Cancer causing chemicals coat ships water tanks

Why do people always find it necessary to come to the cruise lines defense' date=' they have attorneys for that. I am an avid cruiser but am not going to give a cruise line a pass on something that was done that is detrimental to anyone's health. Don't hide under a gag order...FIX the problem. Carrot example may be true but really doesn't apply here.[/quote']

So True!!:)

Not Funny..there is no excuse for this...Now that RCCL knows of this problem, they should take immediate steps to correct it!

In that same vein, the refrigerator manufacturers, auto makers, office chair makers, luggage makers, and a host of others should also take immediate steps to correct their products because they ALL CONTAIN THE SAME CHEMICAL!!

Why allow "sensation" journalism to panic you ?? This type of article is printed to sell newspapers !!!

Try testing the water you drink right now for dangerous elements. If this has you scared, you'd faint with the report you'd get. City water commonly has arsenic, lead and many other danerous chemicals and compounds in it. The chlorine in my city water tests out perfect with my pool kit! Would you get a glass and drink it out of your pool??!! Most of these chemicals are present all over the place, in the dirt in your yard, etc. Most people handle more harmful chemicals in their everyday life than is involved in this article. Even your toothbrush is covered in Ecoli bacteria! Start reading your labels people......not concerned in the slightest about this stupid piece of hype.

I've heard the below things:

There is a chance if you fall off the ship you could die.

Drive in Mexico and they put you in jail. (Driven 14 times but no jail)

I've on sick ships but never been sick

People please quit trying to worry us to Death.......

37 cruises, 6 on Radiance and Love it

I just wrote a new story, many people who cruise Love it and have a good time...........

Do you have any idea how many chemicals (medications) are deemed safe for use in humans only to find, after several years of use, that the harmful effects that start to become apparent far out weigh any beneficial medical use?

Life is the leading cause of death. It's all about choices.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=445&tid=78

As information for those who haven't read the CDC article, I copied one important paragraph for you. Please note the statement that the chemical usually breaks down in water in one to two weeks. It also evaporates quickly.

1.1 What is acrylonitrile?

Acrylonitrile is a colorless, liquid, man-made chemical with a sharp, onion or garlic-like odor. Acrylonitrile is used mostly to make plastics, acrylic fibers, and synthetic rubber. Because acrylonitrile evaporates quickly, it is most likely to be found in the air around chemical plants where it is made. Acrylonitrile breaks down quickly in the air. It has been found in small amounts in the water and soil near manufacturing plants and hazardous waste sites. In water, acrylonitrile usually breaks down in about 1 to 2 weeks, although this can vary depending on conditions. For example, high concentrations of acrylonitrile (such as might occur after a spill) tend to be broken down more slowly. In one case, measurable amounts of acrylonitrile were found in nearby wells 1 year after a spill.

Without being able to access the original article I can't say for sure but I would assume RCCL ordered a clean and repaint as soon as the tainted paint was discovered and is probably suing the manufacturer (hence the gag order).

Unfortunately, this is all too common in construction, where a manufacturer of a product adds an unapproved or dangerous substance to keep costs down while still meeting a target standard. Anyone remember the Chinese milk standard?

Not Funny..there is no excuse for this...Now that RCCL knows of this problem, they should take immediate steps to correct it!

Life is the leading cause of death. It's all about choices.

Yeah well, I go to work everyday and attempt to help people who are trying really hard to avoid death.

My original statement was that B-carotene has health benefits in certain amounts and acrylonitrile does not. What choices are you talking about?

Yeah well, I go to work everyday and attempt to help people who are trying really hard to avoid death.

My original statement was that B-carotene has health benefits in certain amounts and acrylonitrile does not. What choices are you talking about?

A) live life, or

B) cower in fear

Never read the hazard warnings that come with table salt (or anything else that we consume/wear/apply in, on, or near our bodies), because virtually anything that keeps you alive can also kill you if concentrated. Even water can be lethal if you drink too much.

A) live life, or

B) cower in fear

Never read the hazard warnings that come with table salt (or anything else that we consume/wear/apply in, on, or near our bodies), because virtually anything that keeps you alive can also kill you if concentrated. Even water can be lethal if you drink too much.

what about choice C)...

make informed choices?

what about choice C)...

make informed choices?

All choice is either informed, misinformed., or disinformed. Your choice is simple. Is the basis for the fear attempted to be spread in this thread informed, misinformed, or disinformed.

All choice is either informed, misinformed., or disinformed. Your choice is simple. Is the basis for the fear attempted to be spread in this thread informed, misinformed, or disinformed.

I thought the choices were to....

A) live life, or

B) cower in fear

Now you are making it more complicated.

One last comment before we let this "horror story" fade away. NCL posted on the subject on the NCL board and said this incident happened in 2004, and was completely dispelled at that time.

I feel certain that all cruise lines that were mentioned in the article have long since taken the necessary steps to assure our good health and safety.

A) live life, or

B) cower in fear

Oh by the bye, my wife was telling me that she was watching a tv program and it was mentioned that salt is very beneficial and the lack off it may cause health problems--reemember when the health officials dictated that margerine was better than butter and even better than olive oil.:confused:

Archived