anything else you think I should know! . Lots of things that you will find by going through these boards.

Many thanks everyone! :)

Have a great cruise Iain

The Main Dining Room does not serve lunch on port days, but you can eat at the buffet if you are on board.

The pull out laundry cord is in the shower.

The cabin should be ready as soon as you board and most often the luggage arrives within the first 2 hours, but occasionally will not come until after sailing.

The room service menu is quite limited. It can be found in the blue binder on the desk. A breakfast order sheet will be left on your bed each evening and you can fill it in for a continental breakfast. We often use this on port days if we have an early excursion.

Enjoy your cruise:)

The Main Dining Room does not serve lunch on port days, but you can eat at the buffet if you are on board.

The pull out laundry cord is in the shower.

The cabin should be ready as soon as you board and most often the luggage arrives within the first 2 hours, but occasionally will not come until after sailing.

The room service menu is quite limited. It can be found in the blue binder on the desk. A breakfast order sheet will be left on your bed each evening and you can fill it in for a continental breakfast. We often use this on port days if we have an early excursion.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Thank you! :)

6. Anything else you think I should know!

You'd be aware that the auto tip has been removed for Aussies. You can take a bottle of wine pp onboard at embarkation.

Be on top deck when cruising the 3 sounds...hope you have blue skies there too. Have a great cruise.

Was that information from a Suite passenger. I've never seen this on Princess.

No, it wasn't a suite person but either a mini suite or regular balcony cabin. They were surprised also when they called their order in & were told they could have anything that was being prepared that evening from the dining room. They went to check out the menu & then called back with their order which took about 45 minutes.

I can't fine the post but it was only about a week ago.

Are the cabins always ready when boarding starts ? Have only cruised RCI and you are never allowed access to your cabin until 1:00pm when they open the doors to the hallways.. even when boarding opens at 11:00am...One of the reasons I hate to have a carryon that I have to lug every where with me until then...If so "Nice" !!

Are the cabins always ready when boarding starts ? Have only cruised RCI and you are never allowed access to your cabin until 1:00pm when they open the doors to the hallways.. even when boarding opens at 11:00am...One of the reasons I hate to have a carryon that I have to lug every where with me until then...If so "Nice" !!

ready 99.9% of the time

This is because at the end of the cruise you need to be out of the cabin by around 8 AM. The convenience of access to the cabin when boarding is offset by the inconvenience of vacating it early on the last morning.

No, it wasn't a suite person but either a mini suite or regular balcony cabin. They were surprised also when they called their order in & were told they could have anything that was being prepared that evening from the dining room. They went to check out the menu & then called back with their order which took about 45 minutes.

I can't fine the post but it was only about a week ago.

You may have been referring to my post after our Emerald cruise ended October 9th. We were in a minisuite and one night called room service and ordered from the MDR menu; next night we called again, after reviewing the MDR menu, and order with no problems.

You may have been referring to my post after our Emerald cruise ended October 9th. We were in a minisuite and one night called room service and ordered from the MDR menu; next night we called again, after reviewing the MDR menu, and order with no problems.

Yes, it was your post I was referencing.

I did a search for you reply but lately the board doesn't show very many previous posts and I couldn't find it. The next time were on the ship I'll see if ordering applies to regular balcony rooms as well.

So then you can do this if staying in a mini-suite :confused:

ready 99.9% of the time

This is because at the end of the cruise you need to be out of the cabin by around 8 AM. The convenience of access to the cabin when boarding is offset by the inconvenience of vacating it early on the last morning.

What time generally does embarkation start? When is the earliest you have experienced it starting. I am quite impressed that you can go to you cabin right away . . . our first Princess cruise will be in February on the Crown.

So then you can do this if staying in a mini-suite :confused:

At least on the Emerald at this point. I haven't read anything else about the matter especially for people in lower class cabins. We'll have to test the waters very soon & see how it goes.

btw- they haven't advertised anything about the unlimited menu yet. Maybe it's a trial to see if they can keep up with the demand.

What time generally does embarkation start? When is the earliest you have experienced it starting. I am quite impressed that you can go to you cabin right away . . . our first Princess cruise will be in February on the Crown.

In most ports, boarding starts between 11:30 AM and around Noon.

Archived