How to avoid purchasing photos on board?

Has anyone ever asked the photographer to take a picture using their own personal camera? Just curious if it's like Disneyword where the professionals will take a picture for you or is this is not allowed on the ship. Cruising on Carnival Liberty. Thanks!

Has anyone ever asked the photographer to take a picture using their own personal camera? Just curious if it's like Disneyword where the professionals will take a picture for you or is this is not allowed on the ship. Cruising on Carnival Liberty. Thanks!

No, that'd be like asking a doctor to do free surgery, if he used your scalpel.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that the photographers got paid directly from the sales. I was under the impression they were just paid by the cruiseline to take the pics. I wouldn't ask them now that I know this.

Just ask a friend or even a stranger to take the picture. We often have others take ours, and I have taken pictures for many people I don't know.

No matter how skilled the photographer, DH and I are just not very photogenic, particularly when we pose. So it's pretty easy for use to pass up the professional shots.:)

We've found we get at least a few good pictures by taking lots of shots with our digital camera. We ask our tablemates and other fellow cruisers to take our picture and we do the same for them. An no need for those artificial setting the professionals use. We get much better backgrounds on the ship at at destinations - these make much better memories than a generic backgrounds. Alos there's s no standing in line!

Just to answer your question---just don't buy them.:)

We did not purchase a single photo on the Oasis last month. We had others take pics of us and that's what I will frame.

My problem is that most cruisers do not know how to use a DSLR camera. On my last cruise I convinced a photographer to take a few pics of us since he liked our camera. He did turn away others when they asked him to take their pics.

Most, if not all, professional photogs. will decline... Just ask another cruiser to snap your photo...most folks don't mind!

PLENTY of people who saw my boyfriend and I trying to snap pics of each other on our cruise (and in port) offered to take one for us. We returned with several shots of us together, and we hardly even had to ask! It's just the thing people do :)

We didn't ask our ships photographer to take our picture, she volunteered! DW and I were in waist deep water at Half Moon Cay taking each others pictures when the ships photographer offered to take a photo of both of us in one shot with our own camera. She then took a couple with her camera hoping to entice us to buy one later. I would have never imposed on her to take our photo with our own camera as I know how the game is played but she was very nice and offered on her own.

We also had many fellow passengers volunteer to take our photo at other stops along the way and everyone was happy to do so. We usually reciprocated with them.

We were on the Sapphire Princess last year and saw many folks trying to take a picture of their picture, but the crew was on top of it and didn't allow it to happen.

• 1 year later...

That will be a firm NO...they are working on board to make money by selling photos, not to provide you with free backgrounds. Dining room staff and crew will take plenty photos for you, but not the photographers. You can take photos at as many different backdrops as you want and then just select the one best for a keepsake.

Oh and don't try to take your own pics at their set ups as thy get really angry about this. We always find it hysterical to watch ppl get shooed away lol.

Yes, we like to watch also. Unbelievable that people don't understand that they make their living on these photos. really riles them when the amateur flashes his camera at the same time as them. :eek:

If you do happen to like pictures taking during a cruise I would recommend getting a picture package. Purchased one this past trip. It not every day the DH & I dress up so it was worth the money...And we had a blast getting pictures at each port and throughout the cruise...We definitely got the money's worth!!