Burial at Sea

silverbird

This is only a curiosity question; I have no intention of doing it. Is there a possibility of someone taking a cremation urn onboard a cruise ship and scattering the ashes at sea? Would special permission be needed? Would it even be legal? This topic came up in a family discussion of what we would like done with our cremains, which led to this question.

This is only a curiosity question; I have no intention of doing it. Is there a possibility of someone taking a cremation urn onboard a cruise ship and scattering the ashes at sea? Would special permission be needed? Would it even be legal? This topic came up in a family discussion of what we would like done with our cremains, which led to this question.
Yes. We did this in January. It's doable and legal, and Princess will assist you. It's illegal if you attempt to do it yourself without permission. I posted a thread with our experience and exactly what to do. I'll try to find it and post a link.

Thanks, Jim, for posting the link.

Thanks, Jim, for posting the link.

Pam, you're very welcome. My father passed away last month and had explicit instructions that he wanted his ashes scattered under the Golden Gate Bridge. We discussed doing it on a cruise instead (Dad's favorite cruise line was Princess) and I would have referred to your thread had we done this. In the end we decided it was not our choice to alter his wishes, and we will be scattering his ashes in February as he requested.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable question and am glad you ask it and that Pam addressed it.

I've wondered if they allow it as well.

Jim, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. Distributing ashes on a cruise ship is not for everyone; it sounds like you've made the best decision for your Dad and your family. It's a very personal decision.

After posting that thread, I was amazed at the number of people who posted, or wrote to me privately, that this was exactly what they or a loved one wanted to do and that they'd printed my post and sent it to relatives or attached it to their will. It's a subject few discuss until the occasion arises.

One thing you need to be aware of is that the Golden Gate is not in international waters, and it may not be permitted there without special dispensation from the US coast guard, if you have not gotten it already.

They are often quite accomodating, if you ask first, if not, especially in this age of heightened security, they can be a bit touchy.

If you use a charter service that normally handles such things, they should arrange it.

Pam, you're very welcome. My father passed away last month and had explicit instructions that he wanted his ashes scattered under the Golden Gate Bridge. We discussed doing it on a cruise instead (Dad's favorite cruise line was Princess) and I would have referred to your thread had we done this. In the end we decided it was not our choice to alter his wishes, and we will be scattering his ashes in February as he requested.

One thing you need to be aware of is that the Golden Gate is not in international waters, and it may not be permitted there without special dispensation from the US coast guard, if you have not gotten it already.

They are often quite accomodating, if you ask first, if not, especially in this age of heightened security, they can be a bit touchy.

If you use a charter service that normally handles such things, they should arrange it.

We are well aware of the restrictions and we have properly taken care of all of the arrangements. Thank you for your concern.

We scattered my daddy's ashes in the Chesapeake Bay from a private sailboat. Never asked permission, figuring it was easier to beg forgiveness. Nobody noticed. Daddy's biodegradable. Lots worse things in that bay than the cremains of a man who spent decades sailing on it! ;)

It's not so much the environmental concerns as the potential for criminal or terrorist activity they worry about now...

We scattered my daddy's ashes in the Chesapeake Bay from a private sailboat. Never asked permission, figuring it was easier to beg forgiveness. Nobody noticed. Daddy's biodegradable. Lots worse things in that bay than the cremains of a man who spent decades sailing on it! ;)

It's not so much the environmental concerns as the potential for criminal or terrorist activity they worry about now...

Huh? :confused:

Because authorities do not know what is being dumped into the water. Could be anything legit to poisons to radioactive materials.

Exactly. For example, imagine if someone dumped radioactive iodine into the lobster beds off maine (this was an actual war game scenario a few years ago)

Because authorities do not know what is being dumped into the water. Could be anything legit to poisons to radioactive materials.

I love Disney World (during the off season, anyway) and my family used to joke about spreading my ashes "discretely" around the World. Then I read that this was not such a novel idea, and that if you're caught, they bring out guys in hazmat suits and suck up your cremains in a big heppa filtered vacuum cleaner. If I get sucked up in a vacuum cleaner, somebody is getting haunted and it's NOT the hazmat guys!!! I told my family they better replace Plan A with Plan B!!

Yep!

Supposedly there is a way to arrange for it to be done on Disney property but not in the parks. I've never been that curious.

I love Disney World (during the off season, anyway) and my family used to joke about spreading my ashes "discretely" around the World. Then I read that this was not such a novel idea, and that if you're caught, they bring out guys in hazmat suits and suck up your cremains in a big heppa filtered vacuum cleaner. If I get sucked up in a vacuum cleaner, somebody is getting haunted and it's NOT the hazmat guys!!! I told my family they better replace Plan A with Plan B!!

Yep!

Supposedly there is a way to arrange for it to be done on Disney property but not in the parks. I've never been that curious.

Before learning about the hazmat guys, I wanted to be dispatched on the Tower of Terror:eek:. If I can't be released on the Tower of Terror, I don't want to be spread in Disney at all!

Personally? For me it would be at Fantasmic, during the show, into the water.

Before learning about the hazmat guys, I wanted to be dispatched on the Tower of Terror:eek:. If I can't be released on the Tower of Terror, I don't want to be spread in Disney at all!

There was very little likelihood of being overseen in my scenario. I can see how Disneyworld might prove to be more difficult.

I have a close relative who works at Disneyland & this is definitely true there. People are always trying to release cremains into the Haunted Mansion :eek: & Pirates of the Caribbean -- the rides get shut down & it's hazmat time! (there are cameras on you every minute on those rides so you can't really get away with anything...)

I have a close relative who works at Disneyland & this is definitely true there. People are always trying to release cremains into the Haunted Mansion :eek: & Pirates of the Caribbean -- the rides get shut down & it's hazmat time! (there are cameras on you every minute on those rides so you can't really get away with anything...)

I realize it's not a ride you mentioned, but still: imagine having to spend eternity listening to "It's a Small World" over and over and over and over and over . . . .

Yep!

With the current "corporate think" of Disney I am sure that they have a way to do this if enough dollars are extracted from the grieving parties.

But burial at sea, particularly for someone who has enjoyed this element in life does sound spectatcular.

Archived