Bucket list- Cruise to Hawaii, Round trip from San Diego

Darkwolfe

Starting to lay the groundwork for a two-week Hawaii cruise. It's still a ways out yet, but I want to pick my cruise line with some knowledge from those that have already been on this trip if at all possible.

Since my experience is all on RCCL and they aren't making the trip from San Diego any longer, that means picking out a new cruise line for the trip. That in itself is probably a good thing for me since it's easy to get in a rut and not think about doing something different.

With that said, we are a late 30s, early 40s couple that's reasonably active on vacation. We fall in best with people of all ages that are just as happy hanging from a zip line, getting sand in our toes, or relaxing in the pub with the cold drink of your choice. It's all good. Please let me know your thoughts on the various lines that are running the 14 and 15 night runs from San Diego. Much appreciated!

If you really want to experience Hawaii, do a land-based vacation.

If you want to do the "sand between your toes" thing...go Caribbean...more laid-back and the ship is the thing....as the ports are all about the same...tropical and warm!

Hawaii really needs much more time in each place than you'll get on a cruise.

Strangely enough I don't get bored on sea days. Cruising is so far afield from my day to day world, that it's almost impossible to get bored.

I do the Caribbean thing every year now lol. Branching out and I can't afford a run on the Paul Gaugin just yet.

Strangely enough I don't get bored on sea days. Cruising is so far afield from my day to day world, that it's almost impossible to get bored.

I do the Caribbean thing every year now lol. Branching out and I can't afford a run on the Paul Gaugin just yet.

Ok, just be prepared. 90% of the ship will be retired and the most strenuous activity will be lei making. I'd stay away from HAL if you're going from San Diego as that age demographic just went up 10 years. Look into Pride of America and compare the two before making your decision.

I started cruising in my late 30s. My first cruise was to Alaska on HAL's Rotterdam where I fell in love with HAL and cruising! I've sailed other cruise lines but HAL is my favorite... I just made 3-Star my last cruise! I'm still willing to try other cruise lines (Seabourn and Celebrity are next), but depending on price and itinerary if all things are equal, I'll probably be on a "Dam" ship! ;)

I am booked on the Oosterdam's 14-night RT cruise to Hawaii next March. Laffnvegas just returned from the inaugural cruise and did a "Live From." Click here to read her blog and then come join us on St. Patty's Day!

If you want to try something very very special look at Crystal Cruises. They will do this R/T out of Los Angeles (San Pedro) but it is not too far from San Diego.

For San Diego look at Celebrity and HAL. While we really enjoy Celebrity it is on one of their older ships. If not, I would have put that one over HAL.

It will be a great trip.

I do think the combined trip of sea day and islands is quite nice.

Keith

Crystal does not sail roundtrip from LA to Hawaii to my knowledge. The only cruise lines sailing roundtrip from LA to Hawaii next year are Princess (Golden and Sapphire), Disney Wonder, and Cunard's Queen Victoria. The lines sailing roundtrip from San Diego are Carnival (Spirit), Celebrity (Century) and Holland America (Oosterdam and Zaandam).

If you wish to broaden your horizons and sail from LA, I would recommend one of the Princess ships. The Queen Victoria sails only once next year in February so that probably would not work into your schedule. I love the Princess line. It has a good age mix and has a more elegant atmosphere than say Carnival or NCL lines.

If you will only consider sailing from San Diego then I would choose either the Celebrity ship (it is one of their older ships, but I think it was totally refurbished a few years ago) or one of the Holland America ships. The only difference in the HAL itineraries is that one is a 15-day cruise with an overnight in Honolulu and one is a 14-day cruise without an overnight in Honolulu.

I have sailed to Hawaii and I have done multiple land based tours and their are advantages to both. The sea days are very relaxing, calming time and very enjoyable in my view. You will also save on airfares. You could also consider the Pride of America which does a one week trip to all of the major islands roundtrip from Honolulu and then spend some land time before or after the cruise on Oahu. I have done that as well. The POA is not as upscale as Princess, HAL, or Celebrity lines, but it is still very enjoyable. You cannot go wrong with any of these choices. Hawaii is spectacular, any way you visit it.

We have sailed twice from SD to Hawaii with HAL--Holland America.

In 2012, we are sailing on Sapphire Princess RT LA.

HAL is our line of choice--we are seniors--but in 2012 we are taking our DS and DIL with us. They are 43 and 35 and wanted a more active ship--whatever that means. :)

All I can say so far, is we love HAL, but we are not very active cruisers.

Pat

I have sailed out of San Pedro before. Just this past January actually on Mariner's last MR run. Good trip and San Pedro was a much nicer town than I had expected. I would cheerfully sail from there again.

Age of fellow cruisers to me is relatively unimportant. I've been around 70-somethings that could run the 20-somethings into the ground more than once. I can't usually keep up with those guys either but it's fun to try.

Princess Patches- You hit the nail on the head in a couple of spots. Being cheap on airfare is a big plus. I only fly to get where I'm going in a hurry in the first place. It's the one part of my vacations that I'm not particularly fond of. That detail sets POA back a bit.

Celebrity is tempting if only because I can make use of the perks I've picked up with RCCL's C&A program, but it's not a deal killer for the other lines.

Off hand I'd say Celebrity and Princess are leading the list at the moment. Anything exceptional good or bad from either one on this run?

Darkwolfe- I totally agree about flying. Any time I can avoid it, I do. The airport experience leaves a lot to be desired these days.

If you have narrowed it to Celebrity and Princess, I would probably give Princess the edge. I have sailed on all three ships: Celebrity Century, Sapphire Princess, and Golden Princess. However, I sailed on Celebrity Century years ago, prior to its 2006 refurbishment so I have not seen the refurbishment. Celebrity and Princess lines are very similar. You will enjoy either. The Princess ships are about 50% larger than the Celebrity ship so there will be more amenities on the Princess ships. I think Princess has better entertainment and a better loyalty program. You might also get a cheaper airfare flying into LA rather than San Diego.

Between, the Sapphire and the Golden I would choose on price and departure date. The Sapphire sails on Saturdays and the Golden sails on Wednesdays. Sapphire is going into drydock in January and is getting a major refurbishment so will look shiny and new!

I am booked on the Century on the 15 night Circle Hawaii Cruise. I love Celebrity, and since I refuse to fly across the Pacific, (I have seen Cast Away and was a fan of Lost), getting there from San Diego on a ship is my only option. I have always been happy with my cruises onboard both RCCL and Celebrity ships.

I agree with one of the posters that you have very little time at each port, however, I believe this 15 night cruise gives you a great taste of Hawaii, and you can always return later on another cruise, (or even fly!).

I am booked on the Century on the 15 night Circle Hawaii Cruise. I love Celebrity, and since I refuse to fly across the Pacific, (I have seen Cast Away and was a fan of Lost), getting there from San Diego on a ship is my only option. I have always been happy with my cruises onboard both RCCL and Celebrity ships.

I agree with one of the posters that you have very little time at each port, however, I believe this 15 night cruise gives you a great taste of Hawaii, and you can always return later on another cruise, (or even fly!).

It's a great cruise. We took it on the Summit and had a wonderful time.

Keith

I just came back from a cruise, 2 Oct to 17 Oct 11 San Diego to Hawaii and back. On Celebrity. Do a search if you want to read it.

Found it! Looks like you had a great time except for that snafu with customs at the end.

I have read with interest, this thread. I am planning to do a circle Hawaii cruise in March 2012, and usually favor travelling on RCI and Celebrity - also have future cruise bookings with both lines. My dilemma, what is the "safest" time to cross the Pacific for this cruise. I am NOT a fan of any kind of rough seas, but have been able to put up with minor stuff more than once;)

Can anyone advise, what the weather in March is likely to be?

Thanks.

Our last two cruises have been the Hawaiian RT out of San Pedro on Princess. Love 'em. In fact, the Golden Princess has a fantastic program of Hawaiian activities and even some items on the menu each day are inspired by the islands. There's a husband and wife team Elua that provide much of the aloha feeling onboard (she's a native of the Big Island). They lead many of the uke, hula and lei-making classes, give seminars, and perform Hawaiian melodies in the Piazza and up on deck.

As someone who doesn't do flying well, this is a fantastic experience as we can drive to the port.

I have also done two land trips to Hawaii, including for my honeymoon. To me, if my family just wanted to spend time in Hawaii, we would fly there and stay in a nice hotel, rent a car and use the inter-island flights to get to one or two of the other islands. But if I'm going to do a cruise, I want the whole cruise experience, which the Princess cruise is because I'm not just using the ship as transportation, I'm using it for the activities, the relaxing, meeting people, etc. That's why my family loves sea days.

I do remember the Crystal Symphony being in port on at least a few of our ports in December. But I don't know what its schedule is this year and next year.

As for sea conditions, you can either have smooth seas or rough seas at any time of year. You cross a current that can affect your cruise. So just bring sea motion meds if you need 'em.

Hi DW,

We have sailed Rt to Hawaii twice and are going again Feb 2012.

Our blogs are below with lots and lots of pictures of each ship, food etc. We left SD with Celebrity and LA with Princess.

This Feb is out of SD with Hal. We are in our late 50's, very active, but not night owls. Hal is for sure a much older crowd....at least 20 years older than us. Many walkers, scooters and Oxygen tanks. Although it does give me hope that when we are in our 80's and 90's we can still enjoy cruising.

Princess has a younger crowd. We liked the grand class ships like the Golden. MUTS is Movies Under the Stars was really fun. The activities are always great.

We took a very old ship with Celebrity...The Mercury and found it was really in poor shape.

We love sea days and tend to walk, people watch, relax and use the pools and spa areas.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

Enjoy the blogs.

Lin

Archived